PDA

View Full Version : Help! Ringworm on my scalp! D:

ArienEllariel
April 30th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I had noticed a slightly itchy patch on my crown for the past few days and I didn't think much of it but tonight I put my hair in heidi braids and kinda got freaked out. There was a little pinky red circle with flakes around it on my crown. shudder:Is there any way to treat this without using oral antifungal meds? I have no idea how I got this (though a website said something about it being easily transfered from pets to humans... making me suspect my dog). Any advice would be great. I may try using a bit of Head and Shoulders Intensive Care just on that one area and see if it clears up. Having never had scalp issues before I'm kinda creeped out. What would you do in this situation? :(

Okay I just read that ringworm is probably going to make me have a bald patch! Help me out guys!/girls! I'm freaking out here! TMI-->(I want to mention that I had ringworm last year on my leg for the first time and treated it with the medicated stuff for athlete's foot and it went away but since then I've had recurring bouts of it on different areas of my body from time to time). Eek!

Misery
April 30th, 2010, 11:02 PM
You can buy medicated creams that clear it up fairly quickly. My cat and I were prescribed basically the same stuff when we got ringworm.

You'll probably want to do something about it soon though, I think it can cause hair loss.

Edit: You edited as I was typing :P

julliams
April 30th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Using Monistat on your scalp is fine. There is a whole thread on it and you will find that it is reported to actually cause faster growth. It might be a good idea to get it checked out by a dr and let them suggest something to get rid of it.

ArienEllariel
April 30th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I want to treat it with something but the stuff I used to treat the ringworm I had on my leg a while back said it's ineffective when used on the scalp.. I don't want to have to go to the doctor over something like this.. I already go for too many other reasons. :(

julliams
April 30th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Perhaps your local pharmacist can be of help?

Arctic_Mama
April 30th, 2010, 11:28 PM
My daughter got some ringworm from our church's nursery - we treated it by rubbing on topical anti fungal, Lamisil, to be specific. It went away in a few weeks.

manderly
April 30th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Lamisil on the head. I had ringworm on the backs of my legs in the 6th grade.

Schefflera
April 30th, 2010, 11:51 PM
If it keeps reoccurring in different places, it seems like you might be getting recontaminated from something you handle, or maybe (since you bring it up) passing it back and forth with your dog. It might be a good idea to make sure both of you are treated as promptly as possible when anything turns up and decontaminate your environment as much as possible.

sugarpixie10988
May 1st, 2010, 01:13 AM
After my family and I rescued a litter of stray kittens we all got ringworm! We just used the cream on our skin which worked fine. None of us got it on our scalp, but I hears castor oil is great for curing ringworm on the scalp. Here's an article I found which may help: http://www.ehow.com/how_5062899_cure-ringworm-scalp.html

ChloeDharma
May 1st, 2010, 07:18 AM
I got ringworm a few years ago, just in one place, i found that dabbing neat lavender essential oil on it cleared it up well and i've not had it since.

piratejenny23
May 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM
MTG (for horses) is supposed to be good for ringworm and can be picked up at a feed store, tack shop, Tractor Supply if you have one in your area, or even bought online. it smells bad but makes my hair grow like crazy!

in the equine supplies, there may be other products for ringworm, cheap & effective & available without a trip to the doctor.

i hope this clears up for you soon and that you don't lose any hair! good luck!

x0h_bother
May 1st, 2010, 05:37 PM
Antifungal creams. That's why the athlete's foot cream worked. GL!

Olivia23
May 1st, 2010, 07:18 PM
I cannot believe no one has mentioned tea tree oil! This stuff is used for antifungal, dandruff, etc. Just google tea tree oil and ringworm. Just make sure you dilute it first.

Gypsy
May 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM
stuff used on the body is not effective enough for the scalp- it says so right on the labels, but there is otc creams for the scalp.
And yes, Tea Tree oil is very effective.

beez1717
May 2nd, 2010, 04:03 AM
you should ask your doctor what you could do that wouldn't make your hair fall out. I think that would be your best shot.

Pallas
May 2nd, 2010, 05:10 AM
I'd suggest you try something with miconazole. It's very effective and it is one of the ingredients in Monistat, Daktrin and such. It is often used to make hair grow fatser (which is why I use it) and should also prove effective against most fungal infections.

If I recall correctly, miconazole is also in Rogine, which was/is meant to help balding men, mostly. But of course that brand is not meant for fighting ringworm.

turtlelover
May 2nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
Tea tree oil clears up ringworm quite well, though it stinks. I got it once from stray kittens, though it didn't affect my scalp. That would've FREAKED ME OUT!!! Yikes!!!!

ibleedlipstick
May 3rd, 2010, 04:05 AM
Everyone else has given you sound advice on what sort of treatments to use, and I agree with them.

Regarding the hair loss, make sure that you do not allow yourself to scratch it, even when you are sleeping. Find a way to ensure that you cannot rub it or in any way disturb the area. That is one of the few ways to help avoid major hair loss.

I have had this happen to me twice now, and I cannot stress enough the importance of keeping hands off, even patting/rubbing.

ArienEllariel
May 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Wow. I can't believe I believed my sister's word/diagnosis. I finally got a good look at the "ring" she described (because it was at a really hard to see area). It's not ringworm, just a little dandruff. The skin in that area was slightly reddened at the time. I'm relieved, yet I feel very stupid. I should have known she didn't know what she was saying and described it as a reddish pink "ring" when it was a reddish patch that has now cleared up. *shakes head*

Thanks all. Lol, false alarm. :)

Edit:As to the hair loss, I have a slight bald spot near where she was discribing as I have this habit of plucking hairs out in that area.. it's sort of a nervous habit and I just now put 2 and 2 together.

RenaBanana
May 3rd, 2010, 06:23 PM
Whew, thank goodness! I had it on my arm once, and I have to say...that stuff is freaky!

ArienEllariel
May 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hehe, I have to laugh at myself. Melodramatic me... :P