PDA

View Full Version : going cone free

x0h_bother
April 27th, 2010, 08:20 AM
After being a cone-head in denial, I am finally making the decision to free my hair from suffocation that I suspect it has undergone. The tipping point for me has been the CurlyGirls and LHCers who have described going cone-free as encouraging their waves to form better. As a wavy, I used to use cones to do just that. So now I have hopes that going cone-free will encourage a curl and also in the process restore the condition of my hair. Now that it is getting toward summer (though I see snow out my window today :rolleyes:) I think it is the perfect time to go cone-free without as much fear.
My arsenal:
garnier fructis triple nutrition cond
matrix biolage cond balm
matrix oil treatment
and I will be purchasing some coconut oil

Suggestions? Thoughts? I'm excited :)

masa_inn
April 27th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I love this blog post (http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html), helped me a lot at the beginning.

Loreley
April 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM
My hair has been curlier since I stopped using cones. Maybe it'll help you with the waves, too. :D
I use GF triple nutrition and I like it! :) Although, I don't put it on my scalp because it's a bit heavy and makes my hair flat and greasy-looking.

Siava
April 27th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I love this blog post (http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html), helped me a lot at the beginning.

Great blog post. Thanks for sharing it. The side by side picture of shampoo and dish detergent ingredients was an eye opener.

x0h_bother
April 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM
THANK YOU FOR THE ARTICLE!!

If you simply try to cut out sulfates without cutting silicones, you can do some damage to your hair. The silicones, which have sealed your cuticle shut, will literally suffocate your hair shaft and could result in build up (greasy gunk) and even such extremes as hair loss if you continue to fail to remove the silicone.

I just had an AHA moment:
If I don't use cones, I won't have to clarify as much....:D
I know it sounds simple, but I really have had a hard time getting off sulfates, and I think it's because of my cone use.
AHHHH!
Thanks!!:cheese:

Wavies are not as porous as curlies, and they often have more moisturized hair to start. This places them at risk for overconditioning, which is where they hair has too much moisture. It becomes impossibly soft and fluffy.
My hair is soft and fluffy..but I like it that way. Is this a problem? Will I become overmoisturized being cone free?

masa_inn
April 27th, 2010, 11:40 AM
THANK YOU FOR THE ARTICLE!!

My hair is soft and fluffy..but I like it that way. Is this a problem? Will I become overmoisturized being cone free?

Not necessarily. In any case, ACV rinse cures overconditioning immediately :) And being SLS-free definitely made my hair softer.

LoveMyMutt
April 27th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I seriously had NO IDEA how wavy/curly my hair was until I gave up shampoo and cones.

For my entire life, I thought I had straight hair that was just inexplicably frizzy and unmanageable.

No 'cones changed my life. For the first time, I didn't hate my hair texture. Turns out I'm a 2c with some 3a bits. And humid weather gives me full-on corkscrew curls.

Here's what I use:

Conditioner wash: Suave Naturals or Vo5
Rinse-out conditioner: L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for long hair that's wavy/curly (has to be THIS SPECIFIC ONE because the other Vive Pro products have 'cones)
Leave-in conditioner: Giovanni Direct
Curl enhancer: Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Hair Moisturizing Jelly
Styler: LA Looks Sport Gel

Gingevere
April 27th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Good luck with the new regime! There are a handful of people who swear by cones, but in general it seems most benefit from cutting them out of their hair routine. I know I did! My scalp's condition in particular improved greatly and my hair is much lighter and healthier now. I've also had success with going all-natural. Here's what's currently in my own hair "arsenal"... I love the sound of that, lol!

Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating-Clarifying shampoo
Conditioner: Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating-Clarifying conditioner
Deep Conditioner: Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture conditioner
Oil: Nutiva Unrefined Extra Virgin Coconut oil

I also sometimes use ACV rinses and Ktani's catnip rinse. The ACV kills product buildup and I'm convinced the catnip protects against splits.

x0h_bother
April 27th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Since today was my first day going cone free, I noticed my hair's roots feel almost wet, like over moist, my ends are great too, and my roots are not oily (believe me, I know the difference.) I dont feel my roots have buildup, they are just wet feeling like the never dried. ???? I used a clarifying shampoo and the conditioners in my OP. ?

Hana
April 27th, 2010, 04:08 PM

thanks for this! so interesting, just what i'd been looking for. :D

Aleria
April 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM
That was very interesting indeed! I'm now debating taking the plunge, especially since I had been eyeing shampoo bars before this. I used to have more 2a/b hair and I'd love to be wavier again!

Flynn
April 27th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Advice: stick with it.

My hair looked awful (to me) for about a month until it settled in. Now? People walk up to me and tell me I have extremely shiny hair. XD

naereid
April 28th, 2010, 02:14 AM
My hair looked awful for the first month too! I practiced bunning during the time. But it was worth it, because now I have the waves that I never could get by putting products in my hair. Good luck!

katze666
April 28th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I want to free my hair from cone too.

x0h_bother
April 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I found this thread last night that is really helpful to going cone-free.
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53479
I did an ACV rinse and so far got rid of that icky overmoisturized feeling by my roots.
:-)

princessp
April 28th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Thank you so much for this thread. I have been CO cone-free and my hair looks shiny and healthy, but I have definitely lost wave. It looks like some people had trouble with their hair at first too, so I'm inspired to stick with it, and see what I get. I think I'll try the ACV rinses too. Thanks for the blog/thread links.

ETA: Can someone tell me if glyceryl caprylate is a cone? I'm looking at my conditioner it is from whole foods 365 citrus grapefruit and it has that ingredient listed. I realized the other conditioner I have ABBA Pure Moisture does have cones (cyclomethicone), I guess other products by ABBA don't have cones, but apparently, I picked the wrong one. I have a clarifying shampoo by Alba Botanica that doesn't seem to have any cones in it so I'll be clarifying my hair soon. Egads, I may just toss everything out and start CO cone-free from scratch. Maybe I was washing with cones and that is why my hair seems weighted down?---oy.

Flynn
April 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
ETA: Can someone tell me if glyceryl caprylate is a cone?

No, it isn't.

You're looking for anything with -cone or -silox- in it.

x0h_bother
April 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Thank you so much for this thread. I have been CO cone-free and my hair looks shiny and healthy, but I have definitely lost wave. It looks like some people had trouble with their hair at first too, so I'm inspired to stick with it, and see what I get. I think I'll try the ACV rinses too. Thanks for the blog/thread links.

ETA: Can someone tell me if glyceryl caprylate is a cone? I'm looking at my conditioner it is from whole foods 365 citrus grapefruit and it has that ingredient listed. I realized the other conditioner I have ABBA Pure Moisture does have cones (cyclomethicone), I guess other products by ABBA don't have cones, but apparently, I picked the wrong one. I have a clarifying shampoo by Alba Botanica that doesn't seem to have any cones in it so I'll be clarifying my hair soon. Egads, I may just toss everything out and start CO cone-free from scratch. Maybe I was washing with cones and that is why my hair seems weighted down?---oy.

The link to the thread I posted, I believe second reply down in the thread, has a list of cone ingredients.
I believe cyclomethicone is shown here http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm/product/1644_126/cyclomethicone.cfm as the same ingredient as "Cyclopentasiloxane (&) Cyclohexasiloxane" which is shown on my link here http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53479 to be somewhat water soluable (green).:)

Glycerol or glyceryl is water soluable :)
The ACV rinse helped with the heavy feeling especially by my scalp.

Amelia
May 1st, 2010, 10:55 AM
I probably should be answering this thread in a month time, since I'm still experimenting.

I just went cone and SLS free since last monday (26-04).
I have to say that the major change i (already) saw in my hair was that it wasn't as oily as it used to be, what i mean is that it took longer to get 'dirty'. I washed on monday, and today (saturday).

Also have to report that I suffer from very sensitive scalp, and when my hair got 'dirty' I would feel itchy, which didn't happen this time.

My ends were a bit dry (i have a mix of medium/coarse hair), but today i apllied a bit of coconut oil after it air dried, and let's see how it goes.

x0h_bother
May 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM
My ends are also feeling dry, Amelia, but I'd like to think it's just my damage showing and not being covered up by cones. THe ends are not breaking or anything, and the rest of my hair is still moisturized, so that's good. I should also post progress at a later date.

xoxophelia
May 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM
I don't think the transition is actually as difficult as some make it out to be. The hardest thing for me was that I stopped heat styling at about the same time but my hair really isn't too different with or without cones.. except, cones kinda make my hair feel more wiry or something.

I would also suggest VO5 conditioner. I use the clarifying kiwi one for CO washes and it works surprisingly well. I also have the biologe conditioning balm but it is expensive and also I noticed it was drying out my hair. Somebody here told me it was probably because it has so much humectant in it. Another thing for sure is less shampoo=better for me. As well as avoiding hot water as that can make my hair more puffy or frizzy.

lorig713
May 1st, 2010, 04:28 PM
VO5 conditioner and a light oil (like monoi oil) after your hair drys. Good luck! :flower:

x0h_bother
May 4th, 2010, 06:06 PM
So I'm super concerned that this cone free is not working out for me. Yes my hair is flatter and less frizzy, but it's DRY. I used cone free cond. as a leave in and it helped a little but not enough. I'm using Biolage Cond Balm (humectant) and I CWC with Garnier triple nutrition cond. Could the garnier be protein? Am I moisture overload? Help!

PS I'm using an oil (discontinued Matrix sleek.look treatment) in the shower after all of that on my ends, but I can't get another oil say for a leave in until I have more money. :o/

Flynn
May 4th, 2010, 07:05 PM
So I'm super concerned that this cone free is not working out for me. Yes my hair is flatter and less frizzy, but it's DRY. I used cone free cond. as a leave in and it helped a little but not enough. I'm using Biolage Cond Balm (humectant) and I CWC with Garnier triple nutrition cond. Could the garnier be protein? Am I moisture overload? Help!

PS I'm using an oil (discontinued Matrix sleek.look treatment) in the shower after all of that on my ends, but I can't get another oil say for a leave in until I have more money. :o/

Yep, that sounds like what happened to me. Dry and nasty. Looked dull and somehow rough, and all of a sudden, I was seeing splits everywhere. I think 'cones are able to hide all that very well.

I went for a thick conditioner, left it in for 5-10 minutes while in the shower, and then used a thinner conditioner as a leave-in. I used the thick one every second wash or so, and did the same thing with the thinner one every other wash.

It took a while, but I found it to be well worth it.

naereid
May 5th, 2010, 01:34 AM
x0h_bother, I've been feeling like that too. :( My hair just seems drier no matter what I do. 'Course, it's only been 3 months. Supposedly switching can take a while.

The difference between thicker conditioners and thinner ones is... obviously in the consistency, right? All conditioners I have at the moment are so thick they won't even drop from the palm of my hand if it's put upside down. That's good, right? :p

x0h_bother
May 5th, 2010, 09:30 AM
x0h_bother, I've been feeling like that too. :( My hair just seems drier no matter what I do. 'Course, it's only been 3 months. Supposedly switching can take a while.

The difference between thicker conditioners and thinner ones is... obviously in the consistency, right? All conditioners I have at the moment are so thick they won't even drop from the palm of my hand if it's put upside down. That's good, right? :p
I hope so!
Like Flynn said, I used cond as a leave-in for the past 2 days. It's okay, my hair is still rough, dry, falling out, and tangly from root to tip. I'm this close to going back to cones. :justy:

Flynn
May 5th, 2010, 09:51 PM

Do you oil?

I'm surprised that it's still feeling all nasty after a whole three months... I would have thought you'd be out of the woods by now...

Oh, and yeah. It's mostly just consistency, but that's kind of a rule of thumb. I think it's more to do with the balance of surfactants, water, and nice fatty alcohols. If it feels really sort of "rich" when you rub it between your hands, then it's what I'd call "thick".

Look up the list of good conditioners for CO washing. That list can be read as a list of conditioners that aren't so great for conditioning.

naereid
May 6th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Do you oil?

I'm surprised that it's still feeling all nasty after a whole three months... I would have thought you'd be out of the woods by now...

Oh, and yeah. It's mostly just consistency, but that's kind of a rule of thumb. I think it's more to do with the balance of surfactants, water, and nice fatty alcohols. If it feels really sort of "rich" when you rub it between your hands, then it's what I'd call "thick".

Look up the list of good conditioners for CO washing. That list can be read as a list of conditioners that aren't so great for conditioning.
So it isn't normal? Oops. :p Yeah, I've been oiling with jojoba since February, and am about to wash out my first overnight coconut oil DT right now.

Just googled the three conditioners I've tried so far. Two are mentioned in connection to CO and the third one isn't. Oh snap. No wonder the third, newest one (actually a hair mask) has been giving me the best results so far.

x0h_bother
May 6th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I wonder if cone free isn't for everyone. My hair felt cleaner but nasty like straw. I went back to a water soluable cone conditioner today (Dimethicone Copolyol) and my roots hate it (frizz) but my ends love it. So I'm going to have to be one of those people who switch on and off to make both happy.

naereid, which conditioners are you using?

naereid
May 6th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I wonder if cone free isn't for everyone. My hair felt cleaner but nasty like straw. I went back to a water soluable cone conditioner today (Dimethicone Copolyol) and my roots hate it (frizz) but my ends love it. So I'm going to have to be one of those people who switch on and off to make both happy.

naereid, which conditioners are you using?
I wouldn't go far as to say that mine is like straw, but I still don't see any other improvement other than increased curliness.

I've tried Garnier Triple Nutrition (http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS%5EPRD_HAIRCARE%5EF RUCTIS%5EFRUCTIS_DISCOVER%5EFRUCTIS_TRIPLE_NUTRITI ON%5EFRUCTIS_TRIPLE_NUTRITION_RTN2&prdcode=P41175), Alverde Aloe vera/Hibiskus (http://www.dm-drogeriemarkt.de/dmDHomepage/generator/dmD/Homepage/Sortiment/Gesichts-__und__Koerperpflege/alverde__markenbeitrag/Haarpflege.html) and L'Oreal Elseve Renutrition (http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/haircare/women/elvive-re-nutrition/replenishing-masque.aspx). :)

pdy2kn6
May 7th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Hey, sorry i couldn't find another cone related thread to post this question, but I just wanted to ask if anyone knew if delta gluconolactone is considered to be a silicone? I want to buy a cone free conditioner, and found one..i thought...wasn't cone free, until I saw it said it had this ingredient in it?

Is delta gluconolactone considered a cone? The ONE at the end of the word made me wary!! I try to avoide cones...

Flynn
May 7th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Hey, sorry i couldn't find another cone related thread to post this question, but I just wanted to ask if anyone knew if delta gluconolactone is considered to be a silicone? I want to buy a cone free conditioner, and found one..i thought...wasn't cone free, until I saw it said it had this ingredient in it?

Is delta gluconolactone considered a cone? The ONE at the end of the word made me wary!! I try to avoide cones...

Nope, it's a lactone. More systematically, I think you'll find it's called glucono-delta-lactone. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucono_delta-lactone)

There are lots of things ending in -one. What you're looking for, though, is -cone (and -silox-).

restourceful
May 7th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I've been watching (and covertly participating, :cool: shhh, don't tell anyone!) in this cone free thing since this thread started on 4-27. I've also been doing the CG method of *not* drying my hair or combing/brushing since then. Does anyone else who is a 1c-2a use this method? I have great waves and even a few good curls but my hair is really all clumpy, which you can see in my siggy taken the first day I drip dried. I used coconut oil pretty liberally after my first wash, which I'm sure contributed, but I was keeping it mostly bunned and didn't care if it looked oily/clumpy. But after yesterday's CO cone free wash and scrunch with a little coconut oil it's still really clumpy. Am I not curly enough to be able to pull this off? It just looks really unkempt and "strangy" as my grandmother used to say. Or is this part of the adjustment period a lot of the CGers talked about? If you do this method, do you break up the clumps and how do you do it? I don't want my hair to decide to dread. :silly:

x0h_bother
May 7th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I've been watching (and covertly participating, :cool: shhh, don't tell anyone!) in this cone free thing since this thread started on 4-27. I've also been doing the CG method of *not* drying my hair or combing/brushing since then. Does anyone else who is a 1c-2a use this method? I have great waves and even a few good curls but my hair is really all clumpy, which you can see in my siggy taken the first day I drip dried. I used coconut oil pretty liberally after my first wash, which I'm sure contributed, but I was keeping it mostly bunned and didn't care if it looked oily/clumpy. But after yesterday's CO cone free wash and scrunch with a little coconut oil it's still really clumpy. Am I not curly enough to be able to pull this off? It just looks really unkempt and "strangy" as my grandmother used to say. Or is this part of the adjustment period a lot of the CGers talked about? If you do this method, do you break up the clumps and how do you do it? I don't want my hair to decide to dread. :silly:

Is it clumpy at the roots or ends? If it's the roots, I do CWC, I don't CO, so I wouldn't know about it, but that might be affecting the clumping.
If it's clumpy as in tangly by the ends/midway, I would suggest finger combing a bit before scrunching. I'm 1c/2a, and I don't even scrunch because I feel like it tangles my hair. So I finger comb wet and then let it curl back up during it drying on its own however it falls. GL :)

restourceful
May 7th, 2010, 09:52 AM
It's definitely more clumpy on the length, mostly on the ends, but not at the scalp. The CG article said not to touch it again after the scrunch, although I have to continue to squeeze out water so I do touch it until it stops dripping. I usually wait until it's almost finished dripping to scrunch in the coconut oil. I'm not getting any tangles (amazingly!), since I did a wide tooth comb to detangle before I washed yesterday, and there were absolutely none. So should I finger comb while it's still wet or wait until it's dry? I don't want to break the casts and lose my waves and curls.

x0h_bother
May 7th, 2010, 10:54 AM
It's definitely more clumpy on the length, mostly on the ends, but not at the scalp. The CG article said not to touch it again after the scrunch, although I have to continue to squeeze out water so I do touch it until it stops dripping. I usually wait until it's almost finished dripping to scrunch in the coconut oil. I'm not getting any tangles (amazingly!), since I did a wide tooth comb to detangle before I washed yesterday, and there were absolutely none. So should I finger comb while it's still wet or wait until it's dry? I don't want to break the casts and lose my waves and curls.
Personally, I finger comb when wet because there is the opportunity for the hair to "spring" up again due to the water. I've had absolutely no curl when I touch the waves when they are dry. You may want to apply the coconut oil, finger comb, then scrunch. I would say that as long as you scrunch last, you would be able to maintain curl and not rake it out. :)

restourceful
May 7th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Well that makes sense. :agree: Thanks for helping me work through this! :flower:

Henrietta
May 8th, 2010, 01:41 PM
It's a second go, but this time I am serious. Now I know that cones are bad, though they make my hair looks perfect. But it is wrong way. I am afraid that if I will be using cones more and more, my hair will be getting more and more damage, though I won't see it.
I want my hair to BE healthy, not to LOOK healthy.
Here's the Big Plan:

I. As I have to use up 2 bottles (14 fl. oz) of heavy, full of cones conditioner, I am going to do it fast. Instead of using just a tea spon during every washing only for my ends, which would take me... about two years, I am going to use each bottle during three washes. So I'll need six washes to use them up. They were too expensive, my mum won't let me to throw them away. Practically I should finish this proccess on 6 July.

II. Finishing a bottle of shampoo, also with cones. And I am going to finish it up quickly too. Probably it would take me less time than using conditioner, because I have only one bottle, 8.75 fl oz.

III. After feeding my hair with massive amount of cones I'll need good cleansing. I have already found and bought in the Internet clarifying shampoo. It'll have it delivered until the 6 July I hope. So I will purify my hair well.

IV. I will buy new shampoo for regular use, as the clarifying one makes the hair frazzled. I have already found it too. It'll be Ziaja Plantica, Mint, as Mint is the only one without cones. Later maybe I will find something more without cones.

V. This phase isn't planned yet. After leaving cones my hair will show it's damage in all it's glory. So I would like to switch to CO washing. I don't know if so big change will be possible. I have just stretched my washing routine from three to four days and it isn't as stable as I want it to be yet. But without cones my hair will look so damage that I hope after COing it won't look greasy. I know one thing- I don't want to go back to washing every third day. But it may change... or it has changed already. Maybe condishioner only washing and having soft and healthy hair will become more important than... I don't know what. I stretched my washes mainly because I didn't want a shampoo to damage my hair. And if I won't use shampoo, nothing will be damaging my hair. So if my hair after COing will get oily on day three, I will start to CO every third day again instead of going back to shampoo. Maybe I will have to mix two ways of washing- shampoo-ing and CO-ing(I will use the Ziaja's shampoo, so that's why I would need it even if I want to switch to CO. Even if I won't have to mix shampooing with CO I think I will use shampoo like once a month). I have found a condish for CO too. Big bottle, I had this conditioner once, my grandma discovered it, I know it works, making my hair impossibly soft, as it contains... cosmetic parrafin, I don't know how to name this substance in English, cosmetic parrafin is literal translation from Polish. I think that's it because any other products didn't make my hair that soft and this one is the only one with parrafin. And it's 17,5 fl. oz, costs as much as twice smaller bottle of my shampoo with cones.

So far this plan is a total mess. But I have still almost a month to think it over. I wish I could go cone free now. But I must use use those two bottles of coney condish. I will survive somehow. I am not happy, as I'll have to put massive amount of this condishioner if I want to finish the bottles fast. But maybe it my clarifying shampoo will arrive fast, I'll be able to start clarify before the 6 July, though I'll be using cones still.

It will be hard. For my hair and for... me, literally. My brother always derides my hair care. Now he'll have great occasion to do so. My dad will just roll his eyes, I hope. And it is going to be hard to persuade to my mum that I want now twice more conditioner instead of shampoo. She has money in this house But we'll see.
First of all I have to finish coney products. It's still a month. Then clarify, start to wash with cone-free shampoo, find cone free conditioner to use them for a while. (Maybe it will be Hegron, the one I would like to use to CO. My hair will have a chance to get use to it before switching to total CO, which I hope will be possible.) Then I'll think about CO. Or I will do it at once, leaving cones and switching to CO. Maybe it'll give my hair a chance to recover faster than with shampoo.
I am excited. Even if CO won't work for me, as my hair is stubborn, I know that after stretching washes, I am determined to kick off cones.

Cupofmilk
May 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I am in the uK. I will be making my own shampoo and conditioner once I have used up supplies of shop sls and paraben and cone free stuff. It is so expensive

x0h_bother
May 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Here is a list of cones and cone combinations (Scroll down to list) http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53479

It's a second go, but this time I am serious. Now I know that cones are bad, though they make my hair looks perfect. But it is wrong way. I am afraid that if I will be using cones more and more, my hair will be getting more and more damage, though I won't see it.
I want my hair to BE healthy, not to LOOK healthy.
Here's the Big Plan:

I. As I have to use up 2 bottles (14 fl. oz) of heavy, full of cones conditioner, I am going to do it fast. Instead of using just a tea spon during every washing only for my ends, which would take me... about two years, I am going to use each bottle during three washes. So I'll need six washes to use them up. They were too expensive, my mum won't let me to throw them away. Practically I should finish this proccess on 6 July.

II. Finishing a bottle of shampoo, also with cones. And I am going to finish it up quickly too. Probably it would take me less time than using conditioner, because I have only one bottle, 8.75 fl oz.

III. After feeding my hair with massive amount of cones I'll need good cleansing. I have already found and bought in the Internet clarifying shampoo. It'll have it delivered until the 6 July I hope. So I will purify my hair well.

IV. I will buy new shampoo for regular use, as the clarifying one makes the hair frazzled. I have already found it too. It'll be Ziaja Plantica, Mint, as Mint is the only one without cones. Later maybe I will find something more without cones.

V. This phase isn't planned yet. After leaving cones my hair will show it's damage in all it's glory. So I would like to switch to CO washing. I don't know if so big change will be possible. I have just stretched my washing routine from three to four days and it isn't as stable as I want it to be yet. But without cones my hair will look so damage that I hope after COing it won't look greasy. I know one thing- I don't want to go back to washing every third day. But it may change... or it has changed already. Maybe condishioner only washing and having soft and healthy hair will become more important than... I don't know what. I stretched my washes mainly because I didn't want a shampoo to damage my hair. And if I won't use shampoo, nothing will be damaging my hair. So if my hair after COing will get oily on day three, I will start to CO every third day again instead of going back to shampoo. Maybe I will have to mix two ways of washing- shampoo-ing and CO-ing(I will use the Ziaja's shampoo, so that's why I would need it even if I want to switch to CO. Even if I won't have to mix shampooing with CO I think I will use shampoo like once a month). I have found a condish for CO too. Big bottle, I had this conditioner once, my grandma discovered it, I know it works, making my hair impossibly soft, as it contains... cosmetic parrafin, I don't know how to name this substance in English, cosmetic parrafin is literal translation from Polish. I think that's it because any other products didn't make my hair that soft and this one is the only one with parrafin. And it's 17,5 fl. oz, costs as much as twice smaller bottle of my shampoo with cones.

So far this plan is a total mess. But I have still almost a month to think it over. I wish I could go cone free now. But I must use use those two bottles of coney condish. I will survive somehow. I am not happy, as I'll have to put massive amount of this condishioner if I want to finish the bottles fast. But maybe it my clarifying shampoo will arrive fast, I'll be able to start clarify before the 6 July, though I'll be using cones still.

It will be hard. For my hair and for... me, literally. My brother always derides my hair care. Now he'll have great occasion to do so. My dad will just roll his eyes, I hope. And it is going to be hard to persuade to my mum that I want now twice more conditioner instead of shampoo. She has money in this house But we'll see.
First of all I have to finish coney products. It's still a month. Then clarify, start to wash with cone-free shampoo, find cone free conditioner to use them for a while. (Maybe it will be Hegron, the one I would like to use to CO. My hair will have a chance to get use to it before switching to total CO, which I hope will be possible.) Then I'll think about CO. Or I will do it at once, leaving cones and switching to CO. Maybe it'll give my hair a chance to recover faster than with shampoo.
I am excited. Even if CO won't work for me, as my hair is stubborn, I know that after stretching washes, I am determined to kick off cones.
Hi Henrietta,
Consider alternating cones with non cones. From experience, using too much cones can be drying to the hair, and so can clarifying if you do it all the time. Just my :twocents:! GL!

PS your brother decides your hair care? ?
and I understand about money.. I CWC with garnier fructis triple nutrition conditioner (cone-free) it's about US$3 and I had US$1 coupon so that one wasn't terrible for me in terms of cost.

Henrietta
May 8th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Here is a list of cones and cone combinations (Scroll down to list) http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53479

Hi Henrietta,
Consider alternating cones with non cones. From experience, using too much cones can be drying to the hair, and so can clarifying if you do it all the time. Just my :twocents:! GL!

PS your brother decides your hair care? ?
and I understand about money.. I CWC with garnier fructis triple nutrition conditioner (cone-free) it's about US$3 and I had US$1 coupon so that one wasn't terrible for me in terms of cost.

About the word, it's just my funny English- he derides it, I meant he is laughing all the time bacause he thinks I am obsessed with my hair. Ok. I am. But he doesn't care about his hair at all. It's worse.
Thank you for you'r advice. I will try this ;)

Kathie
May 8th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I’m trying to cut back on cones too. Like some of you, I also have a major supply of cone-filled products... i.e., leave in conditioners, serums, and other glossy like styling goods. These were expensive, so I’m going to alternate between cone and cone-free products until they’re gone.

I had my first CO cone-free wash yesterday. I have to say it kind of felt cleaner, no bad aspects to report yet. :hollie:

Henrietta
May 8th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I’m trying to cut back on cones too. Like some of you, I also have a major supply of cone-filled products... i.e., leave in conditioners, serums, and other glossy like styling goods. These were expensive, so I’m going to alternate between cone and cone-free products until they’re gone.

I had my first CO cone-free wash yesterday. I have to say it kind of felt cleaner, no bad aspects to report yet. :hollie:
So before this you used coney condishioner for CO? You are yhe brave one! :)