PDA

View Full Version : A Strange Bald Story

ItalianFlower
April 29th, 2010, 01:10 AM
So I'm a Sophomore in college. I was talking to a friend today who is a Freshman (barely turned 18 this month, skipped a grade or some such). He has the baldest head I've ever seen, and today he complimented my curls (yay).

I made a joke (good-natured, I assure you), using his same compliment but about his bald head.

His response was a hesitant, "You aren't ever going to cut your hair, are you?"

I said, "No, not drastically ever again, why?"

"Well, because it might not grow back. That's what happened to me." Turns out that he did a play in his junior year of high school in which he played a bald character. Though it wasn't a requirement, he shaved his head... and it never grew back. I have known this kid all year and had noticed how pristinely he kept his bald head (never had fuzz or anything) but never really thought about it until he said something. I had a long talk with him and believe he's telling me the truth...

But can you imagine?? I mean, all of us here frequently comfort ourselves by saying "It'll grow back." But what if it just...didn't? Do you guys have any speculations on what could be up with my friend's head of no hair? He has been to a doctor and they didn't find anything "wrong" with him. The hair on his arms and legs grows just fine; this issue is confined to just his head, eg: no facial hair, unibrow, etc... it is all quite interesting.

countryhopper
April 29th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Wow! How odd!! I'm not sure whether I'd believe that at face value or not... There's no medincal issue going on there? Maybe there is and he just didn't tell you?

That would be a horrible thing to have happen, though!

Liss
April 29th, 2010, 04:46 AM
It sure is a strange story, but it does make me think more about appreciating my hair at any length, rather than just wait until it gets to waist length. I find myself wondering if something were to happen and my hair was suddenly shorter or all gone, I'm sure I'd kick myself for not appreciating it how it is right now.

manderly
April 29th, 2010, 05:04 AM
How scary!! :scared: I wonder what happened?

Maddy25
April 29th, 2010, 06:37 AM
ah! That is a scary thought!

Purdy Bear
April 29th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I think it would have to be a psychological reaction, or just a conincidence with the illness.

There are things such a grief, emotional trauma that I have read can affect the hair, but Im not sure if it would cause total baldness.

It would be interesting to see if it was Alopecia Totalis (loss of head hair) or Alopecia Univarlis (total body hair loss).

In some cases hypnotheraphy has been shown to have good results with hair loss, if I was him, Id definately check it out.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 29th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I also wonder the scientific truth behind this :/ Not that our hair can stop growing and fall out suddenly! :scared:

CandyFluff
April 29th, 2010, 07:46 AM
My dad when he was a teenager wanted to be a competitive cyclist, so shaved his legs for improved aerodynamics, and it never grew back. But his hair still grows normally on his head. I wish I'd inherited whatever genes caused it!

Animae
April 29th, 2010, 12:14 PM
In high school, one of my best friend's brothers had Alopecia Totalis, but his body hair grew ok. He ended up having us shave his whole head because he didn't like the patches and the way people made fun of him.

I saw him a few years ago and he had hair, and he was very proud of it.

I think you should tell your friend to maybe go see a new doctor.

30isthenewblack
April 30th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I worked with a guy whose friends shaved his hair as a joke and it never grew back. He was only a teenager at the time. I worked with him when he was 21. He was quite a cocky guy & I thought he handled himself quite well considering. Most men would have lost their confidence. So yes it does happen so a note to anyone out there, think twice before you play a joke like this.

ericthegreat
April 30th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I agree with Purdy Bear. Shaving your head bald alone does not prevent the future growth of your hair. Your hair will simply grow back totally new and virgin. You could totally grow all of your hair back even if you decided to shave your head now(which I hope none of you guys do!).

However, quite a few young men typically do start experiencing male pattern baldness starting from 18 to the early 20s due to increasing high levels of testosterone in their blood. Its more likely that your friend was already experiencing MPB and he would have naturally lost his hair even if he hadn't shaved his head Italianflower.

GlassEyes
April 30th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Sounds like alopecia to me more than Male Pattern Baldness. There's a transition period for MPB.

That is, of course, barring other issues. I'm not sure what I'd believe about it, but then again, I don't know your friend. Alopecia (not alopecia aerata--I forget the proper name for full alopecia) typicaly removes all hair from the body though...at least I think.