PDA

View Full Version : Is your hair completely split end free?

Meagan
April 30th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Im trying to get my hair to waist length,so far it's a couple inches past my boobs. My hair, no matter how much I take care of it I get split ends here and there, but that's normal right?
Random question....How many times a month do you use hot tools on your hair?

Thanks for your help.

Pierre
April 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I saw a bunch of splits a few days ago, but usually I can go weeks without seeing a split. I used to get splits fairly often. I don't use hot tools on my hair, but I sometimes wear it in a high ponytail (at the top of my head, so that the ends are above my bag straps), which may cause the splits.

Rennire
April 30th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Not at all! No matter how much I S&D I still find split ends. =(

I usually use a straight iron on my head about once a month. If I ever want to wear it down I have to or it's just a fluffy mess. It's been longer than a month now though.

Bianca
April 30th, 2010, 03:35 PM
My hair is actually totally free of split ends. Dont know why, cause my ends are bleached at least 3 times.

I never use any hot tools on my hair :)

mintyhot
April 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM
never use any tools, but i ALWAYS see split ends it's ridiculous. And i try so hard to keep it healthy. i find the more i put it up the less split ends

Wavelength
April 30th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I never use hot tools. I used to have lots of splits when I was growing out damage, but now that the last of the damage is gone, my ends are a lot better.

Still get splits every so often, but nothing like before.

Naamah
April 30th, 2010, 04:20 PM
My hair is never completely split free. I have fine hair. Plus, my ends are damaged from dye and heat which I am growing out. I'm hoping my hair will be less prone to splitting once I grow out all of the damage. I haven't used any heat in about a year, and I will never use it again.

Siava
April 30th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I've always got splits, especially on the left side because that's the side I sleep on. The bulk of the splits are on the chemically damaged ends. My virgin hair doesn't have a lot of splits at all.

I use hot tools a couple of times a month. It's usually a blowdry twice with the straightening iron once.

*Aoife*
April 30th, 2010, 04:30 PM
No. No matter how much I S&D or how well I mind my hair I still have tons of splits.

I don't. I used a hairdryer in September of last year. And I straightened my hair last April. So pretty much never.

Misery
April 30th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I have a lot, but I'm getting better.

Far worse than the split ends are the splits that occur some distance up the shaft...

I used a hair iron two years ago.... and twice the year before that. So, not very often at all.

skay
April 30th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Hi Meagan,

Yes, I don't have split ends - I think it's because my hair is just pretty resilient that way. I don't use any heat.

My length is only BSL so we'll see what happens as time goes by.

Arctic_Mama
April 30th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I have a hard time finding any splits in my hair when I look... I am sure I am not 100% split free, but for all practical purposes my hair is not split. I NEVER use hot tools on my hair, except maybe on my fringe once a month. And since I trim the fringe regularly, heating it doesn't bother me when I choose to do it. But I've never had a split there, either.

The bottom six inches of my hair were flat ironed and highlighted/dyed, they tend to be where I find the occasional split, but even that is very, very rare.

Birdsong
April 30th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I have so much fine hair it is hard to tell. I have not seen any in a few weeks. I try to S & D every week or two and don't use tools.

GlassEyes
April 30th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Uhh, kinda. I don't really HAVE split ends--I just get faerie knots on the last like, centimeter of my hair sometimes.

I thought that I had white dots--but then, I remembered how much gel I use, so I don't think I have those all over my hair. :p

drquartz1970
April 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I have Fine hair and it is never totally free of split ends. The last inch or so the hair has a tendency to develop dry ends after a few days after last using conditioner. Combing out the hair there is always tangles and gnarls on the last inch or so on the ends. However since doing regular S&D practices and being ever so gentle while combing and brushing the split ends have greatly reduced in number. Like another poster here my left side has more tangles then the right side due to sleeping on that side more. I think it is easier to keep split ends at bay the longer the hair grows because it is past the nape and niche at side of neck/shoulders where it can get "pinched". When it was at the awkward stage (collar length/early shoulder length it got more split ends now being able to be fully restrained in the day or night makes it easier to keep in better condition.

Lady Mary
April 30th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Sometimes I will find a kink but so far I haven't found a split end. I keep looking for them because I figure I should have at least a few... My hair is pretty thin but I always wear it up. :shrug:

GoddesJourney
April 30th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I'm still growing out some damage so getting splits is just a fact of life. Often they are a couple of inches up the shaft for some reason. I remember my hair not splitting all that much before the damage (fried by lots of chlorine in the water in the city I was in for six months or so). I never made any effort to take care of my hair until about a year ago. I washed and conditioned the entire length and ripped through it with a brush. I just took care of all my splits by trimming every few months, so maybe two to three times a year. I always kept my hair between APL and BSL.

That said, I don't heat style. I've used a curling iron about five times in my life and I've air dried my whole life. I've used the blow drier occassionally but I don't have much luck with it. It always made my hair more frizzy. Also, I don't use any styling products, ever. I hope I can get back to this very few splits thing when all the damage is out. Splits make my hair tangle. Lame.

Peregrine
April 30th, 2010, 06:41 PM
My hair is around waist length and I have a lot of splits. Drives me crazy, really. I don't use heat but for the last 7 months or so I've been in a benign neglect stage minus the benign part, so that may be why.

Teresa9000
April 30th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I used to use a hairdryer about twice a week and a straightener about once every other week, maybe more sometimes, and I had splits like crazy when my hair was just APL (my hair was never dyed, too).
The hair I have now is APL again and has never been touched with a heat styling tool and I have to look for about 5-10 minutes to find a split (and I haven't cut or trimmed my hair in 11 months!).
It does currently have two applications of henna on it, so that may be helping.

FrannyG
April 30th, 2010, 06:57 PM
My hair is very fine and I dye it, and as of today, I can't find any splits. I don't use heat products.

I do expect to find splits though as my hair gets past BSL. That seems to be the length when I see the occasional splits.

When I used heat products on a regular basis, I would find splits even at shoulder length.

pinchbeck
April 30th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Six months ago I cut off 3.5" of my length. There weren't many splits afterward, but as my hair has grown back - they're back. It seems the longer my hair get the more it splits. The texture of my hair isn't that great and it is prone to damage no matter how careful I am.

Some members with this problem have said they've learned to accept these hair quirks. I guess it time for me to do the same! If I had a magic want they would be wished away.

BattahZ
April 30th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I don't have any splits now that I've cut off my relaxed hair. I don't really get split ends unless I'm flat-ironing my hair a lot (which I don't anymore).

Jean Stuart
April 30th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I am never completly without split ends I am just happy when there are olnly a few.

Meagan
April 30th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I dont know how I will gain my desired hair length, when I always have to cut it!!
lol =(

Carolyn
April 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM
My hair will never be split free. It's always been very split prone even when I didn't color it. It's something I have to accept and deal with. I do lots of S & D. Tonight I only found about 50 splits. I tried to count. That was a good night. 50 is almost none for me. I use a hot air round brush once every 3-4 months and I let my stylist straighten it when I get my color and high lights. I can't resist letting her do that. It looks so good for a couple days.

ravenreed
April 30th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I blow dry my hair about twice a year and I still have splits. I had splits on virgin hair. I actually have less now on my longer, color-treated hair, probably because I am more careful about combing and brushing, and I think using catnip tea rinses is helping. I don't think my hair will ever be split free and I don't worry about it overly much. That is what trims are for.

spidermom
April 30th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I use 0 heat-styling tools on my hair, and I can find splits every time I look for them. It's not bad, though. When it gets bad, I have as many of them taken away in one cut as possible. Last time was January; I had 4 inches cut. My hair is almost back to the length it was then, and there are far fewer splits, so I'm happy.

Ivy~Rose
April 30th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I did a few months ago, but I got about 1-2" trimmed off because it was begging for it--the ends were super dried out (I made an incredible mistake and used a fancy new S&C set backwards--conditioning the scalp and shampooing the length :D).

I haven't found any splits yet, and I think it's because of the trim as well as me super babying my hair--updos, no ponys/hair down at work, oiling, no brushes, no heat. The last time my hair was this long, it was super damaged with a huge halo down to bsl. I think my care and attention this time around is really paying off!

DMARTINEZ
April 30th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I will have to say my hair is split free. Since joining here Ive found maybe two or three splits.
Tis the truth!

Deb

SandyStar
April 30th, 2010, 10:30 PM
My hair is past BSL and I find splits rarely. I'd find one or two during a S&D session. I don't use any heat on my hair.

Loreley
May 1st, 2010, 12:23 AM
I have them. I thought there was no such thing as a totally split-free long hair. Not even one single split. But if some LHC members tell they don't have any, I believe them. ;)
I'm growing out dye demage and my hair is very fragile there. My virgin hair is around SL-APL, and the rest is much thinner because of SD and demage. :(

Merewen
May 1st, 2010, 12:23 AM
I can pretty much always find a split end or two or thirty. Some splits are pretty normal. Yay for S&D, I say!

Oh, and I never use heat on my hair. I could say now it's because I want to take good care of my hair, yada yada, but I didn't when I didn't take care of my hair either. I just never bothered to get in the habit.

verene
May 1st, 2010, 01:09 AM
Some splits are normal for my hair. If I dust the ends of my hair with a small trim every 4-6 months, and wear my hair up much of the time, they are minimal. Right now I have a fair few from wearing my hair down and getting caught in a windstorm. :-P Silly me.

ETA: I don't use heat on my hair as I see the splits form and my hair look thrashed with in hours of using most heating appliances.

Marika
May 1st, 2010, 02:12 AM
I have probably thousands of split ends!:D I don't do S&D anymore because in my opinion it doesn't help that much (I did it for years almost daily). I don't think my hair looks that damaged even though I have lots of split ends, I'm just letting they be... I haven't used any heat tools on my hair for 10 years.

noelgirl
May 1st, 2010, 08:01 AM
My hair is not even close to split-end free! Since joining LHC, though, I have fewer of the big scary branched splits, and I S&D the white dots and smaller splits I do see. I very rarely heat style - I don't heat style at all on my own, but if I have to for a show or film shoot, then I do.

alwayssmiling
May 1st, 2010, 08:08 AM
Since I gave up heat styling (and basically start being fussy about what I put on my hair) my splits and white dots have slowed down considerably - though it has taken six months and a lot of trimming and S&ding. In fact its a great feeling when it became more searching than destroying!!

I still however, need to flat iron my fringe most days as it curls up. My fringe has loads of splits, white dots, bent bits that I have to snip off almost daily. So I KNOW that heat damage was the worst culprit for my severe breakage.

RoseRedDead
May 1st, 2010, 08:10 AM
In short, no. But I do not have very many. I never heatstyle, and try to be gentle (I know that I don't always succeed. :o)

ilovelonghair
May 1st, 2010, 08:30 AM
I can cut them off and next day they're back....with a vengeance!

EdG
May 1st, 2010, 09:24 AM
I don't get split ends, ever. :)

My ends are fragile and tend to break easily. But they don't split.

Genetics determines how susceptible one is to split ends.
Ed

halo_tightens
May 1st, 2010, 09:28 AM
The bottom six inches of my hair were flat ironed and highlighted/dyed, they tend to be where I find the occasional split, but even that is very, very rare.

Mine are more than "occasional," but yeah, they're also in the last bit that was formerly abused. My post-LHC hair seems to be in much better condition. :)

joiekimochi
May 1st, 2010, 09:36 AM
I don't have a single split end. But I do get faerie knots and some bent ends.

anrems
May 1st, 2010, 09:41 AM
Maybe once a year I end up doing a cold blow dry.. for a fancy party or something. I still get split ends though now it's getting better since I'm taking better care of keeping my hair up more often.

SurprisingWoman
May 1st, 2010, 09:43 AM
I don't have splits. I took some pic's back in November, probably for a thread like this one and never posted them.

Here is one pic, http://www.flickr.com/photos/87407543@N00/4568422988/

In case the pic doesn't show you can see it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/87407543@N00/4568422988/

I don't even own any heat styling things anymore. I had to go and buy a blow dryer so I could bathe one of my chickens and dry her so she wouldn't catch a cold. :rolleyes:

Debra83
May 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM
Don't have time to read the whole thread, so forgive me if it's already here, but Ktani has a thread somewhere about cat nip rinses/treatments that totally prevent splits for her!

Amelia
May 1st, 2010, 09:59 AM
Ever since I started to follow the advices in the LHC my hair as been split free:D I just checked today, so i know!

GlassEyes
May 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM
I don't get split ends, ever. :)

My ends are fragile and tend to break easily. But they don't split.

Genetics determines how susceptible one is to split ends.
Ed
Maybe with how the texture affects how you get split ends, but I think more of it has to do with environmental factors--heat styling, use of brushing, product build-up, rubbing against materials, etc.

Finer hair would be more prone to damage form these things, so there, genetics do play a role, but I doubt coarse hair that's brushed roughly or seared with heat would fare much better.

florenonite
May 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
I don't really pay much attention to them. If I go several months without a trim, my hair gradually gets more tangly, but that's because I can't be bothered with S&Ding (Search & Destroy; going through your hair and finding splits and snipping them), though I'll snip off a split if I see one and have my scissors handy. I'm sure I've always got some, though.

I never use hot tools on my hair.

Sunny_side_up
May 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM
I avoid any heat tools on my hair and protect it when im going to be out in the sun. Couple months ago i had a quick check and found two of em:scissors:(ooo i just discovered the rest of the smilies!) I don't regularly look through my hair closely. It's kinda being ignored really:frog:Hee hee

ktani
May 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM
I am split free with my catnip routine and have been for a looong time. Only when I have deviated from it have I got splits (2 or 3) but I immediately returned to my standard practice and the splits do not happen.

Split ends are a dryness result. My hair is fine over all and used to be very fragile. I get some white dots (mechanical damage) and breaks (very few) but no splits. See the links at the end of the Catnip Article, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118.

squiggyflop
May 1st, 2010, 02:51 PM
um i get TONS of splits and white dots.. i think most of the splits are from the white dots being left to their own devices.. which is why since ive been here ive cut off 19 inches.. not all at once it was just trimming..

oh and i mostly stopped using heat tools.. occasionally ill use an ion blowdrier.. but not very often.. maybe once a month.. and i only use it a little when i do.. for instance if im about to leave the house and my hair is almost dry but not quite ill give it a quick once over with the dryer..

i almost never used heat tools when my hair was shoulder length.. my hair would airdry into a perfect wave pattern.. people always said my hair had nice waves so i figured i would just be lazy and leave it alone..

however when my hair was 23 inches like the OP.. i dyed it ALL the time.. pink, purple, blue, blond.. non stop dyeing.. and so it was breaking off like crazy..

freckles
May 1st, 2010, 02:52 PM
My hair always has plenty of splits. I try to minimise them with gentle handling and S&D, but I never known myself to be completely free of them.

I have only used straightners and curling irons a handful of times in my life. I used to blowdry on cool/warm (never hot) for about 2 years, about once or twice a week. I quit that a month and a half (or so) ago to see if it makes a positive difference or not.

Meagan
May 1st, 2010, 03:58 PM
I don't have splits. I took some pic's back in November, probably for a thread like this one and never posted them.

Here is one pic, http://www.flickr.com/photos/87407543@N00/4568422988/

In case the pic doesn't show you can see it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/87407543@N00/4568422988/

I don't even own any heat styling things anymore. I had to go and buy a blow dryer so I could bathe one of my chickens and dry her so she wouldn't catch a cold. :rolleyes:

lol!...awh too cute.

BattahZ
May 1st, 2010, 04:56 PM
I feel like I should add this - though, as I said earlier, I don't really get split ends, my ends DO get rough after a while. They look fine, but I can tell I need a trim when they feel sort of rough and they tangle more easily. I always used to THINK I was getting split ends, but no matter how much I look, I don't spot any. But in some way my hair acts like it's split when it's time for a trim.

christine1989
May 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM
I am split end free :) but it wasn't always that way. I used to use a flat iron and blow dryer every day and mt ends looked like burnt straw. Now I never use heat tools and never get splits. I think the two must be directly related because that is the only thing I have changed.

ktani
May 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM
I have not used a blow dryer for years and I never used heat tools. When I did have split ends it was when I just used shampoo and every conditioner I could find to try. Dryness can be the result of many things including climate and indoor heating and air conditioning.

I do not comb or brush my hair . I finger separate it but it is much stronger than before. My white dots do not become splits. When my hair does catch on itself, the separation does not result in tangles and when I have been rougher on my hair, it is much more resiliant.

I have not had the time or inclination this past year during school to s&d like I used to. I do that now after a trim and I only trim my hair every 4 or 5 months unless there is a a section of hair that is bothersome and I know from that that there has been more stress and breakage. That does not happen anymore for me and when it did it was only more white dots, not splits.

Deborah
May 1st, 2010, 10:06 PM
My hair is 37 inches long, and very fine textured, but I have no splits. I don't use heat or styling products, and I wear it up a lot of the time. But really, I don't know why my hair is like it is. It grows unusually fast too. I think most of it is genetic, so the trick is to choose your parents well. :p.

Melisande
May 2nd, 2010, 12:31 AM
No spilt ends at all, no heat styling, catnip, oiling and careful handling instead. I think diluting shampoo and keeping hair up at all times help, too.

Aleria
May 2nd, 2010, 12:37 AM
I'm split end free, despite having just dyed my hair! I thought there would be some, but I couldn't see any.
My hair usually starts getting splits around waist, but maybe with careful handling this time it won't.

Jean Stuart
May 6th, 2010, 10:22 AM
My are so much better since joining LHC. I am much more carefull with my hair and learned about using olive oil and coconut oil(Wich I just started yesterday) I also think its a 10 leave in spray helped alot too. and now I keep it up and do not let it rub on the couch. Thanks so much LHC!!

kittylover
May 6th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I used to have a lot of splits when I permed my hair. Now I colour only and I don't have any splits.

Theobroma
May 6th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I have very few splits since I started oiling. I do have some, but I have to look carefully to find them despite the fact that I do blowdry (albeit with the dryer on cool; I can put the nozzle right up against my hand and leave it there and it won't feel too hot), and despite the fact that, until a few months ago, I was wearing it down pretty much all the time.

BunnyBee
May 6th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I don't use any appliances (lol) on my hair at all, I hardly have any 'true' splits, but always a few right-angle bends, which get snipped just the same. I don't know how to prevent those...

Trixie33
May 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I don't have too many split ends, but some. Getting better at the S&D.

I'm new and I must admit I haven't given up the heat tools yet, but have reduced their use.

Jenn of Pence
May 6th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I'm new, too. I had very bad heat damage and had to get two inches trimmed off almost four weeks ago now. I've also S&D-Ed the remaining damage since then. I've given up the straightener and most use of the dryer, and since doing that and adopting some more hair-friendly practices it seems like there's been a huge imrpovement in my split end production. We'll see how the progress continues!

jivete
May 6th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I haven't used heat in over two years and I still have split ends. But I also have very fragile, prone to breakage hair that just likes to get damaged. Put it up, the ends get all bend and weird. Leave it down, it gets all tangly. Sigh.

Sara_1987
May 6th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I can always find split ends. Some time more than others. Right now my lengths are pretty good, but in my bangs (which I'm growing out) I always find a ton of split ends. My bangs are terrible actually, the ends are all gross and crunchy and stick out because most of the hairs are damaged and split. :( I S&D them, but I keep on straightening them and that just keeps the splitting going.
I will now stop straightening and do one of those cute headband braids to keep my bangs away from my face and let them grow out.

I think it's normal at a certain length to have some splits at all time. My hair is past my bra strap and down ALL THE TIME so it's only normal with all the rubbing against chair backs, clothing etc....

mugglemomof3
May 6th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Even when I'd had a recent chop and hadn't used any heat on my hair for months I had tons of splits. Some people's hair is just more prone than others.

LoversLullaby
May 6th, 2010, 05:32 PM
As far as I can tell, my hair is split-end free. I got a trim back in January and have only needed to cut off 1 split end since.

LittleOrca
May 6th, 2010, 05:43 PM
My hair? Split end free?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No wait... I am not done holding my side in laughter

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So, yeah, no it's not. But it's mine and I love it anyways. ;)

pineconejg
May 6th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I don't use frying tools, but I think my hair is only free of splits because I have good genes.
JG

Ven
May 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I have oodles of splits. My hair is all virgin but the underside is much much finer and it is prone to splitting. My canopy hair is sturdier.

IcarusBride
May 7th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I rarely get split ends. I joined LHC about 2-3 months ago and that was the first time I'd ever done S&D, and there were tons of splits. Now there are hardly any.
I never use any heat styling products. In my entire life, I used a blow dryer MAYBE twice and a curling iron about 5 times, and a straightener never.

emmabovary
May 7th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I have a few splits now, but only on the chemically damaged (by thermal straightening) part, and even there it's just a few. I'd be very surprised if I got splits on my virgin hair, especially pre-waist. I pretty much never use heat styling.

fashionaddict
May 7th, 2010, 03:48 AM
I have hardly ever used heat on my hair, even before LHC. I S&D, but I definitely don't get round to do it every week. Maybe I should do it more often, because I do find splits, but since the end of my hair still has bleach and dye damage I guess it is pretty much inevitable. I would not worry about having splits if there are not a lot of them.

AgnesONutter
May 7th, 2010, 03:54 AM
My hair is rather prone to splits, sadly, especially the fine strands. It is just the way it is. I do S&D almost every night, under my reading light, in a dark room. I can see each strand really clearly that way. I never, ever heat style not even blow drying during the winter. Mostly the splits are caused by hair breaking when I'm a bit impatient with detangling after a night of sleep (tried braiding to help with it, but my fine hair manages to tangle even in braids since they come loose when I sleep).

Snowcold
May 7th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Despite all the bleaching and coloring, I don't have any split ends! Last time I had them was years ago... (but then I still frequently paid the hairdresser a visit).

Heavenly Locks
May 7th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I have virgin hair that I sometimes blow dry. When I DO blow dry it's mostly air dried already and I don't spend more than 5 minutes on it. I'd say I blow dry like that, maybe, 4-5 times a year? If that.

I have splits. I think mine are more from damage that occurs due to age and environmental wear like handling, sleeping and being worn down.

No way can I have 100% split free hair. I S&D often and I just accept that I'll never get all of them.

inertia
May 7th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I don't have that many. If I look I can find them, but I have to hunt. My hair doesn't split or break easily, even though I do a lot of things which aren't recommended.

The bottom 12 inches are still blonde underneath some layers of semi-permanent brown. My last trim was in December and I haven't done a S&D since then either. I blow-dry just about every time, often with a flat brush to straighten it, and a couple of times a month I use a hot curling iron. When I go out I usually wear my hair loose; at home I keep it in a low ponytail. During the summer when it's hot I'll put it up for comfort, but I don't wear updos for protection.