PDA

View Full Version : More ideas for wearing APL hair?

ArienEllariel
April 28th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I'm at an impasse. I'm bored to death with my hair. I can french braid it, dutch braid it, cinnabun it (barely), and pony it. Rope braids look a little funny at this length and most other braiding variations are not possible right now. -.- What else is there to do with it?? :confused:

My hair is about 21" or so. I've tried the Pencil Bun and still can't do that.. just not enough hair. Messy buns are beyond me.. again, doesn't seem that I have enough hair. I would prefer suggestions that get my hair out of my face for the most part. It's starting to get pretty warm down here.

Meni
April 28th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Just vary with the skills you already have!

Two French braids instead of one

Half up hairstyles: half up with a braid, half up with a bun (you can do new types of buns this way)

Use multiple hair toys to create a hairdo, for example 2 halfups with flexis. Or using elastics all through your hair. One style I like creates a "French braid effect" (adding extra hair) using elastics. What I do is an elastic at half up, another one halfway down my head adding the extra hair, another one at the base of my neck (used all the hair now) and then putting in elastics in the tail at an equal distance until I get the bottom. It is easy and quick, and leaves more length in the tail than a French braid. (I hope the description is clear enough).

And I bet you can think of some more yourself :)

manderly
April 28th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Peacock twist and french twists are great at this length! Gibson tucks are also wonderful :)

If you're coordinated, you can attempt the manderly knot in my siggy, but I know it's not a favorite around here (though it works great at your length) :)

Bast
April 28th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Sock buns are one of my go-to favorites. I don't even used pony tail holders sometimes - just feed the hair through the sock and tie it with a scarf.

Pixna
April 28th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I'm able to do a variety of buns, and my hair is about your length. The key is to figure out how to adapt them. For example, instead of wrapping the hair around your hand, wrap it around a couple of fingers. That single tip should open up a world of bun styles for you. As your hair grows, you will need to adapt them again, such as using three fingers rather than two, until you finally have enough length to do them the "real" way. Don't let your length deter you -- there's a LOT we can do with what we have, as long as we can get a little creative. :D

Nae
April 28th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I am just a few inches shorter than you with some weird layers but I usually wear my hair up now, cuz it bugs me. I do a french twist then put a ketylo hair stick through it and it holds really, really well. I am LOVING my ketylos at this length. The corkscrew effect makes them hold really well.

I can also use my liliputian hair fork from Grahtoe studios in a french twist sorta thing. I still need bobby pins here and there in case a layer works out but it is pretty good. I am hoping I will be able to do the french braids in another inch or so, the layers are still defeating me on that.

I also like sock buns but my layers make them messy and I worry that the sock can be seen by others but then again, who cares? No one has ever said anything.

So good luck! We can get through this! I have faith in you!:cheese:

ArienEllariel
April 28th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the ideas all! I was inspired by Pixna and went out to try the Pencil Bun again.. it works!! I have to use two fingers instead of my whole hand, but it works! :D I'm very happy.

Thank you all again! I'll be trying out different updos and buns now to see if I can get any others to work for me. :D

Pixna
April 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM
ArienEllariel, I'm so happy it worked for you! That's my secret tip, so shhhhh -- don't tell anyone! :lipssealed: ;)

The Pencil Bun is my favorite. I adapt it in a lot of ways. Let me know what else you try that works for you!

EtherealOde
April 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Most of my favorites involve hairsticks right now so I don't have to use elastics at all. And I am enjoying the everyday ease of most hairstick styles, the few I use are all ready to go in a matter of seconds. I looooove that. :heart:

countryhopper
April 28th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I'm just shy of APL, but here are my go-to styles:

*single or double lace braids
*french braids
*dutch braids
*french rope braids
*herringbone braids
*rope braids (even though they kind of stick out)
*peacock twists (with or without accent braids, like lace or rope)
*french twists
* Gibson tucks
*Gibson flip (did I make up that name? :D Anyhow, topsy tail hair, and flip up the tail and clip it up as if it were a peacock twist)
* two cinnabuns held together on one stick (vertical buns or horizontal)
*ballerina buns
*Edwardian twist
*Summer flower bun (instructions in the article section)
*cheater's split bun (article section)

Ok, that's all I can think of now!! Hope that adds to your collection!