PDA

View Full Version : Growing Out Layers- A place to complain

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

JBO
April 29th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I am sure there might be a thread like this already, but I could find one that was just to complain about the awful layer growing process.

I had the worst hair cut two months ago. The women gave me 2 layers, one at mid-ear (why I will never know. That is no place for a layer) and the other was a couple inches below APL. Now I am trying to get all to one layer at BSL. Its is driving me mad. The long layer is about 1.5 in to BSL the other is about.5" from my chin.

I feel like it will never be even and worst of all, aside from half up/ half down, nothing works :(.

"Oh layers, please grow"

Sorry to complain but need to vent. I tried to talk to people I know about this and I think they thought I was crazy of obsessed because I vented about hair, told them I belong to a forum for hair, and that I was putting Monistat on my hair but it was really working, .5" in 10 days!

Ok everyone vent about layer growing

Hana
April 29th, 2010, 06:45 PM
ME.

my shortest are at shoulder length, the longest at APL where my hair is currently floating around.
*headdesk*

as much as i love my layers going all wavy and flicky, it drastically reduced my ponytail circumference and the taper is a little crazy. curse you, my desire for a blunt hemline!

i also find that the longer layers never split, and the shorter ones split the fastest. counter-productive much? haha, oh dear.

ok ok rant over. :D

BunnyBee
April 29th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I last had my hair cut "professionally" 2 years ago and I STILL can't even do a cinnabun without bits sticking out everywhere. My braids are always fluffy too. I've trimmed my hair quite a bit since then (so much I've hardly gained any length lol) So the hemline's getting thicker. I think I have a few more years with these damn layers yet, unless I cut to shoulder length :( My hair grows really slowly anyway.

Addy
April 29th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I just had 2" give or take cut off today to get rid of layers! They are not my favorite! I'm back to shoulder length with one more good trim to go to be free of them!

I will wait for awhile before the next cut though.

cmcwell
April 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM
A place to vent! Woo!

I HATE my layers. I hated them when I first got 'em, and I still do. I've got chin-length hair in the front, and then pretty longer layers almost only in the back. Mullet. Seriously. It makes my hair seem thin since I can't pull the front back into a tail.

Mum says to get the longer layers trimmed closer to the chin-length layers. She claims the shorter layers will grow faster if I do that, but I don't my hair to be that short. I'm stubborn.

Frustration...

...and a mullet.

Thank goodness my hair's in great condition.

Norai
April 29th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I have some really annoying self-inflicted layers that I cut to chin length with a dull scissors...... brilliant! They're about bsl now, but I keep trying to s&d the split layer and it keeps splitting! aghhhh

"oh yes it'd be nice to have some face-framing layers" righto.

JBO
April 29th, 2010, 07:12 PM
A place to vent! Woo!

I HATE my layers. I hated them when I first got 'em, and I still do. I've got chin-length hair in the front, and then pretty longer layers almost only in the back. Mullet. Seriously. It makes my hair seem thin since I can't pull the front back into a tail.

Mum says to get the longer layers trimmed closer to the chin-length layers. She claims the shorter layers will grow faster if I do that, but I don't my hair to be that short. I'm stubborn.

Frustration...

...and a mullet.

Mullet, that's the word I was looking for. Me too, kinda rockin' the mullet at a certain angle. Or a hair hat. Kinda like a Daniel Boon hat made of hair on top of my head.

Well at least now we can all chase the blunt hem line together.

joiekimochi
April 29th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I don't know how my layers were cut, but now, almost 6 months since my last haircut, I STILL have layers as short as mid-ear! Unless they are new growth on my canopy that have reached ear length, I can only assume that they are that short due to breakage, since I have lots of roots showing which means they ARE growing. And I have BSL hair, so imagine how drastic the layers are. My buns forever have spikes sticking out of them and my braids disintegrate easily. GAH!

Kristin
April 29th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I last had my hair cut "professionally" 2 years ago and I STILL can't even do a cinnabun without bits sticking out everywhere. My braids are always fluffy too. I've trimmed my hair quite a bit since then (so much I've hardly gained any length lol) So the hemline's getting thicker. I think I have a few more years with these damn layers yet, unless I cut to shoulder length :( My hair grows really slowly anyway.

Me. I had my last real "professional" trim 1 year ago. Two years ago I had a chin-length bob that I layered heavily as it grew out. I always liked layers until I began wearing my hair up. I may actually keep some VERY long layers when i reach goal (like layers starting around BSL). I do HATE the taper in my braids, though. :(

atlantaz3
April 29th, 2010, 08:15 PM
All I can add is that I feel your pain - but be patient they will grow out - mine did. At least you're not growing out bangs!

x0h_bother
April 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
ALthough I am also growing them out for BSL, I love my layers at APL and I will tell you why. I have wavy hair, and it seems to make my hair "blend" well and have shape. But my highest layer is close behind my ear, and I'm sure it will be difficult to grow out. Once I get to BSL with my bottom layer, I will chop consistently to BSL until the layers grow out. For now I like them!

TXbarbie
April 29th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I got bangs in August and now don't care for them too much. I also have longer layers that are maybe 2-3 inches on top of my longest layer, near my waist. The longer layers won't take too much time to grow out, it's the bangs that are going to be daunting!

julliams
April 30th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I'm always complaining about my layers, verbally and mentally. I've had them cut in for years now. I started realising I was getting the same haircut over and over and sometimes I feel like it's the only one that hairdressers know how to give to someone who has wavy hair. Then of course, they make it straight.

The last trim I had was to get rid of a growing number of splits I was noticing. She took off about an inch and a half and when she was done she looked up and said said, "now do you want some layers to frame your face?" NO! I said so quickly she looked surprised. No thanks! No more layers. She made me feel much better by telling me that I was almost there with my current "growing out". And when they are straight, they aren't too bad, but when they are wavy, they curl around my shoulders which is really annoying because the rest of my hair is BSL and if all my hair was that length I think it would look so much longer. When part of it is at shoulder length, it just looks shorter.

Arctic_Mama
April 30th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Growing out layers stinks! The shorter the layers, the worse they are on me, given my pouffy hair type. I started my journey with my longest layers around mid-jaw length and they were SO rough to manage, until they were shoulder length (tuck-behind-the-ears and back-in-a-ponytail length) and my longest length was APL.

Now that my shortedt layers are just shy of BSL and the whole wad of hair can be out up with reasonable success, it is MUCH easier to deal with the stupid layers. I still hate them, but in lieu of trims they are essentially behaving like fairytsle ends and helping my buns stay, rather than just sticking out all over the place and generally being a mess.

naereid
April 30th, 2010, 01:43 AM
LAYEEEEEEERS. :justy:

In 2008 I noticed a decrease of wavyness in my hair. No product would help. I thought it was because my length was stretching them out, so imagine what awesome curls I'd get if I got my hair SL/APL and all layered? So I told my hairdresser to give me a short cut so I can have waves. I had some layers that were so short, they wouldn't even tuck behind my ears!

I got no awesome waves, only terribly random hair. :(

The decision to grow out my hair fell a couple of months later. But I didn't worry about layers until 2010. By now, they've reached the length that my longest hairs were in 2008, while the longest length moved to a solid BSL. I learned a lot of hairstyles and info here, and layers really started to bug me. But I thought I'd first get to at least waist, than get around to maintaining there and growing them out.

Long story short (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46486), two weeks ago I started growing them out at BSL. I gotta do it, it makes no sense to keep them.

I hate them for totally stunting my progress. I should have reached waist this year. Now that won't happen. :(

doro357
April 30th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I regret getting my layers.Now I'm trying to grow out bangs and layers. Keeping my hair in a braid is hard,they are always slipping out. It drives me nuts.

BattahZ
April 30th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Urg, layers! My question is, why are the short layers always so HEAVY? I've been bunning or braiding my hair after washing it lately, and with my curls kind of pulled out that way I've begun to notice how funny my top layer of hair is. The layers kind of blend in when my hair is curly, but my top, shorter layer of hair starts almost at my ears and up my crown. I don't mind having a layer that short, but it's a LOT of hair, almost half of what's on my head, that's that short.

In fact, since I can't keep all of my hair (which is APL curly, BSL stretched) in an English braid, I've been parting it horizontally just above my ears (like a half up) and braiding the top half, then braiding the bottom half, and the two braids are about the same size. When I do that I get just about no taper, so it seems like my top layer is really heavy. Boo!

LILBERT
April 30th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I HATE my layers! :( My layers are just about shoulder length and i am trimming untill they catch up with length which is seriously annoying because im loosing ALL my length :( And the thing that really bums me out is, my longer hair is in SUPERB condition, But my layers and awful! which is why im growing them out, i need to grow them to length and trim a bit to get my hair in good shape before i grow any longer. And ive got a while to go yet!

The thing that keeps me going is i say, one day when my hair is waist length and beyond and in beautiful condition, and im able to do all these beautiful updos, i will look back on this frustrating period of growth and be glad i was patient and persistant!

But in the mean time i RANT and WHINE every place i can :p

Mutinous
April 30th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Urgh, layers :(

I'm currently growing out from a big chop to give me my virgin hair back. That was three months ago. I am going in for my second trim on the back to even it out yet again. I'm slowly getting to the stage where I can leave it all to grow for the summer without looking like a throwback to the 80s. They drive me insane though when I try to put my hair up for work.

JBO
April 30th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Reading these posts makes me wonder if some hair stylists don't try to push people into getting layers especially if they have thick hair, wavy hair, or curly hair. I think a lot of people don't know how to deal with that type of hair. Plus I have noticed a lot of stylists try to give the "generic" cut that is sorta the, "oh this is the main stream pretty hair thing." I have had that happen when I was regularly cutting my hair. If I told them I was growing it out they would always cut to APL and then layers, plus they always tried to give me blond high lights. I naturally have pitch black hair. I love my color, I don't want to be blond. It was always to "lighten it up"

Having long hair is such a statement of individuality. It makees you stand out.

I'm so glad there are others who can join me in my layer complaining.

Pear Martini
April 30th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I don't know how my layers were cut, but now, almost 6 months since my last haircut, I STILL have layers as short as mid-ear! Unless they are new growth on my canopy that have reached ear length, I can only assume that they are that short due to breakage, since I have lots of roots showing which means they ARE growing. And I have BSL hair, so imagine how drastic the layers are. My buns forever have spikes sticking out of them and my braids disintegrate easily. GAH!

My hair is exactly like yours. Weird ear length pieces on the canopy that appear to be short due to breakage but meanwhile my bottom layer is flawless :rolleyes:

mattt
April 30th, 2010, 11:30 PM
In the awkward stage so i get your pain, my bangs are down to my nose about. last time i grew it out it was just as painful. cant wait for a ponytail

Kirsty
May 1st, 2010, 01:09 AM
*raises hand*

I've been a victim of random layers for many years. My hair used to be shorter and would go bulky if I had none. But as my hair gets longer, it's not as bulky but I still have these random short layers that are so frustrating. :( It seems like the shortest layer has just stopped growing all together. The worst part is the mullet stage, but once you get past that it gets better : )

Luckily, I am past the mullet stage, it's still really annoying, though.

MOOBUG
May 1st, 2010, 05:22 AM
So THATS why my braids have sticky out bits and my buns dont hold. I must be an utter moron not to have seen this before. I have had layers cut into my hair for years because i was told it was the only way to manage wavy hair but I so long for the smooth line that a blunt end gives you. Stupid layers!! I finally understand.
Never letting anyone cut my hair again. ever!

LadyMydnytMoon
May 1st, 2010, 05:52 AM
Gah! Layers! For years it seems to be the only way to manage my hair when it was around shoulder length. It always get annoying whenever I let my hair grow so I had to keep it at my shoulders. But now I know that I have to get rid of them if I really want long hair. My hair's now nearing BSL and my shortest layer is around shoulder length. It looks a bit weird from the back but not too much :)

hmmm
May 1st, 2010, 06:15 AM
I hate that I can't wear twin braids, even at past shoulder length, because they look so thin and untidy! It's very sad. I'm never getting layers cut into my hair again.

Maverick494
May 1st, 2010, 06:29 AM
This picture was from about 2 years ago. I dyed it blonde-ish and the hairdresser had cut it into this jagged, sharp V shape. It looked horrible. I also had fringe to grow out.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9956/layers.th.jpg (http://img153.imageshack.us/i/layers.jpg/)

Anyway, I got a new hairdresser and she understood my desire to grow long hair. She said it was best to start from scratch, cut off all the dead and split ends and get a blunt cut. Then I had it to my shoulders.

Anyway, I've been growing it ever since, colored it a couple of times until I had my natural color back and now it looks like this:
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1121/img0791nx.jpg

So it does pay off.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 1st, 2010, 07:29 AM
well, i actually don't have layers. But my hair was thinned A LOT when i had extensions installed (otherwise my own hair looked like a fuzzy cap over extension hair :/ ) Now my hair looks VERY THIN. Besides, i have very short and vastly thinned front layers which doesn't even fit into my ponytail (and i have lie 6 inches-long ponytail!)

I'm not trimming my hair till i reach my goal; but at the same time i'm worried that by the time i hit TB, i'll have only a strand or two touching my tailbone >: /

Arctic
May 1st, 2010, 07:55 AM
I've been typing and erasing my thoughts so many times, trying to get them into reasonably small space and not sounding like poster child of negativity and self-pity :)

I'm with all of you, I have layers and I don't like them on me that much. But unlike all of you, mine were not originally cut, they "happened" when I had tons of breakage last year, due to various reasons (I also had other hair related misfortunes last year which I'm not going into in here, I just say I had originally healthy one-length hair).

The breakage and damage were worst on my canopy. It was so bad I decided to cut from almost upper BSL back to APL and little later to shoulder length. Even these cuts left me with lot of breakage/damage. I tried to remove gradually the damage with S&D and by cutting the shorter broken layers to look more like intentional layering. This also helped the breakage (which were several, almost horizontal, straight lines) to blend with the rest of my hair better.

Well I am not a hair dresser, but I've cut my own hair for years now. I think I got my hair to look ok. I recently noticed that my canopy layer has been practically stalling about six months for some reason, while my other hairs have been growing relatively quickly (for me). This makes this all even more frustrating. My hair has, to my knowledge, always grown evenly everywhere. Now, I'll have no idea when if ever my hair will get back to being one length.

I ignored my hair the best I could during last winter, which worked pretty well. I took care of it well but didn't look at it/ touch it other than wash/condition/DT/combing/putting it up. At the end of last month (April) I trimmed it dusted the layers and also S&Ded really throughly, which was first time in months, I took a closer look at it. I was disappointed to see how much I still have damage left. Or is it new damage? I don't know. In addition to the stalling canopy, I have been feeling very down about my hair ever since. I desided I'd get rid of as much damage as possible, in hopes that it would have a positive effect on the appearance and tangling, and in case the damage traveled upwards, to prevent that. Ofcourse this meant the canopy layer became even shorter than it had been (because it hasn't really grown).

Now, while I am pretty pleased how I have cut it, I see similar styles a lot these days, I don't like this style on me. I LOVE updos and braids, and those are difficult these days. Braids are almost impossible, even french type braids.

My plan is to grow to ~BSL and start maintaining there, I'm now at APL (with longest bits of U hem). I might decide one or two bigger trims at some point, knowing myself. But right now I feel I wouldn't want to get shorter than shoulderblade length, which I am not yet at. On the other hand I have startedto dream about short pixies and bobs. If I'd like to cut to where my shortest layer is, that would be very short bob. I have also been thinking of getting bangs. That would help me to get some new look and style, to get rid of any rest of damage I have on those front canopy hairs... This wouldn't cause any loss in thickness as the hairs are already short, about chin length.

Anyway, the worst thing is that I had one length hair and then things went wrong and I lost it. And I still am not 100% why this happened. I assume it was the dreaded protein disaster. I also seem to have minerally, alkaline water that my hair doesn't like much.

Question: I have seen in this and other threads people saying their layers get more damage than their other hair. I wonder why this is, and is it the same with everybody? Those of you who do notice they getting more damaged, more quickly, do you dust the layers? My theory is that many do not dust them, only trim the longest hairs at the hemline.

LilyLu
May 1st, 2010, 12:50 PM
My layers are the bane of my existence. hairdressers ALWAYS cut a V-shaped hemline into my curls..even if I don't want them! I'm trying to grow out my layers into a very soft U-shaped hemline. to thicken up my ends. It's been about a 9 months and I'm only now starting to see a U shape, though I'm nowhere near where I want to be. My front pieces are barely APL while my back reach mid-back. it's so so so frustrating!!! grrr
I figure it's at least another 6-8 months before my hair is evened out.

naereid
May 1st, 2010, 01:09 PM
I just uploaded a picture for another thread that nicely shows, as LilyLu said, the bane of my existence. :grnbiggri So I thought I'd post it here too!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5208&pictureid=70859

You can just see the exact line where you could make a great big chop! :scissors:

zen_oven
May 1st, 2010, 01:39 PM
Just chopped four inches off the bottom of mine, oh, an hour and a half ago? It looks and feels a lot better, but I'm a bit bummed. At least I'll start building more thickness instead of just splitting and breaking the longest layer. Sigh.

JBO
May 2nd, 2010, 09:20 PM
*bump* I like hearing everyone's stories

EtherealOde
May 3rd, 2010, 01:04 AM
I've been typing and erasing my thoughts so many times, trying to get them into reasonably small space and not sounding like poster child of negativity and self-pity :)

I'm with all of you, I have layers and I don't like them on me that much. But unlike all of you, mine were not originally cut, they "happened" when I had tons of breakage last year, due to various reasons (I also had other hair related misfortunes last year which I'm not going into in here, I just say I had originally healthy one-length hair).

The breakage and damage were worst on my canopy. It was so bad I decided to cut from almost upper BSL back to APL and little later to shoulder length. Even these cuts left me with lot of breakage/damage. I tried to remove gradually the damage with S&D and by cutting the shorter broken layers to look more like intentional layering. This also helped the breakage (which were several, almost horizontal, straight lines) to blend with the rest of my hair better.

Well I am not a hair dresser, but I've cut my own hair for years now. I think I got my hair to look ok. I recently noticed that my canopy layer has been practically stalling about six months for some reason, while my other hairs have been growing relatively quickly (for me). This makes this all even more frustrating. My hair has, to my knowledge, always grown evenly everywhere. Now, I'll have no idea when if ever my hair will get back to being one length.

I ignored my hair the best I could during last winter, which worked pretty well. I took care of it well but didn't look at it/ touch it other than wash/condition/DT/combing/putting it up. At the end of last month (April) I trimmed it dusted the layers and also S&Ded really throughly, which was first time in months, I took a closer look at it. I was disappointed to see how much I still have damage left. Or is it new damage? I don't know. In addition to the stalling canopy, I have been feeling very down about my hair ever since. I desided I'd get rid of as much damage as possible, in hopes that it would have a positive effect on the appearance and tangling, and in case the damage traveled upwards, to prevent that. Ofcourse this meant the canopy layer became even shorter than it had been (because it hasn't really grown).

Now, while I am pretty pleased how I have cut it, I see similar styles a lot these days, I don't like this style on me. I LOVE updos and braids, and those are difficult these days. Braids are almost impossible, even french type braids.

My plan is to grow to ~BSL and start maintaining there, I'm now at APL (with longest bits of U hem). I might decide one or two bigger trims at some point, knowing myself. But right now I feel I wouldn't want to get shorter than shoulderblade length, which I am not yet at. On the other hand I have startedto dream about short pixies and bobs. If I'd like to cut to where my shortest layer is, that would be very short bob. I have also been thinking of getting bangs. That would help me to get some new look and style, to get rid of any rest of damage I have on those front canopy hairs... This wouldn't cause any loss in thickness as the hairs are already short, about chin length.

Anyway, the worst thing is that I had one length hair and then things went wrong and I lost it. And I still am not 100% why this happened. I assume it was the dreaded protein disaster. I also seem to have minerally, alkaline water that my hair doesn't like much.

Question: I have seen in this and other threads people saying their layers get more damage than their other hair. I wonder why this is, and is it the same with everybody? Those of you who do notice they getting more damaged, more quickly, do you dust the layers? My theory is that many do not dust them, only trim the longest hairs at the hemline.

I have horrid canopy damage too, from years of bleaching my hair blonde (to hide the grey), highlights (so the blonde didn't look so flat), flatironing, hot rollers, and a curling iron. Plus a lot of products and sometimes backcombing. I have been trying to slowly cut the damage as my hair grows but it is taking a long time. I thought maybe long layering might help to remove the canopy damage that is where the worst of it is. But I am nervous, thinking what might happen should the cut turn out badly.

Though I haven't done any of those damaging things since a bit before I joined the LHC, plus switching to a henna/cassia blend has actually improved the look of my hair, the damage is still very obvious, looking like a frizzled poofiness on the back. What to do, what to do....?????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

xladolcevitax
May 3rd, 2010, 08:45 AM
I feel your pain ladies - also growing out layers here which i HATE and have had them for 3 years now and they are STILL not gone!!!

Shortest one is nearing shoulder length and longest ones are between APL and BSL... I really regret getting them and did so almost immediately afterwards..

Havent made much progress in length over the last 3 years because keep trimming the ends in an attempt to get rid of them... have got rid of a few of them now and cant wait to be rid of them for good!

Am going to grow to waist now before I trim again so will be a while before am totally rid of them but the longer they get the less they annoy me :rolleyes:

lemonmelon
May 3rd, 2010, 09:41 AM
I hate hate hate my layers. Mostly because my hair is still fairly short and my layers are at that length where they flip out. I detest the flip.

I've also found that my layers get more damaged then the rest of my hair, especially the shortest layers in the back. Perhaps this is because they are less coated in conditioner.

sibiryachka
May 3rd, 2010, 10:02 AM
Oh, if only *intentional* layers were all I had to grow out! Those, at least, I've kept no shorter than APL the last several years, so they're not the big problem. It's the broken, already-damaged hairs that start about earlobe level and occur through the whole rest of my length. I know I shouldn't complain about the fact that those are all slowly getting longer... But Oh. My. God. They slide out of *everything* - bun, braid, doesn't matter.
Thankfully, I don't mind wearing a scarf a lot of the time, because I swear I end up resorting to it at least every other day. It's a plain necessity if I'm doing any kind of task, if not for cleanliness' sake then just so I won't have to sweep or blow it out of my face every two minutes.
It's a good thing there isn't a magic speed-growth pill, because if there were it would probably be exorbitantly expensive... and mild-mannered, otherwise law-abiding longhairs might be tempted into a life of crime to get their hands on it :p

BattahZ
May 3rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
For what it's worth re: canopy damage, my canopy is usually a mess, esp in the morning - no matter what I do with my hair, braids and whatnot, the top part always pulls out while I'm sleeping and turns into a fuzzy mess. Last night I did two braids and slept on my new satin pillowcase - this morning, it was still mostly in the braids and they hadn't fallen apart like they usually do. It seems to me that maybe a gentler pillowcase, or even a sleep cap, might be a must for those of us trying to grow out some short layers. I think they would help keep those layers in better shape so they don't need trims as often.

LaurelSpring
May 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
I have been growing out layers forever. I use to keep layers in my hair when it was just below shoulder length. It was the only way I knew how to deal with having the illusion of semi long hair and not go crazy. The only way it looked good was if I washed, blow dried and curled every day!!

Once I found LHC and learned how to take care of my hair and let it grow, layers just got in the way. If you dont do something with them or have the curl to support them they just make your hair (my hair anyway) look like a scraggly mess and screw up updos.

I cut off my scraggly rat tail layer bottom in august and I still have several inches of thin ends to go. It is thicker now but with layers it seems like as soon as you cut one thin bottom chunk off there is another thin bottom chunk just above that. So I am patiently dusting every three months. No more big cuts for me. Its too upsetting. No more layers. Just a little fringe.

sibiryachka
May 3rd, 2010, 10:45 AM
For what it's worth re: canopy damage, my canopy is usually a mess, esp in the morning - no matter what I do with my hair, braids and whatnot, the top part always pulls out while I'm sleeping and turns into a fuzzy mess. Last night I did two braids and slept on my new satin pillowcase - this morning, it was still mostly in the braids and they hadn't fallen apart like they usually do. It seems to me that maybe a gentler pillowcase, or even a sleep cap, might be a must for those of us trying to grow out some short layers. I think they would help keep those layers in better shape so they don't need trims as often.

*sigh* I've been really resistant to this idea; it feels sort of embarrassingly precious to me. Like all the other stuff I do is just common-sense practicality, but special pillowcases are the beginning of that slippery slope into "crazy hair lady" territory...? :shrug: See, this is really helpful! You make a very convincing case - and by really thinking it through, I can see that I've been all wrong about the pillowcases: I started drifting into "crazy hair lady" land when I took the henna plunge! ;) And I'm in excellent company, so... *rummages through fabric box for satin - I know there's some in here!*

Hana
May 3rd, 2010, 01:21 PM
and me! my canopy nearly always is grouchy about something. grr.

also, im trying to teach myself how to do a sock bun but the layers just keep flicking out and making it harder! nooooooooo.

I am sometimes tempted to just go the whole hog and cut them all off. but then i'd be back to shoulder length. and my hair would triangulate, if you know what i mean. plus, my hair grows SO. Slowly. hmmm.

fashionaddict
May 3rd, 2010, 02:15 PM
Oh layers! I've had them for such a long time I can hardly remember a time I did not have them. I have wavy/curly-ish hair depending on the day and some of my shortest layers do fit into my ponytail, however they make my hair seem so thin. I should be celebrating because I think the worst is over. The worst in my opinion being when the layers did not fit into my ponytail but instead were just hanging around my face like a really thick type of fringe with the ends in terrible shape. Ok, no more bad mental images :)

mintyhot
May 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
I hate, hate, hate my layers i want them to bur in hell. they make my 1a/b hair 1b and it i can't do anything with my hair because the shortest layer is chin length! I want my hair to be blunt again, it was so pretty! Now it's destroyed! I was thinking of cutting it to be the same length but it would be ugly and counterproductive. Now, my layers are in their awkward stage it's miserable :(

BattahZ
May 3rd, 2010, 02:43 PM
*sigh* I've been really resistant to this idea; it feels sort of embarrassingly precious to me. Like all the other stuff I do is just common-sense practicality, but special pillowcases are the beginning of that slippery slope into "crazy hair lady" territory...? :shrug: See, this is really helpful! You make a very convincing case - and by really thinking it through, I can see that I've been all wrong about the pillowcases: I started drifting into "crazy hair lady" land when I took the henna plunge! ;) And I'm in excellent company, so... *rummages through fabric box for satin - I know there's some in here!*

Haha I don't think satin pillowcases are too bad! My husband usually teases me if I do a hair thing that's a little nutty (ahh, satin sleep caps...), and he didn't bat an eye at my satin pillowcase. I got one at Sally's an they have a couple of different colors, so it wasn't that glaring against our regular sheets (they come in white, cream, etc). I've also read a few different places that they're good if you sleep on your face - same as with hair, they minimize tugging/wrinkles. So for what that's worth, they sound good all around!

Arctic
May 4th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I have been thinking this for a looong time and finally decided: I'm going to cut myself bangs today! This will "get rid of" much of my broken canopy layer, so it will transform from fuzzy and meh to neat and my hair as a whole will look more put together this way. I am so relieved to finally make this decision!

Gwendolene
May 4th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I just got mine trimmed, oh, a couple weeks ago and had the hairdresser put layers in at my cheekbones. Bad move, no matter how I try to style my hair it just looks weird. I have decided to make my new goal tailbone blunt, instead of U shaped.

I wonder how much time, I've set myself back??

Blueneko
May 4th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I am growing out pregnancy shed layers, which are more like wild baby hairs sprouting where ever they please. If I wear a ponytail I have wings at my temples and a hair halo of about 3 inches at my hairline.

ARGH!

marikamt
May 4th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I absolutely HATE that my layers make my almost waist length hair look shorter than it really is......
:(

Juliannaissance
May 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I'm trying to grow out my layers as well. Also I cut my own hair and one day I totally slipped and there is only one chunk of hair that is shoulder length on the right side, it looks so stupid like if I cut up my hair the wrong way..which I did do...hahaha. Also, I no longer want layers because it's way easier to do hairstyles and braids without having hairs sticking out all over the place.

Snowcold
May 5th, 2010, 02:55 PM
My layers are taking centuries to grow out and I don't like them! But they look a lot longer compared to last year, when they were all spiky!

laurathexplora
May 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Layers are the bane of my existence.

vintersaga
May 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Hi everybody :)

It's almost been a month since I buzzed my hair and I've joined the non-trimming club and am not gonna trim for two years. But I've been thinking a lot what to do when I reach my goal of non trimming for two years. My first thought was to trim to get rid with my natural layers that will come, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll keep those layers and try to grow them out instead... 'cause if I cut to one lenght, I will probably loose some length. :(

So maybe I'll join in this club later when my hair gets a little bit longer... I'm trying to keep it up. :pegasus: :)

loralie
May 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't totally hate my layers?!?

Granted, I'd like to grow out the short ones so I only have a few long layers left but I honestly don't mind them. I've never been one for blunt hair, nor for sleek and polished updos... I just don't think it suits me or is me.

I don't mind blunt cuts and no layers but personally, I love mine, and with time I think they'll be beautiful.

The only gripe I have is that they're harder to keep healthy than the rest of my length. But no.... no one length hair for me.

I'm sorry you guys are having trouble with yours but happy growing! <3

senorasunny
May 7th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I got layers for the first time about 10 years ago, and have continued to get them cut into my hair. I think I always assumed that layers would make my hair seem thicker/fuller, but now I realize that's not exactly true, since my ponytail is much thinner than it would be if my hair was all one length. I've found that even if I ask my stylist for "long layers that blend and are not too choppy," I always have more different lengths than I want.

My shortest layer is about shoulder length and my longest is nearing BSL. Some days I'm tempted to cut all my hair to the shortest layer so that it's all one length, but I don't want to lose those few inches on the rest of my hair :(

It's definitely annoying when I try to do braids and buns, though. I sometimes oil the ends -- if I did this more frequently would it help to tame some of those hairs that stick out?

Henrietta
May 19th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't totally hate my layers?!?

Granted, I'd like to grow out the short ones so I only have a few long layers left but I honestly don't mind them. I've never been one for blunt hair, nor for sleek and polished updos... I just don't think it suits me or is me.

I don't mind blunt cuts and no layers but personally, I love mine, and with time I think they'll be beautiful.

The only gripe I have is that they're harder to keep healthy than the rest of my length. But no.... no one length hair for me.

I'm sorry you guys are having trouble with yours but happy growing! <3

You are not the only one:) I like my layers too. They are long, not too far from my longest ends and I will keep them. My hair just looks and lays better with layers, though my ends look thin, but I can stand it. And also I have layers around my face, I want them to stay as they are too because without them I will look like I was bold.

But anyway, happy and FAST growing, people! You will grow out your layers faster than you think! :*

hanne jensen
May 19th, 2010, 06:24 AM
shudder::steam:justy::justy::poop::blueeek::brickw all:boohoo::nono::crazyq:

Just about sums up how I feel about my layers!

UltraBella
May 19th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I love love love my layers. My hair would be much too heavy without them and I would have to keep it much shorter. That being said, I have had horrible layers in the past that I despised. Layers have to blend and some stylists seem to be really lacking in the ability to cut beautiful, blended layers. A few years ago I chopped my waist length hair to chin length because of a disastrous layering. It was so awful.
I would post a pic below of my soft layers, but I have no idea how !!

curlylocks85
May 19th, 2010, 07:25 AM
When my layers were high up on my length, I found them to be annoying. However, now they are about an inch or so from the bottom of my ends and they are not a bother. I think that when layers are longer they can work better to your advantage rather than short ear length ones. For me, it is all about the journey so I try to find ways to compromise and be happy rather than complain.

kristymarie87
May 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM
My shorters layers are just above my ears.....they are such a pain!

I used to love them, but they damage so easily and never sit flat because of it. They stick out all over the place!

My hair is only SL. I'm trying to grow out the layers but they need a trim to fix the damage....stuck in a rut!!

Still, when they do grow, i will keep some long layers.

TrudieCat
May 19th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I have had layers in the past that I've liked but right now mine are WAY. TOO. SHORT. My wavy hair just turns into a crazy flippy mess at the shorter lengths. I have a couple of these shorty layers around my face and along the back of my head that stick straight out at 90% angles sometimes. Actually, the shape of those layers looks sort of like a ski jump. Not quite the piecy, beachy waves look that I was going for.... :)

I do agree that lots of stylists seem to go with layers on the thicker, wavier/curlier hair just because that's what they think they are supposed to do. It can look cute if the layers are cut to work with the hair, but I think the problem is they just cut the same standard layered cut instead of thinking about the individual textures of the hair they are working with. With big loopy waves like mine, the layers have to be longer or the waves get cut off halfway and end up sticking straight out.

When my layers get longer and turn back into waves, I think I will like them.

Brenda714
May 20th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Gosh girl, I can so relate, I've got the same problem. A few months ago it looked like a mullet, I too have sought advice on the boards and have been comforted by other longhairs by their encouragement, especially those growing out from a pixie; You hang in there, I know what it's like, my shortest layer starts at the top of my ear and I have stupid bangs. It will take us awhile to grow out, but a few months can make a difference. Remember all the hairs grow on our head and two months growth even does make a difference. Blessings!

Miss Misha
May 20th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Ahhh, a place to vent. About once a year (before I found LHC) I get the itch to "do something different" but "keep the length". BEEEEEEG mistake. Every.single.time. Last layer disaster was in January. Long layers + bang trim.

I haven't cut since then, and the longest layer is now at BSL. The rest are all over the place resulting in braids that fray, pieces of hair left behind when bunning or other hair tying, and *annoying* flippy bangs that don't quite reach my ears. On my worst days, I want to just shave it the heck off and start again.:rant:

frizzalot
May 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM
My longest layer is just above waist and shortest at apl, Im growing out layers that were cut from chin to apl, on just about waist length hair that I did not want to lose(stupid hairdresser)- and I hate hate hate the taper. Sometimes I feel like cutting off to apl just to get rid of it!!! :meditate: My plan is 2inches off every four months.

My layers only looked half decent for about 4weeks...

emmabovary
May 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I need this thread!! :)

At least I've only got one layer, at about shoulder length. But it's still really annoying, the way braids and buns get bits sticking out everywhere. And the taper... Never ever am I letting a stylist talk me into layers again! They say it's nice in curly hair, but my curls look a lot better when they're longer.

jane53
May 20th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Oh did I need this thread!

I've been thinking about getting 5 or 6 inches cut off my hair (it's past waist length) and getting face-framing layers in front.

I so will not do it now, after reading all this.

I do have bangs. I'm 56 and have a high forehead and cut bangs about 15 years ago to keep from looking so severe when my hair's up. And I learned then that bangs require styling no matter what you do with the rest of your hair. My hair is straight, but my bangs don't fall charmingly on my forehead without work!

I'll keep the bangs, but I'll leave the rest of my hair one long length.

Time heals all layers, I hope!

BattahZ
May 20th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I have an update on my mullet pain! I got a haircut on Saturday and my stylist blended my layers together. I lost a bit of length (maybe 1.5 inches?), but now it's all blended nicely and I can tell it'll grow out well. I won't need a cut for a LONG time.

And oddly, though it's shorter, it stays up in buns better now. I can get a lazy wrap to stay much better than I could before. Maybe it just needed to be blended.

jane53
May 20th, 2010, 12:33 PM
A happy update!

What's a lazy wrap? (newbie here)

JenniferNoel
May 20th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Here you go, jane53: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72

Lazy wrap bun! :)

jane53
May 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks, JenniferNoel. Maybe I can teach my clumsy self to do that!

pineconejg
May 20th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I hate the fuzzy buns and foofy braids I get with my layers. Perhaps if my hair were all longer, it wouldn't be sooo bad, but yuk! I hate my layers too.

JG

MissCoco
May 20th, 2010, 05:53 PM

x0h_bother
May 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Bottom layer not growing but hemline getting thicker? Could it be my layers are growing faster than my bottom layer catching up to it causing a more blunt hemline?? I'm grateful for the thickness though i will say..I just feel like the bottom layer has stalled. Any ideas?

MissCoco
May 21st, 2010, 12:46 PM

curlylocks85
May 21st, 2010, 12:55 PM
Maybe the hairs are at a different phase in their cycle? If I remember correctly, there's the growing phase, the slowing down phase and then the resting phase... maybe the bottom layer is resting while the other layers are still growing?

I agree. Not all the hairs grow at the same rate. If they all did then when we shed all the hairs would fall out at the same time. It is just a resting phase. If you are one who wants all one length hair this is a good thing, your layers can do some catching up.

Iron0Maiden
May 21st, 2010, 02:18 PM
I was a victum to fashion... about August, not last one but the one before, I cut layers cut into my hair... I wanted the 'choppy' look. Eww. Well, anyway... the shortest one was seriously an inch past my head and the longest was to the bottom of my earlobe. I was horrible to it. I would straighten it everyday tease it. Well, I stopped that. My shortest layer is just past my sholder, and my longest is between APL and BSL. The rest of it is BSL. ughhh. NEVER get a hair cut for a faze you go through!!

x0h_bother
May 21st, 2010, 06:48 PM
I agree. Not all the hairs grow at the same rate. If they all did then when we shed all the hairs would fall out at the same time. It is just a resting phase. If you are one who wants all one length hair this is a good thing, your layers can do some catching up.

Thanks!! This gives me a lot of hope. Although not a lot of length in general. :)

dreamsofthewind
May 21st, 2010, 07:02 PM
Raaawr, layers! I used to be into the whole scenie-weenie thing when I was younger, (ehh, I know.) so I got those fiddly little short layers that are about 3 inches long! and I kept getting them cut! now they are over 20 inches long, but they still have almost 6 inches to go before they blend with the rest of my hair. And last summer I got Bettie bangs, which were super short, but I loved them. And I kept recutting those too, and now I'm growing them out so I can just have rolled bangs, but it's a total pain dealing with them while they are growing out. They don't blend at all when I try to put all of my hair up. :( Oh well, I deserve it for cutting them in the first place, and they will eventually grow out.

McFearless
May 21st, 2010, 07:10 PM
I'm currently growing out a mullet. 3 inches of hair(top layer) and APL length on the bottom. I didn't even ask for that cut! Thats what frustrates me the most...not to mention the fact that she used the most blunt sissors that felt like a knife.

I think it'll be at least 5 years before my hair recovers:(

Do you all feel better now? haha

Ansaphone
June 8th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I hope my layers will grow out fast even though I straighten it, as I take good care of it. But mreh. Are many of you jsut growing out layers that look normal or do some of you find they look horrible? I hate mine, never wanted them.

x0h_bother
June 8th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'm currently growing out a mullet. 3 inches of hair(top layer) and APL length on the bottom. I didn't even ask for that cut! Thats what frustrates me the most...not to mention the fact that she used the most blunt sissors that felt like a knife.

I think it'll be at least 5 years before my hair recovers:(

Do you all feel better now? haha

I hope my layers will grow out fast even though I straighten it, as I take good care of it. But mreh. Are many of you jsut growing out layers that look normal or do some of you find they look horrible? I hate mine, never wanted them.
Ouch! That's painful to have layers you never wanted in the first place! I'd be feeling pretty mad if I was in your position.

Still, it is frustrating to have layers even if you wanted them.
An update on my major shed and stall- the layers have been growing out, thus creating a fuller look :cheer: yipee. Bangs and top layer are still stalled, but it's expected I think- they had some good growth for a while.

cybernetica
June 9th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I am still trying to recover from my last "trim" where the stylist insisted on thinning my hair out to make it more "manageable" YA RIGHT!! So now I have random chunks of shorter hair throughout my head. This frustrates me so much when I went in I had lovely braid waves on nice full hair now I have braids that look like they have gone wild :( I will safely state that I will never get a "trim" again!

Ansaphone
June 9th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I have set my goal to grow 8 cms... then I will look if I cut it one length at that point or if I will wait some 5-8 cms extra

MandaMom2Three
June 9th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I've had layers cut into my hair several times and HATED them every time (why I kept trying I'll never know :rolleyes: ) When I cut back to just above shoulder length, I almost did it again!!!!!!! But I just reminded myself how stupid I look in layers and the urge passed :p

jivete
June 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I think layers look great on thicker hair, but they make my thinnish hair too thin. It's taking forever to grow them out with minor trims. They do get damaged more easily than the length, which is really annoying. I go back and forth between chopping into the shortest layer to maintaining to let them catch up to saying forget it and waiting until waist to maintain.

Ansaphone
June 9th, 2010, 08:35 AM
yep my hair looks too thin now as well. I'm still annoyed because even these 8 cms will at least take between 5-6 months :(. But I don't mind it to be short by then, as long as it is one length again/

rachelily
June 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I have a dilemma, too - I love my layers for what they do to my curls (bouncier, lightens up top layer) but they thin out my hemline so much! There is no happy medium :(

BTW, I love your avatar. That picture is on my desktop and it's seriously the cutest bunny in the world. I love dwarf hotots!

Chamomile betty
June 9th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I just wanted to offer some support. I've been there and you all can do it! Updos, pins, and clips can be your friends.

rachelily
June 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I just wanted to offer some support. I've been there and you all can do it! Updos, pins, and clips can be your friends.

I'm slowly getting into these hair accessories, I think I'm gonna get some and play with them this week, so excited! :)

hemolymph
June 9th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Argh!! I hate layers!! Honestly they can be absolutely stunning, expecially when people curl their hair or flip it. But I have had layers cut in my hair since I was in elementary school to present. I actually got rid of my layers back in January, and then I asked for a bob cut, and they ADDED layers back in with out me even asking them to!

Thankfully it's not as bad as when it was long.. but.. I feel your pain. I can't wait to have my hair all one length, all natural color, for once in my life!

Lunami
June 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I had my hair "cut" (chopped) yesterday. I want layers, but... the hair dresser cut them double as short as we both agreed on. So i'll be joining here now! It looks horrible and not at all what i asked for. It's all completely wrong and i'm just happy that the lenght of my hair isn't much shorter. She did use a thinning scissor as well... My hair is a little thich to look well without layers, and maybe without thinning too but she did overdo it and it's not even anywhere. If i had gone back i'm sure they'd want to even it out but i can't stand to cut any shorter.

HintOfMint
June 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Decided to get layers on a whim back in December. I remember sitting in the chair and saying, "actually, why don't we go with some more pronounced layers?":rolleyes:

I remember how layers really made my hair look great when I was APL but had grown it out from a bob and was one length and shapeless. So I thought, why not at BSL? Yeah, not such a great idea. Now my longest layer is waist, but the shortest is APL. Now I feel like the waist length layer is a bit thin and I'm tempted to lop off that little tassel.

Islandgrrl
June 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I am not a fan of my layers, but I'll be stuck with them for a good long while. My shortest layers (used to be my bangs) are hanging out around APL right now, and the longest part of my hair is just sneaking up on tailbone. I have layers basically from my waist down. It's just a natural consequence of growing out from a pixie with not too many haircuts in between (other than what was necessary to avoid the Mullet of Doom).

Coincidentally, all the damage I have from trying oh-so-hard to not have red hair is in the layers. So they're getting snipped off little by little - tiny trims once a month. At this rate, I think I'll have all the damage and layers gone in about 4 years and I should be maintaining solidly at knee length by then.

Sigh, it's such a process.

Alaia
June 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Yes layers are certainly annoying. Mine are at about BSL right now (the rest of my hair is almost TB). I'm a perfectionist so it annoys me that I can't do a braid or most updos without spikey bits of hair sticking out.

Before I cut my hair last year I had a blunt hemline, so that just makes it worse... I remember what it was like not to have sticky-out layers :lol:

gypsychild
June 9th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Sorry about the layers mix-up. I was growing out mine but it drove me so crazy that I cut down to my shortest layer (about chin-length) to just start from there. It looked really weird for a few days, but so worth it!

Ansaphone
June 13th, 2010, 03:37 AM
I am tempted to do the same but I know I will hate having short hair. Right now I'm wearing it in a middeldivision and it looks a lot better than last month.. still, the layers ruin it for me and I wish they would grow out. I feel like a freak sometimes cos i think my hair looks so strange. Luckily everybody says it looks okay and theres nothing to worry about...

julliams
June 13th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I was watching "Ella Enchanted" this evening with my kids. Anne Hathaway's hair is almost waist length in this movie but she has shorter layers around BSL and some even at APL at the front. All I kept thinking was how much nicer her hair would look without the layers. Actually in this picture her layers look quite nice, but in the movie I was thinking I'd like it all to be one length.

http://content9.flixster.com/photo/98/56/08/9856083_gal.jpg

Qadupae
June 13th, 2010, 05:23 AM
*raises hand* Growing out layers from cutting my own hair from over 5 years >< Needless to say, layers are everywhere and not at all uniform. I am still debating going to a stylist just to have them even out the layers a little so my wedding pics don't look quite so horrific, but I'm so afraid of them adding in more layers than I already have :( I think I will just have to bite the bullet for now since I also want them to put in highlights that match my roots to grow out my natural color.

emma907
June 13th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I have always liked layers - well the way they look on other people- I always hoped that mine would looks as good, instead I got the two triangle type look, I’m guessing it’s because of my thick hair, so I have begun the arduous task of growing them out. It seems to take forever!

Sammich
June 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Okay, I'm reposting this the THIRD TIME! GAHH !!!! (Kept crashing.)
I cut into a neo mullet basically back in June 09...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5455&pictureid=71335
The cut was so fun for about 3 months, and I wanted to maintain it and thought "Oh hey, I'm never gonna get another boring long haired cut again! I love how unique this cut is."
It was fun, but hey, when I played with my hair, when it grew longer, it did not feel very long because of how thin it was/is.
I feel so icky next to you LHCers with such full beautiful ends! :p Lol!
The shortest layers were about 1 inch around my head... So I had a major pixie basically.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5455&pictureid=71340
I did like how it looked on me, but now I'm getting sick of the cut and regret it. :p

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4527&pictureid=59602

It took to January to actually getting it to look like a normal head of almost not too thinned out hair! lol!

I used to always get sick of my thick hair, and always wanted it thinned out.
Sad thing was, my hair was almost at it's thickest a month or so before I had the notorious fashionable cut!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5453&pictureid=74368
May 09. :p

Here's my hair currently, slowly growing along... :p I'll never have a super thinned out cut again! It's sure a pain to grow out so many layers. I've been really tempted to just cut up to a little above BSL, where almost all of my thickness is... and it isn't TOO short.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4527&pictureid=74073
Hurry up layers!

x0h_bother
June 13th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Okay, I'm reposting this the THIRD TIME! GAHH !!!! (Kept crashing.)
I cut into a neo mullet basically back in June 09...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5455&pictureid=71335
The cut was so fun for about 3 months, and I wanted to maintain it and thought "Oh hey, I'm never gonna get another boring long haired cut again! I love how unique this cut is."
It was fun, but hey, when I played with my hair, when it grew longer, it did not feel very long because of how thin it was/is.
I feel so icky next to you LHCers with such full beautiful ends! :p Lol!
The shortest layers were about 1 inch around my head... So I had a major pixie basically.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5455&pictureid=71340
I did like how it looked on me, but now I'm getting sick of the cut and regret it. :p

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4527&pictureid=59602

It took to January to actually getting it to look like a normal head of almost not too thinned out hair! lol!

I used to always get sick of my thick hair, and always wanted it thinned out.
Sad thing was, my hair was almost at it's thickest a month or so before I had the notorious fashionable cut!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5453&pictureid=74368
May 09. :p

Here's my hair currently, slowly growing along... :p I'll never have a super thinned out cut again! It's sure a pain to grow out so many layers. I've been really tempted to just cut up to a little above BSL, where almost all of my thickness is... and it isn't TOO short.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4527&pictureid=74073
Hurry up layers!
You're almost back to where you were last year. You're past that awkward stage. Great growth!

HintOfMint
June 14th, 2010, 01:35 AM
How are y'all trimming as the layers grow? Are you just trimming the longest layer as the shorter ones catch up, or do you still dust the shorter layers to make sure they don't grow out damaged? The next time I hit the salon I want to have the shorter layers trimmed just a tiny bit, but at the same time I don't want the hairdresser to get carried away and make the layers too much shorter. :confused:

TXbarbie
June 14th, 2010, 03:44 AM
How are y'all trimming as the layers grow? Are you just trimming the longest layer as the shorter ones catch up, or do you still dust the shorter layers to make sure they don't grow out damaged? The next time I hit the salon I want to have the shorter layers trimmed just a tiny bit, but at the same time I don't want the hairdresser to get carried away and make the layers too much shorter. :confused:

I have a haircut scheduled tomorrow and I'm almost tempted to maintain the longest layer (1in from waist) and let the other layers grow out. But since I highlight and occasionally straighten my hair, I don't want my shorter layers to look fried and awful while they're catching up to the trimmed longer layer, if that makes sense.

ugh, what a dilemma. But I know that I definitely wouldn't be able to cut all of my hair to a blunt hemline. My shortest layer isn't even APL it's around my collarbone!

x0h_bother
June 14th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I'm just microtrimming at the moment and I am snipping all the layers (at least all the ones I can find.) I figure if it's uneven, it's not that much taken off so it will still blend. But when my hair grows more, I will go to the hairdresser for 1/4 in off the layers and 1/2 in off the longest layer.

Aurantia
June 16th, 2010, 07:07 PM

HintOfMint, I came here to ask just this question. I made an appointment on Tuesday with a stylist that has a rock star reputation. But when I told him that I was growing out to classic length he had no idea what I was talking about. *gulp*

My layers are BSL, APL and some left over bangs that usually just get forgotten. I have no idea if I want my stylist to trim up the damage or just make the whole mess even at APL.

Most of all I want my hair to be healthy -- I yearn for blunt cut BSL but I'm willing to restart at APL to get rid of all the dryness.

Suggestions?

HintOfMint
June 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Aurantia, it is quite a predicament, I feel you. If it makes you feel any better, I had no idea what "classic length" was before this site. I have a google search to prove it too. As long as he takes directions well, gives a good cut and is respectful, it doesn't matter if he is familiar with longhair lexicon.

My recommendation: definitely get rid of any damage (notice, I said "damage" not "dryness." The latter may not be due to damage, so you may not have to cut off as much as you may think. You may just need to clarify and have a deep conditioning.) Also, in light of the previous recommendation, instead of evening it all up to APL unnecessarily, you could just ask for the layers to be more graduated. As in, you get the longest layer shortened, but the layers are refreshed to have a shorter distance between the layers. Besides, a well crafted blunt hemline is never really blunt in the truest sense of the word. There are small blended layers within the hemline that allow your hair to fall nicely and not like, "Oh I had a barber cut it all in a straight line as he held a ruler."

Have fun at your appointment! Tell us how it goes!

x0h_bother
June 17th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Most of all I want my hair to be healthy -- I yearn for blunt cut BSL but I'm willing to restart at APL to get rid of all the dryness.

Suggestions?
Since you want healthy hair and are willing to make the sacrifice for it, then I would suggest going for the APL cut. I also think that when you are paying someone to cut your hair, it is probably more cost effective to go to them when you want more cut off. Let us know what you decide! :)

x0h_bother
June 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Besides, a well crafted blunt hemline is never really blunt in the truest sense of the word. There are small blended layers within the hemline that allow your hair to fall nicely and not like, "Oh I had a barber cut it all in a straight line as he held a ruler."
HintOfMint can you direct me to another thread on this site or if not just empart your knowledge about what to tell your hairdresser to get this type of nice hemline? I'm wondering if it is named a certain style or technique (like 'graduating'), and does just any ole hairdresser know how to do it? This is my DREAM :)

Aurantia
June 17th, 2010, 03:14 PM
HintofMint, thanks for the great advice -- I think that's what I'm going to do. :)

x0h_bother, my hair is a hot mess lol ... I am really hoping that I won't have to start again at APL, just willing if damage is to that point. Because my hair has been in a such a weird state for the last year it's been hard to tell what is dead and salvageable, so I'm putting my hair into the hands of a professional. If I can get my layers to be a little less stark and rid of all the damage then I'm happy with that. After this I'll probably wait until everything grows out to waist length and then do a blunt mid back cut. Mmmmmm, blunt cut.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

x0h_bother
June 17th, 2010, 03:27 PM
AurantiaHonestly, I would go that route too of only taking off damage. I think we all hate to lose length. Just be careful the "professional" doesn't want to snip off more than you want in the name of 'fixing damage'!!! Been there, done that. :)

Canarygirl
June 17th, 2010, 03:32 PM
My next trim is on July 1st and instead of microtrimming all the ex-pixie layers, I am switching to .5" off the longest layer and dusting of all the shorter layers. I haven't even reached APL yet but my fine, wavy, zillion-layers hair is just too unruly. It looks like a mess most of the time.

I really should post an updated siggy pic one of these days...

Aurantia
June 17th, 2010, 03:40 PM
AurantiaHonestly, I would go that route too of only taking off damage. I think we all hate to lose length. Just be careful the "professional" doesn't want to snip off more than you want in the name of 'fixing damage'!!! Been there, done that. :)

Ugh. Me too! This particular stylist has rave reviews and an impressive portfolio... even so, I called the shop the other day and drilled him for a good 15 minutes on what I was looking for (a stylist to be with me during the entire growing process), what 'classic length' meant and the importance of finding someone with experience in catering to a "long hair".

He's probably already dreading the session. :scared:

Hopefully, once I'm in the chair I can win him over despite my crazy phone call. I respect everyone I encounter as a fellow human being, but I'm also very upfront about what I want and expect! lol

HintOfMint
June 17th, 2010, 04:02 PM
To xOh_Bother: I just have a few lucky experiences and observations. I should think that, once you explain it enough, a skilled hairdresser should know what you're talking about.

About ten years ago, I cut my hair to about collarbone level. I remember asking for a blunt cut, and my hairdresser replied that there are going to be small layers in the hemline to have a better finish. "To give my hair movement" in stylist speak. I cannot remember the exact structure of the layers (whether they were top to bottom or several mini tapers, I have no idea what she did), but if you looked closely, you could see that the finish wasn't like a flat paintbrush. That is my first example.

My second example is from an old cheerleading teammate who had long straight thick brown hair, and the ends always looked like she had a blowout, so I could see how the ends were cut. Basically there were long layers cut into it from top to bottom, but they were so graduated that when her hair was blown out, the ends of her hair formed a smooth curve. I don't know if she got a slight undercut to encourage the ends to curve under or if she was just very handy with a blowdryer. There is a brief thread on undercutting here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49290&highlight=undercut

My last example is from a year ago when I asked for very blended layers. The result was a cut that appeared blunt but still brought out the waves and curl that my hair would occasionally get and still look styled. It was a "soft" blunt hemline.

I guess the key phrases to mention are, blended layers, long layers, graduated layers, blunt cut but with movement... etc. Take the time to explain it all, even if you feel a bit silly going into such detail. You can even describe my old teammates hair, so they can really get an idea for the finish you want, that soft curve.

Good luck!

And Aurantia, you are very welcome. Again, good luck!

haharobots
June 17th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Blah! So... I totally forgot I even HAD layers cut into my hair.

I only noticed because I've been trying to wear my shoulder-length hair up more with my hair forks. Sometimes I just can't get them to stay secure... Then I realized that a lot of the hair on the back of my head is only down to about my earlobe. Boo hoo hoo. :boohoo: I feel so depressed now, since it will probably take like a year for them to get to shoulder-length. *grumble* And then my SLH will be to APL, which I've just now decided is my goal.

I am also waiting for some fringe to grow out too, but only long enough to tuck. I normally wear it down except when I'm exercising.

Pandora.
June 20th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Arghhhhh, I don't like my layers right now. I used to love them though. :/

The thickness of my hair would be dramatically different if these layers just GREW already! :p

WildRedRose
June 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM
I feel your pain...i have been trying to grow out my layers for what seems like forever...it's been years. But the stylists will always"trim" the layers and it brings me back to square one.

That is why I joined TLHC to get all one length healthy hair. I stopped the blonde highlightes and then lowlites to conteract all the highlightes 1.5 years ago and with my trims every 4 months--all of the damage is gone! Now it's time to grow, grow, grow. No more trims! The layers will never grow if they get trimmed. And my hemline is looks fine

x0h_bother
June 24th, 2010, 08:38 AM
To xOh_Bother: I just have a few lucky experiences and observations. I should think that, once you explain it enough, a skilled hairdresser should know what you're talking about.

About ten years ago, I cut my hair to about collarbone level. I remember asking for a blunt cut, and my hairdresser replied that there are going to be small layers in the hemline to have a better finish. "To give my hair movement" in stylist speak. I cannot remember the exact structure of the layers (whether they were top to bottom or several mini tapers, I have no idea what she did), but if you looked closely, you could see that the finish wasn't like a flat paintbrush. That is my first example.

My second example is from an old cheerleading teammate who had long straight thick brown hair, and the ends always looked like she had a blowout, so I could see how the ends were cut. Basically there were long layers cut into it from top to bottom, but they were so graduated that when her hair was blown out, the ends of her hair formed a smooth curve. I don't know if she got a slight undercut to encourage the ends to curve under or if she was just very handy with a blowdryer. There is a brief thread on undercutting here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49290&highlight=undercut

My last example is from a year ago when I asked for very blended layers. The result was a cut that appeared blunt but still brought out the waves and curl that my hair would occasionally get and still look styled. It was a "soft" blunt hemline.

I guess the key phrases to mention are, blended layers, long layers, graduated layers, blunt cut but with movement... etc. Take the time to explain it all, even if you feel a bit silly going into such detail. You can even describe my old teammates hair, so they can really get an idea for the finish you want, that soft curve.

Good luck!
Thanks HintofMint! I am a far ways from making the big hemline chop, but when I do I will remember what you have said! I particularly found undercutting interesting :) Thanks!

kristymarie87
June 24th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I remember when i LOVED my layers, i would have to get them cut in every 4 weeks because they grew out so fast! But no i hate them and do want some longer ones but they dont seem to grow!!

Its typical!

Mexibeach
June 24th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Ack, I hate my layers too - it's not bad enough growing out the length, then you have all these layers to deal with. Sigh!

Stormphoenix
June 24th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Ack, I hate my layers too - it's not bad enough growing out the length, then you have all these layers to deal with. Sigh!

Mexibeach, I feel your pain. I am in the same boat. I am desperately wishing and hoping my layers will grow our super fast.

I haven't been to a hairstylist in about 16 months now b/c the last one put these stupid freakin layers in it. It really mad me mad; I felt like I was violated. Aaugh! Ugh. Oh, well. At least it will grow out.

My fear now is I may have some split ends on the shorter layers that I can not see. :confused: Is it okay to go so long without a trim?

Ansaphone
June 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I've been to the hairdresser yesterday and she cut 3 cms off.. she said it had grown that much in 5-6 weeks! I'm happy with that growingrate but right now I HATE my hair as it is too short for me and the layers are still there. Luckily my bangs have fixed a lot of the problem, but still. I can look at myself again in a few weeks. :(

HintOfMint
June 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM
My fear now is I may have some split ends on the shorter layers that I can not see. :confused: Is it okay to go so long without a trim?

It depends on where you get the most damage in general. I RARELY get splits in my canopy, and that was the case even when I brushed with a plastic brush and blowdried every day. However, my routine is pretty protective and I still get some damage in my underlayer. That hair is just finer and more prone to tangle. If that is the case with you, then you can go for a while without trims and just take care of the longest layer. If you get splits all over, then maybe just go for dustings (if you have a hairdresser you trust enough)

whoanellie
June 25th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I just wanted to post because I'm cranky about my layers. I've been growing my hair from about chin length since last spring. I didn't really notice having a lot of layers in the cut I got at the time except for the sides of my face, which were definitely shorter.

Now, the shortest front layers are just reaching shoulder length, which is a good few inches shorter than my longest bottom layer. And then I have kind of a medium layer that's about an inch or so shorter than my longest layer. So my hemline just looks ridiculous, all over the place. I've been trying all afternoon to take a nice photo to re-do my avatar now that my hair is about an inch longer, and it just looks like craaaaap. I wouldn't care so much about the layers except it's at an annoying length where it can't all fall behind my shoulders and look nice. Grr. :P

whoanellie
June 25th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Oh crud, I just went and looked more carefully in a mirror, no wonder why I think my hemline looks crappy. That middle layer in the back is almost 3" shorter than my longest layer, not 1"...

proo
June 25th, 2010, 06:10 PM
try gently pulling all your hair at the scalp, handful by handful
it's said to help growth
and it feels gooood

SapphiraSilver
June 26th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I always cut layers into my hair myself because my hair is so thin and flat that layers created a little bit of volume. I decided that I no longer want layers, but then almost 2 months ago I went and got my hair bleached, which damaged it so much that it started breaking off, especially at the front, so now along with a few layers at the back, I have more layers at the front resulting from a chemical hair cut and I hate it! Short bangs which are thin and damaged and feel like cotton, and all different lengths. I am so glad I found this thread, gives me a chance to whine about the frustration of growing it all out, and trying to deal with the awkward stage of length that its in. Trying to grow it all natural now, no more dying with harsh chemicals. But its not even shoulder length at the back get, and shorter then chin length at the front.

I can't wait for all the short bits to grow out into at least chin length again and eventually long. In the meantime trying to come up with a way to wear these short layers, and frizzy damaged, very thin bangs is awful. If anyone has any ideas, for styles, or some way to clip them, let me know, as it is a nightmare. Especially when its so thin, flat and damaged from bleach.

Nice to meet you all :)

x0h_bother
June 29th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I always cut layers into my hair myself because my hair is so thin and flat that layers created a little bit of volume. I decided that I no longer want layers, but then almost 2 months ago I went and got my hair bleached, which damaged it so much that it started breaking off, especially at the front, so now along with a few layers at the back, I have more layers at the front resulting from a chemical hair cut and I hate it! Short bangs which are thin and damaged and feel like cotton, and all different lengths. I am so glad I found this thread, gives me a chance to whine about the frustration of growing it all out, and trying to deal with the awkward stage of length that its in. Trying to grow it all natural now, no more dying with harsh chemicals. But its not even shoulder length at the back get, and shorter then chin length at the front.

I can't wait for all the short bits to grow out into at least chin length again and eventually long. In the meantime trying to come up with a way to wear these short layers, and frizzy damaged, very thin bangs is awful. If anyone has any ideas, for styles, or some way to clip them, let me know, as it is a nightmare. Especially when its so thin, flat and damaged from bleach.

Nice to meet you all :)
Hi SapphiraSilver,
I am also growing out some damage and bangs. My bangs are now past chin, so I want to encourage you that they get there! I actually think they grow faster than the rest of my hair, but that might just be because you can see them better. As for damage, I am hoping that over time as the layers grow out the damage does too, and that someday it can all be one length :pray: for now we watch and wait! :) welcome.

tinti
June 29th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I like my layers, but they're so SHORT! And then when my hair gets longer, what am I gonan do with it? Seems like I won't get a nice cut without taking off several inches :/

shwankie
June 29th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Well, my layers from the Really Bad Haircut (in which I didn't ask for or ever want layers, and instead got myriad, with the shortest being above my ears and the longest mid-back!) are finally all gone. Since I have very fine and fairly thin hair, layers just made it look super thin and really damaged (even though it wasn't).

So, the shortest layer was finally APL, and I got everything from my waist-length hair up cut to match it. It finally, finally looks healthy again! Now I have a beautiful, even hemline and can start my journey back to all-one-length waist again. It's a long road back to where I started before the Really Bad Haircut, but at least my hair looks and feel good again!

SapphiraSilver
June 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hi SapphiraSilver,
I am also growing out some damage and bangs. My bangs are now past chin, so I want to encourage you that they get there! I actually think they grow faster than the rest of my hair, but that might just be because you can see them better. As for damage, I am hoping that over time as the layers grow out the damage does too, and that someday it can all be one length :pray: for now we watch and wait! :) welcome.

Hello :)
Thanks so much for the encouragement and reply. It really is the bangs that are a problem, as they are the front, most visible. Great to hear they have reached chin length for you! When you think too much about it and check in the mirror all the time, it feels like it's taking forever, but i can't help checking every day lol! Watch and wait :) Take care.

SapphiraSilver
June 29th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I like my layers, but they're so SHORT! And then when my hair gets longer, what am I gonan do with it? Seems like I won't get a nice cut without taking off several inches :/

You could give them a little trim rather then a cut and then try some styles with them, maybe when they are long you can curl them a little, wave them into your hair to make it look more natural, or wear your hair up until the very shortest layer is long enough for you to cut some off. I'll have having the same problem as you when my short ones grow! good luck dear.

SapphiraSilver
June 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Well, my layers from the Really Bad Haircut (in which I didn't ask for or ever want layers, and instead got myriad, with the shortest being above my ears and the longest mid-back!) are finally all gone. Since I have very fine and fairly thin hair, layers just made it look super thin and really damaged (even though it wasn't).

So, the shortest layer was finally APL, and I got everything from my waist-length hair up cut to match it. It finally, finally looks healthy again! Now I have a beautiful, even hemline and can start my journey back to all-one-length waist again. It's a long road back to where I started before the Really Bad Haircut, but at least my hair looks and feel good again!

That's great!

xkmx
June 29th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I am growing my (now almost waist length) hair down to hip and then I'll start trimming the ends and bottom most layer to phase out the layers... But right now; no trimming + layers = my layers all growing at different speeds so I no longer have any nicely defined layers, ERGH. It looks like I have very wild hair, so now I'm just keeping it up in a bun to try to tame and hide it.

renia22
June 29th, 2010, 08:54 PM
A girl who I was unfamiliar with cut my hair in too many layers a couple of years ago and I did not appreaicate the 80s mullet look either (grrr)

SapphiraSilver
June 30th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I am growing my (now almost waist length) hair down to hip and then I'll start trimming the ends and bottom most layer to phase out the layers... But right now; no trimming + layers = my layers all growing at different speeds so I no longer have any nicely defined layers, ERGH. It looks like I have very wild hair, so now I'm just keeping it up in a bun to try to tame and hide it.

Looks pretty in your picture :)

xkmx
June 30th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Looks pretty in your picture :)

Aw thank you SapphiraSilver :D That made my day.

LaurelSpring
June 30th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I posted two months ago and Im still frustrated with the layers. It just seems like the "weight" of my hair always falls at bsl. I have been growing out the layers it seems like forever and microtrimming and the tail part seems to get thinner while the thick part just seems to stand still and hover at bsl. It must be some sort of optical illusion!

The other weird part is that is seems like no matter how much I would trim that there was always another layer making it look layered above what I trimmed. Its like some sort of weird twilight zone anomaly. :alien:

Dream0331
June 30th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I`ve had layers for YEARS and never wanted to grow them out...I think it was mostly due to the fact that my hair was shoulder length, dyed black/blue and I never put it in so moch as a half up. Now that I`m trying to reach BSL+ a bit, and get my virgin hair back...why not get rid of the layers too! They`re alway sticking up and out in braids and such, so it`s time to go!

Canarygirl
June 30th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Hi

I am getting my quarterly trim tomorrow and would like some advice. Hair is ~2" short of BSL in back, shorter in front, bangs are chin length, and layers are ragged looking (from the previous cutting method) and are ~3" shorter than the bottom.

My question is, should I ask the stylist to trim my hair dry or wet? Is there any advantage to trimming fine, wavy hair dry? I plan to have 1/2" cut off the longest layer and 1/4" off the shorter layers, plus no-trimming of bangs.

THanks for any insight...my hair doesn't grow very fast so I tend to get a little anxious at trim-time.

SapphiraSilver
June 30th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hi

I am getting my quarterly trim tomorrow and would like some advice. Hair is ~2" short of BSL in back, shorter in front, bangs are chin length, and layers are ragged looking (from the previous cutting method) and are ~3" shorter than the bottom.

My question is, should I ask the stylist to trim my hair dry or wet? Is there any advantage to trimming fine, wavy hair dry? I plan to have 1/2" cut off the longest layer and 1/4" off the shorter layers, plus no-trimming of bangs.

Thanks for any insight...my hair doesn't grow very fast so I tend to get a little anxious at trim-time.

If you mean trimming dry hair while its wavy, I wouldn't do it if it was me, it could become uneven and the layers could all have different lengths. If I want to trim my hair dry, I usually use a straightener to get it as straight as possible and then trim to make sure its even and not all different lengths. Then I can wet it again after that and style as I want.

It's up to you dear, just sharing what I do :)

Hotrox
July 1st, 2010, 02:12 AM
Damm it - Layers

I have collar bone length hair when stretched (mid neck curly) and my shortest layer is at the bottom of my ear.

When I tie my hair pack the top layer sticks our vertical from the pony and looks crazy :rolleyes:

I have always had layers but now I'm growing and also realised that I want a nice thick hem line, its going to take ages..... shrinkage and Layers

I guess when I get a trim I'll just ask for proportionally less to be cut off the layers so that then eventually catch up with the rest of my hair......

Years, I fear. YEARS

Barniie
July 1st, 2010, 02:25 AM
Why not ask for them to cut NONE off the layers? That sounds like a good idea to me!.

Damn layers..

Hotrox
July 1st, 2010, 02:28 AM
Why not ask for them to cut NONE off the layers? That sounds like a good idea to me!.

Damn layers..

Yes - a more sensible plan!!:p

Synthemesc
July 1st, 2010, 04:19 AM
My top layers are just above chin length, and I'm now nearing APL. Graaah.

Bller
July 1st, 2010, 04:43 AM
A place to vent! Woo!

Frustration...

...and a mullet.

Same situation as you are. Have just bellow chin hair in the front and sides, and almost BSL in the back, good for me though i can somehow tie the front back in a ponytail and dosn`t look that weird. And i was thinking of cutting the back layer to the overall length of the front layers, and hope they grow fast, the back layers are pretty damaged too, so it could be a good choice for me, but i just don`t have the heart to do it.

SapphiraSilver
July 1st, 2010, 06:13 AM
Damm it - Layers

I have collar bone length hair when stretched (mid neck curly) and my shortest layer is at the bottom of my ear.

When I tie my hair pack the top layer sticks our vertical from the pony and looks crazy :rolleyes:

I have always had layers but now I'm growing and also realised that I want a nice thick hem line, its going to take ages..... shrinkage and Layers

I guess when I get a trim I'll just ask for proportionally less to be cut off the layers so that then eventually catch up with the rest of my hair......

Years, I fear. YEARS

I feel your pain. I am trying to grow mine very long now, I am sick of the short, layered hair. Before I can start growing it long, I have to keep trimming off my severely damaged bleached bits until it's all natural, only then can I start growing it long and growing out these layers. Damn layers. Will take years and years *sigh* At least we all understand each others frustration.

templeofvenus
July 1st, 2010, 07:57 AM
I have just kept having mini trims blunt round the bottom keeping it in a bob to get the layers out, not too long to go and they will all be gone then I can grow it long.......hopefully, I don't think I will have layers again they are a pain to grow out and actually make my fine hair look thinner

SapphiraSilver
July 1st, 2010, 08:47 AM
The most annoying layers I have are at the front, I have 4 or 5 different length bangs. Above the eye brows (due to damage breakage), then, covering the eyes, then nose length, then mouth length, then chin. So heaps of layers at the front. Looks awful when I don't tie, and pin it all back. Then I have about 3 layers at the back, the shortest about top of ear length, then bottom of ear, then the rest of the hair which only barely covers my neck. I would so love to just have it all one length, especially at the front. It all sticks out awkwardly. It will take years.

proo
July 1st, 2010, 05:17 PM
the reverse twist saved my life, got me through

x0h_bother
July 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM
Damm it - Layers

Years, I fear. YEARS
I actually did this last year and it worked for growing out layers. I would get the layers .5" off and the bottom most layer 1" off. Took about a half a year to even out, you may want to try it. GL!

I just wanted to post because I'm cranky about my layers. I've been growing my hair from about chin length since last spring. I didn't really notice having a lot of layers in the cut I got at the time except for the sides of my face, which were definitely shorter.

Now, the shortest front layers are just reaching shoulder length, which is a good few inches shorter than my longest bottom layer. And then I have kind of a medium layer that's about an inch or so shorter than my longest layer. So my hemline just looks ridiculous, all over the place. I've been trying all afternoon to take a nice photo to re-do my avatar now that my hair is about an inch longer, and it just looks like craaaaap. I wouldn't care so much about the layers except it's at an annoying length where it can't all fall behind my shoulders and look nice. Grr. :P
My layers/hemline looks rediculous too. I guess it will until it grows longer and we cut it off :)

christine1989
July 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM
I spent over a year growing out my layers then burned off some of my hair on the stove! :( Now it looks like I have layers in front that are growing out.

SapphiraSilver
July 2nd, 2010, 01:24 AM
I spent over a year growing out my layers then burned off some of my hair on the stove! :( Now it looks like I have layers in front that are growing out.

The stove!? scary.

Konstifik
July 2nd, 2010, 01:37 AM
You have my deepest empathy! The last haircut I got at a saloon was pre-LHC and they also gave me this weird ear-layer. It made my hair look thinner and even weirder. >.<
But I've got quite far in my layer-vanishing growth. Still way too slow progress though, of course. :p

x0h_bother
July 2nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
I am just going to finally complain about my top layer..it had been cut to my ear..now I would say it is around chin...and the longest layer is BSL..not to mention my top layer is dry as anything- I've tried protein, oil, and moisture but without those it's a complete carpet that isn't growing very fast. I wonder if I should trim it, but if I do it will just take longer to grow out. *whines*

SapphiraSilver
July 2nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
I am just going to finally complain about my top layer..it had been cut to my ear..now I would say it is around chin...and the longest layer is BSL..not to mention my top layer is dry as anything- I've tried protein, oil, and moisture but without those it's a complete carpet that isn't growing very fast. I wonder if I should trim it, but if I do it will just take longer to grow out. *whines*

Try massaging your scalp, or using products that contain peppermint to help circulation and promote growth, maybe a multi vitamin pill and lots of moisture. I feel your pain. I am dying to grow out my short bangs.

hairg33k
July 2nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
I can't decide still whether or not to keep my layers (and if I do, cut them a little shorter) or to grow them out. Sometimes I want them, sometimes I don't. If only hair was that easy :)

littleflowerr
July 2nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
I try to S&D my shortest layers which is around shoulder length! Just been conditioning them once a week and growing out my long lengths which is like an inch away from BSL.. once i reach about 2 inches below BSL, gona start trimming until layers catch up. Which will take forever -_- trying everything from massaging scalp to putting it up. Just got to learn how to benign neglect! but its too hard!

julliams
July 3rd, 2010, 02:26 AM
I just wanted to chime in and say that if you are one of those people who like me, have layers that are at your shoulders or above and you are thinking of maintaining at APL to try and grow them out........

I took everyone's advice here and didn't cut and now that my hair is BSL the layers are starting to blend in more as my hair becomes curlier with length. I'm one of these wavies where, if you cut my hair short (above shoulder) it won't curl at all. It needs length to form curls - so now at BSL it really almost looks one length. Here are a couple of pics where you can see what I'm talking about. As you can see from my siggy, I could achieve the same effect with scrunching back at christmas (when my siggy was taken), but both of these pics below are simply hair dried with no manipulation at all.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1270/4662624707_98522cff46.jpg http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4756537623_6bdf3af1c6.jpg

eicamawa
July 3rd, 2010, 03:28 AM
I had one layer that was around ear lenght on one side, and almost as long as my face on the other side. It was really anoying, and I have no idea what the person who cut my hair was thinking when she didn't get it even. But now I have grown the shortes part down to my shoulders, while the rest of my hair is around my BSL, or at least almost there.
I tried to grow out my bangs in the front too, but I gave up. They can stay short while the rest of my hair grows longer.

Gnomentum
July 3rd, 2010, 03:33 AM
My shortest layer is now at my shoulder. My longest is at my waist. I HATE my braid taper, I HATE the fact I get sticky out bits on my updos, and I hate the fact that when I S&D the shorter layers have more splits than my hemline. I have NO idea how my shortest layer is SO much shorter than my longest, either.

I'm hoping that as my shortest layer heads toward BSL it'll fit better into the updos...

x0h_bother
July 3rd, 2010, 10:11 PM
My shortest layer is now at my shoulder. My longest is at my waist. I HATE my braid taper, I HATE the fact I get sticky out bits on my updos, and I hate the fact that when I S&D the shorter layers have more splits than my hemline. I have NO idea how my shortest layer is SO much shorter than my longest, either.

I'm hoping that as my shortest layer heads toward BSL it'll fit better into the updos...
Same here- I don't understand why the shorter layer splits so much and why it is so much shorter or slow growing :steam

Hotrox
July 4th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Same here- I don't understand why the shorter layer splits so much and why it is so much shorter or slow growing :steam

and me! it should be the healthiest as its the shortest, buts its certainly the driest, most unmanageable part of my hair :mad:

Dream0331
July 4th, 2010, 03:23 AM
My shortest layer is currently just hitting shoulder length and my longest is just touching the top of BSL. I`ve been doing trims of my hemline, about 1/4inch at a time, just waiting for the layers to catch up.

littleflowerr
July 5th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I just wanted to chime in and say that if you are one of those people who like me, have layers that are at your shoulders or above and you are thinking of maintaining at APL to try and grow them out........

I took everyone's advice here and didn't cut and now that my hair is BSL the layers are starting to blend in more as my hair becomes curlier with length. I'm one of these wavies where, if you cut my hair short (above shoulder) it won't curl at all. It needs length to form curls - so now at BSL it really almost looks one length. Here are a couple of pics where you can see what I'm talking about. As you can see from my siggy, I could achieve the same effect with scrunching back at christmas (when my siggy was taken), but both of these pics below are simply hair dried with no manipulation at all.

Inspiration! i am SO tempted to cut it all to apl and start over but thanks for sharing. I'll try as hard as i can to resist from taking a visit to the salon. Its just that... somedays... it feels neverending! like these short layers will always be a bother, considering my shortest is at my shoulder and it def looks awkward/not blended. But no cutting for me :D

SapphiraSilver
July 5th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Come on... grow you buggar lol.

xoxophelia
July 5th, 2010, 10:04 PM
This may bring some of you down, but I have been growing out my layers for about 2.5 years now. And.. I am still.. growing them out :(

I had the side swept bangs and on the top a thin layer that was about 6". I had decent portions cut off of the bottom a few times. I'm talking about a year's worth of growth twice. But, because the nape of my hair grows much faster than the rest I have a definite V hemline. My old bangs finally reach nl (nipple length lol)

This past years since my last major chop I have done a few 1" trims. Really very little at all. But I have decided to just bite the bullet and live with my wild looking unkempt hair. I'm growing it to waist length which isn't too far for me and then I will start to trim. My goal is to get more length faster above a blunt hemline but to slowly work on the latter.

So pretty much get to waist, maintain about 4 months (an extra 2" off the V) and then cut half the growth until it looks decent while growing to hip. I will probably do something similar at that point if needed (probably will be) and then continue to TB.

Oh yeah.. growing out dye too. UGH

My advice: lose any sense of perfectionism and just be patient.. unless you want to just go ahead and cut short but personally I would hate that. Set a date in the future where you will trim your hair and do not cut it until that date. My "marker" is solid waist.

littleflowerr
July 7th, 2010, 07:11 PM
xoxophelia, ur right! i've been growing out my layers for a year now! The rest of of my hair keep growing and i keep gaining more length between my hemline to my layers so i decided after that trim i got a few days ago, that im going to just grow to bsl and maintain for a few months and then grow to waist which i hope to reach in a year!

x0h_bother
July 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
This may bring some of you down, but I have been growing out my layers for about 2.5 years now. And.. I am still.. growing them out :(

I had the side swept bangs and on the top a thin layer that was about 6". I had decent portions cut off of the bottom a few times. I'm talking about a year's worth of growth twice. But, because the nape of my hair grows much faster than the rest I have a definite V hemline. My old bangs finally reach nl (nipple length lol)

This past years since my last major chop I have done a few 1" trims. Really very little at all.
Did you trim your layers too or just your bottom layer?

issalynn
July 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Glad I'm not alone in this! I've been seriously growing my hair out for about a year. It was an ear length bob before with side-swept eyebrow length bangs. Now my hair is about 23". Unfortunately, when I went to the salon to ask for long layers the stylist did the exact opposite. He gave me what I like to call and "Asian Mullet" This is the second time this has happened to me. It's like the stylist sees that I'm young and Asian and decides to give me a hip edgy haircut. Gahhh, I hated it! My shortest layers were the same length as my super short blunt bangs (also a bummer) and they were really choppy and thick. They made me look like I had a blunt bob with a long rat tail.

On top of that my hair has been thinning like crazy. We're trying to figure out if it's a postpartum, breastfeeding or hormonal problem. Hopefully, it's not permanent. I love my hair!

xoxophelia
July 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Did you trim your layers too or just your bottom layer?I have barely cut the layers at all. Now, most of the "layers" have blended in but originally my bangs were above my eyebrows and the longest hair to nearly waist.. and now longest again getting close to waist and the bangs much longer :)

Unfortunately the hair in the front for me grows much more slowly

alwayssmiling
July 8th, 2010, 02:08 PM
My once beloved layers are now simply the bain of my life. Where the rest of my hair is starting to curl nicely the shorter layers are either fairly straight or just stick out. I'm hoping after a couple more inches they may behave more, then when I reach my goal I can start to really grow them out.

SapphiraSilver
July 9th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Glad I'm not alone in this! I've been seriously growing my hair out for about a year. It was an ear length bob before with side-swept eyebrow length bangs. Now my hair is about 23". Unfortunately, when I went to the salon to ask for long layers the stylist did the exact opposite. He gave me what I like to call and "Asian Mullet" This is the second time this has happened to me. It's like the stylist sees that I'm young and Asian and decides to give me a hip edgy haircut. Gahhh, I hated it! My shortest layers were the same length as my super short blunt bangs (also a bummer) and they were really choppy and thick. They made me look like I had a blunt bob with a long rat tail.

On top of that my hair has been thinning like crazy. We're trying to figure out if it's a postpartum, breastfeeding or hormonal problem. Hopefully, it's not permanent. I love my hair!

That's not fair at all, hair dressers should cut your hair the way you want them too, not make decisions for you. I hate when they don't listen to you.

I feel for you, My hair has been thinning at the front for years now, you can clearly see the scalp. I hope you find a way to help your hair.

kristymarie87
July 9th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Quick question, i have pretty short layers <<<<my icon u can see the length but the layers range from tip of ear and down.

My hair flicks out all over the place, would this be due to layers, or is it because i have waves now? (my hair was always straight, but never dries straight anymore, even when i brush as it dries!)

xoxophelia
July 9th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Kristy- It is possible you have waves. Your hair in the front is also still pretty short so there is nothing to hold the hair down. It is possibly too early to say if you are actually a 2a (or more? :D) or if it is how your hair was cut or damage.

The best way to find out your real hair texture is to stop coloring with chemical dye, stop heat styling, and just grow it out.

HintOfMint
July 9th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I got a trim to get rid of the longest layer, which was sticking out like a row of little tassels (not a good look). She didn't touch the rest of the layers, and she said that they are completely undamaged, so I am that much closer to having a more graduated hemline!

chipzahoy
July 9th, 2010, 08:57 PM
The top layers from my old angled bob are finally hitting nape length, and seem to be catching up in length to my longest layers which are at the base of my neck, since the distance between the two used to be much greater! The front long layer is still at "flip" length though.. arg

ooo
July 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM
my shortest layer is at chin length, but it curls up to long bangs or something. I'll have to live with them like forever, because I want to get to APL first and my hair is only fairly shoulder now.

xoxophelia
July 10th, 2010, 07:24 PM
my shortest layer is at chin length, but it curls up to long bangs or something. I'll have to live with them like forever, because I want to get to APL first and my hair is only fairly shoulder now.

Oh yes, when I was growing out my bangs I had the same problem and it flipped out when I put the hair behind my ears. Bobby pins helped but you will have them long enough to fall better in no time :)

NJoy
July 10th, 2010, 08:22 PM
*sigh* Just wanna let out a huge layers vent.

My hair was freshly layered for the first time ever just before I decided to grow my hair long. I'm normally hovering around apl and when I let a stylist that I'd NEVER used before layer my hair, she also removed about 3 inches of length. Then, when I went in to my regular stylist, she complained that whoever cut my layers did a piss poor job so SHE had to cut even more to even my hair up. She said that it was like the original girl forgot one side of my hair. :mad: But, by the time my stylist was done, my hair looked fabulous. But now that I've grown my hair to bsl, I think it looks ok from behind but from the side...ugh!!!!! I HATE MY LAYERS!!! WHY OH WHY DID I GET MY HAIR LAYERED??! I could have nice thick bsl with a blunt hem right now. :rant:

...:nono:

x0h_bother
July 11th, 2010, 09:48 AM
*sigh* Just wanna let out a huge layers vent.

My hair was freshly layered for the first time ever just before I decided to grow my hair long. I'm normally hovering around apl and when I let a stylist that I'd NEVER used before layer my hair, she also removed about 3 inches of length. Then, when I went in to my regular stylist, she complained that whoever cut my layers did a piss poor job so SHE had to cut even more to even my hair up. She said that it was like the original girl forgot one side of my hair. :mad: But, by the time my stylist was done, my hair looked fabulous. But now that I've grown my hair to bsl, I think it looks ok from behind but from the side...ugh!!!!! I HATE MY LAYERS!!! WHY OH WHY DID I GET MY HAIR LAYERED??! I could have nice thick bsl with a blunt hem right now. :rant:

Me too, from the side it's bad, and even worse from front bc my BSL hair is hiding in back while my SL layer swings forward, makinig it look like ALL my hair is SL :mad:

WilloTheWisp
July 11th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Here too is one who tries to grow out annoying layers! I really hate them, they always come sticking out when I keep my hair braided or in a some sort of bun. I try to oil my hair a lot so it would look sleek but usually it just looks greasy :( then it's useless to try to use hairstick because it keeps falling of. Too slippery I suppose....

I'm about BSL now and have layers on shoulders and armpits. It's really annoying because they make my hair look terrible, thin, drier, awful, short..... :mad: the list could go on and on. Fierce growing project on the go! :cheese:

tinti
July 11th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I HATE MY LAYERS!!! WHY OH WHY DID I GET MY HAIR LAYERED??! I could have nice thick bsl with a blunt hem right now. :rant:

Ditto! I really, really hate my layers. The shortest ones are just below my cheekbone/nape of the neck now. WHY did I cut them!? Just a stupid impulsive cut in May, thank goodness they've grown an inch and a half, but still! If I told myself no, I'd have a nice, thick, blunt hemlined, almost waist lenght hair. And I had just managed to grow out my old layers! Sheesh. It only took me 2 years to get from SL to BSL, but still!

thriftesfai
July 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I'm amazed at how long it takes to grow out layers...I quite like the long ones at the back but the front pieces are taking forever...

xoxophelia
July 11th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Ditto! I really, really hate my layers. The shortest ones are just below my cheekbone/nape of the neck now. WHY did I cut them!? Just a stupid impulsive cut in May, thank goodness they've grown an inch and a half, but still! If I told myself no, I'd have a nice, thick, blunt hemlined, almost waist lenght hair. And I had just managed to grow out my old layers! Sheesh. It only took me 2 years to get from SL to BSL, but still!

One thing that upsets me about the layers is that I told somebody today.. my hair is finally to waist. And I was really happy about it and they just looked at me like I was crazy because the hairs in the front are shorter :(

That actually hurt my feelings I know it is stupid but then they wouldn't let it go.

HintOfMint
July 11th, 2010, 09:21 PM
One thing that upsets me about the layers is that I told somebody today.. my hair is finally to waist. And I was really happy about it and they just looked at me like I was crazy because the hairs in the front are shorter :(

That actually hurt my feelings I know it is stupid but then they wouldn't let it go.

Oh how awful. The person is a bit on the slow side if they can't realize that a layered haircut means that a person can have parts of their hair be really long.
But still, I can understand how that situation is embarrassing and frustrating. :flower:

SapphiraSilver
July 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Oh that sucks! No one should have to hurt your feelings. It's tough enough not having what you want and your self image and esteem and confidence all lowered because you don't like something about your hair, I know my confidence and self image is effected by the fact that i hate my hair. You don't need people making you feel even worse. I feel for you, and don't you worry, we'll all get rid of these damn layers.

xoxophelia
July 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Oh that sucks! No one should have to hurt your feelings. It's tough enough not having what you want and your self image and esteem and confidence all lowered because you don't like something about your hair, I know my confidence and self image is effected by the fact that i hate my hair. You don't need people making you feel even worse. I feel for you, and don't you worry, we'll all get rid of these damn layers.

Well part of what is hard about growing them out for me is that unless I style it carefully, it can look a bit ratty. I can't cut the parts that are growing out hardly at all or they will never catch up. My self image has been badly hurt due to events against my will and so possibly that is why I wish to improve my hair :S... fix things.

Yamainu
July 13th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Until reading this thread, I didn't even realize that layers were the reason my updo's always had things sticking out of them. *head desk*

I've been getting them consistently since middle school, since my hair's so fine (the stylist always insisted it would make my hair look thicker). I've been trying to grow my hair out for three years now, and am looking at long, fairytale ends. Bleh.

I vacillate between wanting to get to classic and just maintain until the layers all catch up and cutting to APL and starting over with an even hemline.

kristymarie87
July 13th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Growing out layers is the hardest thing ever!

Because to keep them neat, you need reg trims, to grow them you cant trim and so they look a mess!!

Mine need a good half inch off but if i do that every 9 weeks they will take years to grow out! So i have to get dustings on the layers and hope to god they catch up sometime soon!

I forgot how short they were to begin with so i have no idea how much theyve grown! Just to my ears now :(

SapphiraSilver
July 13th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Well part of what is hard about growing them out for me is that unless I style it carefully, it can look a bit ratty. I can't cut the parts that are growing out hardly at all or they will never catch up. My self image has been badly hurt due to events against my will and so possibly that is why I wish to improve my hair :S... fix things.

I know how you feel, I am the same, I have seriously fried and uneven layers were the hair line is and bangs that are really short due to a "chemical haircut" broken off after bleaching which look just horrible and has made me so depressed its just awful. I can't wait for these short layered bangs to grow to my chin at least, the shortest broken off one is at my eye brow. It will take so long, but thanks to this community, we have a place to talk about our frustration.

xoxophelia
July 13th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Until reading this thread, I didn't even realize that layers were the reason my updo's always had things sticking out of them. *head desk*

I've been getting them consistently since middle school, since my hair's so fine (the stylist always insisted it would make my hair look thicker). I've been trying to grow my hair out for three years now, and am looking at long, fairytale ends. Bleh.

I vacillate between wanting to get to classic and just maintain until the layers all catch up and cutting to APL and starting over with an even hemline.

You could go more towards a middle road? Come September I will be starting regular trims and cutting off all of my gained length for a little while to even up the hemline and try to let the layers catch up. I think cutting back to the shortest layer for me would be too shocking :S

kristy- This is the good thing about also growing out dye.. I can literally see the new growth. What I have realized from this is that the front of my hair grows much slower O.O... it is like double jeapordy when trying to grow out bangs.

Sapphira- I can definitely understand the frustration. My front is pretty uneven as well but I am just forcing myself to wait to start cutting. I'm not sure what updos you can do but I have been thinking lately I should do more of these. I never wear my hair up and it might distract from the uneveness.

BombaySapphire
July 13th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I want to complain about my layers. A stylists gave me a V-cut a couple years ago (I consented, can't blame her) it was done more drastically that I thought it would be and the growing out is BRUTAL. I am also growing bangs out which now look like layers in the front.

I do trims 2x a year, and I think that helps a bit. I am going to see a new stylist and see if she would be able to straighten out the bottom while giving me some layers high up on the head- if it looks good I will maintain that.

Synthemesc
July 13th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Think I'll be much less of a grumpy bunny once I have APL with no layers. Be able to just bun it out of sight and mind for a while :)

squiggyflop
July 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM
ugh you all think growing out your layers is bad? ill trade you for my hair that grows in layers.... every few months the underside gets much longer than the canopy (it grows faster for some reason).. so no matter what i do the process of growing out layers is never over for me.. i guestamate the underside grows about twice as fast as the canopy.. evil hair want to have layers all the time.. *pout* this results in near constant trimming..

laurathexplora
July 15th, 2010, 08:18 AM
So I'm really angry at my hair right now. Ugh! I wanted a mirco trim but the stylist talked me into an inch. I'm definitely closer to getting rid of my layer but my hair is shorter now. What the heck?!?!? It's like my grandmother always used to say... I cut it twice and it's still too short.

LILBERT
July 15th, 2010, 09:27 AM
lauratheexplora I was going to post on your other thread but you had already gone to the salon. We sound like were at the exact same stage! My hair is between APL and BSL and i have a layer at around shoulder length. Just wanted to say i was reading your post and it was like you were in my head! lol! :p Honestly, i know exactly where your coming from. We even have same texture of hair. And i totally get what you mean about the shorter layer not staying behind your shoulders, its always seperating from the rest of the hair.

FWIW, ive just had an inch trimmed off last month and hated it too. But it will let the layers catch up quicker :( I know its frustrating. The worst part i find is your ends dont often need trimming, but you have to trim anyway to let the layers catch up which seems like a complete waste of growth. And the ends of the layers, which are the ones i see most often because the fall infront of my shoulders, and really wispy and in need of a trim. Grrrrr.....:mad:

rosieex3
July 15th, 2010, 09:33 AM
It's funny, because I actually love how layers look on long, wavy hair...exactly what I have. But, I honestly cannot wait until my layers grow out. I can't take them anymore. I thought they were a good idea at first, but now I'm realizing that my hair needs a lot of weight on it to look good and tamed. My length gives it the weight. The bottom layer of my hair is nice and weight down, but the rest that are cut into layers look very "fluffed" out and they get frizzy. I think for my hair type, its best for it to be long and all one length. I am also growing out bangs but they have grown a lot!

x0h_bother
July 18th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Any top-layer growth suggestions?
My bottom layer grows wayyy faster too.
PS I am getting a trim this week: .25in off layer(s), .5in off ends---- On Friday!!!

JenniferNoel
July 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I have these awful chin length layers towards the front right behind my bangs and it looks ridiculous. Why they're there, I may never know. They're almost gone though, thankfully. They're half the reason I cut from BSL to shoulder, I care less about length then these unacceptable chunks of hair. :mad:

Hotrox
July 18th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Any top-layer growth suggestions?
My bottom layer grows wayyy faster too.
PS I am getting a trim this week: .25in off layer(s), .5in off ends.

I have this too - it does seem more common in us curly heads. When I do my scalp massage I just do the canopy part - I have no idea if it helps but its the only thing I can think of!

spitfire511
July 19th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Rargh - so glad this thread is here! The layers I have are nice for wearing my hair down, BUT I can't manage a single updo at this point.:( Every single one that I try winds up with chunks sticking out everywhere. WAH!

Okay - done crying now. I'm just so glad to have found LHC and know that I'm not alone because it was starting to feel that way around here!

x0h_bother
July 22nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Layer evening/trimming tomorrow :/ I hope it helps the top layer grow although it's counterintuitive. My middle layer caught up with my bottom layer, so I have 2 layers (top and bottom) with a long gap between them, so I'm sure my hairdresser will comment on its hideousness. Oh well, she cut the layers to begin with, but I can't control their growth! She will definately comment on the fact that my hair has barely grown since she trimmed me late march (avitar) to now (sig).

Mexibeach
July 24th, 2010, 05:27 AM
It will take me years to grow out these layers....

lillithnight
July 24th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Its going to take me take me 5 months to get my layer near my nape to bsl, then a year to grow out the top. This all while stretched and not left kinky curly. And then I have to wait a year for it to get to waist while straight.

Sammich
July 24th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I've trimmed twice this month and I'm still at waist, woot! I'm hoping my layers will disappear by the end of this year, or spring next year. :)

Kimarie91
July 24th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I find the layers especially annoying while trying to braid. The middle section is so much longer I have to leave a much longer tail than I want. I'm just self trimming and hope the layers catch up over the next year.

Sammich
July 24th, 2010, 09:22 AM
My layers are going to take till probably next year to grow out, (At least all of them) LOL! Damn the neo mullet cut making ends look so thin! :p
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4527&pictureid=77718

Shortest layers at mid ear. :p So thick up top! So looking forward to it all growing out.

AZDesertRose
July 24th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I've pretty much decided to grow out my bangs/fringe as well as my layers. That's going to be such a pain, and it's going to take forever for the bangs to reach the rest of my hair. Argh!

Smile4Kiki
July 24th, 2010, 11:48 PM
my last (horrible) cut was an inverted bob with bangs so I now have hair that is about an inch and a half longer in front than at the nape and bangs that are up to my nose. I'm eventually going to have to get the back and front evened out but I'm waiting until the back hits a bit past sl so I can cut it back to a blunt sl. After that no more trims for the next year except maybe a dusting or two

SapphiraSilver
July 25th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I've pretty much decided to grow out my bangs/fringe as well as my layers. That's going to be such a pain, and it's going to take forever for the bangs to reach the rest of my hair. Argh!

I am right there with you hon.

x0h_bother
July 25th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Since my trim Friday, my layers and bangs are disappearing! With a shorter longest layer they blend in more and don't look so far from the hemline. I would seriously recommend trimming if you have spread out layers like me :) The only thing I hated about the trim was the WAY she trims, she does something like texturizing or just not cutting blunt, so my ends come to a point and I'm sure she's got some good reason to cut that way but the uneven ends she always leaves me with drive me nuts.

paigeturner
July 25th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Layers are my biggest regret! Luckyily, they aren't TOO drastic. I dislike my side fringe. Once my fringe is long enough to tie back with my pony, I swear it'll thicken by at least another inch!

AZDesertRose
July 25th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I would leave my bangs alone and just grow out the layers except my hair wants to curl too much and the bangs look like a frizzy curly mess instead of the smooth sideswept look I was going for, and I'm not willing to heat-style and/or product the life out of my hair just to get the bangs/fringe to behave, so the heck with it. I'll just grow them out along with the layers.

SapphiraSilver
July 25th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I would leave my bangs alone and just grow out the layers except my hair wants to curl too much and the bangs look like a frizzy curly mess instead of the smooth sideswept look I was going for, and I'm not willing to heat-style and/or product the life out of my hair just to get the bangs/fringe to behave, so the heck with it. I'll just grow them out along with the layers.

I have the same problem, my side swept bangs are all frizzy if I air dry, gets all curly and just awful to the touch, but you are brave! I am not brave enough to give up the heat on them. But I assume that when they grow at least to the chin, it may be possible to give up the heat.

Happy growing.

Cheeks1206
July 25th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I hate pixie cut layers!! :justy:

That is all.:D

AZDesertRose
July 25th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I have the same problem, my side swept bangs are all frizzy if I air dry, gets all curly and just awful to the touch, but you are brave! I am not brave enough to give up the heat on them. But I assume that when they grow at least to the chin, it may be possible to give up the heat.

Happy growing.

Thanks. What annoys the crap out of me is that even if I do blow-dry my bangs, they're straight for a while and then curl up because of the humidity (I'm in Florida), and they wind up looking like I just air-dried them. So, as I said, the heck with it. :)

Happy growing to you too.

JBO
July 26th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Question: Why do stylists say layers will make thick hair more manageable, thin hair look thicker, curly hair lay better. NO. Have yet to have my hair improved by layers. What is the obsession with putting layers in peoples hair? They'll basically say, "Your hair has a problem, putting layers in will fix it." How can that be? All I have had happen with layers is bad lengths, mullet grow outs, and uneven ends.

JBO
July 26th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Also, anyone had layers and successfully grown them out? If so, how long did it take?

x0h_bother
July 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
JBO, maybe layers are harder to cut then a blunt hemline cut, and therefore they want to experiment on us.
The only thing I've been told that is true about what layers do is they do lighten the heaviness/weight from the hair. But so does getting a short haircut; why aren't they pushing that?
Layers are a pain in my curly hair, and they say it helps the hair lie better (no).

x0h_bother
August 13th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I am in layer hell right now-they are at a difficult stage where it doesn't look good down, up, half up, or straight. Any cute ideas for putting the top layers out of the way? I need some help.

xoxophelia
August 14th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I am in layer hell right now-they are at a difficult stage where it doesn't look good down, up, half up, or straight. Any cute ideas for putting the top layers out of the way? I need some help.

When I was in the stage of growing out my layers that I had fringe is front that was chunky, wavy, and slightly below my chin, I would pin the hairs in front to the side of my head in such an angle that they didn't stick out from my head.

When I french braid my hair before sleeping in damp hair it also blends in the layers.

x0h_bother
August 14th, 2010, 08:51 AM
When I was in the stage of growing out my layers that I had fringe is front that was chunky, wavy, and slightly below my chin, I would pin the hairs in front to the side of my head in such an angle that they didn't stick out from my head.

When I french braid my hair before sleeping in damp hair it also blends in the layers.

Thank you! Those are really good ideas, I will try those :blossom:

lajsa
August 14th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I'm growing out my bangs (they're pretty long now, but still shorter than the rest of the hair, and it looks stupid), and I think I had some layers there somewhere but I'm not sure. It feels kind of like every part of my hair is a different length or something. I want it all to be the same length so that the hemline would hopefully be a little thicker and less stripey. My sister and mother wants me to cut new bangs but I don't want to. I mean, they never lie flat on my forehead anyway, they part down the middle and it looks stupid. Might as well grow them out ;)

... it's just sad that it takes so long for them to reach normal length. :( And in the meantime it looks stupid.

Viechen
August 14th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Am I allowed to post the fact that I absolutely love my layers? I completely understand what you guys are saying because mine were cut wrong before and really looked terrible but since I got them done properly they are the only thing keeping my hair from looking huge and super poufy (sp?).
I am trying to get rid of my side swept bangs though. They just keep dangling in my face and get in the way at work and such... Thankfully not much further to go :)

xoxophelia
August 14th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I'm growing out my bangs (they're pretty long now, but still shorter than the rest of the hair, and it looks stupid), and I think I had some layers there somewhere but I'm not sure. It feels kind of like every part of my hair is a different length or something. I want it all to be the same length so that the hemline would hopefully be a little thicker and less stripey. My sister and mother wants me to cut new bangs but I don't want to. I mean, they never lie flat on my forehead anyway, they part down the middle and it looks stupid. Might as well grow them out ;)

... it's just sad that it takes so long for them to reach normal length. :( And in the meantime it looks stupid.

I'm dealing with exactly the same issue. My bangs are maybe around APL but the longest section is now waist. My hemline used to be a V due to the layers but I have slowly made tiny trims and it is not more like a U/V.

I can't wait for all of this damage, faded color, AND layers to be gone O.z

charalito
August 27th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Two years ago I had the "brilliant" idea of going to a new stylist and asking for a makeover of her choice. I ended up with school kid bangs, which now are SL layers. I had to have them trimmed so they didn't look odd now that they're actually layers, but the current strategy is doing my own microtrims and waiting for them to reach the rest of my hair....

I hate the layers and hate hate hate that they make spiky braids, but sometimes when wearing my hair down, they are not so bad :rolleyes:

x0h_bother
August 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Two years ago I had the "brilliant" idea of going to a new stylist and asking for a makeover of her choice. I ended up with school kid bangs, which now are SL layers. I had to have them trimmed so they didn't look odd now that they're actually layers, but the current strategy is doing my own microtrims and waiting for them to reach the rest of my hair....

I hate the layers and hate hate hate that they make spiky braids, but sometimes when wearing my hair down, they are not so bad :rolleyes:
I keep trying braids and sighing :mad: One day...

andwife
September 1st, 2010, 02:47 PM
Like others I am thankful for this thread. I am frustrated by my layers in updo's and braids but when it's down it makes my wavy heavy hair look nice. Right now I'm more interested in the first. Probably because I'm not wanting to blow dry my hair or use a straightening iron or my stash of gel, mouse, etc.

So where before my layers looked nice, fluffy and curly now they are flat and bothersome. Plus, I feel like a fake saying that my hair is between BSL and waist. My longest layer is between BSL and waist. However, my hair is REALLY layered. My shortest layer are probably APL or possibly even shorter then that. I can do some of the updo's but there are stickies and they bug me, oh well. I'll see how I do with this. It's only been a couple of weeks that I committed to growing it out. I"m not cutting it. My plan is to let it get waist length or longer and keep cutting it bit by bit. It's pretty healthy so I think I'm ok. Plus I have a hairdresser that seems to understand my goal which is great.

We'll see.

mizsunshyne
September 1st, 2010, 02:54 PM
Yay for this post! I recently posted something about this, too. It's so annoying waiting for it to grow out. By the time it grows into that really awkward phase before it blends, I get tempted to cut them all over again! So here's to waiting it out....

xoxophelia
September 1st, 2010, 03:28 PM
Well I just cut my own hair a little bit. I did cut the front some as well because it needed it (I have hardly been cutting it at all for two years.. it just looked uneven). I took off maybe a little bit more than an inch from the bottom of the V.

I have old dye, heat damage, and layers to grow out.. which is mostly bangs at this point so I think I need to trim on a regular basis for a bit before I go on to TB. I want my hair to be long for spring though even more than I want to be rid of the layers. So my plan is to cut .5" off the V (or U now?) on my birthday (Nov 19th) and then outside of dustings and S&D which I will allow myself to do once a month, not cut until sometime next spring. O.O

This means protective updos during the winter I guess?

lockswitoutkeys
September 2nd, 2010, 12:49 AM
Ugh, almost a year ago I got bangs and tons of layers. It looked great the first day and after that it was just a mess. My bottom layers have finally reached BSL.. I guess the suckish part bout growing out layers is that if you chop 'em all off, you've lost all that growth that happened inbetween. Growing out bangs is worse.

andwife
September 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Ugh, almost a year ago I got bangs and tons of layers. It looked great the first day and after that it was just a mess. My bottom layers have finally reached BSL.. I guess the suckish part bout growing out layers is that if you chop 'em all off, you've lost all that growth that happened inbetween. Growing out bangs is worse.

I'm glad I don't have bangs but I agree that chopping off layers and losing the growth is depressing. After reading this thread I took a "good look" at my hair and when I start cutting the layers out I will lose a lot of length. However, I'm still going to wait until it hits waist length and then start cutting evening (sp) it out. Otherwise it would be too sad for me... :p

mizsunshyne
September 2nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
[quote=lockswitoutkeys;1239066... I guess the suckish part bout growing out layers is that if you chop 'em all off, you've lost all that growth that happened inbetween....[/quote]

Tell me about it. My haiir was at APL just 4 weeks ago, then I cut it to my shoulders, layers and all! I so regret it! Now I'm here, trying to do the math..."ok, now if my hair grows .5 inch every month and I want it at least 36 inches and it's 18 now...that's like...3 years!" 3 years?! What am I going to do with myself until then? haha :P

xoxophelia
September 2nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
I'm glad I don't have bangs but I agree that chopping off layers and losing the growth is depressing. After reading this thread I took a "good look" at my hair and when I start cutting the layers out I will lose a lot of length. However, I'm still going to wait until it hits waist length and then start cutting evening (sp) it out. Otherwise it would be too sad for me... :p

That is exactly what I did. I am slightly above waist right now again because I decided to do an inch both of these past months from the bottom of the now U hemline. I was just too frustrated with my hair from damage an uneveness. My ends are actually starting to shape up though and get more blunt so I think I can wait for more.

You might be surprised how little time you have to maintain to get decent results :)

Miss Misha
September 2nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Question: Why do stylists say layers will make thick hair more manageable, thin hair look thicker, curly hair lay better. NO. Have yet to have my hair improved by layers. What is the obsession with putting layers in peoples hair? They'll basically say, "Your hair has a problem, putting layers in will fix it." How can that be? All I have had happen with layers is bad lengths, mullet grow outs, and uneven ends.

I can speak from personal experience that layers absolutely do not make one's hair look thicker. Rather, they make fine hair harder to manage and style and look choppy and straggly once they begin to get too long. I personally feel that some stylists recommed layers because there is more maintenance involved and they theorize that they'll get more repeat business. JMHO.

xoxophelia
September 2nd, 2010, 12:31 PM
I can speak from personal experience that layers absolutely do not make one's hair look thicker. Rather, they make fine hair harder to manage and style and look choppy and straggly once they begin to get too long. I personally feel that some stylists recommed layers because there is more maintenance involved and they theorize that they'll get more repeat business. JMHO.

I think it is more a style issue. They think it is more stylish to have layers but I personally want healthy, even, and long hair so difference of opinion I guess. And yeah, they definitely did not make my hair look thicker :/

andwife
September 3rd, 2010, 09:47 PM
Glad to hear that my plan- sounds like a plan. I think the reason I got into layers in the first place was to make it more "manageable". Whatever. It is feeling very unmanageable right now in braids and updo's ;-) Ha!

xoxophelia
September 4th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Glad to hear that my plan- sounds like a plan. I think the reason I got into layers in the first place was to make it more "manageable". Whatever. It is feeling very unmanageable right now in braids and updo's ;-) Ha!

I felt like when my layers were their most extreme, my hair looked crappy down if I didn't heat style it (and boy it really did) but also bad up :/..

It is definitely partly due to my hair type which is somewhat wavy and also that it was a cycle of damage that makes your hair look horrible without styling.

We just have to keep in mind the benefits that we are all hoping to get.

x0h_bother
September 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I felt like when my layers were their most extreme, my hair looked crappy down if I didn't heat style it (and boy it really did) but also bad up :/..

It is definitely partly due to my hair type which is somewhat wavy and also that it was a cycle of damage that makes your hair look horrible without styling.

We just have to keep in mind the benefits that we are all hoping to get.
I couldn't have said it better. With my hair type, it is a long road to recovery and nice updos.

cmaj2224
September 5th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Ugh, I feel like I am always growing out layers. I am always told because I have thick hair that I need some layers to lighten it up...but if these layers are too short they POOF up. How do these stylists not know this? Or why would they do this?

Four months ago I asked for a short bob with long layers....I got this cut before and it was really nice looking. Then I got a different guy and he totally butchered my hair....my shortest layer was like two inches....I mean my hair was short. Anyways, by the time I realized just how short it was it was too late.

Soo, here I am waiting for these ridiculously angled short layers to grow out. Seriously it looks awful. I think I need to go to another place and get a trim because my front is getting longer than everything else. So, frustrating. But it will grow back and next time I think I will just not even mention anything about layers. I have more luck if I just shut up about it. It just seems when I say "layers" they think short.

xoxophelia
September 8th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I couldn't have said it better. With my hair type, it is a long road to recovery and nice updos.

I think your hair even looks really good right now :)

Of course it may end up looking even better but you definitely have a better "starting line" hair situation than I did.. or do? :/

kitschy
September 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I am really aggravated. My top layer get damaged really easily. It gets lighter in color and really cottony ends. I keep trimming off the damaged top layer because it is so awful - my bottom layers keep growing fine.

I don't know how to stop the cycle. In order to get rid of layers I need to trim the bottom layers and not the top. I don't see how my damaged layer is ever going to last through the years and years it will take to grow out even with the bottom layer.

irishlady
September 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I couldn't help but smile at this thread, I have annoying layers to grow out too, that make my braids look so thin and gross.
For the most part I ignore them, but they make it hard to do the nice hairstyles I want to try!

andwife
September 10th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I don't know how to stop the cycle. In order to get rid of layers I need to trim the bottom layers and not the top. I don't see how my damaged layer is ever going to last through the years and years it will take to grow out even with the bottom layer.

I'm not sure about how my upper layers are doing as far as "health". I think my hair is fairly healthy. However, there is one layer that makes NO sense to me because it is in the center of my head and there are no others that are that short. Then it dawned on me, I must have ripped out a pony tail holder one day. THAT is the short short layer. ARGH!

I just keep treating all my hair the same and plan on tiny tiny trims along the way since it appears that the lady that I found to cut my hair seems to understand "the plan".

x0h_bother
September 10th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I am really aggravated. My top layer get damaged really easily. It gets lighter in color and really cottony ends. I keep trimming off the damaged top layer because it is so awful - my bottom layers keep growing fine.

I am going through this issue too. I want to cut the bottom, not the top! The top is more wirey and dry but has less splits. The bottom has all the splits but it is generally in better condition than the top. All I can do is try to protect the canopy and play the waiting game. Once it is all one length I can cut the damage.

x0h_bother
September 10th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I think your hair even looks really good right now :)

Of course it may end up looking even better but you definitely have a better "starting line" hair situation than I did.. or do? :/
Thank you :blossom:!
I'm not sure I did, I flat ironed every day! But I did trim a ton, so possibly. :) Hang in there!

jayde9
September 14th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I am growing out pregnancy shed layers, which are more like wild baby hairs sprouting where ever they please. If I wear a ponytail I have wings at my temples and a hair halo of about 3 inches at my hairline.

ARGH!
I am too, my daughter is almost 10 months and I have tons of regrowth. My hair thinned out alot. Horrible

Miss Misha
September 14th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Just coming back to *vent* about these stupid #@^*(^&#37;"]&%#@^*(^% layers!!!! I spent over half hour on Sunday trying to get the not-quite-grown-out bangs to smooth down and twist the length into some sort of bun/french twist/whatheheckever in the back of my head. On days like that I just want to shave a la Brittany Spears and start all over again. :mad:

Phew, thanks. Better now.

Atira
September 14th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Oh yes, I've had layers for over a decade. Now I'm just not cutting my hair at all, but the longest pieces are mid-back and the shortest touch my shoulders. Bleh.

Flossiebell
September 14th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I can't wait for my layers to grow out. I had my hair 'professionally' cut nearly a year ago as the mad hairdresser before them had cut my hair into a fluff ball. It was all wispy and horrible and I hated it. So I asked for my new hairdresser to make the layers more blunt, ie less fluffy. I had a trim a couple of weeks ago courtesy of my mom in law and she says that there are no 'layers' as such but it looks like my hair is all sorts of lengths and there is no uniformity at all. This will take years to grow out and in the mean time I have to look like a dandelion clock :P If someone advises you to have layers...walk away. Fast.

theprettyreck
September 14th, 2010, 12:52 PM
i don't know why i did it, but i cut my own hair. :/ and made my layers like 4 inches off the original length. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THEM TO GROW OUT! -____-