PDA

View Full Version : How to protect hair from sunbleaching?

MissHair
May 7th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Im traveling to Africa on the hottest day on July 20th this summer, and I dont want my hair to dry out or sunbleach, Ive got a few photos from my childhood and I had blonde hair in my photos from Italy and Greece, my hair has been bleached, coloured, highlighted and its a mixture of blonde/dark brown as you can see in my signature.

My question is, how do I avoid sunbleaching? Do I wear a scarf around my head 24/7? If I get it sunbleached Im sure it'll turn out red from the pigment and previous highlights.

lavenderblue
May 7th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I think wearing a scarf or a buff or something isn't a bad idea at all. It protects your hair and it protects you from getting to much sun too. maybe something of a light silk, feels cool to wear. I wore a silk scarf once when I was in turkey (it was 40 degrees celcius) it kept my head cool(er) ;)

<She>
May 7th, 2008, 05:14 AM
You could protect your hair with scarf, and you can cover the scalp and braid the rest of the scarf or another scarf with your hair. Or, a nice wide brimmed hat and the hair under it in a bun, or get a parasol - you'll protect your face also.
HTH

icydove
May 7th, 2008, 05:46 AM
As mentioned above, a physical block like a scarf, buff (my personal choice) or a hat is your best bet. Here is an article I did on the old LHC that has several links on protecting hair and scarf styles: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62466.

Ursula
May 7th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I suggest you wear a light, smooth scarf, to cover and protect your hair, plus a wide brimmed hat, (an open-weave straw is ideal - shade plus air circulation) to protect your face. Also get some light weight (e.g., cotton weave) loose long sleeve shirts, and long, light skirts or pants - cover your skin, to avoid sunburn and provide portable shade.

MissHair
May 7th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks very much! Very helpful.

Speedbump
May 8th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I have a hat made of SPF 50 material that works wonderfully! But having a scarf, especially a white one, would also protect your neck. If you are interested in a hat with sunblock properties, try googling "SPF 50 hat" and you will get a lot of options. Good luck! :)

embee
May 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM
For sure a wide brim hat. Bringing home a dose of future skin cancer would not be fun. Wear your hair up, it will be protected that way.

Sounds like an interesting experience ahead! Africa, wow, that is the other end of the earth from me!

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I have a hat made of SPF 50 material that works wonderfully! But having a scarf, especially a white one, would also protect your neck. If you are interested in a hat with sunblock properties, try googling "SPF 50 hat" and you will get a lot of options. Good luck! :)

I agree. Getting a nice spf hat with a scarf under it would be awesome.
Hmmm, I think I remember Girlcat's avatar having her with a pretty, wide-brimmed hat. :D

lady G
May 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Wear a wide brimmed hat in the sunshine it does protect the hair and take plenty conditioner too. Have a fantastic holiday :)

suicides_eve
May 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM
they make hari products now that have uva/uvb protection i have something from Neutragena that is call hair block or something- i found it at walmart about 2 summers ago i belive. i use to use it on my length that was showing from under the hat as i like to keep my hair down maybe you could google something along those lines?

China Cat Sunflower
May 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
You have been to Turkey!! that's awesome. I am originally from there :)

I think wearing a scarf or a buff or something isn't a bad idea at all. It protects your hair and it protects you from getting to much sun too. maybe something of a light silk, feels cool to wear. I wore a silk scarf once when I was in turkey (it was 40 degrees celcius) it kept my head cool(er) ;)

Islandgrrl
May 8th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I agree with hat and scarf protection but have something to add. When I surf or waterski or even go running or hiking and I'll be in the sun a while, I put sunscreen in my hair. I'm careful to massage it well into my scalp but I do actually coat my hair with it as well, bun it or braid it and put it up. You have to shampoo it out, but having had a sunburned scalp once or twice, I have to say, it's worth the nastiness of having sunscreen in your hair. And of course, sunscreen the heck out of your skin.

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I agree with hat and scarf protection but have something to add. When I surf or waterski or even go running or hiking and I'll be in the sun a while, I put sunscreen in my hair. I'm careful to massage it well into my scalp but I do actually coat my hair with it as well, bun it or braid it and put it up. You have to shampoo it out, but having had a sunburned scalp once or twice, I have to say, it's worth the nastiness of having sunscreen in your hair. And of course, sunscreen the heck out of your skin.

I do this as well, thought I mentioned it. so out of it. bleh
Anyway, it's really hard to find body and hair friendly stuff, but I go to the local hippie tore and get this awesome unscreen made with oatmeal and such, and use it on my hair as well.