PDA

View Full Version : Help - advice for superdry flyaway hair?

Boudicca
April 28th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hi. I'm currently taking Accutane, and my scalp is barely producing any oil. I'm easily a week before even a tiny amount is produced. This is making my hair very difficult to handle. I'm oiling and conditioning heavily to try and pamper it (to compensate for the horrible meds), but it's very hard to pin it up neatly just now. It's usually soft and slippy anyway - but it's all over the place now.

Any advice on how to deal with this?

cardamom
April 29th, 2010, 07:32 AM
You may try SMT.

Katze
April 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM
my ends are a lot like you describe and I find leave-in (Fox's conditioning cream or Goth Rosary conditioner) works really well. Often, I mix it with gel to keep my hair from getting all floaty.

Your pic looks like you have fairytale ends. Mine grow like that naturally and I find the more 'fairytaly' they are the floatier and more weightless. So they really need something to put them into place as soon as they are dry from washing.

hth

Boudicca
May 2nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks for your advice, ladies.

I definitely need something in my hair to try and make updos hold - so leave-ins would probably work. The SMT will also help maintain condition while my hair is so dry.

blondecat
May 2nd, 2010, 08:46 AM
OK, We have taken Acutane in this family. The only help for the frizzies I can give is to Lightly oil your hair when it is damp after a wash, and then daily, when you get up.

We used Apricot kernal oil mixed with Almond oil and a nice smelling scent in it. like Peppermint oil

Good luck Good Wishes

*Aoife*
May 2nd, 2010, 09:53 AM
I don't have much to add, but on the plus side, you can really stretch washes :)

Boudicca
May 2nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
OK, We have taken Acutane in this family. The only help for the frizzies I can give is to Lightly oil your hair when it is damp after a wash, and then daily, when you get up.

We used Apricot kernal oil mixed with Almond oil and a nice smelling scent in it. like Peppermint oil

Good luck Good Wishes

Thank-you so much for the advice. I was oiling with coconut, but it's too heavy for everyday. I'll pick up apricot kernal oil when I'm in town this week.

Thanks again :blossom:

Boudicca
May 2nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
I don't have much to add, but on the plus side, you can really stretch washes :)

Heh. I seriously can't remember the last time my scalp felt remotely greasy. The only reason for washing right now is because my length is getting dry and needs conditioning. I never thought I'd be wishing for a greasy scalp! :D

Fairlight63
May 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
My hair was feeling so dry a few days ago & I deep con. it with Alter Ego Italy cond. (it has garlic in it also that is supposed to help with hairloss, but the garlic doesn't smell like garlic at all) It says to put it on after shampooing & leave it on for 15 min. I did that once & my hair was way too soft, felt kind of mushy, so now I shampoo & leave it on for 3 min. & that is just about right for me. You could experiment on how long is best for your hair.
I bought it at Amazon, a big tub of it, it was about $30 - it is kind of expensive, but it is way worth it.
I tried the SMT & it did nothing for my hair.

*Aoife*
May 3rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Heh. I seriously can't remember the last time my scalp felt remotely greasy. The only reason for washing right now is because my length is getting dry and needs conditioning. I never thought I'd be wishing for a greasy scalp! :D

:DI'm just trying to find a upside to it. Besides, at least no one has said "at least you have your hair" to you yet ;)