PDA

View Full Version : Washing Color Treated Hair

UP Lisa
April 29th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Wondering about your experiences with CO washing versus non-sulfate shampoo washing versus sulfate shampoo washing on color treated hair.

With which has your color lasted the longest? The shortest? Which kept your hair in the best condition?

Amraann
April 29th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I am really liking non-sulfate washing which I began about two months ago.
I think that my hair looks healthier and definitely shinier.

I just posted some pics in my album but I can't figure out how to put them in my post.

UP Lisa
April 29th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Interesting. I can get them in a post, but seem to get any in my album.

UP Lisa
April 29th, 2010, 01:05 PM
So do you use any products that build up on your hair? Do you have to clarify?

Anywhere
April 29th, 2010, 01:31 PM
When I shampooed* and conditioned I thought it faded faster. Then I went CO with a coney condish, I think it worked the best for keeping my color.
CO with a cone-free seems to make dye fade really fast for me, I put in a permanent chocolatey brown color and it's already half washed out, and its been no more than two weeks.

As for which kept it in the best condition, I'm not sure. I didn't care about the condition much back then, only about the color.

*ETA: I'm not sure if the shampoo was sulfate free or not.

naereid
April 29th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I haven't noticed much of a difference in colour between shampooing with sulfates and without them. I never notice my colour fading, and that stayed the same when I switched to SLS-free. I didn't notice an increase in shine, either. But I feel like my hair stays fresh for a little bit longer when I don't use sulfates.
Haven't tried CO yet.

Birdsong
April 29th, 2010, 02:02 PM
When I used "box" color, I noticed more fading when I used shampoo everyday vs CO or stretching out my washes. I have has better luck keeping my color with the shampoo/conditioner for color treated hair. Since I switched to henna a year ago my color lasts much longer even with regular shampooing.

UP Lisa
April 30th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Thank you all for your replies. One would think that a sulfate shampoo would cause color to fade the fastest, but maybe that's not true. And some say that the products made for colored hair aren't really any better.

FrannyG
April 30th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I CO my hair every other day, and I have almost no fade between colourings. I am currently no-cone on the top have of my hair and using cones on the bottom half of my hair, as I have damage in the lower half of my hair. I usually clarify my hair only once between root touch-ups. When I was totally no-cone, I found that the root touch-ups themselves removed buildup. I colour every 6 weeks.

Sulphate shampoos do remove hair colour more quickly, there's no question about it. In fact, if your hair colour turns out too dark, the hair colour companies recommend applying a sulphate shampoo and leaving the lather on for about 3 minutes to help fade the dye.

I've been colouring my hair for 20 years, so I really am speaking from experience.

UP Lisa
April 30th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Thank you, Franny. I actually sent you an email asking about your method for applying coconut oil to hair before coloring. I want to protect my hair from damage as much as possible.

You must use permanent color? I will be using a demi-permanent.

FrannyG
April 30th, 2010, 09:29 AM
You're welcome, UP Lisa! :) I got your email and just replied to it. Yes, I use permanent colour.

I would suggest coating your hair with coconut oil before colouring, even with a demi. You can't be too careful. The dye really works just fine with the oil.

I hope all goes well. :blossom:

naereid
April 30th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Franny, I have some questions too if you don't mind. :)

Why is coconut oil best for pre-dying treatments, because it penetrates the hair? Other oils wouldn't offer the same kind of protection?
How much coconut oil should one use; just a drop like every day, or slathered on like for a DT, or something in the middle?

UP Lisa
April 30th, 2010, 09:54 AM
You're welcome, UP Lisa! :) I got your email and just replied to it. Yes, I use permanent colour.

I would suggest coating your hair with coconut oil before colouring, even with a demi. You can't be too careful. The dye really works just fine with the oil.

I hope all goes well. :blossom:

Thanks! I'm mostly afraid that I won't get it applied properly, and that it might turn out too dark.

Amraann
April 30th, 2010, 11:47 AM
So do you use any products that build up on your hair? Do you have to clarify?

I only wash and condition. I do not use any other products in my hair so I have not found any build up. (maybe a leave in conditioner once in awhile)
I maybe clarify once a year.
I have been using Loreal Ever Strong. All I know is that it is working well for my hair.

Amraann
April 30th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Oops I forgot to mention coloring LOLOL..

I do find that my color fades but that is most likely due to the fact that I put red color on natural blond hair.
Even salon quality color fades.

UP Lisa
April 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Oops I forgot to mention coloring LOLOL..

I do find that my color fades but that is most likely due to the fact that I put red color on natural blond hair.
Even salon quality color fades.

That's what I'll be doing, also. Hoping to avoid fading as much as possible.

Amraann
April 30th, 2010, 12:59 PM
That's what I'll be doing, also. Hoping to avoid fading as much as possible.

Two things have helped prevent fading.
First I have been coloring it dark red for many years. It certainly fades less now then when I first started.
When I first dyed it (many many years ago) it literally rinsed out. You could see the red dye swirling down the drain every time I washed. (and I was using salon color)
This is an extreme worse case scenario most people do not have that happen.
The second thing that helps is that I no longer wash daily.
I only wash it once a week.
I know this is not possible for many but my hair has adapted and does not get oily or icky looking.
It did take a long time to get to this point.

When I lived in the Keys and spent a lot of time on the beach it faded more also.

FrannyG
April 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Franny, I have some questions too if you don't mind. :)

Why is coconut oil best for pre-dying treatments, because it penetrates the hair? Other oils wouldn't offer the same kind of protection?
How much coconut oil should one use; just a drop like every day, or slathered on like for a DT, or something in the middle?

Naereid, I've been using coconut oil before colouring for just over a year and a half. I started doing it after ktani began this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495&highlight=peroxide+damage), which explains why coconut oil helps to protect hair against peroxide damage. She has done extensive research and deserves all of the credit for that.

Coconut oil contains some antioxidants which other oils don't have, and no any other oil will not do.

I use enough oil to make sure that every strand is covered and leave it for a minimum of 15 minutes, but sometimes several hours. My hair definitely feels greasy all over after the application.

The oil doesn't interfere at all with the hair dye's performance at all, and I've definitely had less damage on my new growth since using it.

Do read ktani's thread. It's really interesting. Hope that helped. :)

naereid
April 30th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Thank you! :)

FrannyG
April 30th, 2010, 01:57 PM
You're very welcome! :)

justgreen
April 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I've been using L'oreal EverPure sulphate free shampoo and conditioner for over six months now. I dilute the shampoo so it is even more gentle. It is really keeping the brassiness at bay. The conditioner is wonderful, once my hair gets totally dry it feels like silk.