PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing & Growing

Snowcold
April 27th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Hello all, I'm new here and I was planning to stay a hidden lurker, but I feel the need to explain my complicated situation. I'll start at the beginning:

April 2009 I decided to cut my hair 'scene-style' with many, spiky layers and dye it purple and black (top half purple, lower half black).
I did this at a salon and I was very happy with it, until the purple started to fade and showed a very dirty mix of purple and dark-blonde. That happened after three weeks! It was disgusting, so I rushed back to the salon and she dyed it again, mixing the purple with a dark brown in order for it to stay longer. This only helped for a short while.

August 2009 I decided to get the purple out and make it blond. At first it was nice, but somehow it started to look yellowish after a few months so I decided I wanted to go back to my virgin hair. At that time I also got inspired to grow it long, because I've always loved long hair and my hair was waist length as a child.

February 2010. In order to grown the yellow (:p) out, my hairdresser used a semi-permanent dye that matched my virgin hair color quite well. So I walked around happily with it, because it looked pretty neat!

Then it turned out greenish. :? Yes, greenish. I used ketchup at first, but it wouldn't do the trick and made my hair sticky. So the hairdresser colored it again with the same dye and the problem seemed fixed, no more green!

Now, April 2010, I have been wanting to go back to blond... I'm really sick of growing the black out, which will take forever without cutting a few inches off and it has turned into a dirty-brown color. Plus, the semi-permanent dye won't wash out! It doesn't fade anymore and I can see my roots coming! I've tried speeding up the washing process by washing two times in a row, even using agressive
shampoo but nothing seems to work!

It's not a pretty color anymore but it's stuck to my hair! :(

So to keep this part short:

* I'm stuck with two toned hair and both colors she finds ugly. The semi-permanent dye won't fade anymore and it stuck, the black isn't worth calling black anymore.

What to do? My wishes:

* I don't want to cut off a lot of hair because I already cut of 2,5 inch recently and that was enough for me. I also want it to be long so badly!

* I want to dye it blond, because I think it suits me best. I've grown out blond before because it's not as bad as growing out other colors. I'm a medium dark-blond myself and I succeeded in getting my virgin hair back in 2008. But it's a pretty boring color and I got tired of it within a year. Plus, back when I was a lighter blond everyone thought it was my natural color. It just suits me...

* I'm going to Aruba for five weeks in june and I would love the be blond by then. :sun:

So I hope you guys, with lots of hair-experience could give me some tips! My hair is very strong and I'm sure it will pass the dying with succes. But I'm going to a sunny island with lots of sea water (and hell I'm not gonna give up swimming!) and I wonder how I could protect my hair against all this.
I also read on another forum I shouldn't dye it right before I go, so I decided to do it this week, or not at all. So Friday is the deadline!

Should I do it? :undecided

Shermie Girl
April 27th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Okay, from the sound of it, you have a lot if dark, fading dye in your hair. All of that needs to be removed before you can go blonde. After the dark dye is gone, you can then tint to blonde.

I strongly suggest that you go to a good colourist you trust to do this process, especially since your hair has already been through so much, colour wise.

I don't suggest trying to remove the colour yourself. Most removers for home use are for permanent dye and you have semi and demi in your hair. So they won't work for you.

Seriously, see a good stylist. Have a consult and get an honest assessment of what can be done for your hair. I don't think that this is a job that you can do yourself. :flower:

spidermom
April 27th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Summer is a good time to wear your hair up or braided most of the time. You could treat it to coconut oil or conditioner before you braid it, then it will be protected from sun and swimming.

About the color - I don't know much about that. But bunning hides a variety of "sins", and multiple colors look very good in braids.

VitaR86
April 27th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Wow, sounds like your stylist doesn't know what she's doing. You are having way too many color issues.

Okay so you've washed your hair about a million times and the color still isn't out? You can put a permanent dye over it. I know lots of people say your not suppose to and that you have to wait....But if you are constantly washing it and nothing is coming out, then obviously nothing else will. I went through this myself back on 2005. I bleached my hair and added a semi permanent dye (bright red) Once all that was gonna wash out, washed out, my hair was still a redish blonde. I actually liked this, so it wasn't bad.......until I had about two inches of roots showing. I wasn't digging the color against the roots so I went ahead and through a permanent dye over it that resembled my natural color.

if it were me, I'd slowly dye it blonde. Start by dying it a lighter brown, then every few weeks dye it a shade or two lighter. This would be easier on your hair too. Less Damaging.

Snowcold
April 27th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I wasn't planning on doing the coloring myself, I honestly have no experience! I think I'll go to my regular hairdresser, she managed to make blond out of purple so I guess she's good! :p

But I'll go for a more natural shade this time, because I hate the yellow.

The coconut oil sounds great! So does the braiding, it will also come in handy during work (I'm in Aruba for an internship), problem is my hair has many layers that pop out easily and I can't braid to save my life...

Guess I'll practice with some YouTube videos! :D

Thanks for the help so far!

Snowcold
April 27th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Well, I've been to different stylists because I moved to another town last year. It's really weird, because I once dyed my hair brown Casting Crème Gloss (or something) and it washed out after three times, so I thought semi-permanent wouldn't hold this long!

And going to a lighter brown is not an option, because that's going the opposite way (I'm a natural medium/dark blond). But still it's a good idea, to not go extremely blond immediately... :)

LoveMyMutt
April 27th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I'm a natural medium/dark blond.

Here's what NOT to do: One time I dyed my hair dark red, then got bored with that and cyed it jet black over the red dye and it looked REALLY bad on me. I wanted to go blond again so I use a color remover to strip the black dye. This left me with some parts that were white (my roots), and the rest was a mix of orange and yellow. I stripped it AGAIN and then colored over it with blond hair dye, and it was still very orangey/yellow and brassy so I put Sun-in in it and sat in the Florida sun for a week. My hair was breaking off by the time I came back. I tried dying it darker to blend in with my roots as I grew it out but it was so damaged it barely held color any more. Fortunately it was short at the time so I just kept it short for a few months until the nasty bleached breaking off parts were cut off.

So....I guess my advice would be to GO TO A PROFESSIONAL for such a drastic change. And be prepared for a major trim.

Mutinous
April 27th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I would say your biggest challenge is getting a uniform colour- with the amount of dye in your hair, even if you bleached it, it would be uneven. How light did you want to go? You could bleach it (put coconut oil on it first and it will help protect it) and then go over the bleach with an ashy blonde, that should give you a more uniform colour, in theory.

In the meantime, it may be worth looking into honey-lightening to try and lift some of the dye out. I think baking soda does the trick to (look around the site, there will be a lot more info on it somewhere) or you could always mix a tiny bit of bleach with your shampoo so it will lift the colour each time you wash a little bit.

I would also just chop the black out, and try and work with the rest. Black is not all that reliable when it comes to lightening, and it could go a variety of colours. Of course, if you don't want to lose the length that's your choice, but it will grow back, and the process of lightening will likely cause you to lose some length anyway.

Failing all of that, have you tried something like Colour Oops! that will strip some of the dye out?

Amraann
April 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Your best bet if you just cannot tolerate it any further is to go for a medium brown.

I understand that you want it blond but you also want it long.
So go for the brown and then you can gradually lighten from there. A golden brown should help prevent the accidental green from popping up.
You can strip it and then have it bleached but that will be highly damaging to your hair which will not help with the growth.

I would discuss these options with your colorist who knows your hair texture etc. better.

Snowcold
April 27th, 2010, 01:39 PM
On thing's for sure: I'm not doing it myself, I'm waaaay to scare it'll turn out like a mess!

Chopping of the black isn't as easy as it sounds, because then I'd have to chop off all my hair to chin length and I'm NOT doing that. I once had my hair chin length and I almost cried because it looked horrible... Never again.

I'm not sure about the brown, because if it's too dark of a brown I would have t strip it anyway. So yeah, I'll discuss it with my hairdresser. But I have to say, she pulled it off before to strip the purple and make it blond and my hair wasn't really damaged at all. And if I'm lucky, only the black part needs stripping...

I think I'm gonna go tomorrow (we have a non-appointment salon), because I just saw my hair in the daylight and it scared me! It turns out to be lighter than I thought, but it looks dirty/greenish/yellowish (hell, I can't even describe the color! :P)

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll keep my fingers crossed! :D

Oskimosa
April 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM
First question really is, what condition is your hair in? Pretty good? Mushy?

If you can follow directions easily and aren't intimidated to do it yourself or with the help of a friend, use ColorFix. Or ColorOops.

If you have resilient hair and it's in pretty good condition, and you're really wary of messing with your own hair, go on to a good salon (NOT hair cuttery... I had a similar issue and they were just going to dump 40 volume on my hair. JCPenny just told me to dump lemon juice on it at home. Yes, I'm serious.) It will cost anywhere from $150-350 to get it fixed and tinted right, depending on how much hair you have and how their prices run.

If I were you, I'd just use the coloroops and follow with a semi-permanent color like Clairol Second Nature. After coloring and stripping my hair 3 times (yes 3) I found this brand (available at Sallys) mixed with 10 vol bleach was the only thing that held in my hair. I even put Dark Chocolate color on my hair and had it hold after all that :p

Unofficial_Rose
April 27th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I second the suggestion for Colorfix. It smells horrible, but it's FAR more gentle than bleach or dye.

Once you've Colorfixed it all out, maybe a dark blonde semi-permanent?

talecon
April 28th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I dyed my hair alot (now I henna alot) I've had some color that just stuck to my hair and refused to budge without bleach. You're probably gonna have to bleach alot going from a very dark to a light but if your hair can handle it, go for it. And use a toner to avoid brassiness. And dont forget to condition tons. If your natural color is dark, root upkeep is gonna be a pain but you said you've been blonde before so you already know.
I too agree, sounds like your hairdresser knows nothing since she fudged up ur hair plenty before.

Sammich
April 28th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Sounds almost exactly like me(Even the cut), except without unnatural colours involved, plus mine were permanents. :p
I dyed black over my red, it became an icky alrightish brown after a while, then later on it became an alright browny/blacky/blonde to me. I got used to it, I just went with how my hair was and coped with my slightly two toned. (Because I wanted virgin hair so much) Guess you don't want that though, so I have no advice reallyyy. Perhaps you could put a perm dye on top of the semi/demi dyes, it will end up two toned anyway though so... *Shrug* :p
Welcome to LHC by the way. ;)

Sammich
April 28th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Edit: Gahh. Double post. >>
:o

Snowcold
April 28th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Hey guys, I did it!

And I'm super happy! They had a big discussion at the salon about how to do it and after telling me the consequences I was like: ah well, let's try anyway!

But it didn't turn out a light blond, she made the black waaay lighter but it turned out some warm, red-blond color. She stripped the top part too, but not as much and then pigmented it with copper. Then she dyed over it with a warm-blond/brown color and now my hair is one color again! There's still a very slight difference, but that looks actually pretty cool.

I feel like a redhead and a blond at the same time, and I love it!

Thanks for the tips everyone! :D

Sammich
April 29th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Show pics please! I'm very curious in how it turned out, it sounds beautiful! Strawberry blonde? :D

Oskimosa
April 29th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Yea, pics or it never happened. ;)