PDA

View Full Version : Chemical head to gray transition? Possible?

Qadupae
April 28th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I just want to state right away that I am not actually graying right now, but today I was in the store buying hair dye to try and get as close to my natural hair color and realized something that should have been obvious before probably: there are no gray hair dyes.

This seemed odd to me because what if you have been dying your hair for years and know that your roots are almost 100% gray? What if you want to let that gray grow in now, but don't want to sacrifice your previously colored length? To me, it sounded like a great idea to have a range of gray colors to be able to dye your hair to in order to make the transition to your natural hair color easier, but I didn't see anything remotely close to gray there. I guess I only really noticed this because my hair is a natural ash brown and none of their boxed "ash" browns had any real ash color to them, no gray or mousiness.

Looked online even and the only brand I've found so far is called Lolane and they only have a silver gray. So are there any previous chemical heads turned gray natural? What was your transition to gray like? Anyone know of any actual gray hair dyes?

I find this topic also kind of inspirational for my mother because she's been dying her hair for years and is probably about 75-80% gray now and couldn't live with the transition stage of going natural. She might, however, like the idea of doing a gray dye, although I'm not sure if she would like the color stripping required to get all the medium brown dyes out of her hair :rolleyes:

Mods, if this topic is in the wrong section, please change it for me. I just couldn't figure out where it belonged to exactly ^_^

spidermom
April 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I've heard of people transitioning by dyeing their hair in slices or panels so that the grow-out isn't so obvious as one solid line would be. But you're right, gray isn't available. A former member used indigo, so she had a combination of either dark brown (or black), blue where the indigo dyed over white, and white. It was really cool-looking.

Qadupae
April 28th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Ooooh, I like that paneling idea ^_^ Its like doing highlights, but instead its just color that matches your already colored ends yet complimentary to your roots. Very cool ^_^

manderly
April 28th, 2010, 09:28 PM
But alas, you just don't see them in the box dyes ;)

Wella Color touch has grey colors! http://www.wellausa.com/consumer/products/color/color_touch/shade_portfolio/shades_baseline__how_to_mix_and_apply/rich_naturals/index.php

spidermom
April 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Ooooh, I like that paneling idea ^_^ Its like doing highlights, but instead its just color that matches your already colored ends yet complimentary to your roots. Very cool ^_^

I did my Punky Rose-Red in panels because I wanted to keep a lot of my own mix of silvery and golden blonde as well as the fantasy color. I've been really happy with it.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 29th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I've seen gray and white hairdye in stores here. Not sure about the brand, but when i first saw them i wondered "who would want to dye their hair gray?!" :D

LoveMyMutt
April 29th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I have a friend who had been coloring her graying hair for years, but decided to go natural. She had a professional do a mix of highlights and lowlights that blended in her gray. It was barely even noticeable growing out and now she is a natural salt-n-pepper and looks fabulous.

kwaniesiam
April 29th, 2010, 05:26 AM
It is possible! I personally have unnaturally snow white hair right now. I'm rushing to school now but I'm going to PM you when I get back tonight about the details :)

Addy
April 29th, 2010, 06:27 AM
It is possible! I personally have unnaturally snow white hair right now. I'm rushing to school now but I'm going to PM you when I get back tonight about the details :)

OOO! Can you please post a pic and/or PM me a pic? I'd love to see it if you're not comfortable posting. :)

Qadupae
May 1st, 2010, 01:56 AM
Now that I think about, I do remember seeing some iron gray dyes at the Sally Beauty Supply store the other day. I imagine that using a few different grays and some other colors close to the old dyes would blend very nicely.

kwaniesiam, would love to see pictures ^_^ Ive thought about graying my hair several times, even though I am quite young, but my original hair color is so ashy that I sometimes humor the idea of just graying it out for the heck of it. I think it would freak out my mother, or maybe even give her the confidence to let her grays grow ^_^ I can dream.