PDA

View Full Version : Need help with updos and braids for my hair!

Maverick494
April 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Hi all,

I've been growing my hair ever since I was 18 (4 years) from shoulder length to where I am now:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9237/img0791r.jpg

Anyway, now I've got it at this length, I don't know what to do with it. I don't know any updo's and keeping it loose or in a ponytail has started to bore me. Also, I want to grow it to tailbone length and I've noticed I'm getting more split ends from wearing it loose all the time.

This forum is so full of threads, I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any ideas for updo's, braids that I can use for my hair? Preferably with pictures.

Sorry for putting you at work, but I honestly don't know how to get ideas otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

Bethie
April 30th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I would start with the articles: Hair styles section (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=1) Then check out the "where you hair up" challenge thread in the Mane forum. Finally there is the "how are you wearing your hair today" thread in the Polls and Projects forum.

The first one will have pictures and videos, while the second two will give you names which you can check out on YouTube.

HTH

pilateschick7
April 30th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Welcome to LHC.

I am decidedly updo challenged. The Lazy Wrap bun is my absolute favorite right now. It does not involve elastics or pins, and will stay with 1 hairstick.

HTH:)

Maverick494
April 30th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks, the both of you!

@pilateschick7:The Lazy wrap bun...eh, where can I find a tutorial on how to do that one? Sorry, I'm a total newbie...

EtherealOde
April 30th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I found quite a bit of help on you tube, with more how-to hair videos that I will ever be able to even try! That is my main source, because I never learned about caring for or styling long hair (beyond braids, ponytail, or wearing it down) until I came here.

My own current personal favorites are the french twist, gibson tuck, lazy wrap bun, and some variations on these. To be able to do even the most basic styles you will need to invest in some hair tools/toys, and wanting your hair to be tailbone length you will need good ones in order to protect your hair. There are many inexpensive products that are ok in quality, but the ones made with long hair care in mind won't cause any damage to your hair. You can find links and pictures in the section of the forum called 'Conventional Products and Hair Accessories' and in The "Mane" Forum (this one) you can find many how=tos and tutorials. Just spend a few hours looking through the forums and you will come away with a lot of new ideas. :)

My personal favorite toys now are my Ficcare hair clips and my hairsticks. I also have a couple of hair forks made by a copper artist on Etsy, but I think most people wear wooden hair forks. Sorry I have no pictures at this time though. I am including this link which is a great place for a newcomer to the forum, it has links to a lot of good advice threads. Good luck on your hair journey, and welcome to the forum!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7806

pilateschick7
April 30th, 2010, 10:36 AM
here is a you tube video, in german but you can follow her hand/hair steps well visually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4X1wLf5_RM

I could not find it in the articles section on LHC.

(I am also computer challenged:))

Maverick494
April 30th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks! You´ve all been a great help so far!

As for the items, I admit I don´t have much. I probably even brush my hair the wrong way. I´ve been growing out my hair from a sharp, layered V shape, so I´m surprised I even got it at this length with a blunt cut. Not to mention I used to be a card carrying member of the peroxide club.

So...I´ve got a lot of learning to do. I figured I´d start with updo´s so I don´t get bored.

As for the items, do they send internationally? I'm from Europe, and hair sticks and that stuff aren't very popular over here :(

@pilateschick7: thanks for the vid, it's very helpful.

Nastasia
April 30th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Chopsticks work just fine as hairsticks. So do pencils. Etsy is a great site for hair toys, and many of the sellers are international, and have no problem shipping wherever. You can look in the "conventional hair products and accessories" board for various hairtoy makers. Careful, though, this forum is a wonderful (or terrible!) enabler of hairtoy habits :).

countryhopper
May 1st, 2010, 02:14 AM
I agree: take an evening you don't have to be anywhere to sit in front of the articles section of the thread (or youtube) and practice buns and braids as you're watching.

I find this MUCH easier to do when I'm not running out the door to go to work and trying to do a new style several times, only to fail, and stick it in a jaw clip. :) Take your time and have fun!!

And welcome!

Maverick494
May 1st, 2010, 04:46 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome! And for the tips. I do have some fancy chopsticks (that are never used because I think they're too pretty) that I can use.

I'm never much on youtube, but now I'm on there all the time, it seems ;)

Night_Kitten
May 4th, 2010, 02:12 PM
My favorite updo is the lazy wrap, I learned it from youtube (can't find the link, sorry). I bought a few cheap plastic hair sticks and filed the seams off them, and they work fine for me, at least untill I find new ones I really like :)