PDA

View Full Version : Messy Hair

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I hate how messy hair is so unaccepted anywhere these days. Messy hair is so much fun. It's a LOT less work than normally perfect, straight hair. I don't understand the attachment to the brush/comb.
Is anybody else with me on this or am I the only one?
lol, this thread probably makes me sound like a hippie.

spidermom
April 28th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Where is messy hair not accepted? The spring fashion run-ways were dominated by messy hair. Pictures of celebrities on the Internet are dominated by messy hair. I see messy buns all over the place, and that's the only kind I can do most day, so I see it in the mirror, too.

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Well I am a dreadlock lover and I see a lot of comments about messy hair or hair that's never been brushed. I feel as if it's unaccepted when dreads are messy yet straight hair is messy it's not as bad. Dreads have to go through a whole year or messiness before they begin to tighten up and so that entire year a lot of people judge them. I'm just wondering if everyone else had this problem. I was getting annoyed with people saying my hair was messy, lol.

I think we're seeing two different things. I look around on the ads on the site and see perfect straight silky hair but I do not really see anyone with messy hair. It's kind of annoying to get a bunch of rude comments all day long just because people don't understand.

TawnyRoots
April 28th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I agree with spidermom, in London messy, uncombed hair and undone buns and plaits are all perfectly acceptable!

Wear it messy if you want to! I like messy hair too, which is convenient as without straighteners I don't have a choice :)

TawnyRoots
April 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Well I am a dreadlock lover and I see a lot of comments about messy hair or hair that's never been brushed. I feel as if it's unaccepted when dreads are messy yet straight hair is messy it's not as bad. Dreads have to go through a whole year or messiness before they begin to tighten up and so that entire year a lot of people judge them. I'm just wondering if everyone else had this problem. I was getting annoyed with people saying my hair was messy, lol.

Ah just saw your repost, yes that must be hard with dreads. I am growing out my hair and I think it will be messy for a year or so too. :rolleyes:

Dreams_in_Pink
April 28th, 2010, 01:12 PM
As spidermom said, messy-looking hair is very fashionable nowadays. I need to stress "looking" here, because you actually have to wash, comb and groom your hair a lot to achieve those messy looks. It's like, "comb your hair to make it look messy" :D

OR you can achieve that look naturally and claim to have it done that way :D

spidermom
April 28th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Oh, o.k. - doing dreadlocks is a lot different from the popularity of messy buns/braids/beachy waves. When you want to go against the crowd, you have to develop a thick skin. Have a quick come-back ready for people that criticize, like "mind your own business," or "I have a plan" - whatever.

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Ah just saw your repost, yes that must be hard with dreads. I am growing out my hair and I think it will be messy for a year or so too. :rolleyes:
Yeah, it's very frustrating. Especially with all the rumors about dreadlocks circulating. All my fiances family can focus on is "I hope he washes them." or "Dreadlocks are dirty." Of course, I wash my hair and dreadlocks are actually really clean if you keep em that way. But people don't realize that chemicals help make their hair LOOK cleaner. While people with dreadlocks can't use chemicals until their locks are really mature so they can't understand.

Oh, o.k. - doing dreadlocks is a lot different from the popularity of messy buns/braids/beachy waves. When you want to go against the crowd, you have to develop a thick skin. Have a quick come-back ready for people that criticize, like "mind your own business," or "I have a plan" - whatever.

Yeah, I don't mind all the rude comments but what I do mind is ignorance and a lot of those rude comments are just based on the ignorance that they have. They themselves have never had dreadlocks so everything that they've ever heard is most likely true to them. Like I said above, I have to deal with my fiances family a lot and everything that they hear on tv is the truth.

Twil
April 28th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Not for me, I have really curly thick hair, so 'messy' for me is 'matted and dreaded up, increasingly becoming more tangled by the second'. I feel like my day doesn't start until I'm in a shower. I'm found of running out in headscarves though.

ETA after reading the entire thread: When I say 'dreaded up' I don't mean like, dreadlock dreads, or even the one massive dread some people have, but dreaded as in some hair has wrapped around at different heights, making for multiple collect mass of tangles falling at uneven lengths.

Aleria
April 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM
If messy = waves, hair that has a mind of its own, I definitely feel that. I gave up on trying to tell my hair what to do ages ago. Now I wash it, comb it, and that's about it.

TawnyRoots
April 28th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah, it's very frustrating. Especially with all the rumors about dreadlocks circulating. All my fiances family can focus on is "I hope he washes them." or "Dreadlocks are dirty." Of course, I wash my hair and dreadlocks are actually really clean if you keep em that way. But people don't realize that chemicals help make their hair LOOK cleaner. While people with dreadlocks can't use chemicals until their locks are really mature so they can't understand.

Yeah, I don't mind all the rude comments but what I do mind is ignorance and a lot of those rude comments are just based on the ignorance that they have. They themselves have never had dreadlocks so everything that they've ever heard is most likely true to them. Like I said above, I have to deal with my fiances family a lot and everything that they hear on tv is the truth.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the ignorance think. I think people are afraid of things they don't understand and haven't experienced. Have a think about whether it is really worth the bother and the bad attitudes, and if you decide it is, then you need to be patient with people while they adjust to your ways. I know this sounds a bit backwards, as they should be more accepting, but in reality you are the bigger person if you can shrug it off and hold your dread head high! I think turning it around like this is the only way of not getting bitter about them! They will like it eventually, and realise that they were prejudiced before :)

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Not for me, I have really curly thick hair, so 'messy' for me is 'matted and dreaded up, increasingly becoming more tangled by the second'. I feel like my day doesn't start until I'm in a shower. I'm found of running out in headscarves though.

ETA after reading the entire thread: When I say 'dreaded up' I don't mean like, dreadlock dreads, or even the one massive dread some people have, but dreaded as in some hair has wrapped around at different heights, making for multiple collect mass of tangles falling at uneven lengths.

lol, I understand but it does sound like you have good dread hair. :p

If messy = waves, hair that has a mind of its own, I definitely feel that. I gave up on trying to tell my hair what to do ages ago. Now I wash it, comb it, and that's about it.

I like the way you think. :D
But funny enough is that if you really let your hair do what it want's to do then it would dreadlock! lol. But in all seriousness, I think your hair is very pretty the way it is.

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head with the ignorance think. I think people are afraid of things they don't understand and haven't experienced. Have a think about whether it is really worth the bother and the bad attitudes, and if you decide it is, then you need to be patient with people while they adjust to your ways. I know this sounds a bit backwards, as they should be more accepting, but in reality you are the bigger person if you can shrug it off and hold your dread head high! I think turning it around like this is the only way of not getting bitter about them! They will like it eventually, and realise that they were prejudiced before :)

My thoughts exactly. I've wanted dreads since I was a child and for the past year I've wanted longer hair. I always liked how dreadlocks looked and I am a guy so I like the fact that dreads are less maintenance and it took me about a year and a half to really do as much research on dreads as I could and I finally decided to go for it.
I'm coming from a completely shaved head. I've had a shaved head for three and a half years so I'm definitely loving my hair now, lol.
I know that I will be happy with dreadlocks but I will show them off as much as I can and not care what people think. But as far as right now, I am in the awkward stage of dreading where my hair is a pretty big mess and although I actually like watching it become natural locks and I like how messy it is...I still get the random comments from family about how my hair should be. Dreads are completely different from normal hair and they don't understand that.

Aleria
April 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I like the way you think. :D
But funny enough is that if you really let your hair do what it want's to do then it would dreadlock! lol. But in all seriousness, I think your hair is very pretty the way it is.
Hmm nothing against dreadlocks, they're just not for me. I like having silky hair I can run my fingers through.

naereid
April 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM
There are two types of messiness, natural and artificial. It might SEEM at first that messiness is accepted in general, but actually, only the latter, the "right kind" of messiness is.
To get it, one needs to follow those articles in magazines that say that for "messy bed hair" you just need a detangling comb, a teasing comb, a load of hair gel, some hairspray, a curling iron and blowdryer... The same goes for makeup when for a "natural" look all you need is some foundation, blush, mascara, lipstick and lipgloss. Right. :roll:

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Hmm nothing against dreadlocks, they're just not for me. I like having silky hair I can run my fingers through.

No doubt, I like your hair. lol. Dreadlocks definitely aren't for everyone and I respect that. It would be boring if we all had dreads. I would probably end up wanting straight. :p lol.

There are two types of messiness, natural and artificial. It might SEEM at first that messiness is accepted in general, but actually, only the latter, the "right kind" of messiness is.
To get it, one needs to follow those articles in magazines that say that for "messy bed hair" you just need a detangling comb, a teasing comb, a load of hair gel, some hairspray, a curling iron and blowdryer... The same goes for makeup when for a "natural" look all you need is some foundation, blush, mascara, lipstick and lipgloss. Right. :roll:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Agh.
Sadness. I love the natural look. Sure it has it's days where we look a little goofy but it has some really nice day's as well.