PDA

View Full Version : Color Advice?

tcheney91
April 28th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Hey everyone! I need some color advice. I'm thinking about dyeing my hair with henna, but I can't decide if red would be a good color for my skin tone! I'm very pale with a strong pink undertone. Here is a washed out but point-illustrating picture. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5202&pictureid=70600
As you can see, I'm very "cool" toned. Here is another picture where I'm not as washed out, but it's hard to see all my face.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5202&pictureid=70599
So, what do you all think? Would I be able to pull off a red? I don't think orangy-red would be a good idea AT ALL, but maybe a richer, more "red-y" red. Uhg, I'm making no sense. Oh, and here's a picture of my current hair color, so you can see what I'd be starting with.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5202&pictureid=70598
Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much, you guys and gals rock my socks!

manderly
April 28th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Honestly I wouldn't do it. I don't think the henna would flatter you and I think your blonde looks quite nice.

Henna is a hard beast, and is not very flattering for most. When it works, it works, but that's just not often the case, and you see the threads pop up all the time with people trying to get rid of it. Waaaaaay to permanent to be a color you're unsure of.

My :twocents:

Marjolein
April 28th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Actually, I think a copper colour would look great on you! So I made your hair and eyebrows a bit more coppery in Photoshop (hope you don't mind I did that). A link to the photo is in a PM.

TawnyRoots
April 28th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Your colouring is very very similar to mine, and I really suit red! Red will really make your eyes pop out (in a good way!). I would go for a semi-permanent in a henna type colour (or copper as suggested) and see if you like it first. Copper was the best colour on me so it's worth a shot. And if you don't like it, you can cover with dark brown, which would look really lovely. I personally wouldn't use henna, as it is a more orangy tone (not on everyone though), and is way too permanent to take risks with (IMHO).

Addy
April 28th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Your current color is beautiful. If it ain't broke... don't fix it! ;)

dropinthebucket
April 28th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Can you go to a wig store and try some on? I was so sure I'd love the red of henna, i thought for sure I'd get a cool red, since I'm cool-toned - didn't happen. On my ash blonde/light brown hair, i got a weird, warm mud-red. Hard to fix once it's in there, too. I *love* henna on people who get great colours that suit them! totally envious. But be sure first - try some red hair shades on, then decide. (the computer programs don't get the shades right, btw - best to go in to a store and see the colours *on you*). best luck.
p.s. case study: the clash between the warm/orange-toned henna shade i got and the cool brights that look good on me is illustrated in my avatar pic!

kwaniesiam
April 28th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Henna is far too permanent and your hair too lovely to risk ruining it if you aren't happy with the outcome. Try a weak henna gloss if you want some reddish tones in your hair.

that said, I think henna would suit you beautifully. The question is whether you'd be happy with it or not.

Maddy25
April 28th, 2010, 06:22 AM
It's all what makes you happy :) I use henna/cassia to get a copper colour and I am very pale with very pinkish skin and I think it suits me better than anything. From the first photo I would say it would look beautiful on you but your real colour is lovely also :flower: Whatever you feel is more what 'you' want I think you should do :D

VitaR86
April 28th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Your current color is beautiful. If it ain't broke... don't fix it! ;)
Agreed! Don't mess with a good thing.

FrannyG
April 28th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I would be extremely wary of henna with your pink undertones. While some people manage to get a cool shade with henna, so often the results are very warm. Any orangey shade would not be for you.

Henna is permanent. Completely permanent. It is a commitment. The only way to remove it is with bleach or a lot of peroxide, which is equally damaging.

We've seen members here have to cut off most of their hair after removing henna.

If you really feel the need to go with henna, please do strand tests first, and let them oxidize for a few days. Put the tested strands next to your face to see if the colour works for you or against you.

Please read the henna thread. There is a lot of information there and a lot of anecdotes from henna users.

I think your hair is lovely as it is. :blossom:

UP Lisa
April 28th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Thsi is exactly why I am about to use a demi-permanent dye on my hair rather than henna. I also have a very pink/cool complexion, and am too afraid of anything orangy. Not ready for something that permanent. I'm scared enough about what the color I'm going to use will look like on me. The good thing is that it will wash out.

spidermom
April 28th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Your hair is gorgeous as it is, and if it were me, I wouldn't risk it. I got flaming orange-red when I tried henna; it was hideous! It did calm down to more brick-red after awhile, but bleh! I grew it out, cut it off.

Try a temporary red first, see how you like it. Manic Panic/Punky/Special Effects has several shades of red you could try; to be closest to henna, get one with a hint of orange.

Nightshade
April 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I vote for the temporary dye to try it out. Those that find they're happiest with henna long-term tend to largely be those that chemical dyed their hair red for years and loved it.

Please don't go straight for henna. From reading many a thread like this it's almost always the cooler-toned people that find they need a darker, cooler henna shade, which means more work, more applications, and it'll still go bright orange in the sun. And then there's the impossibility of getting it out.

Honestly, for test-driving I'd recommend a salon permanent dye over henna. You can at least take that out if you don't like it.

tcheney91
April 28th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks so much everyone! I think henna is definitely out of the question now! Maybe I'll just reserve that for my mother, who suits red very well. I'm glad you all stopped me... I was pretty set on it. Maybe I'll try cassia, just so I can get a fix! And I could use the strengthening effects, that's for sure. By the way, thanks for the fast responses! Oh, and of course, if I do anything, I'll let you all know!

manderly
April 28th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I think henna is definitely out of the question now! Maybe I'll just reserve that for my mother, who suits red very well. I'm glad you all stopped me... I was pretty set on it. Maybe I'll try cassia, just so I can get a fix! And I could use the strengthening effects, that's for sure. By the way, thanks for the fast responses! Oh, and of course, if I do anything, I'll let you all know!

But that's the thing, henna isn't really red unless you do a bunch of applications, and even then you never really get red. You get orange or burgundy.

Be careful :)

tcheney91
April 28th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Hmm... very true. Her hair is a lot darker than mine. We'll have to see. I guess I just need to keep my hot little paws to myself until I can strand test and know what I'm getting myself into! Thanks so much for all the advice everyone!

Pear Martini
April 28th, 2010, 11:23 PM
After seeing your pics, I actually think red would look really good on you. Maybe you can add a few more highlights so you get a more I love lucy red and not a sharon osbourne red. Good luck and keep us updated!

Flynn
April 29th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Hey, why not try something less permanent first in a similar colour to see if the colour will work for you?

I personally think red would work (though you might find you need to completely re-learn what makeup colours and tones work for you!), but even if it works, you yourself mightn't be over the moon with the outcome.

If you're completely off it now, though, fair enough. XD

tcheney91
April 29th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Yeah, a semi-permanent might be a wise choice. I guess I wanted the conditioning so badly that I would have gone for a red. But now I know I can just do cassia! I'll get my fix, get my conditioning and not end up a goofy copper color that would look terrible on me. Win! You guys rock.

Jules diamond
April 29th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Good luck! Post pictures when you've done it.

lesbia
April 30th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I love your natural colour, if I were you I'd prefer this :)

UP Lisa
April 30th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I really don't mind my natural color, but I've had it for 49 years, and I guess I just want to see how I would look with Red hair, since I do have coloring like a Redhead. I'm not doing anything permanent, so I can always go back.

Thank you for the compliment!

MonikaHa
April 30th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I think it would be nice on you, however looking at your natural color, you are most likely going to end up with more orange than red. Repeat applications for a long time will give you a nice dark color, but then your roots will look green and weird. And, it will take out a lot of you wave.

Just my 2c :)

UP Lisa
April 30th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I'm not planning to use henna.

tcheney91
May 1st, 2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks so much for the compliments on my hair. It's been every color under the sun at one point or another, and I've finally just gotten it back to my natural color (except a few blonde streaks I added in October). You guys are right, I should just stick with this for a while.

PrincessTieflin
May 1st, 2010, 01:41 PM
i would leave it as well your color is lovely.. I was thinking henna a few days ago as well and gave myself three weeks, I really dont think it would be for me. I CAN do red and copper, but for me I THINK its going to be to big of a risk for it to not come out how I want.. ;)

Im going to try manic panic, seems it smore temporary :D

I love your color I would leave it be ;)