PDA

View Full Version : SMT didn't go so well

coscass
April 26th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I tried my first official SMT with aloe vera gel, and I gotta say I was expecting more. I think maybe the conditioner I used wasn't the best. I actually can't remember if it was on the "good for SMT list" or not, but I know it wasn't on the "bad for SMT list."

I dunno. My hair just felt frizzy and kinda blah. Maybe it was the honey? I used a lot more honey than I've ever used before. Normally I just drizzle a little bit in- this time I added quite a bit more.

clichepithet
April 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I have nothing to add other than my hair cries mutiny when I do an SMT too. Still haven't figured out what it is yet, though I gave up doing them. So now if I want a "deep-treatment" I just use condish or coconut oil or both, depending on how soon I'm showering and such. Like, I'll go heavy the night before with the oil and then the next day, about half an hour to an hour before shower I hit the length with (lots of) condish and then shower as usual. :shrug:

ArienEllariel
April 26th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Honestly the results I get from an SMT vary drastically depending on what conditioner I use. For example, my hair hate hate hated any sort of Suave cheapy conditioner. It was the alcohols in it that wrecked my hair. You may have to fiddle around with it til you find something that works for you.

Arctic_Mama
April 26th, 2010, 09:55 PM
My hair hated it with a hippy conditioner (Jason or Aubrey organics, I think) but loved it with good old VO5. I just did it last night with great results. This is one of those things where your mileage will definitely vary.

sarah061
April 26th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I did my first SMT the other day and my hair didn't seem to like it either! It just looked very frizzy afterwards. Maybe I heated it up too much... Or maybe it was the Jason conditioner that I used? I don't know. But for now I think I'm gonna stick to my Great Clips brand deep conditioner for special treatments. Haven't really been in the mood for experiments lately, now that I've *finally* found a routine that my hair likes I'm afraid of ruining it all somehow, haha.

spidermom
April 26th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I wasn't impressed enough to keep using SMT. I like Joico K-Pak; that's a good deep treatment - for my hair, anyway.

little_cherry
April 26th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Honey can be the culprit for frizziness...try using maple syrup, or blackstrap molasses (for dark hair), or coconut oil instead of the honey.

Flynn
April 27th, 2010, 12:15 AM
The one time I did it with honey, it didn't work so well.

I usually use treacle (brunette, want to be darker) or glucose syrup ('cause it's colourless and washes well).

I prefer Joico K-Pak Reconstructor -- just like Spidermom -- but at AUD30 a tube, and a tube lasts me three treatments at most, I try not to do it too often! SMT is almost as good, and much, much cheaper!

ETA: I use a moderately thick, absolutely no-frills conditioner (Melrose Rainwater Soft Everyday Conditioner Base, I don't know if you can get it outside of Aus), and add a wee bit of oil for mine.

aisling
April 27th, 2010, 03:35 AM
My hair doesn't like honey, however much I rinse, it seems to leave some kind of residue which doesn't happen with a conditioner + aloe mix. I've stopped using honey and my hair is happy with deep treatments done with commercial deep treatments, they work better for me and don't have to be expensive.