PDA

View Full Version : I didn't listen and tried to cut my own layers. Very upset now

Olivia23
April 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I posted a few days ago about wanting layers in my hair again after almost growing them out. I knew you could put a ponytail on top of your head and cut it to make layers which I did but the layers were not short enough.

I got angry because it wasn't looking like I wanted so I jst started cutting randomly. Now it looks awful. The ends are scragly and thin looking, and up top is thick and poofy and I cannot get it all into updos anymore. Now I will have to cut it all to about APL to make it look better. Even then it will not be right. I will post a pic tomorrow to show what it now looks like. I'm just so depressed. I should have listened to you guys and did the two week wait thing but I didn't.

Well the only good thing about this is now I know not to ever do it again!

Fiferstone
April 28th, 2010, 08:04 PM
:flowers:

My son chopped off the bottom layer of his hair, so I've got to take him on Sunday to get that uneven bowl-shaped disaster fixed. I told him I'd take him to get it trimmed, but no...
...ah well, live and learn.

Plain Jane
April 28th, 2010, 09:06 PM
well ..i've done something similiar luckily for us both it will definitely grow out

spidermom
April 28th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you.

SeaShell
April 28th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I've done that a bunch of times...I finally locked up the scissors because I had the urge to do that too much. but on the plus side if the scissors were sharp enough it will actually cut out a lot of damage that may have been there and it should grow & even out pretty fast, don't worry :)

ArienEllariel
April 28th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Aww I'm sorry it didn't turn out.. :o It will grow out, though I'm sure that isn't what you want to hear right now.

Yozhik
April 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
:flower: I'm sorry you're feeling bad right now. Maybe things will look better by the light of day.

Be comforted that it will grow out!

When I was younger I fell asleep with gum in my mouth, then ended up having to cut a huge chunk of hair out from the top of my head. It stuck out strangely for a while, but then just blended back in. :silly:

little_cherry
April 28th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Awww :flower:

Wash your hair and see how it look after you fluff it up and dry it. It may look different.

Peter
April 28th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Well the only good thing about this is now I know not to ever do it again!
That's basically it! I've done it myself a few times, and I think a lot of others here have as well. I definitely understand the frustration but it will grow back. :) :flower:

julliams
April 28th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I did the same thing once and it got out of hand. I took myself off to a salon and got a hairdresser to even it out as best they could without removing length.

joyinc
April 28th, 2010, 09:32 PM
oh dear... i was just about to try that method!

joiekimochi
April 28th, 2010, 09:35 PM
It will grow out and blend into you hair! Back when I had bangs, I once got lazy and decided to gather it all into a little ponytail and cut off the ends. I ended up with a diagonal fringe, starting from my right eyebrow and ending an inch above my left brow. My brother gave me the stupid suggestion of making the whole thing straight, so in the end I had the dumbest looking microfringe which made my short oval face look completely round. When my dad got back he went, "Oh no, I have the village idiot in my house!"

I don't suggest cutting to APL unless you managed to make your hair look like a scraggly mushroom mullet. Keep your length, and let the layers grow out.

Olivia23
April 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Joyinc - it did work at first when I put it in a ponytail on top of my head and I pulled my ponytail forward and cut straight across. It gave me long layers, but I wanted shorter layers so I just started cutting off random sections. Now I'm paying the price. Short layers do not look good on people who have wavy, thick, poofy hair lol.

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone, and I will post pics tomorrow. I don't want to cut to apl, but I lost quite a bit of length last night when I did it.

JamieLeigh
April 29th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Wow, I'm so sorry that happened! Back before I had a good self-trim method, I spent a couple of mad-at-myself-nights after getting one side shorter than the other...and ending up with a good 3" chop after trying to "fix" it. I'm so happy to be here on LHC for some guidance in the self-trimming......and I'm happy that you are here as well to benefit fom the community support. Believe it or not, most of us have done something along the same lines, just out of impatience! :flower:

Flynn
April 29th, 2010, 12:35 AM
You probably feel it's worse than it really is because it's on your own head. Let's have a look at those pictures tomorrow, hey...?

bubbles_87
April 29th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Oh honey I understand what you are going through. I did the exact same thing but instead of cutting mine straight I kept layering it and then I would layer it every few months and my hair looked so thin I decided to finally cut it one length up to my neck! ugh im so dumb. I guess if we really want a nice cut we should just leave it to the professionals.

evampr18
April 29th, 2010, 01:05 AM
hide the scissors, run!!!! i made an oath to not cut my hair for two years and im sticking to it. i keep looking at pictures of women with beautiful long hair, mostly on this forum (lol) ...but dont cut APL, itll just further your mistake and regret. and none of us want you to be sad... <3

Oskimosa
April 29th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Ooohhh so sorry... >_< Maybe a good stylist can shape it up and make it blend, you may still be ok! It is probably not as bad as you think. Often, my hair goes into "shock" when I first cut it. After 2 days the wave seems to reset itself.

I did that method and I wasn't sure about it at first, but set down the scissors and gave it a couple of days. The scissors weren't going to go anywhere. It settled fine. My wonky growing out layers are MUCH better blended now. Point is: maybe your hair will behave similarly. I know you're frustrated now, but seriously, see a good stylist first!!

Flynn
April 29th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Ooohhh so sorry... >_< Maybe a good stylist can shape it up and make it blend, you may still be ok! It is probably not as bad as you think. Often, my hair goes into "shock" when I first cut it. After 2 days the wave seems to reset itself.

Oh, yeah. This. It goes "BOOM!" at first, but then usually after two or three washes (I wish it was two days!) it settles in.

joyinc
April 29th, 2010, 01:49 AM
i might try it anyhow... i just want a little shape at the bottom anyhow... i dont know... i want to go to a stylist, but they scare me... at least i know if i mess it up i have a good stylist out of town who can fix it up!

how good really is this method of doing it upside down?
i've been watching tons of youtube videos and they all come out looking so nice!

joyinc
April 29th, 2010, 02:12 AM
i spent a whole night watching videos like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRJOEGupehs&playnext_from=TL&videos=lxfNMKWO6UQ

it makes me want to give it a try, cause my biggest complaint about my long hair is that i feel like cousin it... it just hangs :(

i'd love a style like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/joyinc/mimi/7718_1172335361381_1617933053_47591.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/joyinc/mimi/7718_1173745276628_1617933053_48046.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/joyinc/mimi/untitled.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/joyinc/mimi/4280_1097460411083_1663803349_21533.jpg

do you think that method would do that?

Oskimosa
April 29th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Sorry for the thread hijack here, but it works really well, if the end product they show is what you're going for. OP was looking for more variation in length for her layers. I just wanted my hair to blend better! I'd volunteer that I won't soon be back in a salon, now that I know I can do it on my own! Just listen to her advice. Take it SLOW. Don't panic, and definitely don't go freestyle as OP found out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMyJ-LR8so

I did like 12 "practice runs" without ACTUALLY cutting. I bet you could.... like... dip the ends in something to preview where you're cutting, if you tried. I think I ended up taking like 1 1/2" off the layers and 1/2" off the bottom. I did those in two separate steps. I did Feye's method on the bottom layer and the vid on the upper layers.

ETA: Didn't see your last post. I do NOT think the video I sent you would do that, there are way more layers in what I sent you. I will have to look over the one you posted...

joyinc
April 29th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Sorry for the thread hijack here, but it works really well, if the end product they show is what you're going for. OP was looking for more variation in length for her layers. I just wanted my hair to blend better! I'd volunteer that I won't soon be back in a salon, now that I know I can do it on my own! Just listen to her advice. Take it SLOW. Don't panic, and definitely don't go freestyle as OP found out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMyJ-LR8so

I did like 12 "practice runs" without ACTUALLY cutting. I bet you could.... like... dip the ends in something to preview where you're cutting, if you tried. I think I ended up taking like 1 1/2" off the layers and 1/2" off the bottom. I did those in two separate steps. I did Feye's method on the bottom layer and the vid on the upper layers.

ETA: Didn't see your last post. I do NOT think the video I sent you would do that, there are way more layers in what I sent you. I will have to look over the one you posted...hmmmm i saw that one too... they dont seem that different?

p.s. what'd you dip your ends in to preview it?

Oskimosa
April 29th, 2010, 02:30 AM
hmmmm i saw that one too... they dont seem that different?

p.s. what'd you dip your ends in to preview it?

I didn't actually do it, because I didn't have anything to use. I wanted to use baking soda or chalk. I bet it would work well. I ended up closing my eyes (momentarily) and just making myself do it. I knew I needed to and could, it just scared the crap out of me :lol:

Dreams_in_Pink
April 29th, 2010, 02:32 AM
NO no no please don't chop it back to APL!! :( You'll regret that more! I say, go to a trusted salon and ask them to correct your layers. It might help you keep your length.

nayver
April 29th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Sorry :( Layers are very tricky, and I've made the same mistake many times in the past. Why don't you try the two week rule? Wait, wear the hair up all the time, take good care of it, and maybe, after this period, you won't feel the need of a big chop.

Liss
April 29th, 2010, 03:09 AM
NO no no please don't chop it back to APL!! :( You'll regret that more! I say, go to a trusted salon and ask them to correct your layers. It might help you keep your length.

I agree, but make sure the salon is completely aware that you intend to grow long.

Two years ago I cut some face framing layers into my hair and I was really pleased with the result. At least until I saw a photo of myself and thought I looked a bit strange. I mentioned it to a friend who said "yeah, because your hair is all wonky and looks self cut"!!! That comment sent me straight to a salon where I thought I made it perfectly clear that I just wanted the ends neatened, but they chopped it all from APL up to my shoulder.

So, make sure the salon is absolutely aware of your intention to grow long. Just think - at least your ends will be really healthy. (trying to think positive)

blondecat
April 29th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Not quite OT but, How do you cut layers into long hair ??

You Tube does not work on my PC, so if someone can describ this in words. That would be nice :)

moominhapa
April 29th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Aww, I'm sure it's not as bad as it feels! I had something similar happen to me with bangs once, even though I got them professionally cut, and they took forever to grow out, so I feel your pain. After a couple of weeks of wearing it up, if you still feel this bad, maybe a good stylist can fix it up. Cheer up!:flower:

Olivia23
April 29th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Ok here is a pic of my layers :oops: You can compare it the way my hair used to look in my siggy photo.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/wnddyer/Hair/Layers.jpg

BTW joyinc, that is how I did it at first using that youtube video along with other vids I watched and it looked good, but I wanted shorter layers so I started cutting it with my hair down. I just cut the sides and as you can see my left side is all wonky looking now. I will have to fix it!

blondecat - The way you cut layers is to put your hair in a ponytail, then cut the bottom of the ponytail straight across. Depending where you put the ponytail is how short your layers will be. I put my ponytail on top of my head ( made sure all the hair was brushed into ponytail evenly ), then I pulled my ponytail forward over my forehead and cut straight across. It gave me long layers that looked good but I kept cutting at my sides while my hair was down that's why it's now uneven.

Maddy25
April 29th, 2010, 06:42 AM
aw it's ok :flower:

I'm sure it's not that bad at all and you learned an important lesson through it hehe. I used to cut my own hair all the time too...never turned out right either!

Fiferstone
April 29th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Hey Olivia23, it doesn't look obviously self-cut, at least not to me. Since you pointed out the discrepancy I can see it, but what I'd do is I'd ponytail it so the discrepancy is less noticeable, and I would definitely take myself to a salon (if you have a friend with a similar hair texture to yours whose hair you admire, ask who does their hair for them), let them know what you were attempting to do, tell them you are trying to grow it, and ask them to correct your mistakes while removing as little of your length as humanly possible.

To my eyes, it's really not that bad looking, it will be a pain for a while especially since the layers won't stay put when you do up-dos, but it doesn't look bad.

My son's lopsided bowl cut, however...:shudder:.

SimplyViki
April 29th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Aw, say, you know what? It really doesn't look bad at all, to me. I rather like the deep V shape you've got going on now, and the layers really add some visual texture, if that makes any sense. I think a salon would be able to fix that right up for you, if you wanted it evened out a bit. Now you know, though - no random cutting!

TiaKitty
April 29th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hey, for what my opinion's worth, I don't think that looks bad, at all! I like how it defines your curlies a bit more!

I'd not panic and just go with it for the time being... unless it's really unbearable. Getting it cut more won't give you the ability to put it up, so why not just wait until you can put it up and see if you still hate it!

Olivia23
April 29th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Thanks you guys LOL. I have learned my lesson! I did trim the ends a little more this morning so I think it looks a little better. Anyway, I wear my hair up all the time so it won't be as obvious. Now the only problem is updos! My hair wants to fall out of them so I will have to use more clips to hold it in.

Here is a pic of my trimmed ends. Now I need to wash it and see how it looks.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/wnddyer/Hair/today.jpg

lapushka
April 29th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I posted a few days ago about wanting layers in my hair again after almost growing them out. I knew you could put a ponytail on top of your head and cut it to make layers which I did but the layers were not short enough.

I'm so sorry this happened to you!

For the ponytail method to work properly, you should determine how short you want the shortest layer first. To do that, you take a tiny section of your hair (a small chunk right next to a middle parting), slide your fingers down the length to where you want it cut, then pinch it, bring it up to the top of your head and then you'll know where to cut that ponytail (and NO further or you'll end up with shorter layers). The shortest layers with this method are the layers that are on your canopy, so that's why you actually measure it this way before cutting.

I also agree with the person that said, wash and style it first. After a haircut, hair will move differently, esp. when it's cut much shorter.

Dani
April 29th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Your hair looks wonderful now, good job fixing it up! Just keep on growing from here, or whatever you feel like doing. Your waves look great, and that's exactly how I want my hair to look when it's long again (I love blunts ends, but I'm partial to imperfection too, because it adds character and life to things... and for our wavy hair layers do look really good). But you've got one gorgeous head of hair today. :D

Liss
April 29th, 2010, 07:40 AM
It really isn't so bad! Only because I had read that you made an error with cutting, could I actually see where the error is. Your waves hide it easily enough to look perfectly fine, although I can understand the urge to get the layers neatened. Afterall, when trying to grow long, any cut needs to look great in order to not feel like you're going backwards.

Aquamarine
April 29th, 2010, 07:47 AM
ohh I'm sorry it didn't turn out right. But first let me tell you that your hair doesn't look as bad it as you think it does! Believe me! Anyways, don't worry, it's hair ---it will grow!:)

Themyst
April 29th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I hacked up my hair before. Then I tried to mask any mistakes by using mousse and hairspray. I went to a cattle call for a major cosmetic company, and when it was my turn to audition, the guy exclaimed with shock and horror, "Who did this to your hair?!" So, I've never done anything like that since. Thank goodness for brutal honesty. Who knows how long I would have walked around thinking it looked alright. :rolleyes:

But, your pic doesn't look bad, really.

Sheltie_Momma
April 29th, 2010, 08:02 AM
OK, I'm going to just say this and probably people will come up with 100 examples where it isn't true - but I, myself, just me, presonally, feel that some hair types lend themselves to self cutting and some don't. I think for my hair type and those close to it, self cutting is hard. You have to take tiny sections when you have really thick hair, the Feye method and the pony tail method, in my personal opinion, do not take small enough sections to end up right on thick hair. Imagine this - you are cutting through a stack of newspaper - if it is three sheets thick then you can cut it fairly straight with minimal effort. When it is 20 sheets thick and you cut in one swipe - then some edges are closer to the scissor blades than others - you kind of hack a little and the edges are slanted some. My hair is just straight enough to show every single scissor mark but just wavy enough that the person has to know that the top layers will shrink like crazy and to compensate for that when cutting them in. And then it is thick - so the stylist has to make many many sections, cut them, and then put it all back down and go back over it for blending. I know there's not enough u-tube videos on earth to make me feel confident enough to do all that myself (although I admire and respect all those here that are skilled and brave to do it!)
From your picture our hair is pretty similar in texture - I'm being honest, I would go let someone make a few corrections. Not because it looks horrible - is doesn't, but just because I think a little minor corrections would make a huge difference.

Sylvanas
April 29th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Olivia, I honestly don't think your hair looks bad at all! The layers look great on you, and if you give it a couple of weeks, the layers should blend in really well with the rest of your hair. When it's just been cut the ends can look very blunt, but it will blend if you only give it some time. After your second trim I think your hair looks just about perfect :)

joiekimochi
April 29th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Your hair actually looks pretty good!

countryhopper
April 29th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Olivia23, can I be honest? :)

I like your picture much more AFTER the trim than before!! Your waves are much more bouncy and make me want to reach out and pull one to see if it will bounce back! I know that wavy/curlies HATE that kind of thing that people try to do, but to us poor straighties, waves and curls are so BEAUTIFUL!! YOURS INCLUDED!! :D

JenniferNoel
April 29th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Olivia23, can I be honest? :)

I like your picture much more AFTER the trim than before!! Your waves are much more bouncy and make me want to reach out and pull one to see if it will bounce back! I know that wavy/curlies HATE that kind of thing that people try to do, but to us poor straighties, waves and curls are so BEAUTIFUL!! YOURS INCLUDED!! :D

Guess what. I second that!
Your hair has so much more dimension now in the after pictures. I like layers. I do believe the bouncy-curliness is worth the "thinner" hemline (which isn't actually all that thin). I trim my hair to look like that intentionally (I'm at BSL :p). So enjoy it! :)

Alia
April 29th, 2010, 09:09 AM
That isn't so bad! I was picturing something really scary :silly: . Definitely do go to a trusted salon and have them even it out a little, if it is really bothering you. And hide the scissors...;)

FrannyG
April 29th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Olivia, I just saw the photo of your hair after this morning's trim. I think it looks very pretty. It may be more V-shaped than you want, but I don't think it looks unusual in any way.

I hope you know that there are very few of us here at LHC who haven't done something or another to our hair that we regret doing. One lives and learns, and I must tell you that your hair didn't turn out anything like I imagined after only reading your first post.

Don't cut any more off, is my advice. It looks great. :blossom:

joyinc
April 29th, 2010, 09:23 AM
ohmigosh! your after pic is what i want! lol

i think it looks great!

any change sometimes just takes getting used to,.. i cut my own bangs a while ago and i hated them, but now that they are longer, i'm really liking them :)

i think your hair looks beautiful :)

Peter
April 29th, 2010, 09:48 AM
... Actually, I kinda like your hemline. The V-shape is cool and it doesn't look uneven or anything. :)

Amraann
April 29th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I really like the way it came out.

You fixed it just fine and the bounce looks nice.

nayver
April 29th, 2010, 10:23 AM
It looks great now!!!

spidermom
April 29th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Now listen to your elders: Definitely wait 2 weeks before you decide if you need a stylist to finish evening things up for you. I like the layers better than I liked the before picture, and I don't think much tweaking (if any) needs to be done to bring out their best.

LaurelSpring
April 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I have done this so many times. It took quite a few self trim goof ups to stop being so impulsive with my hair. It only takes a few minutes to really mess things up and then forever for it to grow back!

Your new haircut doesnt look bad but I can see where it would bug you, especially if updos arent working. I wouldnt go get it cut to apl. That will just make you more sad. What I would probably do is just go get some minimal evening up. If you still want the layers, then you can have the stylist cut them in. I would go online and get lots of pictures of the sort of layers I wanted and take that with me.

If you have decided against layers now, then get some minimal evening up done and then just start doing bottom dustings if you want to grow out the layers. It has taken me years to grow out my last layer binge and Im still a good long ways away from one length. For my hair type it seems that layers and long length just dont go together. Layers worked ok for me when my hair was apl and I curled it every day. I had tons of damage for that though. I am much happier with my hair now.

*thecatsmeow*
April 29th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I think the layers look great! Once you get used to the new look you might even like it better with layers (besides updo's will be harder to pull off) I give myself trims and cut layers into my hair and I just have to say once you get used to it, its really not that bad. But beware because it can become addicting ;) I know I have to lay off the scissors some times.

Miss Misha
April 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Let me join the chorus and tell you I think your layers look fine. I'd definitely not cut back to APL.

MAO
April 29th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Oh, I'm sorry you didn't like your results:flowers:
I've personally jacked up my hair plenty of times!

PurpleAshes
April 29th, 2010, 11:48 AM
To be honest, I love the way it looks on you. I think it makes your waves look better than a straight hemline. If you feel uncomfortable, you should go to a salon, but if it was me, I'd leave it like that.

joyinc
April 29th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I just tried the same method... i definitely had to clean things up in the front... didnt turn out terrible, but i think i'll be sticking with the pros!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/joyinc/hair/layers003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/joyinc/hair/layers008.jpg

lapushka
April 29th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I just tried the same method... i definitely had to clean things up in the front... didnt turn out terrible, but i think i'll be sticking with the pros!

It's beautifully done!

I've used this method for quite some time, although I've been growing the layers out for a number of months now just to see what that's like.

Oskimosa
April 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM
*pictures snipped for etiquette*

HOLY MOLY how did you manage with that much hair...?? I had a terrible time getting my barely waist-length hair straight. Hats off to you!

Olivia, I'm going to go ahead and say it cause I hardly ever get to: TOLD YA SO. It's not as bad as you think, your hair has settled, and really only needs some minor tweaking. You're just in shock. If I were you, I'd wait a bit, then go back and redo the ponytail method.

lapushka
April 29th, 2010, 12:45 PM
HOLY MOLY how did you manage with that much hair...?? I had a terrible time getting my barely waist-length hair straight. Hats off to you!

I'm a iii too, and I get someone to cut it for me. For the layers, the ponytail's divided into 3 sections and those are then cut. For Feye's method (also a ponytail method): same thing. And some good sharp scissors do wonders too!

PrincessTieflin
April 29th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I like the after as well, I was picturing it chopped ;)

I love V hemlines (on everyone but me, blunt works better with my curls)

I would leave it be, put it up it will grow and blend all in good time :)

(( When I was a stylist people always wanted it to look like that. ;)))

joyinc
April 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM

lol... i cant imagine doing it with shorter hair... with long hair i can just flip my head upside down and keep brushing until its perfect, then grab it and pull the ends up close to me... one you get it in your hand right, you pull it closer and snip!

i totally have to fix up the front still lol

p.s. sorry for hijacking your thread! i was just excited about doing the same thing :)

Capybara
April 29th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Awh :flower:

...To be honest, I like the layers! You did a much better job than I would have :p !

Fractalsofhair
April 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Can you braid your hair? That might work better than an updo to hide a bad haircut. And look on the bright side, stylists often do worse jobs, and they get paid to style hair! (Once, I got a mullet from a stylist. I realize now it was the same cut one of my guy friends had. He also went to her for hair dye to tone down his naturally brassy hair. He ended up with blue black hair. I should I have known then that she wasn't the best stylist... xD)

Deb!
April 29th, 2010, 03:32 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/joyinc/hair/layers003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/joyinc/hair/layers008.jpg

Your hair is gorgeous!

Arctic_Mama
April 29th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Well I'm sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way, but look on the bright side - hair grows back :)

You'll be okay, just resist all scissoring urges in the near future!

Arctic_Mama
April 29th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks you guys LOL. I have learned my lesson! I did trim the ends a little more this morning so I think it looks a little better. Anyway, I wear my hair up all the time so it won't be as obvious. Now the only problem is updos! My hair wants to fall out of them so I will have to use more clips to hold it in.

See now, I was picturing something horrid - this looks lovely! Not at all self cut. Do NOT trim back to APL unless that is the length YOU want it at, because it looks fine the way it is. I agree that braids are probably a better idea for a few more inches than updos, but that is the case with ALL layers, dramatic and self cut or not. Don't be so hard on yourself :flower:

Flynn
April 29th, 2010, 05:38 PM

You know what? I think it looks great. I actually like it better than your sig pic, personally.

Olivia23
April 30th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Okay I hate to post again to add to my thread lol but I just had to post pics of my hair today. Last night I washed my hair and went to bed with it wet. I just flipped it over my pillow. This morning when I got up it looked like this
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/wnddyer/Hair/today048.jpg

Then I had to go to work for 12 hours and we have to wear our hair up at work. I had it in a french twist (not been able to do that style for a while do to my hair thickness, layering it thinned it), and when I came home and took out my hair fork this is what it looked like
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/wnddyer/Hair/today049.jpg
so I am a lot happier today with my hair than I was yesterday. As a matter of fact I'm loving my wavy curls again!!!:cheese:

jaine
April 30th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Okay I hate to post again to add to my thread lol but I just had to post pics of my hair today. Last night I washed my hair and went to bed with it wet. I just flipped it over my pillow. This morning when I got up it looked like this

Then I had to go to work for 12 hours and we have to wear our hair up at work. I had it in a french twist (not been able to do that style for a while do to my hair thickness, layering it thinned it), and when I came home and took out my hair fork this is what it looked like
so I am a lot happier today with my hair than I was yesterday. As a matter of fact I'm loving my wavy curls again!!!:cheese:

I agree, it's gorgeous! The shape is very flattering on you and the waves look so pretty! I like it much better than the before pics :)

pinchbeck
April 30th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I think you'll get quite a few responses where people have done the same thing - including myself. Last summer I went a little nuts with the front pieces of my hair and cut about six inches off and tried to have the front sit on an angle. I thought I knew what I was doing, but the rest of my hair should have been layered slightly to blend in with the front.

After a few months passed I couldn't stand it anymore and ended up cutting off quite a bit of length so the front pieces would catch up with the back (also my family was bugging me about my hair). I had my hemline fixed up by a stylist.

I feel for you. If I were in your position I would go to a stylist to have my hair rectified (I always do this when I mess up and feel better).

When the shape of your hair looks good you'll feel good and your hair will look good as it continues to grow!

Flynn
April 30th, 2010, 07:49 PM

Look at that! It's fantastic!

You did a teriffic job. Sometimes it just takes a wash and a couple of days for it to settle to really see how a cut looks.

Amraann
April 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM

It looks sooo pretty!!!!

I do not think this is a bad hair story at all. The waves/curls are just lovely!

joyinc
April 30th, 2010, 11:23 PM
wow! i love it! you did an amazing job!

Vanilla Mint
April 30th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Wow, since you have your naturally wavy texture concealing the fact that it was self-trimmed, I really don't see a reason to get much corrected. It looks good to me. If it were mostly straight hair like mine, I've been there, and self-layering can be pretty horrid, but if you never wear your hair pin straight I don't think it matters.

Vanilla Mint
April 30th, 2010, 11:55 PM
lol, I just saw your final post and it still looks gorgeous. I am so envious of your texture~

Unofficial_Rose
May 1st, 2010, 12:44 AM
Agreed! If I woke up and my hair looked like that, I would be beside myself with delight.*

*Some of us have just done the opposite of what you did - i.e. cut off a couple of inches of layering - and now have a particularly frumpy bob. :(

eadwine
May 1st, 2010, 04:46 AM
I am so sorry you did this to yourself, but at least you learned a lesson ;)

And it doesn't look bad at all in my opinion. :)