PDA

View Full Version : S & D in the movies - 27 dresses - any others?

julliams
April 28th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I'm sitting here watching 27 dresses and there is a scene where the main character gets flowers delivered to her. She's discussing something or rather with her girlfriend (I'm not really listening - sitting with laptop reading LHC - lol) and I look up to see the girlfriend performing S & D whilst having said conversation. First time I've seen that in a movie.

Carolyn
April 28th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Yes I remember that scene. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in my blog after I went to the movie. S & D wasn't invented by someone from LHC. The first time I read about it was in Glamour magazine back when I was in college in the 70s. I doubt it was something new back then.

julliams
April 28th, 2010, 05:38 AM
I used to S & D when I was 18 (37 now) on my long train trips to University. It was a 2 hour trip to get there so I had plenty of time - and apparently lots of splits.

It's just not something you see all that commonly - I guess it's more of a private thing like cutting nails.

Loreley
April 28th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I haven't seen S&D in a movie either. :)
But I did it before LHC, too. :D

sibiryachka
April 28th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I'm sure it's not a new trick! I recall a woman I worked with 25+ years ago telling me about how her grandmother used to do it on her when she was a child, in Germany.

purplebubba
May 2nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
There was a Pantene commercial showing someone, possibly Daisy Fuentes snipping the ends of her hair.

ButterCream
May 2nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
I used to S & D when I was 18 (37 now) on my long train trips to University. It was a 2 hour trip to get there so I had plenty of time - and apparently lots of splits.

It's just not something you see all that commonly - I guess it's more of a private thing like cutting nails.

Soooooooo....how did the trainseat look like when you got up to leave the train after two hours, lol
*Asking and hiding behind couch..*:couch:

lol, I m sorry, didn`t mean to be rude:o
Here, have some Skittles, they are nom!:skittles:

x0h_bother
May 2nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
Soooooooo....how did the trainseat look like when you got up to leave the train after two hours, lol
*Asking and hiding behind couch..*:couch:

lol, I m sorry, didn`t mean to be rude:o
Here, have some Skittles, they are nom!:skittles:
Haha I was wondering the same thing. But, I was wondering if you got funny looks. I have attempted to do this at my desk on lunch break, but I now share the space and so I have no privacy anymore to S&D there.

Burgundyhair
May 2nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Been doing to my hair too for 20 years now. My hubby thinks I've lost my mind when I do it in front of the computer screen. He just doesn't understand that the screen makes those splits show up much better.

RenaBanana
May 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Burgundyhair - oh my goodness, I know exactly what you mean! My boyfriend was wondering the same thing last night. Computer screen > lamp.

manderly
May 2nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
I used to S&D at my desk at work when my bosses weren't around and there was nothing to do :D Big old office scissors too!

ButterCream
May 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Haha I was wondering the same thing. But, I was wondering if you got funny looks. I have attempted to do this at my desk on lunch break, but I now share the space and so I have no privacy anymore to S&D there.

*giggles as I start to imagine people are S&D in their luchbreaks, and when they are done they pull out a tiny handheld vacuum cleaner the size of a lipgloss and start to vacuume desk, shirt, sleeves and shoulders...*

But that is just typical of me and my imagination...it never takes a break, le sigh....:p
*ponders about googling lipgloss sized vacuumcleaners...*:eyebrows:

Capybara
May 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
I watched that movie a few weeks ago and noticed that too! Proved to the sister that I'm not the only one who does S&D :D

I can't think of any other movies with it in them though.. :rolleyes:

noelgirl
May 3rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
It's been a while since I watched it, but I think there's a scene in Picture Perfect with it. There's a scene where Jennifer Aniston's character is having her hair set in rollers, and while this is happening, she's S&D'ing the loose hair.