PDA

View Full Version : DreadLock Myths& The Truth Revealed

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Alright, so I've seen the other dreadlock thread and it is truly misinformed and there are a ton of myths that go along with dreadlocks. I'm making this new thread for people who are thinking about getting dreadlocks and/or people who are just interested in learning more about dreadlocks. I'm making this because I do not want people who are interested in dreadlocks to go into that thread and see all the myths and think that dreads are as horrible as the myths that surround them. Most people do not understand how different dreadlocks are from normal straight hair. I know that I am a new member with very little posting experience but I can promise the truth about dreadlocks and I'm hoping that the the members and mods alike can have faith that I will to answer all the questions truthfully, honestly and informatively. So please start asking questions, I love dreads and I love helping people find out the truth about them. There is so much to learn, so little time! Thank you all and I look forward to answering all your dready questions! :D Will a mod please change the title to "The Truth Of Natural Dreadlocks" Thanks!

farewell_nancy
April 28th, 2010, 02:05 PM
How do you dry dreadlocks and what's this about mold?

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Well everyone's drying methods are different and there are also different ways to dry off when they're in the different stages. Air drying is fine for dreads in all stages and it's the best method for dreads still in the baby stages. You can also use a towel at all stages. A blow dryer is also a good method but since blow dryers get so hot I don't recommend them because the air has to get into the core of the locks to dry them, the outside of the locks start getting heat damage from the blow dryer. Air drying and using a towel just like normal hair is perfectly fine and it's good to squeeze the water out of em, gently. Some people choose to blunt the tips of their dreadlocks and this is actually a bad thing because blunted tips trap water inside the dread and that makes the dreads take longer to dry so the loose tips are preferable. Mold is caused by trapping the water and bacteria inside the dreads for long periods of time. This is more likely to happen when wax is used. Wax is the worst thing to ever put in dreads by the way!!! But mold can also happen if the dreads are not cleaned and dried off properly. It takes BOTH(moisture and lack of hygiene) of those things to create mold. But with that said, there are some all natural, healthy and easy ways to get rid of mold and you are very unlikely to get mold if you keep dreads clean and dry.

Thanks for asking!

ETA:
I'm going to bump this topic up once a day in hopes of creating a discussion but if the topic doesn't get at least one post every two days then I will quit bumping and let it die. I hope that is okay.

tinker bug
April 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM
exactly how much length do dreads eat up? I've heard that dreaded hair is 1/3 as long as non dreaded hair (am I making any sense?). DBF wants to try dreads after he's out of the military :crush:

Nae
April 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I have seen things that say it takes a while for the dreads to set up.....I think. Like they aren't quite done for a few months. Is that true? And if so why is that?

Can you comb them out with any luck or are they a very permanent thing? I also wondered as your hair grows how do you contine to dread the roots?:confused:

I don't know anything about them but I am snoopy and like to know things!! :D

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM
exactly how much length do dreads eat up? I've heard that dreaded hair is 1/3 as long as non dreaded hair (am I making any sense?). DBF wants to try dreads after he's out of the military :crush:

It's definitely different for every hair type. Sometimes dreading will take off an inch sometimes they will take off 1/3 of the hair length.
If he has very short hair, three inches or shorter, then I would recommend going completely natural because if he does this then he will have dreads forming and growing while he is gaining length and he won't have to worry about losing much length.
When considering loss of length the worst method would be backcombing, people who backcomb tend to lose a lot of length.
Personally, I think backcombing looks silly. :p

If he is interested in the natural dreading process then feel free to ask questions because natural dreading truly is a journey.

I'd like to mention that I can tell anyone who is interested how to do most of the other artificial methods (although I do disapprove of them because I feel like they are missing the point of dreads and the fact that they make dreads weaker over time if they are over done) but I highly recommend natural because you get the most out of dreadlocks and you get to enjoy the feeling that you get when they finally mature. But one method that I do recommend that is healthy and still fairly natural is the T&R method which does much less damage than other methods and they don't look as goofy. :p But you have to remember that T&R only starts a foundation and the dreading happens when your hair decides.

Nae
April 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM
What is T&R?

Fractalsofhair
April 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
How do you get natural dreads if your hair is straight and tends to knot into just one chunk? Are you stuck with that as your dread pattern?

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I have seen things that say it takes a while for the dreads to set up.....I think. Like they aren't quite done for a few months. Is that true? And if so why is that?

Can you comb them out with any luck or are they a very permanent thing? I also wondered as your hair grows how do you contine to dread the roots?:confused:

I don't know anything about them but I am snoopy and like to know things!! :D

Dreads do take a long time to form and look nice but usually when people decide to dread they actually like the messy process that unfolds. Now dreads can take anywhere from one week to six months to start forming depending on hair type and hair length.
There are three stages of dreadlocks.
The first stage of dreads are called baby locks. This is when the dreads are just starting to form and they look pretty strange to be honest, they definitely don't look "good" or nice for most people and this is the main stage that scares people away from dreadlocks. The second stage is teenage dreads. It can take anywhere from three to six months to get to this stage. This is when the dreads are constantly changing, they get really weird loopy things in them and they get lots of loose hair and frizzies. A lot of people don't like this stage either but I actually love it. It looks awesome but teenage dreads do have their bad days. Then there is the mature dread stage. This is the stage everyone loves to see, the locks turn beautiful and tight. There is still a little bit of fuzziness to them and there might be a loop or two but overall they generally look nice and appealing even to people who don't have locks. It can takes about a year and a half or two years to get mature dreads but after that they will always be maturing and getting a little nicer everyday although they will still go through changes. :D

Well generally people who get dreads tend to keep them because like long hair, cutting it can be pretty sad, lol. Especially since it takes so long to dread. But yes you can actually comb them out. But it takes a long time and you have to use a lot of conditioner, lol. It can take anywhere from a few hours to literally weeks to comb it out. The roots don't actually combine. The roots are still straight hair. There is supposed to be about half an inch to three inches of roots. This is a good thing though because it makes the scalp easier to wash. :p IMO, I like to see roots but some dreadheads don't like their roots. I don't understand why. :p

That's good. :D Better to know than guess. :p
I love answering dready questions so keep em comin if you think of any others that you'd like answered.

Nae
April 28th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Do you know of any good pictures of these, baby, teenage and mature dreads so I can really get a visual of what you are talking about?

Okay, about the roots again. If you dread your hair and then a year goes by do you just have 6 inches of straight hair on top? Is that what you mean by the roots don't combine?

Sorry if I ask a lot of basic questions but I have never known anyone with dreads personally enough to ask a ton of questions about them.

little_acorn
April 28th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I'm curious but what is the natural method? Do you just leave your hair to do its thing, so to speak?

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM
What is T&R?

Twist and rip.
I am trying to find a video on youtube for you.
Basically what you do is take a section of hair, twist it in one direction and then take the tips and rip then apart. Not literally, lol.
But you pull two halves of the hair apart until it starts knotting up and you keep doing this over and over on one section until the whole section is knotted together. Then you continue doing all the rest of the sections. The sections should be about one inch and all over in a brick lay type patter. But you have to remember that at least a third of these will all come out because you're just sectioning and building a foundation. It isn't real dreading but it is building a foundation for the dreads to form on.

How do you get natural dreads if your hair is straight and tends to knot into just one chunk? Are you stuck with that as your dread pattern?

Well straighter hair normally takes longer to dread but it's not impossible. :p If worse comes to worst then you can do the T&R and that is almost completely natural. Read the other part of my post that is for Nae. If your hair knots into one chunk then you can separate it but you have to really watch your hair and make sure that it doesn't grow this way because once it does it really won't come apart easily, lol. But when your dreads are forming you would need to keep them separated to avoid the big uni dread. ;)
To separate all you have to do is pull them apart, it's really easy and can be done right after you shower or right after you wake up but if you're really worried about getting a uni dread you could do it twice a day.

Do you know of any good pictures of these, baby, teenage and mature dreads so I can really get a visual of what you are talking about?

Yes, I will get them for you ASAP. I might need to restart my computer because for some reason it won't let me save pics.
But yes, I will get those for you in 10-15 minutes.

Okay, about the roots again. If you dread your hair and then a year goes by do you just have 6 inches of straight hair on top? Is that what you mean by the roots don't combine?

lol, no. Roots just don't dread. If you grew dreads you would end up with at least an inch of undreaded hair at the root, this is hair that you can stick your fingers through like normal hair. As it grows the hair grows into the dreads, the roots stay the same. Over time though the roots get shorter and you will have less straight hair on top but you will always have about an inch of straight hair connection your scalp to the dread. This way you can still scrub your scalp and the water can get into the dreads better.
I don't know if I explained that in a way that you can understand. I'll try to get a picture of someone longish roots too.

Sorry if I ask a lot of basic questions but I have never known anyone with dreads personally enough to ask a ton of questions about them.

Well I've done a lot of research and I'm glad someone is learning.
A big problem with dreads is all the hateful rumors.

I'm curious but what is the natural method? Do you just leave your hair to do its thing, so to speak?

Yes, that's exactly what you do.
You wash it regularly but you can't use normal shampoo. You have to use all natural shampoo and you separate the dreads so that you grow many beautiful locks and not one uni dread. Locks are interesting the way that they change as well because one day you can have 60 locks and a month later you could have 53 or vice versa.

Nae
April 28th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Okay, so let me see if I have this right.......

As your hair grows you will always have a little bit of a root, which is fine. I think I know what you are talking bout there. An inch or so, and that does make sense about the roots helping out when washing the scalp. But as it grows it sorta merges into the rest of the dreads and becomes dreaded itself?? And that is why you don't see people with only the last few inches of hair dreaded with the rest straight........am I on the right track here??

Now my brain is wondering if a person could have like tailbone length hair where the dreads only start at like BSL or something?? That would look pretty weird lol. Is that impossible because of the nature of dreadlocks?

Thank you SO much for all this information!!!!!! I have always wondered about and always been fascinated by dreads, I appreciate you letting us pick your brain.

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Okay, so let me see if I have this right.......

As your hair grows you will always have a little bit of a root, which is fine. I think I know what you are talking bout there. An inch or so, and that does make sense about the roots helping out when washing the scalp. But as it grows it sorta merges into the rest of the dreads and becomes dreaded itself?? And that is why you don't see people with only the last few inches of hair dreaded with the rest straight........am I on the right track here??

Now my brain is wondering if a person could have like tailbone length hair where the dreads only start at like BSL or something?? That would look pretty weird lol. Is that impossible because of the nature of dreadlocks?

Thank you SO much for all this information!!!!!! I have always wondered about and always been fascinated by dreads, I appreciate you letting us pick your brain.

The roots will always be there, yes. The hair, this is hard to explain....lol. Here, I found it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E6spj8KDEE Watch that video. His roots are awesome looking. Don't listen to him though, he sounds like he's on drugs or something, lol.

I'm still trying to find decent pictures.
But no, that's not entirely impossible but very unlikely. For instance if someone tried to dread naturally and it started dreading at the tip instead of above the root then that could happen but eventually it would dread all the way up over time.

lol, it's not a problem but don't thank me.
Thank the guy that taught me. His dreads were below his ankles. :p I've done research for a year and a half and most of what I found was BS until I found that guy, he really helped me start dreading.

A lot of people say that dreads don't work with some people but I think it's the other way around. People don't work for dreads. Dreads take a lot of patience and a lot of dedication...most people just aren't up for that type of challenge.

Baby Dreads Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFgk19upp-g
(He lightly used a method that I don't recommend, he only used it on a few of his dreads but otherwise he went all natural and they're looking good.)

Between Baby Dreads And Teenage Dreads Video (Five Month Update)
http://www.youtube.com/user/TomasuSA#p/a/u/0/PWFI-5E8_lY
(His are looking good, kind of going slow because he had a tendency to run his hands through his hair and that slows down the dreading process)

Type in "Natural Dreadlocks" on google and look at the guy who is skateboarding.
Those are all natural and they're mature dreadlocks. I can't find a good video of teenage dreads and I can't get the pictures to save or upload. :confused:
Sorry but I hope you can get an idea of what they look like.

I'll try getting pics again tomorrow. Maybe the computer will work by then, lol.

ruffian
April 28th, 2010, 08:16 PM
A lot of people say that dreads don't work with some people but I think it's the other way around. People don't work for dreads. Dreads take a lot of patience and a lot of dedication...most people just aren't up for that type of challenge.

LOL...truer words have never been spoken. As a former dread-head, I am digging your idea to devote a thread exclusively to disspelling the myriad myths surrounding the most natural hairstyle in the world :)

I've got nothing to add ATM, (you're doing a pretty darn thorough job!) but I'll stay tuned and offer additional insight and support if need be. :rockerdud

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Thank ya! I appreciate it. :D

truepeacenik
April 28th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Nae, When I had hair wraps, embroidery floss wrapped around a section of hair, I had wonderous dreads atop them. My intentional dreads, started with backcombing and maintained for the infant stage with twist and rip (I did ccomb mine out 18 months later, but TR does anamazing amount of damage), not so wonderous. True, I was maintaing non-dreaded hair as well ( i suggest all or none) so it was interesting to see the dreads cannabalize the straight hair nearby.

I dried mine the way I was taught, bend over and bat the living crap out of them.
I did cut my dreadies open when they had to go, and aside from some lint they didn't swallow much.

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Nae, When I had hair wraps, embroidery floss wrapped around a section of hair, I had wonderous dreads atop them. My intentional dreads, started with backcombing and maintained for the infant stage with twist and rip (I did ccomb mine out 18 months later, but TR does anamazing amount of damage), not so wonderous. True, I was maintaing non-dreaded hair as well ( i suggest all or none) so it was interesting to see the dreads cannabalize the straight hair nearby.

I dried mine the way I was taught, bend over and bat the living crap out of them.
I did cut my dreadies open when they had to go, and aside from some lint they didn't swallow much.

From what I know, backcombing causes more damage than T&R. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion and since I have no experience with T&R I won't argue but I will add that you maintained them with it. Instead of using it as a foundation starter.

But I'd like to randomly add that you can do just about anything with dreads that you could do with normal straight hair. That is one major plus to having dreads. They are just as versatile as regularly combed hair. Happy cheese dance anyone? :cheese:(that is cheese right?) lol.

pennyroyal
April 28th, 2010, 11:18 PM
LOL...truer words have never been spoken. As a former dread-head, I am digging your idea to devote a thread exclusively to disspelling the myriad myths surrounding the most natural hairstyle in the world :)

I've got nothing to add ATM, (you're doing a pretty darn thorough job!) but I'll stay tuned and offer additional insight and support if need be. :rockerdud
i second that! i am also a former dreadie & i still adore them (&always will). :pegasus: this thread rocks!

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM
i second that! i am also a former dreadie & i still adore them (&always will). :pegasus: this thread rocks!

Glad that you like it! :D
I'm really happy to be doing this thread on this site because dreadlocks are the reason that I am growing long natural hair in the first place. So glad that you former dreadies aprove.
One a dreadhead always a dreadhead. :D

You grow em in your soul before you grow em on your head. :p

Flynn
April 28th, 2010, 11:50 PM
My question: do "real" dreadheads find "lox"/dreadfalls (with yarn/synth hair dreads, over undreaded hair) obnoxious? >_o

truepeacenik
April 28th, 2010, 11:50 PM
note I said through the infant stage. That means a week or so of TR, just to lock the roots into a mostly still place.
With uber slippery hair, it was needed.

Kuchen
April 29th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks for starting this thread, Grey. I have friends with absolutely stunning locs and I'm really sick of the myths.

Two icons: Toni Morrison (http://bluesmind.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/morrison1.jpg), and yes, though I know it's a wig, Tilda Swinton (http://www.ruggedelegantliving.com/a/images/Tilda.Swinton.Witch.Narnia.jpg) in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Those are magnificent crowns of hair.

Katze
April 29th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I am a fan of dreads and often wear my dread falls. Several friends of mine have lovely dreads.

My one friend is a teacher and has long partially bleached rather irregular (not 'tidy') dreads. She is small and wears glasses and dresses stylishly and the dreads just look really nice on her - fit her large personality. Our other friend is a musician and his hair dreads naturally, so he lets it.

This weekend I went to do henna at a bellydance festival with my full array of dread falls (what I have thus far) - blonde, blue/black, and felted wool in blue/green/brown, braided into my hair and falling down my back. It was fun and looked good, and for me is a nice way of dealing with my messy hair.

I most likely will never have real dreads myself but like them a lot anyway.

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 02:35 AM
My question: do "real" dreadheads find "lox"/dreadfalls (with yarn/synth hair dreads, over undreaded hair) obnoxious? >_o

lol, yes and no. People are people and there will all be those that dislike one form of dreads over the other. Dreads are very symbolic of natural hair and they are very personal and meaningful to the person who chooses to dread. With that said, I don't really mind if someone puts synth dreads in for a day or two if they're trying to decide on whether to grow dreads or not or if they're working up the courage. But if one was to wear these everyday for years I wouldn't understand why they wouldn't just naturally dread. Because if you only wear these synthetic dreads you're not gaining anything from dreading because no dreading is being done. But to me and I'll be completely honest about my opinion and I hope it doesn't offend anyone...I SOMETIMES dislike when people wear synth dreads because they're not gaining anything from dreading, there is an insight that you gain when you dread and I know it sounds silly but it's very true, this is why people with locks call it a journey. You have to throw away vanity and accept how your hair naturally looks until your locks form and start looking beautiful. So in a sense you throw away vanity and you gain beautiful locks. The problem with "salon" dreads and synth dreads is that "salon" dreads rush perfection and cause damage. Synthetic dreads are not real and you do not gain. But at the same time I like synth dreads because it shows that one person it envious to dreadlocks and I can smile at that. But in the end, it is very easy to tell the difference between synth dreads and real or natural dreads because synth dreads are made to look super tight and perfect while natural dreads form in unique and different ways. Hope this helps.

I also notice that if you do grow locks you can find beauty in other things that you didn't notice before. I know it sounds super silly and what not but I'm speaking from experience. I wanted locks for the hairstyle at first but I sure am glad that I went the natural route because it was a truly enlightening. Sorry if I become overly passionate about dreads from time to time but dreads deserve the love, just like beautiful long straight hair does. :p

note I said through the infant stage. That means a week or so of TR, just to lock the roots into a mostly still place.
With uber slippery hair, it was needed.

Fair enough but you could have used sea salt to help dry out the hair so that the knots wouldn't have slipped out as much. :p

Thanks for starting this thread, Grey. I have friends with absolutely stunning locs and I'm really sick of the myths.

Two icons: Toni Morrison (http://bluesmind.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/morrison1.jpg), and yes, though I know it's a wig, Tilda Swinton (http://www.ruggedelegantliving.com/a/images/Tilda.Swinton.Witch.Narnia.jpg) in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Those are magnificent crowns of hair.

No, thank you for posting! :p

I am a fan of dreads and often wear my dread falls. Several friends of mine have lovely dreads.

My one friend is a teacher and has long partially bleached rather irregular (not 'tidy') dreads. She is small and wears glasses and dresses stylishly and the dreads just look really nice on her - fit her large personality. Our other friend is a musician and his hair dreads naturally, so he lets it.

This weekend I went to do henna at a bellydance festival with my full array of dread falls (what I have thus far) - blonde, blue/black, and felted wool in blue/green/brown, braided into my hair and falling down my back. It was fun and looked good, and for me is a nice way of dealing with my messy hair.

I most likely will never have real dreads myself but like them a lot anyway.

All hair dreads naturally. ;)
I don't recommend bleaching dreads but I do like all natural colors.
I like messy hair, it's what dreads fast. ;)
Glad to hear that you love the locks. Dreads are fascinating.

Nae
April 29th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Okay, more questions. How long on average do they take to dry? I know it is different for different thicknesses but I was wondering if it would be comparable to braided hair or something as far as drying time.

I have also heard stories about them breaking off. I have seen people say, "those are just rotting inside and will break." Which sounds like an awfully big assumption to me. What would cause dreads to break like that? Are the roots weakened somehow? Obviously these healthier ones like the picture of the guy on the skateboard you referenced earlier don't break off or they couldn't be that long. That is my logic in action! Super Logic Nae, dats me!!! :D

I was suprised to see the video of the "baby" dreads. Somehow I wouldn't have equated that look with dreadlocks, it just looked like a bad case of bed head to my untrained eye. It is so interesting that that is how they start!! Fascinating what our hair can do! Now I know!:)

I love learning stuff. Now if I hear nasty comments about dreads I will feel more confident about dispelling them!

truepeacenik
April 29th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I fully respect the folks who do the full natural route.
Aside from really bad practices (wax), I've never understood why some dreadies have to run others down over how they started their journey.
I see it with vegetarians/ vegans, Rainbows, Deadheads/ jamband heads and some religious groups.
I've helped start many a head of dreads. I am picky about who and why, but not how they will maintain them.

Good note about salt water. I learned that trick too late. It was the 90s, and for me, pre-
Internet.
It works wonders on fine Caucasian hair, if anyone is inspired by the thread.

Ravenwaves 88
April 29th, 2010, 04:04 PM
OMG I've been reading this thread all day and looking at peoples pics of dreads and this girl on Flickr has the cutest hair. Straight bangs and dreads on the rest. Makes me want some. DH is protesting the idea....ha ha

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacmichele/4461866935/in/set-72157610530810869/

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Okay, more questions. How long on average do they take to dry? I know it is different for different thicknesses but I was wondering if it would be comparable to braided hair or something as far as drying time.

I have also heard stories about them breaking off. I have seen people say, "those are just rotting inside and will break." Which sounds like an awfully big assumption to me. What would cause dreads to break like that? Are the roots weakened somehow? Obviously these healthier ones like the picture of the guy on the skateboard you referenced earlier don't break off or they couldn't be that long. That is my logic in action! Super Logic Nae, dats me!!! :D

I was suprised to see the video of the "baby" dreads. Somehow I wouldn't have equated that look with dreadlocks, it just looked like a bad case of bed head to my untrained eye. It is so interesting that that is how they start!! Fascinating what our hair can do! Now I know!:)

I love learning stuff. Now if I hear nasty comments about dreads I will feel more confident about dispelling them!

If I had to guess I would say about the same time as braided hair. The thing about dreads is that the water slips out through the bottom of the core and if the tips are blunted then the water is trapped inside so it takes even longer to dry. I really can't answer this question because it is different for everyone. It also depends on heat and humidity, where you live and what not...
I like to stand by our fire so that it goes by faster.
I really depends but I've seen people who had fast drying hair take around two hours, some people take six. Really it just depends.

Well different maintenance techniques weaken the dreads. You do something one day and then the next day you see the same loose hair so you think, "Oh I gotta fix that." So you start trying to maintain the dreads and it weakens them over time. The crotchet hook weakens dreads like that because it breaks hairs. Root flipping/interlocking severely weakens dreads. These are a few of the reasons that dreads fall off. The best way to maintain dreads is by putting 100% aloe in the hair and smoothing down the fuzzies.
Thinner dreads are normally weaker as well.
What's interesting about dreads though is that they're very strong overall and they can take a lot of abuse but day to day crotchet maintenance is not one of em. Another interesting fact is if they fall off...more grow in it's place. Sometimes a LOT more.

lol, yes. Baby dreads form very quickly and if you wake up one morning you might actually find one and not realize that it is in fact a baby dread. If you're ever interested in getting dreads yourself then you could always start with a partial dread.

I can tell you how to help a partial dread form without getting a whole head of dreadies. :p

I fully respect the folks who do the full natural route.
Aside from really bad practices (wax), I've never understood why some dreadies have to run others down over how they started their journey.
I see it with vegetarians/ vegans, Rainbows, Deadheads/ jamband heads and some religious groups.
I've helped start many a head of dreads. I am picky about who and why, but not how they will maintain them.

Good note about salt water. I learned that trick too late. It was the 90s, and for me, pre-
Internet.
It works wonders on fine Caucasian hair, if anyone is inspired by the thread.

If you feel that I'm trying to run down other methods, I am not. I stated that I would actually teach members the other methods even though I don't approve of them. I just find the natural route the most enlightening and the most healthy. I've had friends that did all different types of routes and every time we talk about dreads they always say "If I ever cut this set grew another set I would definitely go natural." So for that reason I recommend it.

I dislike other methods because I feel like it is why dreads have a bad name. A ton of teenage kids think dreads look kool so they get instant-dreads from people like Johnny Clean from dreadheadHq. Then they go around with a bunch of wax in their hair, lint and dirt sticks to the wax and then all of a sudden everyone thinks dreads are dirty and vile. The kids do it to look "kool" and different.
Dreadlocks are a symbol of many different and powerful things but when a couple kids get them put in, their thought process is "I'm kool, I'm different and look at me." It's just a sign of vanity.

And someone chose to argue with me about that in another thread and it seems like they'll probably win because I am very opinionated when it comes to dreadlocks and everyone else here just thinks of dreadlocks as another hair style because they have had hair all their life. I have kept my head shaved for many years.
Because I wanted to wait to get dreads, I had to wait until I felt like dreads meant more than me than just some stupid fad.

OMG I've been reading this thread all day and looking at peoples pics of dreads and this girl on Flickr has the cutest hair. Straight bangs and dreads on the rest. Makes me want some. DH is protesting the idea....ha ha

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacmichele/4461866935/in/set-72157610530810869/

lol, those aren't natural but they are definitely cute.
I've seen a couple girls with natural dreads and bangs just like that.
I like that style. :D

endtransmission
April 29th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I've always wanted dreads but I'm too scared to actually get them. Mad respect.

Does anybody have any advice on how to start dreading incredibly thin caucasian hair? My friend is thinking of getting dreads but we're not sure if it would work with her hair.

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I've always wanted dreads but I'm too scared to actually get them. Mad respect.

Does anybody have any advice on how to start dreading incredibly thin caucasian hair? My friend is thinking of getting dreads but we're not sure if it would work with her hair.

Naturally dread.

First throw away all her brushes, combs, and all her hair care stuff.
Buy a bottle of Dr. Bronners magic soap, buy a bag of sea salt, buy baking soda, buy apple cider vinegar, and finally buy a wool tam.

Dilute the Dr. Bronners soap 1 part Dr. B's soap to 12 parts water. Tell her to wash her hair 1-4 times a week with that soap dilution. Tell her to put a pinch or two of sea salt in a squirt bottle and spray it on twice a day BUT ONLY on the days that she washes her hair. Tell her to put some of the baking soda in water and wash with that twice a month. On the days that she washes with baking soda tell her to do a apple cider vinegar rinse. Also tell her to wear a 100% wool tam while she sleeps. One last thing, tell her don't touch her hair. She needs to scrub her scalp in the shower but ignore her hair. It will get clean without her touching it too much.
She will have natural baby dreads within a few weeks.

Good luck! And if you have any questions then let me know.

If you want another dread method I'll also help with that but like I said a few times before, I don't recommend others.

SimplyViki
April 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
lol, those aren't natural but they are definitely cute.
I've seen a couple girls with natural dreads and bangs just like that.
I like that style. :D
Are you sure? According to her Flickr page, they look that way because she just rounded the tips. They're apparently two years old now, and this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacmichele/3528128163/) is what they looked like when she started. I'm not sure what you're saying qualifies as natural, though - I think she backcombed (a guess), so if that makes them not natural, or if the rounding of the tips makes them not natural... :shrug: I'm just curious what it is that makes them not natural, really.

ETA: Nope, not two years old, sorry - 11 months. Thought I saw two years somewhere.

ETA2: Ah, here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacmichele/4455230500/)'s where I saw two years. Apparently she's had several of the locks for two years, but she did the rest almost one year ago.

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Are you sure? According to her Flickr page, they look that way because she just rounded the tips. They're apparently two years old now, and this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacmichele/3528128163/) is what they looked like when she started. I'm not sure what you're saying qualifies as natural, though - I think she backcombed (a guess), so if that makes them not natural, or if the rounding of the tips makes them not natural... :shrug: I'm just curious what it is that makes them not natural, really.

ETA: Nope, not two years old, sorry - 11 months. Thought I saw two years somewhere.

I use the word natural because I don't like the term neglect. By natural I mean they naturally formed locks with little to no assistance. I consider backcombing unnatural. T&R I consider fairly natural because it's assistance is with hands and not a foreign object. Of course, unnatural dreads can become naturalized. Say for instance someone didn't know how to naturally dread and they thought backcombing, using wax and using a crotchet were the only way to get them. Then they see that the wax is making the hair dirty and they see the weakness in a few of their dreads well they can stop doing those things and the dreads can become naturalized and once I get my computer to start working I will show you a timeline of a buddy of mine. He did the waxing and what not and he stopped and his dreading started becoming natural. But yes, I'm sure. Hers look like she T&Red to start but they also look like she used a crotchet hook. I'm looking through her pictures right now and her dreads look good but too neat for only 11 months although she might have had good dread hair. The blunted tips are definitely a negative though, lol. Blunted tips are highly over rated. I think she T&Red to start and then used a crotchet hook to maintain them. Ah, yeah. I just looked through her pictures and she does maintain them. Palm rolling. Palm rolling doesn't really do anything except make the look neat for ten minutes and if done in excess it can't really hurt thin hair. But to be honest, hers look really good for someone who did maintenance. But Nae if you look at her five month update you can see what teenage dreads and their loops look like! Great picture.
I don't want it to sound like I'm talking down on her dreads. They do look really nice but she has done too much maintenance IMO. They should be a little messier, a little thicker, and a little bit less uniform. But otherwise she has good looking locks.

The maintenance will probably hurt her dreads in the long run with them being so thin and all.

ETA2: Ah, here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacmichele/4455230500/)'s where I saw two years. Apparently she's had several of the locks for two years, but she did the rest almost one year ago.

Yeah, her mature ones look great.
A little over maintained but they're looking good! ;)

The thing about that is that if she didn't maintain them then they probably would have turned out a little bit thicker and healthier.
Although albeit a bit messier as well.

Ravenwaves 88
April 29th, 2010, 05:26 PM
If you do natural dread will it all form into one or two big chunks? I'd be afraid that they would form in a really awkward way. Just very curious.

SimplyViki
April 29th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Fascinating. I don't think I'd ever grow dreads (just a little tangle drives me batty, LOL), but they're very interesting to look at and read about.

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 05:40 PM
If you do natural dread will it all form into one or two big chunks? I'd be afraid that they would form in a really awkward way. Just very curious.

One thing that I do forget to mention, I'll put it in big and bold so it doesn't go unnoticed, lol.

SEPARATION!

This is the only maintenance that I recommend besides washing of course. If you start dreading you will see sections start to form. This is when you need to start separating. You pull apart the dreads that are forming into bigger chunks. That's about all you do, it doesn't take long and it doesn't hurt unless you let it get out of hand. Like I said before though, thin dreads can become weak after years and years of abuse so as dreads mature they get thicker and it's best to let them get about an inch in diameter if you plan on dreading for a lifetime. Separating is best done after washing and after waking up, it's easy maintenance that can be done idly. You will have to separate the entire time that you dread. So if you have dreads for 10 years you will be separating for 10 years. Dreads that combine are called congos. A lot of dread heads really like congos so there is nothing wrong with it unless you begin to get a uni-dread. There is nothing wrong with having a uni-dread either but people will be more judgmental than even before.
My dreads formed on the thinnish side with a few fatties here and there, I love the fatties as much as the others. Hoping to get a few congos after a while and I'll love those as well.

slz
April 29th, 2010, 05:55 PM
They should be a little messier, a little thicker, and a little bit less uniform.
Well that's only from your point of view. Some people might prefer a less messy, more uniform look. It's not "better" or "worse" intrinsically.

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Well that's only from your point of view. Some people might prefer a less messy, more uniform look. It's not "better" or "worse" intrinsically.

It's not my point of view. You might PREFER more controlled and tame dreads from a vain point of view but messier really is BETTER for dreads. The messier they are the faster that they dread.

But as dreads become mature they become less messy.
It's a progressive thing. Forcing dreads to be neat in early stages causes the dreading process to slow down.

Ravenwaves 88
April 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Oh to have long flowing locks that you never have to put up.....let the wind blow as it may! This is such a cool idea but I wonder how well it would translate into a corporate environment? Probably not well.....this would probably be the biggest set back as far as really thinking hard about doing it later on.

ETA:
I have another question. We shed lots of hairs a day......what happens to that process when you have dreads? are the shed hairs just adding to the thickness?

GlassEyes
April 29th, 2010, 06:42 PM
It's not my point of view. You might PREFER more controlled and tame dreads from a vain point of view but messier really is BETTER for dreads. The messier they are the faster that they dread.

But as dreads become mature they become less messy.
It's a progressive thing. Forcing dreads to be neat in early stages causes the dreading process to slow down.
But if that's the look they want, and the one they prefer, then that's what they're going to have to do. Might be harder, but whatever.

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Oh to have long flowing locks that you never have to put up.....let the wind blow as it may! This is such a cool idea but I wonder how well it would translate into a corporate environment? Probably not well.....this would probably be the biggest set back as far as really thinking hard about doing it later on.

That part of growing locks is very amazing.
It's a very enlightening experience.
The corporate world...well yes and no, it can be a problem.
First off, if someone won't hire you because of your hair then I wouldn't want to work. You do have to sell yourself more. Make yourself more appealing personality wise than you would if you had straight hair since there are so many myths. But they can't decline you a job because of dreads and they can't discriminate.
Some people just don't know what locks really are and you have to sometimes explain this to them.

I have another question. We shed lots of hairs a day......what happens to that process when you have dreads? are the shed hairs just adding to the thickness?

Yes, normal hair sheds 50-150 hairs a day. (I think that's the right number). Any shed hair just adds to the lock and stays in place where it is tightly knotted and just adds to the lock.
Over time locks do get thicker but not much thicker after they cross into the mature stage unless you let them congo.

But if that's the look they want, and the one they prefer, then that's what they're going to have to do. Might be harder, but whatever.

Everyone is free to do whatever they wish with their hair.
Decorating dreads with beads actually speeds up the process while making the hair look cared for. While using a crotchet hook may make the hair look tidy it damages the locks and breaks hairs.

I look at it as...do you love the hair that you have or...
Do you want to control it?

And the thing is that you said it "might be harder."
It isn't using a crotchet hook is easy and it takes a very, very long time. It is for people who want to look good right away and not earn it. Growing dreadlocks for years to achieve the perfect healthy, nice, beautiful locks that people love is much harder than forcing your hair to look like something it's not.

I'm sorry if what I say is harsh in any way but I feel it's necessary to open minds to natural dreading and to forget about total control.

Flynn
April 29th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Grey, can you accept that natural and aided/artificially maintained/whatever you want to call them dreads are completely different things, grown and maintained for completely different reasons, and should not be compared, because the whole point of them is, simply, entirely different? So, really, it's a bit like comparing braids to natural dreads, the intentions are so mismatched?

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Grey, can you accept that natural and aided/artificially maintained/whatever you want to call them dreads are completely different things, grown and maintained for completely different reasons, and should not be compared, because the whole point of them is, simply, entirely different? So, really, it's a bit like comparing braids to natural dreads, the intentions are so mismatched?

Yes, I accept that but I try to separate the two.

One should be called something other than dreadlocks, lol.
I'm trying to make sure everyone knows the difference between the two. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I know you and a few others are getting agitated with me and I'm sorry. I'm just trying to show people the difference, not offend others.

Flynn
April 29th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Yes, I accept that but I try to separate the two.

One should be called something other than dreadlocks, lol.
I'm trying to make sure everyone knows the difference between the two. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I know you and a few others are getting agitated with me and I'm sorry. I'm just trying to show people the difference, not offend others.

Okay, cool.

How you are coming across from my point of view is that you are saying artificially maintained dreads are inherently inferior, pure aesthetics and not the journey is not a valid reason for having dreads in any form, and natural dreads of the form you recommend and all the connotations that come with them are the only way to go... but at the same time, I was thinking that couldn't really be what you meant.

It might help if this thread all tried to be a bit more explicit in it's being about natural dreads, and specifically not about aesthetically-selected artificially maintained ones, which are a different beast entirely.

Hahaha, they are so different that they should have different names!

ETA: Going back and re-reading all your posts, mentally substituting "natural dreads" for dreads, it suddenly all makes perfectly good sense. I don't think anyone can really argue the way people have been with that clarification.

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Okay, cool.

How you are coming across from my point of view is that you are saying artificially maintained dreads are inherently inferior, pure aesthetics and not the journey is not a valid reason for having dreads in any form, and natural dreads of the form you recommend and all the connotations that come with them are the only way to go... but at the same time, I was thinking that couldn't really be what you meant.

It might help if this thread all tried to be a bit more explicit in it's being about natural dreads, and specifically not about aesthetically-selected artificially maintained ones, which are a different beast entirely.

Hahaha, they are so different that they should have different names!

ETA: Going back and re-reading all your posts, mentally substituting "natural dreads" for dreads, it suddenly all makes perfectly good sense. I don't think anyone can really argue the way people have been with that clarification.

They're not necessarily inferior. It's good for people to have artificial dreads. It's good to see people who want dreadlocks but aren't up to growing them so it's a good thing in a flattery type of way. But I greatly dislike dreads that are dirty, unhealthy, or highly damaged because they do give natural locks a very bad name.
I prefer people to choose the natural way because it is a very enlightening thing like I said before. It's very satisfying.

Is there anyway I can change the name of the thread? lol.
I would put something along the lines of "Dreadlocks The Truth(Focusing on Natural Dreadlocks) lol, maybe that would suit it better. Any admins willing to change it for me? :p

TrudieCat
April 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Grey, I love the idea of dreadlocks as a journey that you can't control, or can only partially control, and seeing beauty come from the process... cause really, that seems to be what life is like whether I like it or not. :) Your description of transitioning into dreads and encouraging them to mature and seeing how they develop reminds me a little of gardening, in that there is only so much you can control, and that you are encouraging a natural process without forcing it. But you can make the soil of a garden most amenable to a certain kind of growth, and make it as healthy as possible, and things will happen as your plants grow that can be very exciting and surprising. It also makes me think of process art. I definitely think that there are many ways to consider hair as an extension of personal philosophy, and I see that in this thread.

I'm a minor control freak and I definitely have some major hair vanity, wanting it to be a little bit like its wavy crazy self but in a way that seems controlled too. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it's how I feel these days. I respect the philosophy that cultivates a different direction/outlook, even though it's not how I do things right now. Very interesting stuff....

Flynn
April 29th, 2010, 07:48 PM
They're not necessarily inferior. It's good for people to have artificial dreads. It's good to see people who want dreadlocks but aren't up to growing them so it's a good thing in a flattery type of way. But I greatly dislike dreads that are dirty, unhealthy, or highly damaged because they do give natural locks a very bad name.
I prefer people to choose the natural way because it is a very enlightening thing like I said before. It's very satisfying.

Is there anyway I can change the name of the thread? lol.
I would put something along the lines of "Dreadlocks The Truth(Focusing on Natural Dreadlocks) lol, maybe that would suit it better. Any admins willing to change it for me? :p

I don't know if you can change the title, but if you do want to keep it really clear, you can edit the content of your first post, I guess...

walterSCAN
April 29th, 2010, 08:19 PM
How about 'The Truth About Natural Dreadlocks' ?

To me, that would be clearer...

ETA--> If you report your first post and in the comment box say that you would like the title changed for clarification, the mods are likely to fix it for you. They probably won't see that you want to change it though, if you don't use the report button.

princessp
April 29th, 2010, 08:52 PM
This is an interesting thread, thanks for starting it.

Fractalsofhair
April 29th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Just curious, what is the maximum amount of time before you'd expect to see results from not combing? I once went a week without combing my hair for a school project(my regular shampoo is a soap shampoo.), and I barely had any actual tangles when I was done, no more than what I'd have in a normal day, though slightly more hair was shed when I combed it out. A lot of other people have the same issue with their hair, even if they're using a natural product.

DARKMARTIAN
April 29th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I thought about dreading my hair.....just dont think I can bring myself to do it though....:o

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Grey, I love the idea of dreadlocks as a journey that you can't control, or can only partially control, and seeing beauty come from the process... cause really, that seems to be what life is like whether I like it or not. :) Your description of transitioning into dreads and encouraging them to mature and seeing how they develop reminds me a little of gardening, in that there is only so much you can control, and that you are encouraging a natural process without forcing it. But you can make the soil of a garden most amenable to a certain kind of growth, and make it as healthy as possible, and things will happen as your plants grow that can be very exciting and surprising. It also makes me think of process art. I definitely think that there are many ways to consider hair as an extension of personal philosophy, and I see that in this thread.

I'm a minor control freak and I definitely have some major hair vanity, wanting it to be a little bit like its wavy crazy self but in a way that seems controlled too. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it's how I feel these days. I respect the philosophy that cultivates a different direction/outlook, even though it's not how I do things right now. Very interesting stuff....

That's a great comparison and I'm glad that you understand the philosophy! Maybe one day you will decide it is your time to dread!:D

How about 'The Truth About Natural Dreadlocks' ?

To me, that would be clearer...

ETA--> If you report your first post and in the comment box say that you would like the title changed for clarification, the mods are likely to fix it for you. They probably won't see that you want to change it though, if you don't use the report button.

Will do, thanks!

This is an interesting thread, thanks for starting it.

No problem. :D Thanks for posting.

Just curious, what is the maximum amount of time before you'd expect to see results from not combing? I once went a week without combing my hair for a school project(my regular shampoo is a soap shampoo.), and I barely had any actual tangles when I was done, no more than what I'd have in a normal day, though slightly more hair was shed when I combed it out. A lot of other people have the same issue with their hair, even if they're using a natural product.

It's different for everyone. Some people just dread faster.
Some people actually notice that they can get a baby dread or two over night if they're not careful. There is also a lot of variables like soap, shampoo, how often you touch your hair. Many things come into play. But most people should see results after at least a month of not combing. Another big thing is length. Hair under six inches tends to dread slower but it sections itself better for some reason. Wearing a wool tam while you're asleep actually helps hair dread faster as well especially for people with shorter hair.

I thought about dreading my hair.....just dont think I can bring myself to do it though....:o

Maybe one day you will realize that it is time. :p

GlassEyes
April 30th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Everyone is free to do whatever they wish with their hair.
Decorating dreads with beads actually speeds up the process while making the hair look cared for. While using a crotchet hook may make the hair look tidy it damages the locks and breaks hairs.

I look at it as...do you love the hair that you have or...
Do you want to control it?

And the thing is that you said it "might be harder."
It isn't using a crotchet hook is easy and it takes a very, very long time. It is for people who want to look good right away and not earn it. Growing dreadlocks for years to achieve the perfect healthy, nice, beautiful locks that people love is much harder than forcing your hair to look like something it's not.

I'm sorry if what I say is harsh in any way but I feel it's necessary to open minds to natural dreading and to forget about total control.
...dreading is forcing hair to be something that it's not, at it's core. Or am I wrong in thinking that? These days, it's just a style of preference--it's not really all that natural. Yes, hair dreads when it's uncombed, but you still have to shape them if you don't want a block of hair.

And people can love neater dreads just as much as messier ones. And, honestly, your 'enlightening' just serves to completely alienate people who do prefer the 'neater' ones, myself included.

Also, as far as health goes--I'm not entirely sure most people are concerned with the health of dreads as long as they don't break off. They're essentially matted hair.

earthymamawitch
April 30th, 2010, 06:52 AM
i don't know how i missed this thread, seeing as i have dreads!

one great resource for dread information on both "natural" and "maintained" dreadlocks is http://www.dreadlocktruth.com the folks there are fantastic and friendly and helpful, they are very determined to dispel all of the negative connotations of dreads as well and help you have the happiest, healthiest dreads possible no matter what type you have.

Jenn

joiekimochi
April 30th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Can my straight and fine and very thin Asian hair be dreaded naturally? My other Asian friends who have dreads all either have had their hair permed to become frizzy and coarse, or already have coarse and wavy hair naturally. Even then, I think all of them are salon-dreaded.

Grey
April 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM
...dreading is forcing hair to be something that it's not, at it's core. Or am I wrong in thinking that? These days, it's just a style of preference--it's not really all that natural. Yes, hair dreads when it's uncombed, but you still have to shape them if you don't want a block of hair.

And people can love neater dreads just as much as messier ones. And, honestly, your 'enlightening' just serves to completely alienate people who do prefer the 'neater' ones, myself included.

Also, as far as health goes--I'm not entirely sure most people are concerned with the health of dreads as long as they don't break off. They're essentially matted hair.

No, dreading is completely natural and is in no way forced.
You don't have to "shape" them. You separate them.

Yeah, I've been told that most people can't get over the fact that I am opinionated and so they say "screw this method" just because they don't like my messy dreads or how I hold them higher than fake dreads. What do I say to that? You like dreadlocks for the wrong reason and you're hating them for the wrong reasons too.

i don't know how i missed this thread, seeing as i have dreads!

one great resource for dread information on both "natural" and "maintained" dreadlocks is http://www.dreadlocktruth.com the folks there are fantastic and friendly and helpful, they are very determined to dispel all of the negative connotations of dreads as well and help you have the happiest, healthiest dreads possible no matter what type you have.

Jenn

Yeah, that site is pretty good. I can think of one that is better.

Can my straight and fine and very thin Asian hair be dreaded naturally? My other Asian friends who have dreads all either have had their hair permed to become frizzy and coarse, or already have coarse and wavy hair naturally. Even then, I think all of them are salon-dreaded.

Yes, it can. Although it might take a little longer to dread naturally.

The mods feel as if my thread doesn't need the name to be changed and I got the feeling that they are aggravated with me (like most of the members) so I think I'm just going to leave the forums.

It's been fun. If you have questions just join the site mentioned above and good luck.
Sorry, that I can't be of anymore help.

GlassEyes
April 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I hate dreads.

Thank you for informing me of what I do and do not like. I'll be sure to impregnate my brain with this information.

Arctic_Mama
April 30th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Well that is your choice, we tried to explain to you where our perspectives came from and where we were being rubbed the wrong way, repeatedly, by your tone and delivery.

We cannot make you change your delivery anymore than you can make us change our minds... This is an exchange of ideas and a discussion, not a lecture and not gospel. Would you rather have fewer people liking ANY dreads at all, because they aren't purists? That's a very narrow way to view things and exactly what is rubbing so many members the wrong way.

As I stated plainly in the other thread, you can believe YOU are right, but that doesn't have to translate to stating that everyone else is wrong. There can be strong opinions and friendly, open discussion, they are not mutually exclusive if your primary goal is to respect those you are speaking with.

Grey
April 30th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I hate dreads.

Thank you for informing me of what I do and do not like. I'll be sure to impregnate my brain with this information.

Dreads hate you because you're a vain and judgmental whore. ;)

Capybara
April 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM
:cheese: Yum ...

:silly: :luke: :taz: :horse:

Not to digress entirely, I've heard that some people with straighter hair types put various substances in their hair - peanut butter, honey - to make them dread faster. Is this beneficial?

kimi
April 30th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I've learned a lot of things here in this thread. I found it interesting and it dispelled a lot of myths that I personally believed. So, I found it helpful, myself.

jaine
April 30th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I think we need some pictures of Grey's dreads! :drama:

Flaxen
May 1st, 2010, 01:40 PM
Since the OP has left the community, this thread is closed. Feel free to discuss dreads in one of the other threads we have about them. :flower: