PDA

View Full Version : Lots and Lots of Braids!

eternallyverdan
April 28th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I was doing some reading this evening and wanted something to do with my hands. I also wanted to not have to deal with my hair for the next few days, so I decided to default to my no-stress style: multiple braids! I didn't do too many this time (I think I have 17), and they look a bit silly, but they're super comfy! Has anyone else ever had braids done? I've always wanted to get them done professionally, but I'm quite worried about the cost.

Excuse the gap in the middle-- I fixed it right after I took the picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/smallbraids.jpg

soobie
April 28th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Cool! It looks great!

Peter
April 28th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Incredible!

How did you tie off such small braids?

eternallyverdan
April 28th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Incredible!

How did you tie off such small braids?

Thanks! I do them with tiny no-snag rubber bands, which I cut off when I take the braids out to prevent damage. They haven't done any harm so far, and this is the 5th or 6th time that I've done these.

IcarusBride
April 28th, 2010, 11:48 PM
It looks amazing! And I'm in awe of how long your hair is even when braided! Gorgeous!~

GoddesJourney
April 28th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Wow! Did you really just shrink knee length hair to classic? The idea of *shrinking* to classic astounds me. Maybe that's just because I've not yet returned even quite to bra strap length.

As for your question, yes, they charge a lot I'm sure. The only way I've heard of people doing it cheaply is with friends or on vacation when you run into women wandering the beach that will do it for $15 or so. For you, maybe a little more.

GuinevereMay
April 28th, 2010, 11:59 PM
My hands hurt just looking at those braids! They look great!

Gumball
April 29th, 2010, 12:01 AM
That looks really fun! I haven't done them, but I trust you on the comfort. :D You're going to be fluffy when you take those out. Haha.

ArienEllariel
April 29th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Cool! :) I did something like that for fun last week.

ItalianFlower
April 29th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I've had them done. :D Oh, the girls (there were two, one on each side of my head) were fantastic, though I feel sorry for their poor fingers! Mine cost about $30, $15 for each girl... my hair was short, not too thick, and they were friends. For long, thick hair done by one braider and not two... you could look at as much as $200 if you have a not-so-cheap person, but normally you'd be in the $45-$75 range.

Oh and take care on where you go, because the longer your hair is typically the more eye-rolling and rudeness you get by the braiders. Of course, you can't really blame them for that though, even if you are paying them...

kelly-j
April 29th, 2010, 01:47 AM
wow, that looks awesome! You must post a picture after taking the braids out.

Thinthondiel
April 29th, 2010, 01:53 AM
When I was 15, I got acquainted with a girl from Somalia, and she braided my hair once. It was quite short then, but it was really thick, so she had to do a lot of braids. It took forever, and her hands hurt afterwards. I'm glad I've never attempted to do that myself.

jackiesjottings
April 29th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Looks good :) Wish I could do that many (I have thin hair)

trillcat
April 29th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Ow, ow, ow!
I just put three skinny braids in my BSL hair and my arms and hands are demanding to know why I have I have done this to them!
So the summer braid adventure ends, more power to you for having the stamina to do that!

ETA: I hope this is not very bad PC, but I feel so very white right now, I see women of color with such beautiful braids, teeny little ones, total hair envy!!! I imagine people of different cultures are looking at this thread and thinking "you silly caucasion folks" :)

LILBERT
April 29th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Cool! ;D Ive done them before i went on holiday once, so i could tuck them up under a hat and not have to wash hair so quickly in hot weather.

Maddy25
April 29th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Ever fun! It's going to look awesome when you take them out too! You must take a photo :)

heidihug
April 29th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Lovely, EV! If I did that I would have the tiniest, skinniest little braids evah, but your thick hair is really sited to multiple braids.

dame-dancealot
April 29th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I got them done, by my African-American coworker at a previous job. We spent 4+ hours putting in ~75 braids with some fake hair for extensions (which if its all fake at the ends, then the braids stay pretty well without banding). I gave her $100 and paid for the fake hair. It was totally worth it, I've actually been thinking about doing it again this summer, but I've moved and don't have the same accessibility.

Drynwhyl
April 29th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I did this once, only I had around thirty of them...(I think I have a pic in my album) I'm planning to do it again this summer, just to get my hair out of the way for a while d;
Oh and I do that myself...I just have too much time and patience on my hands :D

mellie
April 29th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Wow!! Very amazing!

shadowclaw
April 29th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Great braids! This was a popular style among my friends and I when we were in 7th and 8th grade. Zac Hanson sported the look on a regular basis back then, and being that we were completely obsessed with Hanson from age 12 to 15, we often did our hair that way and called them "braided dreads."

Of course, our hair was much much shorter than yours and much easier to do!

ravensinger13
April 29th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Love it! I haven't done that in years, might have to braid it this week.

Loreley
April 29th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Wow, it looks cool! :D

eternallyverdan
April 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I hope I start a trend here! I like them because they give me some nice scalp ventilation for when it's very warm-- I did them several times when I was living in India.

Thanks to everyone for advice on pricing-- maybe I'll get them done for a treat the next time I vacation somewhere warm, and then get that silly crimped effect when they come out.

spidermom
April 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Very nice! I do that from time to time. Unfortunately my hair is so slippy slidey that braids don't stay in very well. It feels like a waste to spend several hours braiding only to have to take them out within 48 hours because I look like a chia-pet from braid fluff.

Arctic_Mama
April 29th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I think my hands want to cramp in sympathy - I don't mind braiding little sections of hair at ALL, but on your length, and with that many braids? Owie!

Pallas
April 29th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Cool!
I've had a head full of tiny braids when I was little. Maybe even more than once... I can't really remember, but the last time I had them was when I was about 11. Complete with the fake hair so that it was super loing and deep, dark red :heart:

It was really cheap for us, because we bought cheapie fake hair (doesn't have to be too amazing quality if you braid it really tiny anyway) and my mom did put it in :)

princessp
April 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Wow, that is awesome!

Reenstellina
April 29th, 2010, 10:10 PM
That looks really nice! I did that once before myself (same reason as you pretty much) though I made pretty thin braids, and because I wanted them to be the same it took me about a week to get all my hair into braids. I think I did 42, and then my mom forced me to take them out the next day. D:

Heavenly Locks
April 30th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Tee hee, I want to bun each one. :p

ButterCream
April 30th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I just had to pop in and say an AWESOME job! You don`t only have a lot of hair it is super long too, so that had to take some time!
I love your haircolor too! Green with envy but in a GOOOD and kind way, lol:D

EtherealOde
April 30th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I do something kind of like that when I go camping, so I don't have to worry about my hair. I only do 6 or 7 though at most! If I did 17 my arms and hands would be killing me, and I don't have hair anywhere near as long as you.

:bowtome::bowtome::bowtome::bowtome:

pdy2kn6
April 30th, 2010, 01:46 PM
That looks so cool. If I did them I would then make a single english braid with them all. Your bumps would look incredible!!!

hmmm
May 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
You've inspired me to do that too! It's an awesome look, I'd love to see more pictures if other people here have done it too.

mattt
May 2nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
wow thats cool. maybe i could even do that with my nose length hair, though it might look goofy