PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your hair needs a change?

christine1989
April 27th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I have been getting a little bored with my hair lately and I know that I need to do something different and more exciting with it. At first I was thinking a small trim (maybe .5 inch) but then I thought that darkening my hair with henna would be something more dramatic that I have always wanted to try (and with no loss of length!:)) I was wondering what people on LHC do when they feel like changing their hair while still growing it out.

Sammich
April 27th, 2010, 11:55 PM
What I do(Since I can't do the whole dying mahog):
Changing the parting; putting in side braids, putting it up(down) in different ways, trying two pony braids/normal ponies, plus decorating with pretty clips! (Big or small) :p
;)

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Colors, that is the only thing that I ever do to my hair that is different.
And I don't do that often either, lol. I guess when it gets longer I will probably tie it back and such though.

ArienEllariel
April 28th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Try not to scream and pull my hair out. At the moment I'm trying to find new ways to wear APL hair. So far I'm still stuck. :/ I guess all I can do is wait for it to grow...

LILBERT
April 28th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I usually cut bangs. Then let them grow out. :)

ninelifewriter5
April 28th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Layers, perhaps? Last time I got bored I got a fringe cut in, but that may not be for everyone.

julliams
April 28th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I don't dye my hair so I don't have that as an option to me. I play with accessories or I learn a new updo. Adding a flower to an updo makes such a dramatic statement and adds a bit of fun.

Of late I have straightened my hair (yes, yes I know) which gave me a little change. I used a heat protectant so at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I got SO many comments on my hair which proves to me that the people in my world love smooth hair. Too bad, I'm a curly girl.

How about rekindling an old favourite. I was wearing hairsticks non stop when I first got them and then was a bit "meh" about them. I got them out again and tried the pencil bun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34 which is great and finally sits well in my hair now that I have a little more length.

Make up an SMT with different ingredients to experiment with? Rope braids? Oils?? These are the things that keep me going. I also keep a visual diary of my growth per month and that really helps too. I bring the page up and look at it often.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 28th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I use clip-in extensions :D i know, not the best thing to do to hair but it's definitely less damaging than cutting and bleaching ;)

Arctic_Mama
April 28th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I won't dye or cut, other than to keep up fringe trims, so when I need a change I head to youtube to learn a new style (it is amazing what a few months of growth will do - styles that were impossible suddenly become easy). My other default refresher is to buy a new hairtoyl.

Aditi
April 28th, 2010, 02:02 AM
When i get bored from my hair its only because they are starting to get out of shape, so i get a haircut and a deep conditioning :)

Aleria
April 28th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I'm actually going in to get my bangs cut as well as planning on some semi-permanent dye. I will tell them not to touch the length, we'll see if they're a long-hair friendly salon or not!

DragonLady
April 28th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Hmmm...I usually just spend an hour looking through the albums here. That always gives me a renewed appreciation for my hair, a shot of patience for the day it will be long, and enables me to go buy a new barrette or hair stick or something. :)

Marbles
April 28th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Ive been wondering about darkening my hair too; Im getting a bit bored of my current colour. Last time I got bored I cut some little bits at the front to come out when it was up. Not quite enough to be called a fringe/bangs but it made a difference to how it looked.

Maddy25
April 28th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I always used to just cut it or dye it, but the last years since I've been taking much better care of it I tend to like to change my part around, usually Im a side part girl but when I feel like I need a small change Ill put it in the middle.

Also Manic Panic always helps :D When I was blonde I loved making pink streaks!

MonikaHa
April 28th, 2010, 07:46 AM
When my hair was long, and I needed a change, I usually would go and get some outrageously expensive product, or accessory which I did not need.

cobblersmaid
April 28th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I think you need to decide whether it is a whim, or a real desire for change. I have made a few drastic changes over the years, but only when I was sure I wanted permanent change. I henna now, I have face framing layers. I have tried different hemlines. And I have done some major trims. (Such as classic to tailbone, or TB to hip.)

spidermom
April 28th, 2010, 09:19 AM
The last time I felt that way, I put Punky dye in it (sig pic). The dye has lightened up a lot since then - more pink than magenta now. It really helped with my hair blahs.

Finoriel
April 28th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I :o am boring. I rarely feel like I would need to drastically change my appearance. The differences between buns and braids and braided buns usually satisfies any eventual hair change urges.

missjessiecakes
April 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM
BANGS! or new layers orrrrrrrrr I dye it. Sometimes I straighten but for now I am really bored and just putting it back so I dont do something stupid that I cant undo.

Sunny_side_up
April 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Me too, was considering a trim recently. But want to hold off from that. Visited a friend recently and found ourselves floating about in a Lush store. I bought two solid shampoo bars which i am now a fan of and also discussed henna with a pleasant shop assistant there. Hrrm, was considering caca marron, watch this space, still thinking...:D

TiaKitty
April 28th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I got some light bangs cut in... which turned out very welll, because I can still get them back into any of my high bun styles! Plus, having them makes my wispies and summer frizzies not look so noticeable!

Reading this thread made me want to do something different, though! I have a fork that should be coming in the mail, soon. Maybe that will take care of my itch!

JamieLeigh
April 28th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Experiment with deep conditioning treatments using things from your fridge or pantry that are good for your hair. This is how I discovered my hair loves honey. :D

Browse the articles section on here or browse the net for new styles that suit your length, without you having to cut in layers or fringe - I know that cutting works for some, but it will just take you that much longer to grow out a thick hemline if you cut layers. ;)

Experimenting with colors can be fun, if what you're using is safe for hair - just try to remember that the hair at the ends is going to be on your head for years, so you should make sure not to do something that will cause them to become frazzled in the long run. :flower:

Even with hair this long, I go through "blah" phases. This is when I begin to browse Etsy and the swap board for new hair toys...and honestly, a half-inch or less trim off of my ends can make this feel like an entirely new head of hair. Sometimes it feels like there is just that extra "swish" to it, if that makes any sense. :p

Pallas
April 28th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I just wear it in a very unusual style. I normally have my hair down or a high ponytail, but I like more 'strange' look a lot (I'm just too lazy/uncaring most of the time) so I may make it look really hippie or put it up and put a huge flower in it. I take inspiration from different eras and cultures. People generally feel that that's more extreme (not that I do it for others, but I feel that as well) and you can change it all the time.

Actually it's a bit like a playing dressup for one part of my personality a day XD

Igor
April 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I around play with fake hair. That always does it for me! :wink:
Fake bangs are awesome when you need quick, non permanent change

Tegaladwen
April 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I either change my updos, try something new and I decorate my hair with hair bands or clips. I get compliments if I've got a new hair band or change it to a different updo. That makes me happy :D

Kristin
April 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I often cut (and subsequently grow-out) bangs. Buying hair toys or fancy treatments is a very good way to get through "blah" phases. There are so many things I want to try, and I need long hair for that!

If I were you, I would maybe do some semi-permanent dye if you are looking for a color change. I wouldn't henna unless you are ready for a commitment because it is definitely permanent.

Oskimosa
April 28th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Like a week or two ago I posted a thread like this :p I was REALLY bored with my hair...

I second looking at albums. Also, I microtrimmed. Played with new styles. And lightened my hair a touch with peroxide. That was well enough, I am no longer REMOTELY tempted to change it. Making it just a tiny microscopic bit different made me not want to change it anymore. Back in love :crush:

ZaBasDa
April 28th, 2010, 11:39 PM
When I get too tired of my current hair I try to put it in a french braid or a braided bun and forget about it. I do this because if I can constantly see or feel my hair it will just remind me that it was "bothering" me. Also this is partly why I bleached the middle section of my hair; so when I get bored I can just add a new hair-friendly color that will eventually fade out. I'm usually to stressed about school to remember to think about my hair.

clichepithet
April 28th, 2010, 11:49 PM
When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping.

ali beast
April 29th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I get my eyebrows done or touch them up myself... It's hair, right? :P Anyway, it's true what they say about eyebrows changing your whole face.

Also, I play around with makeup or do my nails. While these may not be directly related to my hair (which is maybe 1.5" shy of shoulder, so there's not much I can do with it anyway) they do change my appearance enough to scratch that itch. HTH!