PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Long Layered Bunners!

restourceful
April 30th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Following in the footsteps of my bun mentor, Pixna, I'm looking for bun ideas for those of us who have long layers. I can do a lot of buns, but since my layers vary in length from my shoulders to my waist, I end up with a lot of sticky-outy bits. So for those of you with long layers who have a variety of good, secure, not so sticky-outy buns, I would love to know how you do them. I'm another who would love to be able to use a single stick or fork, but I'm not averse to the occasional amish pin (or even a bunch of them!). I prefer not to use elastics and I'm not great with a ficcare because of hand strength issues (I can't open and hold it open without using both hands). Picture instruction and video links would be so greatly appreciated as I'm a visual learner, but if it's just written instructions, I won't turn it down. I'm right-handed, but I'm fairly ambidextrous so I can go either direction. My two go to buns are cinnabun and figure-8, but I would love to have a whole arsenal! Thanks in advance!

Arctic_Mama
April 30th, 2010, 08:50 AM
A pencil bun or nautilus may also be very possible for you, I find they do not make my ends stick out badly (figure eights and infinity buns do, however!).

I believe there are YouTube tutorials available for both.

kittensoupnrice
April 30th, 2010, 08:52 AM
My current arsenal of non-sticky-out buns:

1. Lazy Wrap
2. Nautilus
3. Pretzel Bun by JJJ

As my layers are getting longer now, I can generally also manage a decent looking Spidermom's bun, and celtic knot with minimal sticky-out bits. All of these should be doable with just one stick, no elastic.

The braided cinnamon bun with 2 scroos, 1 pin, and 1 hairtie also tends to look decent depending on your braiding skill.

Arctic_Mama
April 30th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Yes, no elastics for me either. I just use a chopstick and Amish pins or good hair day pins. Even my braided buns tend to not have too many ends sticking out, two pins added within a few inches of the ends helps a lot with that, and bunning my hair damp also assists in keeping the bits in.

restourceful
April 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I can do the pencil bun, but it tends to be extremely tight, so I don't do it too often, especially since I have to tame the sticky-outies with many pins. I looked at the nautilus bun and I might be able to do it, but I may not have enough hair in my length as of yet. I haven't been able to get the lazy wrap to feel secure yet, but i have a fork on the way, so when I get it that may be the trick. I'm sure I can't do the pretzel bun or spidermom's bun that stays yet. I think I'm only at about 30" in my very longest lengths (I quit measuring), but the bulk of my layers are between APL and BSL. My braids are still really sticky-outy unless I braid wet, and I like your suggestion, Arctic_Mama, about damp bunning. I need to get some damp bun friendly sticks. All mine are wood.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm off to practice! :run: Keep the suggestions coming.

ravenreed
April 30th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I also find the lazy wrap and nautilus to be the easiest with my layers. I finally reached an length where even though the layers are still there, they seem to be mostly behaving. I have one errant lock that likes to stick straight up, but the rest are tucking in nicely.