PDA

View Full Version : Too much wind!

Juliannaissance
April 29th, 2010, 11:54 AM
It's been extremely windy here in southern California for a while now. I keep forgetting to tie up my hair since the mornings seem calm, but then the winds pick up again. I have a bunch of tangles and my hair feels gross, dry, and clumped together. Also if I braid my hair my bangs fly all over the place. A ponytail doesn't really help because the hair is still loose, and a bun also doesn't help. Ahhhhh!!!! I feel like I need to cut my hair again because of all the tangles. What should I do with tangles and wind in this situation?:mad:

cmnt831
April 29th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I live in a super windy place and when it's that bad, I resort to a giant claw clip. All the hair is safe inside it where the wind can't get to it. Maybe you could creatively pin your bangs down with cute clips? Also, scarves help to some degree.

I'm sure other people will have more creative ideas, but the claw clip is quick and easy and contains all the hair. I suppose you could keep it in your purse or bag and use it when the wind picks up later in the day. Just a thought.

frizzalot
April 29th, 2010, 12:03 PM
you could try slides, bobby pins for the fringe. Maybe use a hairband, the material ones.

Or do a side french plait.

when i first read the thread title i thought you meant gas XD

cmnt831
April 29th, 2010, 12:05 PM
when i first read the thread title i thought you meant gas XD

I thought the same. :o :p

Carolyn
April 29th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Maybe you need to try a different kind of bun. I live in a very windy place and buns works fine. I get a lot of little wispies coming out and blowing around but it isn't enough hair to tangle that bad. I do a lot of cinnamon buns, figure 8 buns, and bee butt buns. A figure 8 bun held with a spider claw clip stays in very well.

Sunny_side_up
April 29th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Funny title!!:D

I hate the feeling of my hair after its been out in wind, My hair isn't that thick and strands spin round each other and its shuddersome hearing breakage. Coming home traveling on the bus through central London i saw a young lady on a bicycle with her near tailbone fine hair loose, It seemed to have naturally gone on one spiral on itself from BSL down. I wouldnt do such a thing, 'hedge' and 'backwards' come to mind:p

Amraann
April 29th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I would not cut it due to tangles.

My hair tangles easily in the wind too. I just gently brush it more often. Keep the ends well conditioned.

I do hope that you don't cut it as it looks really pretty.

Rivanariko
April 29th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I grew up in a very windy place. Dutch braids seemed to stay best for me, two could last for a couple days. I haven't had bangs in a very long time, but a cloth headband would probably help keep them in control. A scarf might also be a good option, to totally contain your hair and protect it from the wind.

Svenja
April 29th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I live right at the coast in the far North East of the UK and wind is ALWaYS an issue. On extremely windy days the French Tuck works best for me, as well as the Gibson Tuck. Also huge claw clip works. What you also might want to try is get a barrette with a net, so in case the wind comes up, make a pony tail and stuff all your hair into the net.

http://www.ebuni.com/images/hair_bun/full/bun0029.jpg

windinherhair
April 29th, 2010, 06:42 PM
That is one of the things I really love about southern California and being so close to the ocean. :) This is where I live now but I am not from this area. I used to pray for a windy day where I lived before. I don't like tangles though! I enjoy the wind the most when I have my hair pulled back (no matter what my user name says! :D). 5 days out of the week my hair is pulled up in a bun of some sort for work, and I pull my bangs back with a head band. So I don't get any tangles that way.

Juliannaissance
April 29th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I live in a super windy place and when it's that bad, I resort to a giant claw clip. All the hair is safe inside it where the wind can't get to it. Maybe you could creatively pin your bangs down with cute clips? Also, scarves help to some degree.

I'm sure other people will have more creative ideas, but the claw clip is quick and easy and contains all the hair. I suppose you could keep it in your purse or bag and use it when the wind picks up later in the day. Just a thought.A jaw clip is a good idea. I don't have one but I was planning on going to Sally's this weekend to buy some hair products, I should go pick one up. :cheese:

you could try slides, bobby pins for the fringe. Maybe use a hairband, the material ones.

Or do a side french plait.

when i first read the thread title i thought you meant gas XDHAHAHA, I didn't think of it that way...

I would not cut it due to tangles.

My hair tangles easily in the wind too. I just gently brush it more often. Keep the ends well conditioned.

I do hope that you don't cut it as it looks really pretty.Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking of using a bit of coconut oil.

teela1978
April 29th, 2010, 08:41 PM
This is why I always have multiple hairsticks in my purse. If my hair is down and the wind picks up I shove it in a bun and forget about it. The bangs might cause issues though...

as for getting the tangles out, I have the most luck in the shower with loads of conditioner and a wide tooth comb.

Frying Pan Paul
April 29th, 2010, 09:32 PM
On windy days I wear a crochet hat (it is Rastafarian colours - red, green, and gold) to keep all the shorter pieces from getting damaged. Than I will either twist my length into my t-shirt or wear one braid and tuck it into my t-shirt. I feel like a matted dog when I get wind knots and they're hard to untangle. No matter how gentle I am the untangling always results in a few snapped hairs and more hair fall.

Cutting your hair won't help in this situation. If desperate, you could even where a thin scarf around your hair.

jeanniet
April 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I'm in a very windy part of the Bay Area--in summer, the mornings are calm but the wind kicks up from about 1:00 to 6:00 and where I live can be pretty wild. I'm trying to put my hair in a twist or bun (tough because my hair isn't that long yet and my bun styles are pretty limited) in the morning so I don't forget. I think I'm going to have to stash some sticks in my car just in case, and maybe get a scarf so I can work in the yard. My Ketylos just came today and it looks like they'll be a lifesaver around here. They hold so well, even in my almost/barely APL hair! :cheese:

BlueMuse
April 30th, 2010, 02:29 AM
There's this thread that talked about a no pin, no tie bun that might work in a pinch http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37134 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37134)

It has also been pretty windy around here lately and today I was wearing a vortex bun while out walking. It kept my hair nice and secure. I did get whispies, but I always get those.

Learning_Mum
April 30th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I'd probably recommend a hat (beret tpe thing) or a scarf you can tie round your hair.

Arctic_Mama
April 30th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Having lived in both San Diego AND here (Alaska) for the majority of my life, I've dealt with all sorts of extreme weather situations. In santa anas OR a snow storm I find a solid bun like a figure 8 or a braided bun really contains the hair with the least tangled. We're talking tight twist and secured like a rock.

For your bangs, I recommend clipping them back or just soaking in conditioner to ease the tangles out. Short of bunning and then head covering with a scarf that is going to yield the least snarls, in my experience.

cmnt831
April 30th, 2010, 06:37 AM
A jaw clip is a good idea. I don't have one but I was planning on going to Sally's this weekend to buy some hair products, I should go pick one up. :cheese:

Just make sure it's a giant one or your hair might not all fit in it. I find them so handy and easy I used to wear one all the time until I found this site and learned how to bun and braid. :) I still use my claw clips to put my hair up when I'm in a hurry and I know it's going to be blowing outside (which is like 75% of the time here).

Juliannaissance
May 1st, 2010, 08:34 PM
For your bangs, I recommend clipping them back or just soaking in conditioner to ease the tangles out. Short of bunning and then head covering with a scarf that is going to yield the least snarls, in my experience.Ah, the conditioner sounds like a great idea. I should try that since my hair gets really frizzed up, and the baby hairs don't look so pretty. :p

My Ketylos just came today and it looks like they'll be a lifesaver around here. They hold so well, even in my almost/barely APL hair! :cheese:Yay!!! Hairsticks are lifesavers, except lately I have been in such a hurry that I don't even have time to grab one, so I leave my hair loose resulting in loose, tangled hair...bahhh!!! I need to start using them again.

Just make sure it's a giant one or your hair might not all fit in it. I find them so handy and easy I used to wear one all the time until I found this site and learned how to bun and braid. :) I still use my claw clips to put my hair up when I'm in a hurry and I know it's going to be blowing outside (which is like 75% of the time here).Giant clip. Got it! Thanks!!! Feels so secure. :eek:

Anje
May 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM
French braids are pretty good for wind. If you've got lots of short hairs that fly out of buns (I've got a lot around my face), on really windy days it's best to contain them. Scarves and Buffs work well. So do hats, if you can keep them from flying off.

CaityBear
May 1st, 2010, 10:09 PM
I've always just put it in a bun or a braid and I've never had a problem.

When combing out tangles, I just go very gently and slowly and don't usually have much of a problem. As well, I finger comb it during the day so I get out some tangles ahead of time.

beez1717
May 2nd, 2010, 04:09 AM
Maybe on the windy days you could put your hair up? Or perhaps you could just put it into one giant braid and then hide it down the back of your shirt...

Sarahmoon
May 2nd, 2010, 05:52 AM
I put my hair in a braid or bun when it's very windy. If you can't be sure about the weather, how about taking a comb and some hair toys with you so you can put it up later? Oiling your hair will help to get the tangles out.
How come a bun doesn't work for you?