PDA

View Full Version : My hair's falling out!? :(

Kirsty
May 1st, 2010, 12:59 AM
I decided that I was going to grow my hair when it was at APL a few months ago. It was thick but easy to manage. Now it's BSL and there seems to be a lot more hair in the brush and it even falls out if I gently comb it with a wide-tooth comb. It's come out in a 'clump' on ocassion as well.

:confused: I'm really worried and I don't know what's causing it. Have any of you guys experienced this? What should I do?! I don't want to go bald :(

Gumball
May 1st, 2010, 01:10 AM
People can shed 50-100 hairs a day on average, some more and some less, with no real change in the amount of hair they have. That's how hair cycles go. In addition, people mistake shed hair as being more than it is when it's longer. What I mean by that is if you shed a hair that's 2 inches long, it's not as easily noticeable (nor takes up nearly as much space) as hair that is 14 inches long. The longer hair can seem like a whole lot more, which also can fill up a brush much faster even in the same quantity.

Things to consider when you feel you're shedding a lot:

What is your average shed?

How much are you shedding now?

What is your nutritional standpoint?

Have you had any severe illness or large amounts of stress in recent history?

ETA: Also if it's an actual shed hair you might see the root on one end of it, because the hair that will be taking its place in the new cycle will start fresh. If there is no root, then it could be breakage, which is a whole different thing to contend with.

Felix_D
May 1st, 2010, 05:54 AM
Ever since the weather has gotten a bit warmer here (over 10C most days) my hair has started falling out a lot faster. Much more sheds. I wouldn't be surprised if the weather is a factor. Not much to do about it either.

Kirsty
May 1st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Oh... Thankyou for both of your replies. I live in Australia and we're actually going into the Winter months so I don't think it's that. But I understand what you mean by the longer it is, the more seems to be falling out.

Thankyou!! I'm not freaking out anymore, I'll just see what happens. :D

christine1989
May 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM
I notice that the longer my hair gets the more it seems to shed but I think this is probobly because you notice long hairs more than short ones. Your hair probobly isn't shedding any more than normal but if it is thee is a lot you can do about it. I reduced my shedding drastically by taking biotin. It does not make hair grow much faster but it is great to reduce shedding. You might also want to try co-washing if you dont already since the ingredients in shampoo can often cause significant shedding and damage.