PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins Stopping Hair Growth

Jen123
April 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I recently started taking a bunch of vitamins and supplements for my constant sinus infections and out of this world allergies. Antihistamines and decongestants just were not working, so I went on a desperate search for anything that would help. I've been doing this for about a month and it is helping in more than one way I think.

For years I've been sprouting dark thick bristly quick growing hairs on my chin. It started with one and then I ended up with four. Every few days they would be about 4 mm sticking out even after being plucked! BUT since I started the vitamin regimen they have not been growing at all. And I don't see the dark spots under the skin where they erupt from.

I'm pretty sure the hair on my head is still growing. (I hope).

I'm taking so many, I'm not sure which one it could be. But I have a suspicion it is the vitamin C.
Has anyone else had this happen?

little_cherry
April 28th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Hair growth is usually link to hormones..I'm suspecting something that you're taking has regulated your hormones.

That's great news, though :thumbsup:

What supplements are you taking?

Jen123
April 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Please don't laugh or gasp, but I am taking a ton. I'm desperate to avoid sinus surgery two different doctors said I must have. My friend has had the same thing done six times and she is still having the same problem. You know doctor's always have the same answer--if it's not working, cut it out. Besides how is cutting my sinuses up fix my allergic rhinitis. I think I should do everything to heal myself first.

This is what I'm taking:
A Vogel Allergy Drops (Natural- and I have not had to take my antihistamines for a month)
Enzymes
Acidopholis
Ginger
Curcumin
Garlic
Air Power (Guiefsen)
b12
Yeast Clense by Solaray
Vit C 1000mg four times a day
Querectin
Good Multivitamin
Licorice and Marshmallow (I think I'll stop these when they run out)
Vit E
Vit D3
Primrose Oil

Almost all of these are taken multiple times a day. It sure helps to make sure I drink all of my water (plus a ton). I'm sure the change in my chin whiskers is from something I'm taking.

As far as my allergies, I really think I'm on the right track. I feel so much better. I'd almost say 70percent better in about thirty days. The doctor's and all of their garbage NEVER helped me this much in the last two years. Of course it is in their best interest not to heal, but to do surgery for the big bucks.

I know this is not related to my chin whiskers, but a couple of other things I'm doing are to rinse with a neti pot three times a day. I use sea salt, baking soda, Xylitol and Sodium Ascorbate. I'm also taking a teaspoon of local raw unfiltered, unpasturized honey every day to build my tolerance to allergens.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. But I'm happy to finally be getting somewhere and getting extra benefits at the same time.:D

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 06:20 PM
It's not the vitamin C.

I think you're just taking so much junk that you're body doesn't know what to do with it, lol.
Just kidding.

Flynn
April 29th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Please don't laugh or gasp, but I am taking a ton. I'm desperate to avoid sinus surgery two different doctors said I must have. My friend has had the same thing done six times and she is still having the same problem. You know doctor's always have the same answer--if it's not working, cut it out. Besides how is cutting my sinuses up fix my allergic rhinitis. I think I should do everything to heal myself first.

This is what I'm taking:
A Vogel Allergy Drops (Natural- and I have not had to take my antihistamines for a month)
Enzymes
Acidopholis
Ginger
Curcumin
Garlic
Air Power (Guiefsen)
b12
Yeast Clense by Solaray
Vit C 1000mg four times a day
Querectin
Good Multivitamin
Licorice and Marshmallow (I think I'll stop these when they run out)
Vit E
Vit D3
Primrose Oil

Almost all of these are taken multiple times a day. It sure helps to make sure I drink all of my water (plus a ton). I'm sure the change in my chin whiskers is from something I'm taking.

As far as my allergies, I really think I'm on the right track. I feel so much better. I'd almost say 70percent better in about thirty days. The doctor's and all of their garbage NEVER helped me this much in the last two years. Of course it is in their best interest not to heal, but to do surgery for the big bucks.

I know this is not related to my chin whiskers, but a couple of other things I'm doing are to rinse with a neti pot three times a day. I use sea salt, baking soda, Xylitol and Sodium Ascorbate. I'm also taking a teaspoon of local raw unfiltered, unpasturized honey every day to build my tolerance to allergens.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. But I'm happy to finally be getting somewhere and getting extra benefits at the same time.:D

Little tip: check that you're not doubling up with what you're taking and what's in the multivit. Multivitamins tend to have at or above the recommended daily level of most of the things chucked into them, and you may be doing yourself harm by taking more in addition, and also by taking some of these things more than once a day. Just have a quick squiz on the internet and see what various health authorities are recommending as safe limits on these vitamins. (Y'know, personally, I'd drop the multivit, start taking a low level zinc supplement -- zinc and iron uptake conflict, with zinc being taken up preferentially, so a little zinc goes a long way and a lot of zinc gives you iron deficiency, and play the rest by ear. I'd also lower that vit. C supplement, as overdoing it can really strain your kidneys, and anyway, that idea that super high doses of vit. C helps with colds and 'flu has been disproven.)

Incidentally, my brother had the same problem as you: chronic sinus infections which antibiotics and surgery weren't clearing, and ongoing rhinitis which wasn't responding to claratine. He got back to healthy using olive leaf capsules, a low-level zinc supplement and saline sinus rinses only.

I also know where you are at with this, as I've been there, too. I find saline sinus rinses and the very occasional round of antibiotics do the trick for me, though... (and starting the sinus rinses has meant that the surgery I was meant to have about six years ago has now been postponed indefinitely), but I really understand that they don't always work!

Hana
April 29th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Little tip: check that you're not doubling up with what you're taking and what's in the multivit. Multivitamins tend to have at or above the recommended daily level of most of the things chucked into them, and you may be doing yourself harm by taking more in addition, and also by taking some of these things more than once a day. Just have a quick squiz on the internet and see what various health authorities are recommending as safe limits on these vitamins.

correct me if im wrong here, but i was of the opinion that above the 100% rda of vitamins, the liver filters out the excess, and you just pee out what you dont need?
unless you are taking what is effectively an overdose, causing organ failure, but i should imagine that is an extreme scenario.

:confused:

Flynn
April 29th, 2010, 07:01 PM
correct me if im wrong here, but i was of the opinion that above the 100% rda of vitamins, the liver filters out the excess, and you just pee out what you dont need?
unless you are taking what is effectively an overdose, causing organ failure, but i should imagine that is an extreme scenario.

:confused:

Depends on the vitamin. Your kidneys and liver can filter out a lot of them, particularly the very water-soluble ones. B-vitamins, for instance, you can pretty well take to your heart's content without doing yourself much harm. So, if you take more than you need, they're coming straight back out in your urine, and you've wasted your money.

However, some vitamins (vit. A being a classic example. It is very easy to "overdose" on vit. A.) are not processed and excreted efficiently at all, and can do you a LOT of harm if you take too much.

In between these are vitamins that are processed and excreted, but for which it is a strain to do so. Vit. C just falls into this category; it seems to be bad for your kidneys to take far, far too much. Admittedly, you do have to take a lot of it for that to happen. If you drink commercial orange juice, which is usually fortified with vit. C, you're probably getting 300%-500% of your vit. C RDI over the course of the day, without doing yourself any harm. Also without doing yourself any help, but still. A harmful level is obtainable by using supplements, so you should take care.

And then there is the issue of competitive uptake: if you take too much zinc, for example, your body is too busy uptaking the zinc to pick up iron, and you become iron deficient.

By taking more than the RDI, you are taking what is -- literally -- an overdose. You're taking too much. What harm -- if any -- this does to you depends on the specific vitamin.

So, short answer: definitely yes for some, sort of for others, VERY VERY NO for others still, and "it's complicated" for some other ones.

Not all vitamins are created equal.

Hana
April 29th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Depends on the vitamin. Your kidneys and liver can filter out a lot of them, particularly the very water-soluble ones. B-vitamins, for instance, you can pretty well take to your heart's content without doing yourself much harm. So, if you take more than you need, they're coming straight back out in your urine, and you've wasted your money.

However, some vitamins (vit. A being a classic example. It is very easy to "overdose" on vit. A.) are not processed and excreted efficiently at all, and can do you a LOT of harm if you take too much.

In between these are vitamins that are processed and excreted, but for which it is a strain to do so. Vit. C just falls into this category; it seems to be bad for your kidneys to take far, far too much. Admittedly, you do have to take a lot of it for that to happen. If you drink commercial orange juice, which is usually fortified with vit. C, you're probably getting 300%-500% of your vit. C RDI over the course of the day, without doing yourself any harm. Also without doing yourself any help, but still. A harmful level is obtainable by using supplements, so you should take care.

And then there is the issue of competitive uptake: if you take too much zinc, for example, your body is too busy uptaking the zinc to pick up iron, and you become iron deficient.

By taking more than the RDI, you are taking what is -- literally -- an overdose. You're taking too much. What harm -- if any -- this does to you depends on the specific vitamin.

So, short answer: definitely yes for some, sort of for others, VERY VERY NO for others still, and "it's complicated" for some other ones.

Not all vitamins are created equal.

AH. ok, thanks for clearing that up! :D

ArienEllariel
April 29th, 2010, 07:10 PM
On the topic of surgery, from what I've seen, some individuals (okay I'm going by Youtube videos here- hey, I'm weird like that) have extremely small sinus passageways in which one or more areas easily become blocked or partially closed off. This causes congestion and lots of nasal/sinus inflamation etc. I have allergies pretty bad myself (not enough that I need surgery *fingers crossed* but I am very prone to sinus infections) so I can relate to some extent. The surgeries that I have seen seem to be for the purpose of allowing the sinuses to drain better by removing some tissue and sucking out the excess mucus (sounds really gross, I know). Maybe the reason why your friend keeps having to have it done again and again is because our bodies have this insane way of trying to heal itself (which may mean growing tissue back in the areas which was previously freed up by the surgery).

I hope the suppliments work for you and that there is a way around the surgery (I know, it doesn't sound fun at all). :)

seraphine
April 29th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hair growth is usually link to hormones..I'm suspecting something that you're taking has regulated your hormones.

That's great news, though :thumbsup:

What supplements are you taking?

I agree with above,
and I see you are taking primrose oil, this does regulate hormones.
How wonderful it is to be able to stop annoying little hairs that get lost onto once's face! You must be super happy :D

Flynn
April 29th, 2010, 07:16 PM
On the topic of surgery, from what I've seen, some individuals (okay I'm going by Youtube videos here- hey, I'm weird like that) have extremely small snius passageways in which one or more areas easily become blocked or partially closed off. This causes congestion and lots of nasal/sinus inflamation etc. I have allergies pretty bad myself (not enough that I need surgery *fingers crossed* but I am very prone to sinus infections) so I can relate to some extent. The surgeries that I have seen seem to be for the purpose of allowing the sinuses to drain better by removing some tissue and sucking out the excess mucus (sounds really gross, I know). Maybe the reason why your friend keeps having to have it done again and again is because our bodies have this insane way of trying to heal itself (which may mean growing tissue back in the areas which was previously freed up by the surgery).

I hope the suppliments work for you and that there is a way around the surgery (I know, it doesn't sound fun at all). :)

There are different forms of surgery. Sometimes it is just extreme physical removal of the bacterial colonies that have taken over your sinuses. Sometimes it is that, and cutting away any polyps that have formed due to the allergies and infections (basically sticky-out bits of more or less scar tissue that effectively narrow your sinuses.) Sometimes either your sinuses are naturally too narrow or the polyps have overgrown so badly that they effectively have to re-bore your sinuses.

Repeated surgery is common in cases where allergies and an inefficient immune system combine to cause recurrent infections and irritation from allergies, resulting in polyps just regrowing over and over again.

ArienEllariel
April 29th, 2010, 07:41 PM
@ Flynn- Ah, that makes sense. :)

chloeishere
April 29th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I would also suspect the primrose oil.

Have you been checked for PCOS? Unusual hair growth patterns is a symptom of that disorder. You can google to see if you have other symptoms, but I think there is a genetic tendency towards it, so you probably already have some idea if it's likely or not.

Flynn
April 29th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Sorry, forgot to add in my original post: I agree with those who are suggesting the primrose oil. A few of mum's friends take it for relieving menopause symptoms, so I'm thinking it does influence hormones, y'know....

Juliannaissance
April 29th, 2010, 08:19 PM
The Vitamin C you're taking is worrying me a bit. The tolerable upper intake level for Vitamin C is 2000 mg. per day, and you're taking 1000 mg. four times a day....4000 mg. Have you talked to your doctor about the amount. That could be toxic, give you abdominal cramps, nausea, rashes, interference with medical test and drug therapies, etc. Be careful. Also If your taking more than 35 mg. of Vitamin B3(Niacin) per day, which is the tolerable upper intake level, it can cause flushing, hives, rashes, excessive sweating, blurred vision, liver damage, and impaired glucose tolerance. Sorry for all the info, just looking out for a fellow friend. :)

Juliannaissance
April 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Depends on the vitamin. Your kidneys and liver can filter out a lot of them, particularly the very water-soluble ones. B-vitamins, for instance, you can pretty well take to your heart's content without doing yourself much harm.Niacin is also a B vitamin, It's also referred to as Vitamin B3. Toxicity of this vitamin causes liver damage. The DRI for this vitamin is 14 mg/day for women, and 16 mg/day for men, and the tolerable upper intake level is 35 mg/day, so it's always best to safe. :)

Frying Pan Paul
April 29th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I cannot answer your question, but it is a good move that you're going to stop taking your licorice/marshmallow combo. I drink licorice tea and am careful not too drink too much since licorice can have an effect on blood pressure. Here is a link to the side effects of licorice:

http://www.personalhealthzone.com/licorice.html

Igor
April 30th, 2010, 01:17 AM
A vitamin overdose shouldn’t stop your hair growth. If you overdose on vitamins, your hair will fall out or drastically change texture instead

Overdosing on the water soluble vitamins is only dangerous if you have other untreated health problems like failing kidneys. But with the dose you’re taking its resulting in expensive pee and not any benefits

Overdosing on fat soluble vitamins however, is the dangerous one because it stores in your tissue fat and can do some severe damage (for instance to the nervous system)
But, when a pill has listed so and so many % it doesn’t necessarily mean that your body can actually absorb so and so many %

About the hairs on your chin, they might have had something to do with vitamin deficiency! Lack of certain vitamins and minerals can lead to some bizarre hair growth (I don’t expect that you have been able to tell if those hairs are “dry” or coarse, do you? :lol: That could have been a hint of deficiency growth)

I second the suspicion that it has to do with hormones, which vitamins are direct factors at regulating

However, your vitamin C, D and E intakes are on the high side. I assume the multi vitamin contains all of these, so you don’t need any extra. Vitamin C is water soluble, so it will take a high dose to put a real strain on your kidneys, but your dose is very high. I wouldn’t suspect the vitamin C to stop your growth, more that it’s hurting your kidneys
The D and E vitamins are fat soluble, so I recommend getting rid of those. You don’t need extra of them and if you overdose them it’s hard for your body to get rid of it

If I may recommend something to your routine? I would recommend adding some fibre tablets. You are taking a large dose of pills which can be a strain on the stomach and adding fibres can help you with that

Flynn
April 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Niacin is also a B vitamin, It's also referred to as Vitamin B3. Toxicity of this vitamin causes liver damage. The DRI for this vitamin is 14 mg/day for women, and 16 mg/day for men, and the tolerable upper intake level is 35 mg/day, so it's always best to safe. :)

Sorry, this is indeed true. I didn't really think that trough. What I said applies to B6 and B12, I believe.

Flynn
April 30th, 2010, 05:25 PM
A vitamin overdose shouldn’t stop your hair growth. If you overdose on vitamins, your hair will fall out or drastically change texture instead

Overdosing on the water soluble vitamins is only dangerous if you have other untreated health problems like failing kidneys. But with the dose you’re taking its resulting in expensive pee and not any benefits

Overdosing on fat soluble vitamins however, is the dangerous one because it stores in your tissue fat and can do some severe damage (for instance to the nervous system)
But, when a pill has listed so and so many % it doesn’t necessarily mean that your body can actually absorb so and so many %

About the hairs on your chin, they might have had something to do with vitamin deficiency! Lack of certain vitamins and minerals can lead to some bizarre hair growth (I don’t expect that you have been able to tell if those hairs are “dry” or coarse, do you? :lol: That could have been a hint of deficiency growth)

I second the suspicion that it has to do with hormones, which vitamins are direct factors at regulating

However, your vitamin C, D and E intakes are on the high side. I assume the multi vitamin contains all of these, so you don’t need any extra. Vitamin C is water soluble, so it will take a high dose to put a real strain on your kidneys, but your dose is very high. I wouldn’t suspect the vitamin C to stop your growth, more that it’s hurting your kidneys
The D and E vitamins are fat soluble, so I recommend getting rid of those. You don’t need extra of them and if you overdose them it’s hard for your body to get rid of it

If I may recommend something to your routine? I would recommend adding some fibre tablets. You are taking a large dose of pills which can be a strain on the stomach and adding fibres can help you with that

From my mum's in-depth research on vit. D (she's taking a high dose of it, because it was recommended by Professor Jelinek in his book as a possible treatment for MS symptoms), it's actually rather hard to get too much of it. I challenged her on it, for the same reason you bring it up, and she produced the evidence. You can, of course, take too much, but it's a very high level in a short period of time.

I was going to bring up the water soluble/fat soluble thing, but thought of that, and thought, yeah, it's a bit of a rule of thumb, rather than hard and fast, innit....

Debra83
May 1st, 2010, 12:56 AM
They are looking at upping the recommended dose of vit D to 3000 mg a day. Especially for those of us in North America.

Vit. C don't forget, flushes out with anything that is an intruder in your body. Smoking alone eats up vit c at a tremendous rate. If you bruise easily, you are not getting enough vit C. If you have a cold, it uses up vit c. Your body doesn't store vit. c at all.

From Adelle Davis, nutritionist from the 50's:

"Vitamin C seems to help everything by being destroyed by everything.....Many toxic substances might enter the body simultaneously. For example, a person suffering from allergies and doing industrial work where toxic chemicals have reached his blood might suffer from a serious infection which prevents him from eating and for which he is given various drugs; his temporary need for vit C would be tremendous.....Dr. Fred R. Klenner, chief of staff at the Memorial Hospital in Reidsville, NC, appears to have given the largest quantities of this vit to date, administered by injection when his patiens are too ill to swallow.....told of case after case of meningitis, encephalitis, virus pneumonia, and serious complications following scarlet fever and other diseases treated with massive amounts of vit c. Many patients had not been expected to live; often huge amounts of antibiotics and been given without success....With his extremely ill patients, he found that no vit c whatsoever could be detected in the blood after only a few minutes after massive doses were injected, nor was any vit c found in the urine. [and they recovered within days-deb]"

[The doctor, took 10,000 mg daily!!! Which I'm not recommending, but interesting fact. I take 2,000 mg a day and have for 10 years. But I smoke. Sometimes I take more if I get a cold or see that I'm bruising a lot. (my second job is handling a lot of freight, and I'm always hefting boxes around)].

Flynn
May 1st, 2010, 02:23 AM
They are looking at upping the recommended dose of vit D to 3000 mg a day. Especially for those of us in North America.

Really? That's great!

The current RDI is based on preventing rickets only.

Debra83
May 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM
Really? That's great!

The current RDI is based on preventing rickets only.

It's been on Canadian National News a lot because we, in Canada, for sure don't get enough sunshine exposure all year round, which is where you get the most of your vit D from naturally. :cool:

Jen123
May 7th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. I'm happy to say that I still don't have any whiskers.:gabigrin: But my hair on my head is still growing.

Flynn I did check my limits. See below. I've been on zinc lozenges for a long time and they have not helped much. I'll have to check into the olive leaf capsules. (I'm willing to give anything a go.)

Chloeshere, I probably do have mild PCOS. I've always had problems with my hormones and cysts and fertility, so it probably is the Primrose oil. I'm going to be stocking up on it.

Juliannaissance, I looked into the vitamin c and according to the rda, I'm over. But I think the RDA is low on most items, especially since the majority of our food is deficient in everything.

Igor, I don't know if the hair was dry or coarse, but definitely stiff. My diet needs work, so I probably am overcoming some deficiency.

The vitamin d in the multi was only 25% of my rda the vitamin d3 is 250%, but from what I've read I should be fine with this one. I only take it once a day (sometimes I forget this one.)

The b vitamins in the multi are pretty high, so as soon as my b12 runs out I'll stop that one. The rest of the vitamins in the multi are not super high as it is not a chemical based multi but whole food based.

My vitamin c total is (after dropping to 3 a day) 3500mg, but from what I've read other people are taking it is not extreme. Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine, so I really feel I need it.

The Guaifenesin is taken in massive doses by fibro patients and has had some studies done on it, so I feel like it is alright.

I have not decided what to do with the vitamin e (500IU)yet. I'll have to think about it.

The rest of the supplements are food based or spice based, so I think I can take as much of them as I want. All I know is that I feel better than I have in years. I feel like I am making progress. My kids have commented several times on how much better I am. I am so thankful for the internet highway and to have found such a great place here.