PDA

View Full Version : HD Howto braid hair tutorial

yellowchariot
April 28th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I have finally manage to upload an HD quality video to youtube. However, I had to hack, splice, and cut it down so it would upload onto youtube :rant: lol. The original file was an MP4 1.00GB @720p for 27 minutes!!! So I had to convert to WMV :doh:

You all let me know what you think. I took the comedic approach because most tutorials seem to be too serious at times. Also this is for beginner to advance level. Peace out!

BTW: The video is in 3 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImJkWX0NkSw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImJkWX0NkSw

Maddy25
April 28th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I'm at work and youtube is blocked :mad: but I look forward to watching it as soon as I get home!

cmnt831
April 28th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Great job! Informative and entertaining. :D

yellowchariot
April 28th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Great job! Informative and entertaining. :D

Thanks! I thought by adding in some cheap comedy, most viewers would learn much easier. So the overall mood of the tutorial isn't so stiff and formal.

BTW, cmnt, did you learn anything? haha j/k

cmnt831
April 28th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Haha, don't make me post a picture of my french braid for proof! :p Did I learn anything, sheesh....

yellowchariot
April 28th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Haha, don't make me post a picture of my french braid for proof! :p Did I learn anything, sheesh....

I've seen your braid pic, its awesome ;).

cmnt831
April 28th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Aw, thanks! :flower:

Peter
April 28th, 2010, 10:28 AM
"When I wash my hair, it looks very thick on top, so... that's discrimination again!" :D

Funny video, man, and nice braid!

yellowchariot
April 28th, 2010, 12:03 PM
"When I wash my hair, it looks very thick on top, so... that's discrimination again!" :D

Funny video, man, and nice braid!

^ hehe yeah, for real though! I just had to point that out!
Thanks Peter!

Gumball
April 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Great braiding, yellowchariot! I dug the commentary.

yellowchariot
April 28th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Great braiding, yellowchariot! I dug the commentary.

^ Awesome, Gumball thanks!

BTW: Could you all see what I was doing with my hands and fingers, as far as me giving instructions and coordination? I know the quality of the last couple of videos were horrible. I figured by adding some simple comic relieve to the vid, it would help the viewers understand what was going on through the whole process.

little_cherry
April 28th, 2010, 12:21 PM
LOL...Awesome! Thanks for sharing! :D

aada
April 28th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I won't lie; I watched it for the accent. ;) No one I know, not even my family that lives in the South, has an accent that strong. From a linguistic approach, it is awesome for practice transcribing dialects.

Betcha didn't know your videos could be education for something other than hair, eh? :D

yellowchariot
April 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM
LOL...Awesome! Thanks for sharing! :D

^little_cherry, no prob! your welcome!

I won't lie; I watched it for the accent. ;) No one I know, not even my family that lives in the South, has an accent that strong. From a linguistic approach, it is awesome for practice transcribing dialects.

Betcha didn't know your videos could be education for something other than hair, eh? :D

aada, then you family are not true Southerns! LOL j/k :D. I replied it to watch how ignorant I looked. When I worked and did business over the phone, I could mask my accent fairly well. However, around here, if you don't sound like that, you might get a gun pulled out on ya! haha

MsBubbles
April 28th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks for making these videos! I have a long way to go to be ever able to do a french braid on my hair but it helps me to see you creating one in your fine hair too. And your commentary is very useful because I'm not one who can just look and then copy. I have to have things explained.

It's also helpful to hear you say it took you a good 3 months to learn.

yellowchariot
April 28th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks for making these videos! I have a long way to go to be ever able to do a french braid on my hair but it helps me to see you creating one in your fine hair too. And your commentary is very useful because I'm not one who can just look and then copy. I have to have things explained.

It's also helpful to hear you say it took you a good 3 months to learn.

Glad that I could be of help MsBubbles! It did take about 2 or 3 months to really get the technique down. Once you know the how-to part, then that is when you figure out your own method of using your hands and fingers. I also need visiual and audio aid for instuctions on just about anything really! :)

Peter
April 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM
^ Awesome, Gumball thanks!

BTW: Could you all see what I was doing with my hands and fingers, as far as me giving instructions and coordination? I know the quality of the last couple of videos were horrible. I figured by adding some simple comic relieve to the vid, it would help the viewers understand what was going on through the whole process.
I could see it just fine, the quality is great. :)

little_cherry
April 28th, 2010, 09:40 PM
.....However, around here, if you don't sound like that, you might get a gun pulled out on ya! haha
LOL!!! :D

I like your accent, too! My accent is weird...somewhere between refined Australian and Canadian o_O

yellowchariot
April 28th, 2010, 10:34 PM
LOL!!! :D

I like your accent, too! My accent is weird...somewhere between refined Australian and Canadian o_O

^ Your accent sounds cool! You can tell that I sound like a hillbilly, but after people get "used to my voice," they realize that I have some brains about me! :D

Twil
April 29th, 2010, 01:40 PM
After the fifth time, I've got something resembling a braid. Also, I thought my hair was the only hair that would dry in strands, making my hair look like it was thinning.

yellowchariot
April 29th, 2010, 01:56 PM
After the fifth time, I've got something resembling a braid. Also, I thought my hair was the only hair that would dry in strands, making my hair look like it was thinning.

^ Cool, so did the vid help you out?

I also plan on making the dutch version.

deviantkitten
April 29th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Awesome video! I love the comment about discrimination against fine texture haired people. I LOLd. Keep rockin', and jeep the tutorials coming!

Aer
April 29th, 2010, 02:10 PM
That was funny! And informative, of course. Great job!

Wanderer09
April 29th, 2010, 02:20 PM
That was a good tutorial! And I also love your accent. :D

yellowchariot
April 29th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Awesome video! I love the comment about discrimination against fine texture haired people. I LOLd. Keep rockin', and jeep the tutorials coming!

That was funny! And informative, of course. Great job!

That was a good tutorial! And I also love your accent. :D

^ I really appreciate those comments! Thanks a lot, you all! My next video will be uploaded soon, I dunno when, I guess the next time I mohawk braid my hair lol. I'll probably use standard definition because it's easier to upload. I think the big issue is the youtube uploader. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just stops in the middle of the file!

Fairlight63
April 29th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Thank you for the tutorial, it was really good with a lot of good tips. I thought that part where you said that the rat tail comb isn't helping & you threw it was funny.

yellowchariot
April 29th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you for the tutorial, it was really good with a lot of good tips. I thought that part where you said that the rat tail comb isn't helping & you threw it was funny.

^ hehe, The rat tail comb is most likely a genetic mutation! :tongue:

Capybara
April 29th, 2010, 03:28 PM
"Fully textured hair in an instant, right out of a box" :p

This was great! I'll have to admit, I've been guilty of not braiding to the curvature of my scalp... I'll have to try your method!

A bit off topic, but, maybe the name of the rattail comb is a reference to the rattail hairstyle? I don't know ... :)

Thinthondiel
April 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Awesome tutorial... maybe I should try this. I've never been able to start my braids on the top of my head, and I'm not really that good at French braids anyway... I'm much better at Dutch braids.

Oh, and I think your accent is awesome. I love accents (in English; for some reason I don't have the same interest for Norwegian dialects), and a nice Southern accent can make me weak in the knees. Especially the vowel in words like "thing", lol. :p

yellowchariot
April 29th, 2010, 06:20 PM
"Fully textured hair in an instant, right out of a box" :p

This was great! I'll have to admit, I've been guilty of not braiding to the curvature of my scalp... I'll have to try your method!

A bit off topic, but, maybe the name of the rattail comb is a reference to the rattail hairstyle? I don't know ... :)

^ It took me the longest time to figure out how to do that! IMO I think braids look way cooler when they follow along the curve of the head.

Ah! I had the rat tail hair when I was about 5 or 6, in fact just about every body did back then in the 80's LOL!

Awesome tutorial... maybe I should try this. I've never been able to start my braids on the top of my head, and I'm not really that good at French braids anyway... I'm much better at Dutch braids.

Oh, and I think your accent is awesome. I love accents (in English; for some reason I don't have the same interest for Norwegian dialects), and a nice Southern accent can make me weak in the knees. Especially the vowel in words like "thing", lol. :p

^ Why thank'ya, thank'ya vur'y much! :D

Pallas
April 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Nice! I haven't watched it all yet (since it's almost morning and I need to sleep) but you alreaqdy made me laugh! XD After years of trying I still can't do a french braid on myself, so I'l definitely watch the rest of your vids ;)

Anyway, thanks for making my day 8D

yellowchariot
April 30th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Nice! I haven't watched it all yet (since it's almost morning and I need to sleep) but you alreaqdy made me laugh! XD After years of trying I still can't do a french braid on myself, so I'l definitely watch the rest of your vids ;)

Anyway, thanks for making my day 8D

Thanks Chaja-girl, its always good to know that I've made somebody's day! I think one of my crazy talents could be comedy (in a cheesy way :cheese:) LOL

mattt
May 2nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
awesome, made me laugh. one day it will come in use

yellowchariot
May 2nd, 2010, 11:44 PM
awesome, made me laugh. one day it will come in use

Hey mattt, I appreciate your comment! These styles are handy for doing anything outdoors! Peace out! :D

tigr
May 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM
Great video! I liked how specific you were about what fingers you used and how to keep that big cave thing from happening at the bottom.

Even my friend who doesn't have long hair (she came in while i was watching) enjoyed it!

pinkbunny
May 3rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Well, I take back everything I said about MY heavy accent in my tutorial - you have me beat! It suits you better, though :D

I already know how to braid, I just wanted to put a face (& voice) to your online identity lol

yellowchariot
May 4th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Great video! I liked how specific you were about what fingers you used and how to keep that big cave thing from happening at the bottom.

Even my friend who doesn't have long hair (she came in while i was watching) enjoyed it!

^ Haha, tigr I'm glad you all enjoyed the video!

Well, I take back everything I said about MY heavy accent in my tutorial - you have me beat! It suits you better, though :D

I already know how to braid, I just wanted to put a face (& voice) to your online identity lol

^ pinkbunny, I normally disguise the heavey Southern part, when I talk business to other people. Though when I'm just hanging out, or being silly, I really put it into overdrive! :D

XcaliburGirl
May 8th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Great tutorial! I am determined to get good at this by the end of May since it's the May style of the month.

I spent about 2 or 3 hours total on a long drive (I wasn't driving.) practicing French braids on myself using a text+pictures tutorial I found online.
This is the best one: Before (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5328&pictureid=71386)
It's too loose and stops too far up on my head. I also kept getting that "tunnel" under the braid and my sections were uneven so I couldn't finish the regular braid part.

I watched your tutorial once through and then watched the beginning again while I was braiding to get the finger placement down.
The whole part about angling the sections differently as you go down the head was like a lightbulb for me.
This is my first attempt from that: After (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5328&pictureid=71387)

I still need to practice, but it's much better. Thanks! :cheese:

Heidi_234
May 8th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I think your accent overshadowed the HD quality of it. :p
JK, good video! I'm sure it would be of help to new learners. :)

CrisDee
May 8th, 2010, 10:52 AM
OMG, you so ROCK!!! :cheese: I watched the first part of the first video and got the concept, then tried it on my still too da## short hair - and almost got it! With a little bit of practice, this will give me a way to get my hair off me in the heat of the summer - thereby GREATLY reducing any urge to chop it off to get cooler! Thanks, YC!!

Oh yeah, and I also thought it was great fun, love your accent :D

yellowchariot
May 8th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Great tutorial! I am determined to get good at this by the end of May since it's the May style of the month.

I spent about 2 or 3 hours total on a long drive (I wasn't driving.) practicing French braids on myself using a text+pictures tutorial I found online.
This is the best one: Before (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5328&pictureid=71386)
It's too loose and stops too far up on my head. I also kept getting that "tunnel" under the braid and my sections were uneven so I couldn't finish the regular braid part.

I watched your tutorial once through and then watched the beginning again while I was braiding to get the finger placement down.
The whole part about angling the sections differently as you go down the head was like a lightbulb for me.
This is my first attempt from that: After (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5328&pictureid=71387)

I still need to practice, but it's much better. Thanks! :cheese:

Your most welcome XcaliburGir, I'm glad I could help someone out! That made my day! Also you may find the other 2 videos very helpful as you get down to the nape of your neck, this tends to be the most difficult part for me! Rock on! ;)

I think your accent overshadowed the HD quality of it. :p
JK, good video! I'm sure it would be of help to new learners. :)

Alright now Heidi, those are fite'n wurds around here! lol j/k I know that HD totally went out of the window as soon as I began to speak! :laugh:

OMG, you so ROCK!!! :cheese: I watched the first part of the first video and got the concept, then tried it on my still too da## short hair - and almost got it! With a little bit of practice, this will give me a way to get my hair off me in the heat of the summer - thereby GREATLY reducing any urge to chop it off to get cooler! Thanks, YC!!

Oh yeah, and I also thought it was great fun, love your accent :D

CrisDee, I really appreciate it! Also taking smaller sections works excellent on very short hair, especially as you are progressing toward the bottom. Be sure to watch video 3! That may give you a good idea of what to do. :thumbsup:

Heidi_234
May 8th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Hehe no fite'n wurds my friend! Your accent adds to the video like - :uhh: - :hmm: - pictures to a newspaper, making it vivid and colorful! ;) It reminded me to check if True blood's new season is out already or not. :thumpsup:

Sammich
May 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM
WOAH dude! Awesome tut. Thank you very much, I realllyy need help with that. I mess with my braids alot. Very useful, plus it was hilarious! Loving the accent, it's very interesting. :D

yellowchariot
May 10th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Hehe no fite'n wurds my friend! Your accent adds to the video like - :uhh: - :hmm: - pictures to a newspaper, making it vivid and colorful! ;) It reminded me to check if True blood's new season is out already or not. :thumpsup:

^ haha, hey what does True Blood have anything to do with this? (btw, I've never watched an episode, is it good?)

WOAH dude! Awesome tut. Thank you very much, I realllyy need help with that. I mess with my braids alot. Very useful, plus it was hilarious! Loving the accent, it's very interesting. :D

Thanks Sammich, I'm glad you got a laugh out of the tutu (tutoria, I get tongue tied) :D and you found it helpful!

Fethenwen
May 10th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Love it! Really good quality both sound and picture. It was also informative, and nice to see a guy making a hair tutorial for a change :D

I also like using three fold mirrors when I make some more complicated style.

ArienEllariel
May 10th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Great tutorial YellowChariot. :) I'll have to try this method. My fingers always get all tangled up when I french braid and this results in messy sections. It's much nicer when people take their time and go slow in tutorials because, like you said, most beginners aren't going to get something tutorial is really short.

Trixie33
May 10th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Love the video, to funny LOL :)

yellowchariot
May 10th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Love it! Really good quality both sound and picture. It was also informative, and nice to see a guy making a hair tutorial for a change :D

I also like using three fold mirrors when I make some more complicated style.

Thanks Fethenwen, It was a bit awkward at first, because when you search youtube, I'm just one of a few men that have a hair tutorial LOL :D

Great tutorial YellowChariot. :) I'll have to try this method. My fingers always get all tangled up when I french braid and this results in messy sections. It's much nicer when people take their time and go slow in tutorials because, like you said, most beginners aren't going to get something tutorial is really short.

^ For real, ArienEllariel! I think the reason why most people find it so complicated is because the person making the tutorial assumes that the view already knows what to do, or will just "catch on" after the first few go-arounds. People like me, have to take it SLOW and examine EVERYTHING :p

Love the video, to funny LOL :)

Thanks Trixie33, I'm glad I could make someone laugh or cheer them up! :thumbsup:

restourceful
May 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM
^ Cool, so did the vid help you out?

I also plan on making the dutch version.

My first thought was, "wait...he speaks dutch, too?" :disbelief

But I may have to report you to the SPCRTC (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Rat Tail Combs). You simply cannot just throw a rat tail comb around like that. You might break the poor little thing's tail! :rollin: :lol:

EtherealOde
May 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM
LOL! Awesome, so funny and still educational. I use a tri-fold mirror too, it has really helped me a lot. My braids are never going to be as neat as yours I fear, too many shorter pieces want to poke out! But don't laugh, that is discriminating against people with a fringe that's still growing out.

yellowchariot
May 13th, 2010, 09:04 PM
LOL! Awesome, so funny and still educational. I use a tri-fold mirror too, it has really helped me a lot. My braids are never going to be as neat as yours I fear, too many shorter pieces want to poke out! But don't laugh, that is discriminating against people with a fringe that's still growing out.

EtherealOde, I agree, those tri-folds mirrors are extremely handy. Try dampening those shorter hairs, and smoothing them in. (I get them too) Oh and hehe I don't laugh or discrimiate against our fringe bro's and sis'tas! :thumbsup:

When your all's fringe, grows out, it will look thicker than mine :o.

restourceful
May 14th, 2010, 08:12 AM
YC, I really like the frame on your tri-fold mirror, all rustic and manly. Where did you get it? And if you tell me you made it I'm gonna be so mad because 1-I won't be able to find one for my house, and 2-You have more talents than any one person ought to be allowed to have! ;) But seriously, I really do like it a lot.

LawyerGirl
May 14th, 2010, 08:35 AM
It was great! I need one more inch to do a decent braid I think!

otherarrow
May 14th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Great vid and very funny!

I can recognize the thin-haired "baldspots" as I have them too and everyone feel they have to comment on me balding :mad:

This will come in hand when my hair gets a little longer.
Thanks!

yellowchariot
May 14th, 2010, 02:05 PM
YC, I really like the frame on your tri-fold mirror, all rustic and manly. Where did you get it? And if you tell me you made it I'm gonna be so mad because 1-I won't be able to find one for my house, and 2-You have more talents than any one person ought to be allowed to have! ;) But seriously, I really do like it a lot.

^ hehe my dad made the framing out of Cedar wood :tongue: so, no, you can't buy them!

It was great! I need one more inch to do a decent braid I think!

Thanks LawyerGirl, I bet if you used very small sections, you could squeeze one in.

Great vid and very funny!

I can recognize the thin-haired "baldspots" as I have them too and everyone feel they have to comment on me balding :mad:

This will come in hand when my hair gets a little longer.
Thanks!

I appreciate the comment, otherarrow! I get irritated when people say "oh your going bald." When it's just my oily hair :rant:
After I switched to non-cone shampoos and C/O's, my hair started to get much thicker.

GlennaGirl
May 14th, 2010, 02:59 PM
You are so danged cute! Thank you so much for the great tutorial.

GlennaGirl
May 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Oh, also...I agree with you that that very first sectioning (the "foundation" piece) is the most important. I always pay the most attention to my first sectioning and then the first two to three cross-overs. After that the stage is pretty much set for the rest of the braid.

yellowchariot
May 14th, 2010, 05:17 PM
You are so danged cute! Thank you so much for the great tutorial.

Oh, also...I agree with you that that very first sectioning (the "foundation" piece) is the most important. I always pay the most attention to my first sectioning and then the first two to three cross-overs. After that the stage is pretty much set for the rest of the braid.

GlennaGirl, I appreciate your kind words! Most people would be scared silly with an up-close of my face right in the camera LOL "Hey Ya'w!" :toofers:

I've always thought that the first/top section was the most critical because it sets the foundation for how thick, tight, small, loose, etc. . . that you want your braid to be.

BTW: I added you on my youtube account! Thanks