PDA

View Full Version : Silver hair care differences; advice?

MariaAZ
April 28th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I quit coloring my hair about 3-4 years ago and, after a big trim this past Dec. 31, now have nothing but my own, unadorned color. Which is about 50% or more gray.

I realized awhile ago that the ends were much yellower than the hair at the scalp. I tried (and still love) Pantene's Silver Expressions line, which did a marvelous job brightening up the root area, but it was still obvious when putting my hair in a bun that the ends were definitely dingier.

Recently I've concluded that the routine I've been using for the past 6 years isn't quite working anymore. It's pretty much the basic stuff; shampoo scalp only while letting the suds clean the length by just flowing down, and then condition only from the ears down to avoid the scalp.

I tried an experiment; I (gasp) lathered the entire length and let it go without conditioner for a few washings. Lo and behold, the yellowness almost went away completely. It struck me that the yellowing happens pretty much where I condition, ie from ears down.

I tried conditioning the ends and rinsing really, really well but that did nothing to tame the ends. Anyone have any suggestions for what I can use that will control the frizzies without yellowing my hair?

Fractalsofhair
April 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Try a lighter conditioner, or a different one.

Carolyn
April 28th, 2010, 07:01 PM
How about one of the blue/violet conditioners? Aveda makes Blue Malva and Sallys carries one that's called something like Shiny Silver. Blonde use them to combat brassiness.

luluj
April 28th, 2010, 07:04 PM
This is a great site goinggraylookinggreat.com and it has oodles of info on silver hair, check it out!

Oh, when you log on to GGLG be sure to click on "Care and Treatment" on the top of the homepage, there is a lot of info there.

http://www.goinggraylookinggreat.com.