PDA

View Full Version : fine hair ladies who colour can you grow your hair long

crystal_k
April 30th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Hi Everyone most of my life ive hovered around shoulder Apl, and maybe if lucky just past shoulder. I spoke to my uncle last night and told him i was trying to grow my hair long , he said i probably cant because i dont have that type of hair. This upset me . my hair fine fragile and slow growing but theres alot of it .Its not majorly thick but its not thin thin. Anyone with slow growing fine fragile hair managed to grow i need encouraging words thanks .:(

Francoise1606
April 30th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I'm pretty sure that you can grow your hair long, but because your hair is fine, it might be more prone to damage, so you need to take that much better care of it. My mother has extremely fine hair that still easily grows to BSL. You'll probably want to take really good care of the tips of your hair and be really gentle, then I'm sure it will grow long:) But the hair colouring is not that good for your hair, so you might want to give that up or ( if you colour it often) colour it less often.

Milui Elenath
April 30th, 2010, 05:46 AM
You most certainly can grow your hair longer! Having fine hair only determines the sort of care routine you might need. I have fine hair and although its not super fine (and I wouldn't describe it as fragile) I've known friends with even finer and thinner hair who have grown to waist.

I also know I have read other LHC posters who have described their hair as fragile and fine and those I can think of had Waist to tailbone length.

Sometimes others might give opinons simply because they can't 'visualise' you that way. Especially as you say you've hovered around APL. Perhaps your Uncle is either thinking this or just mislead by the many hair myths that still float around that are untrue.

Charlotte
April 30th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Hi there, :waving:

You can have a look at my photos if you like. :) My hair is extremely fine and only just over 2" circumference in a ponytail. It also has very fine highlights throughout which I am (probably) giving up. :o My hair is now skimming my hips. :)

I say it is possible, and with the help of the information found here at LHC, it may even look good! heh heh :D :blossom:

crystal_k
April 30th, 2010, 06:18 AM
thanks everyone and Charlotte your hair looks beautiful. Wish it was mine . as for colour im just blonde obsessed ha . Really keep saying to myself not to colour but for some reason the shorter my hair which i would say is apl now needs to look blonder otherwise i find myself less striking im not just hair obsessed looks obsessed generally so keep doing thing to myself and never happy .
I just want waist length shiny beautiful blonde hair now now now lol.

ButterCream
April 30th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Hi, I am new here but wanted to chime in anyway and let you know I have fine fragile hair and I have managed to grow it to bsl now. I have highlightet it and colored it, and although I can totally see my hair is not happy about that AT ALL (I am quitting now actually:o, I want to go back to my original haircolor, whatever that will be, lol:o)

After I started to focus on doing hairtreatment adapted to my hairtype I can totally see that this IS going to work! And I have absolute confidence that it will work for you also! HANG IN THERE and you will get there too!

You just try this for yourself, and don`t let anybodys negativity make you give up! Do as I do: make it into an experiment! I have told my family I will see how it goes and take it from there, that way they don`t talk about: "Aren`t you going to cut it soon?" and all that jazz...
Good luck!
And I have found the following to be so VERY true:
When you feel like giving up or starts to wondering about what to do, just go into the forum and look at the lovely people with equally lovely hair:eye: and get inspired! :joy:
I do, and it is totally working when I start to get all "ooo, it is growing so slooooow". Because when it boils down to it I start to think: "If they can do it, so can I!":happydance::cheer:

FrannyG
April 30th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I dye my hair and my hair is baby fine. A couple of years ago, I was closing in on waist length, with virtually no damage or splits at all.

Unfortunately, at that point, I was stupid enough to dye my already dyed hair brown, so I then had to be fairly harsh with it to get back to my usual blonde shade. So I had to cut a lot off, and I maintained my length until the worst of the damage was gone.

I'm now growing again, and I have no doubt that I'll be able to achieve waist length with relatively healthy ends and still keep on colouring.

There are many fine-haired people who colour here at LHC who have hair much longer than waist length. I've never been past that before, so I can't say from personal experience.

For me, the best trick is to do tiny trims every three months. This keeps my ends even and fuller.

Also, when you touch up your roots, don't pull the colour through as the directions recommend. The length of your hair will grab enough colour during the rinse.

jivete
April 30th, 2010, 07:08 AM
My hair is very prone to breakage when it's dyed. I know others have managed to grow their hair long with dye, but there's no way I would be able to. I still have a lot of damage on the length because of old dye and there's a huge difference in the quality of virgin vs dyed hair.

fyi, I box dyed dark.

rags
April 30th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I'm unfortunately with Jivete. When I started coloring my hair it damaged it very badly. My one experiment with blond ended up in several inches just crumbling off. I have extremely baby fine, fragile hair and it just can't take chemical processing of any kind well at all.

I do know some people with fine hair can and have dyed their hair with no problems - I just can't and grow it much past BSL in a healthy condition. Good luck with whatever you decide!

naereid
April 30th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I thought my hair was normal, but the last time I saw my hairdresser she told me "you have fine hair so it's going to be difficult to grow it out". So now I don't know what to think.

In any case, I dye and am at BSL now. I'm pretty sure that without heat and damaging products I'll be able to reach at least waist, and hopefully even further than waist.

Hang in there, you'll never know until you try! Don't give up just because someone else said you can't do it. :)

Charlotte
April 30th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Just thought I might mention, that my hair is not dyed all over as in a box dye. I don't think that my hair could take full over colour. :)

It has very fine sections pieced out and highlighted (about 10% I guess). That way, most of it is in fact my own colour (darker blonde). It's amazing how such fine highlights can "lift" the overall colour of the hair. This of course means that there is less damage to the overall hair than if you were to colour the whole lot. ;) :blossom:

az_sweetie01
April 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Well, not for nothing, I have fine hair and I color my brunette hair maybe three to four times a year and withing the last two years, I've grown to waist with no problems and very little splitting. I try not to use a curling iron ever and when I blow dry, it's on cool with a diffuser.

As frannyg said, little micro trims every couple months seems to keep the ends looking healthy and full :blossom: Good luck!

TXbarbie
April 30th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I think that you have to look at how much damage overall you're doing to your hair - if you're flat ironing, blow drying, crimping, curling, etc. AND coloring - then of COURSE your hair won't be able to take some color.

I get my hair highlighted every 6 weeks and get a trim every other time I go. My hair is an inch away from waist, split end free, and I wear it down almost every day. But I gave up the flat iron so that I could grow length.

Good luck growing! :flowers:

UP Lisa
May 3rd, 2010, 09:43 AM
I have just used a demi-permanent dye on my baby-fine hair for the 1st time, so we will see how it holds up. I don't do anything else to it that would damage it except a minimal amount of combing and brushing. It is hip-length.

Katze
May 3rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
I have mostly quite fine hair, coarser underneath and baby fine at the crown (where all the damage happens!). For years I felt I 'needed' to be blonde (to match my eyebrows, my childhood hair color, and my image of myself).

When I came here my hair would never grow past about APL, and every time I went to a salon they said things like 'let's get rid of all these old ends' and 'your hair is too thin to get long' (the old ends were natural taper and my hair is FINE but not thin).

Now after many years at LHC I know that the way I took care of my hair was a big problem. Coloring, bleaching, dyeing, highlighting, sun-in, were all part of the problem.

I have chosen to grow my hair naturally because I really am curious about my natural color (and now like it, most days!) and also want to prove them wrong - to show that with good care fine hair can be thick and healthy AND long.

Whether you choose to continue your blonde obsession is your own choice of course, but I personally find something nice about finally accepting (mostly) my own hair color. I keep thinking 'oh, I wish I were blonde' but honestly rarely see a bottle blonde in real life whose hair looks natural, and I do not want to be one of those older ladies with bleached hair. So the most I will do if I ever color again will be highlights.

However, as others have shown, there are fine hairs here who color and have long hair!