PDA

View Full Version : French braid help please

Nevermore
May 7th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but any attempt I make at a french braid turns into a dutch braid. I love dutch braids, but I want badly to be able to do a french braid correctly so I can do a french tuck right.

When you add hair to a french braid, where does it go in relation to the hair already in your hand? When I put it over or under, I get the same not-right result. I'm pretty sure this is where the issue is, because all my other braids come out just fine, from herringbones to english to five strand braids.

Riot Crrl
May 7th, 2008, 01:37 AM
It's not so much hair in your hand vs. new picked up hair. It's fundamentally which direction you are doing the braid in.

French: put left (if that's what you are starting with) strand OVER center strand, put right OVER center strand
Dutch: put left UNDER center strand, put right UNDER center strand

If you have got used to doing a simple 3 strand braid only the second way, the first way could take some getting used to. You might try getting used to it on a simple 3 strand before complicated it by picking up side hair.

Nevermore
May 7th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Is that really all there is to it?! O.O My god, why didn't I realize that? Thank you!

Riot Crrl
May 7th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Yep that's all there is! :D

jel
May 7th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Yeah, it's easy... but not quite! I'm the opposite of you, Nevermore - I French braid all the time and then my fingers get all confuzzled when I try a Dutch braid! :p

Zindell
May 7th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I French braid all the time and then my fingers get all confuzzled when I try a Dutch braid! :p

Haha. And I am the opposite to you. I dutch braid without any problem ... then when I try to put my hair on top instead for a french braid, my fingers get "confuzzled"! :D

Periwinkle
May 7th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Yeah, it's easy... but not quite! I'm the opposite of you, Nevermore - I French braid all the time and then my fingers get all confuzzled when I try a Dutch braid! :p

I'm exactly like that! I just can't do a Dutch one. It confuses me beyond all belief.

heidihug
May 7th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I'm exactly like that! I just can't do a Dutch one. It confuses me beyond all belief.

Me, too. All my attempts at Dutch have ended up a befuddled mess. I will try again this weekend and see what happens - wish me luck!

Fluke
May 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I can manage a Dutch braid perfectly fine on my daughter, but I can't get my fingers to work on my own hair. French braids I find a lot easier to do on myself though, but I mess them up on my daughter!!
But with a little more practice I hope to get the hang of both kinds both on myself and my daughter :)

mommy2one05
May 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM
have you tried the styling station at the long hair loom? Their instructions and step by step pictures helped me out with the french braid.

atlantaz3
May 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I'm right there with you I can french braid but turn all thumbs with dutch.

spidermom
May 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I don't understand how one can be easy and the other confusing. It's basically the same motion, only you're crossing OVER the center strand each time for french, UNDER for ducth.

Sometimes I get distracted by something, then forget which braid I was doing and switch to the other one, which makes a mess of it (of course). That's about the only trouble.

Nevermore
May 8th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I just did my second ever french braid! Yay! It's not perfect, my fingers need to learn to braid the french braid way, but it's pretty awesome and totally a french braid, just a bit sloppy.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I wasn't alone in french braid inability and thank you especially to Riot Crrl who knew exactly what I was doing wrong!