PDA

View Full Version : Gah! I think my sleep cap is breaking my hair

jivete
April 27th, 2010, 10:12 AM
About a month ago I started wearing my sleep cap exclusively to bed because I thought the braid was damaging my ends. Now I'm noticing some broken hairs on my right temple (the side I sleep on) and at my nape. I think the fabric edge of the sleep cap is rubbing off the hair at those locations. I do feel like the sleep cap is better for me than either a night braid or high bun, so I'm in the market for another one.

I've been using one similar to this (turned inside out. Mine has cotton covering the elastic): http://www.sallybeauty.com/Satin-Sleep-Cap/SBS-378120,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair15-08-1

I have another type that ties, but I can't keep it on. I may try it for a while and see if I can get it to work. Otherwise I'll be purchasing a new one.

Being a baby fine is such a pain sometimes. Of all the things to damage my hair...:rolleyes:

Arctic
April 27th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Gah indeed! :justy: Irritating to think we are trying to protect our hair and then notice something like that! I have tried all kinds of ways to wear my hair while sleeping, and nothing has worked either immediately or in the longer run. My latest experiment is putting on a scarf like the WWII style scarf tutorial at the articles section. So far it seems really nice: stays well, doesn't leave any marks on my face, is comfortable... I hope I don't notice something like this after a while (it's been maybe week or little more that I've been using this scarf style).

ETA: tutorial (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=126)

masa_inn
April 27th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I found that synthetic fibers do not play well with my hair (too much static and, eventually, breakage). So I forked out $12 for a 100% silk sleeping cap - it's wonderful. I really want a silk pillowcase now.

little_cherry
April 27th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I agree with the silk sleep cap suggestions. I just tie a silk scarf around my french braided head and then tie a polyester-satin scarf over the top to keep it secure. No broken hairs :)

piratejenny23
April 27th, 2010, 06:06 PM
you could also try a pair of pantyhose for a sleep cap! i made a knot at the very top of one leg then cut it off, then cut the toe out of the remaining leg so i can reach up and pull my hair through--thereby eliminating the need for a bun, braid, ponytail or anything; it's like sleeping with your hair down...so comfy! also, there is no bunched up material like with a cap, so no marks on your face!

Magicknthenight
April 27th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I got a sleep cap like that from Walmart. I wore it a bunch at first. Then i realized the material was just rough. It was supposed to protect your hair when you sleep but still. I guess it was satin or something but i put my hand on the inside of it and moved it along my pillow. It really did feel rough on the inside. Maybe more so then my pillow. I worried it was just like wrapping a scratchy cloth around my head and stopped using it for the time being.
I have a hard time finding ways to sleep with my hair. Lately its been a lazy bun with a hair stick on my side. With my hand under my bun to support it. Comfortable? Nope.
But i can't find any other way where it doesn't fall out. If i wanna sleep on my back i have to turn my head slightly to the side or just put my hand under my bun to keep it from touching the pillow fabric. Anyway I've rambled.:p
I saw one a few years ago(maybe they still have them at Walmart?). They don't have the tightening edge. So its basically just a piece probably rectangle shape that you wrap around and can tie to your head with a string (thats goes through one side) or make a knot out of the extra fabric of it. But it is made from the same thing.If that doesn't work you could always pull the cap down on your face more? So its over your ears and lower on your forehead. That way the edge won't touch your hair as much.Finding ways to sleep when your growing your hair is difficult. I hope you find something that works for you soon:)

ETA: Now i remember! I did have one of those from Walmart that was just the cloth. But i accidentally pulled the string that was inside out and it took forever to get back in...So if you get one like that be careful! I believe i put the cloth over my head and a bun and pulled the string down on both sides to the bottom and tied it. I think. >.> It was a while ago. I hope that made sense:uhh:

I found that synthetic fibers do not play well with my hair (too much static and, eventually, breakage). So I forked out $12 for a 100% silk sleeping cap - it's wonderful. I really want a silk pillowcase now.
o0o Where did you get it from? :D

jivete
April 27th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'll try the scarf tonight and pantyhose tomorrow (if I can dig some up).

Masa_inn, where did you get your silk cap?

EtherealOde
April 27th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'll try the scarf tonight and pantyhose tomorrow (if I can dig some up).

Masa_inn, where did you get your silk cap?

I bought mine here, and it is wonderful. The extra smooth silky side is in the cap. Delivery was fast too.

http://prettywrap.com/

Magicknthenight
May 2nd, 2010, 04:32 AM
I bought mine here, and it is wonderful. The extra smooth silky side is in the cap. Delivery was fast too.

o0o They sound really cool especially with the cap part. Bah the black is out! I'll have to book mark this :D
I bet you could wear it around day time to keep the sun from being on your hair too much too ^-^
I have scarfs i wanted to do that with but most of them aren't soft...

Underlig
May 2nd, 2010, 06:03 AM

Would you mind taking a photo of it laying flat or something? I absolutely love the idea of these, they look awesome! However, being the poor student I am, and having some silk fabric laying around here anyway, I'd rather make one myself. I can't really figure out how they're constructed from the website though. Pretty please? =)