PDA

View Full Version : No-win shampoo situation

Feli
April 27th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I just can't figure out what shampoo to use. Cone-free sulfate-free shampoos give me a major flakey scalp and cone shampoos make me shed loads of hair while washing and while air-drying. Does anyone else have similar problems? I'm really running out of ideas about what to do next.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 27th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Have you tried other washing methods? (CO, for example?)

teela1978
April 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Does a non-cone cheapo shampoo make you shed a lot too?

Feli
April 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks dreams in pink - I'm thinking of trying CO again. I tried it once and got kind of flat hair, but I'll give it a go again and maybe try different conditioners - with and without cones. Does anyone notice a difference between CO washing with and without cones with respect to shedding?

I also did WO for almost 4 months and had no flakey scalp and no shedding but incredibly greasy hair which just did not transition. Would so love to just find a washing routine where my hair and scalp are happy.

Feli
April 27th, 2010, 12:39 PM
teela1978: a cheapo cone-free shampoo gives me a flakey scalp - moderately so for sulfate-free shampoos and extremely for sulfate shampoos :(

Dreams_in_Pink
April 27th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I can totally feel for you. This is how i fixed the situation: i'm using ketoconazole shampoo on my scalp to control the flakes and prevent shedding, while CO washing my length.

spidermom
April 27th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Try diluting the shampoo.

Rapunzal2Be
April 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I can totally feel for you. This is how i fixed the situation: i'm using ketoconazole shampoo on my scalp to control the flakes and prevent shedding, while CO washing my length.

I actually do the exact same thing. I use Nizoral. Love it!

teela1978
April 27th, 2010, 12:51 PM
teela1978: a cheapo cone-free shampoo gives me a flakey scalp - moderately so for sulfate-free shampoos and extremely for sulfate shampoos :(

But coney sulfate shampoos don't cause flakes?

bumblebums
April 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM
You might be allergic or sensitive to something in the products, which takes a lot of time and work to weed out--and it can run into money, since you have to try various products. You may actually be a good candidate for alternatives to shampoo. Look in the herbal/henna forum--lots of ideas to try there. I like egg yolk and shikakai (an Indian herb), but people also do well with soapnuts (reetha) and the "no poo" method, where you use diluted baking soda to wash your scalp and then re-balance the pH with diluted vinegar. There is also the water-only method (another dedicated thread).

Most, though not all of these methods require an adjustment period, but once people find what works for them, they are very happy. I will never, not for anything, go back to commercial hair products now.

Feli
April 27th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Thanks for all the input.

spidermom: I always dilute my shampoos, regardless which one I'm using.

Dreamsinpink: I'll look into the ketoconazole shampoo - what ingredient do you think helps with the flakies?

My routine is also CWC - maybe I should have said that earlier. I always use (cone-free) conditioner to wash the length.

bumblebums: I tried a few egg washes while I was trying to transition to WO and my hair and scalp really liked them. The problem is that I can't do egg washes on a weekly basis because of protein overload. I really want to try shikakai but can't find it here in Germany. For that very reason I recently bought some shampoo in an Indian store because it contained shikakai and amla and I wanted to try them out. What I only realized after 3 washes was that the shampoo also contained cones which got rid of my flakey scalp but has lead to serious shedding.

The only thing I seem to be certain about from my experiments over the past 2 years is:
1 - coney shampoo gets rid of my flakey scalp
2- coney shampoo causes massive shedding

What a dilemma!

I'm off to look into the ketoconazole shampoo. I'm really grateful for all your advice!

Rapunzal2Be
April 27th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the input.

spidermom: I always dilute my shampoos, regardless which one I'm using.

Dreamsinpink: I'll look into the ketoconazole shampoo - what ingredient do you think helps with the flakies?

My routine is also CWC - maybe I should have said that earlier. I always use (cone-free) conditioner to wash the length.

bumblebums: I tried a few egg washes while I was trying to transition to WO and my hair and scalp really liked them. The problem is that I can't do egg washes on a weekly basis because of protein overload. I really want to try shikakai but can't find it here in Germany. For that very reason I recently bought some shampoo in an Indian store because it contained shikakai and amla and I wanted to try them out. What I only realized after 3 washes was that the shampoo also contained cones which got rid of my flakey scalp but has lead to serious shedding.

The only thing I seem to be certain about from my experiments over the past 2 years is:
1 - coney shampoo gets rid of my flakey scalp
2- coney shampoo causes massive shedding

What a dilemma!

I'm off to look into the ketoconazole shampoo. I'm really grateful for all your advice!

It's the ketoconazole that works on the flakes.

Feli
April 27th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I've just re-analyzed everything you guys have written and made a table of all the shampoos I've tried and their results and I think I may have found an answer:

When I tried guhl shampoo with sulfates but no cones, I had no flakies but shedding. The shedding is therefore related to suflates and not to cones, which means that I need to find a shampoo with cones but without sulfates. Is there such a shampoo? Is it plausible that I need cones to stop the flakies and need to avoid sulfates to stop the massive shedding?

Dreams_in_Pink
April 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Is it plausible that I need cones to stop the flakies ...

I don't think cones heal the scalp. Maybe they glue flakes to the scalp, so that they're not showing?

Or maybe there's another reason for your shedding and/or flakes?

teela1978
April 27th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I don't think cones heal the scalp. Maybe they glue flakes to the scalp, so that they're not showing?

Or maybe there's another reason for your shedding and/or flakes?

Cones can be moisturizing, they're really just man-made inorganic oils. I could see them helping with a dry scalp in some cases.

Rapunzal2Be
April 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I've just re-analyzed everything you guys have written and made a table of all the shampoos I've tried and their results and I think I may have found an answer:

When I tried guhl shampoo with sulfates but no cones, I had no flakies but shedding. The shedding is therefore related to suflates and not to cones, which means that I need to find a shampoo with cones but without sulfates. Is there such a shampoo? Is it plausible that I need cones to stop the flakies and need to avoid sulfates to stop the massive shedding?

I'd say that 'cones have nothing to do with flakes. Consider using ACV rinses, coconut scalp oilings or Monistat on your scalp for the flakes (all have different anti-fungal properties and dandruff is usually caused by a fungal infection on the scalp), or use a dandruff shampoo (like I said before, ketoconazole works wonders for me, as does Scalpicin, which is salicylic acid).

As for the shed, yes, it could be related to sulfates, so going with a sulfate free shampoo may alleviate that.

Fractalsofhair
April 29th, 2010, 02:03 PM
If you have a dry scalp, cones would be very effective at helping it hold moisture without looking greasy. You might need to clarify occasionally with them though. Try a coney conditioner, an SLS free shampoo(There's one C.Betaine that can get cones off. I think?), and see if that works?

Feli
May 6th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the ideas from everyone, I've made loads of notes so that I can systematically experiment over the next few weeks/months. Just wanted to update:

I washed my hair with baby shampoo (German brand - Hipp) 3 days ago and while it's only been one wash and time will tell, I definitely didn't have a massive shed and my flakies are almost gone. I'll keep on using the shampoo and keep my fingers crossed. With my other sulfate-free, cone-free shampoos, the flakies came after a while, so the problem may not yet be solved.

I also used a coney conditioner on the length for the first time in 2 years and my hair and scalp look great. I am sooooo pleased with how my hair's looking, I've worn it down for 3 days running. The fact that I can wear it down on the 3rd day after washing and it still looks really good is fantastic! Over the past 2 years I hardly wore my hair down because of the tangling which I assumed was because of the longer length but the tangles don't seem to be a problem with cones and I seem to have much more volume to boot! I'm loving my hair again!

moonlight
May 6th, 2010, 07:46 AM
If you have access to Sally Beauty Supply (did you say you are in Germany? They have a website) they have a conditioner/shampoo called Hair One. It's sulphate free and has cones...I think amodimethicone.

If you've done CO washes, then you know how to use it :) I really like it.

Feli
May 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM
A sulfate-free shampoo with cones! That sounds great, I'll do some searching straight away! I spent ages at the local drug store on Monday reading all the ingredients of the shampoo bottles - coney sulfate-free shampoos seem hard to find!

Otherwise I plan on trying Fractalsofhair's idea of using a coney, sulfate-free conditioner.