PDA

View Full Version : Beach Waves/Encouraging waves on 1c/2a hair?

ArienEllariel
April 25th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I have 1c/2a hair and for those of you with this hairtype you know that the straightness/wavyness varies from day to day. It's quite frustrating really. I love the look of beach waves but I have no idea how to get my hair to cooperate and be more wavy. Not combing after a shower would be impossible unless I wanted a ratsnest. Without using saltwater, is there any other way to get my waves to come out and stay all day? I tried doing a search on beach waves but nothing came up. :shrug:

Peter
April 25th, 2010, 09:38 PM
For me, one single braid gives me loose waves, but I think beach waves are more defined than that. Multiple braids on damp hair might work.

ArienEllariel
April 25th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I should mention that I've tried braiding and while that makes my hair look kinky and it does stay, the ends get all krinkly/funky looking from the elastic.. It does make for great looking "Eowyn" hair aside from that.

DragonLady
April 25th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Sometimes after washing and detangling I seperate all of my hair into about 5 or 6 braids, then let it dry like that. It gives me nice waves with a lot of body.

DragonLady
April 25th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Use a length of ribbon instead of the elastics?

ArienEllariel
April 25th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Use a length of ribbon instead of the elastics?

You're a genious! :D I'll go try that tomorrow! *hug* :cheese:

Kaileida
April 25th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Scrunch! Scrunch scrunch scrunch! If you need to comb first, do that, then after it's all combed out take some pomade or something similar and just scrunch it into your hair. You can twirl pieces around your finger to get more defined curls. As for the volume that comes with beach waves... I haven't figured that out yet >.< Maybe flip your head upside down? If you're not too averse to it, blowdry? Just a little cool air over your roots. I've heard that helps with volume.

Kaileida
April 25th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Of course, my hair is naturally more curly than yours... so YMMV.

spidermom
April 25th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Do you know how to make a bees butt bun? You can do 2 or 3 of them on top of your head overnight, and your hair will be wavy the next day. You might need a little gel to hold the wave, and it might work better on slightly damp hair rather than dry. You don't want it too wet or it won't dry - well, mine wouldn't, anyway. Good luck!

When I want maximum wave/curl, I comb conditioner through in the shower, rinse, press water out between flannel pillowcases, then I air-dry. I have to be careful not to mess my hair around too much so it will wave and curl but not tangle.

spidermom
April 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Here's a tip for braid ends. Braid all the way to the end, wrap a piece of ribbon around and around the end, then put the elastic over that.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/tools.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/agedbraid.jpg

It's like magic - no wonky ends.

DragonLady
April 26th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Here's a tip for braid ends. Braid all the way to the end, wrap a piece of ribbon around and around the end, then put the elastic over that.

Awesome! I'll have to try that, myself. :) Easier than winding 8" of ribbon around and around and around. :)

Flynn
April 26th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Scrunch! Scrunch scrunch scrunch! If you need to comb first, do that, then after it's all combed out take some pomade or something similar and just scrunch it into your hair. You can twirl pieces around your finger to get more defined curls. As for the volume that comes with beach waves... I haven't figured that out yet >.< Maybe flip your head upside down? If you're not too averse to it, blowdry? Just a little cool air over your roots. I've heard that helps with volume.

I agree with this: look up the curly methods of scrunching and plopping. They should give you something like the type of "clumpy" waves you're after.

manderly
April 26th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Ah, please follow the link in my siggy for waves. They should work for you :)

Flynn
April 26th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Ah, please follow the link in my siggy for waves. They should work for you :)

But don't get upset if they don't! >_o Manderly's a dirty cheater; she was really a curly in disguise!

What I mean is, they work marvelously for a lot of people, but for some of us, there's just no way in the world that they'll hold. No idea why.

manderly
April 26th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Hahahah, yes, Flynn is correct. Turned out I was a big liar mcfibberson. I only suggest it here since the OP has 2a hair. I'm surprised it didn't work for you Flynn, I thought 2s would have at least some luck with it :)

Addy
April 26th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I'm stuck in the wavy/straight abiss. I just don't fight with it anymore. I say, "HAIR! Do what you want cuz you're gonna do it anyways!" :D

dropinthebucket
April 26th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Same thing here - on humid days, i have lots of waves. On dry days, straight as bone. I think i put down 1c/2a in my profile, but it really depends on the weather.

Have tried braiding, but it doesn't really give the same look as my natural waves, at all. Can't describe exactly why - too regular? not enough twist, just soft kink? Hard to say, but it's not the same, and if I do one braid, the hair from about 3 inches out of the scalp never really gets the effect, so it's just on the rest of the length. If i do more braids, with my fine, thin hair, I get krinkles, instead of waves - you know, like the crimper setting on the flat iron (not that I use that! just a comparison!! ) Scrunching requires hair gel for me, on dry days, and leaves crunchy sections. Oh, and I forgot to mention the worst bit - on half-humid days, the hair just waves here and there a wee little bit, in all the wrong places, sticking out like horns at the bangs or other sticking-out places. The only reliable get-it-all-naturally-looking-wavy thing i've found is humidity.

What i've been doing: on dry days, just keeping it conditioned so at least it's not fly-away. on half-humid days, taming the flips with gel or a bit of straight conditioner. on humid days, revelling in the lovely wavy hair, and vowing to move somewhere with that kind of climate permanently! so i guess this isn't much help, but it's so great to hear from another 1c/2a! *you are not alone - we are all in this together!* :)

rags
April 26th, 2010, 07:14 AM
My hair won't cooperate with me at ALL if I try to get it to wave. I can do braid waves, but they do not look "beachy". The only time I ever get those beautiful beachy waves is.......at the beach!
That said, I just go full out for loose curls. Pillow curlers or rag curlers slept on overnight. Oh, and I have had some success with Spidermom's suggestion of the bee butt bun, though I have to do two or three. It works on days my hair feels like it! :p
1c/2a can be frustrating. I usually just comb mine straight wet and forget about it. I've never had any consistent success in encouraging the waves at all.

Coffeebug
April 26th, 2010, 08:26 AM

That right there, is pure genius!

Honestwitness
April 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/honestwitness/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzcuanBn.jpg

How's this for beachy waves? See my blog for details on how I achieved this. I'm a 2a.

Flynn
April 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Hahahah, yes, Flynn is correct. Turned out I was a big liar mcfibberson. I only suggest it here since the OP has 2a hair. I'm surprised it didn't work for you Flynn, I thought 2s would have at least some luck with it :)

It came up in some other thread.... probably the Wavy and Wurly, a while back. Turns out that among the wavies and wurlies, there are at least a small number of us who absolutely can't get it to hold! No idea why. Mine just falls straight back into the pattern it would have if it just air-dried. I get, you know, ten minutes of Manderly waves, and then, blah. Back to regular Flynn-hair.

Capybara
April 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Here's an article on how to get waves :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

I've never tried it, but have been meaning to for the past while! It looks like it would make really good waves.

My hair holds waves fairly well. I can make rag curls or use large foam rollers and, while the tight curls take product to stay in, the waves will stay for days :) HTH :flower:

Kristin
April 26th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Do you know how to make a bees butt bun? You can do 2 or 3 of them on top of your head overnight, and your hair will be wavy the next day. You might need a little gel to hold the wave, and it might work better on slightly damp hair rather than dry. You don't want it too wet or it won't dry - well, mine wouldn't, anyway.

I agree. I do the same thing, except that I do cinnabuns and hold them with Good Days hair pins overnight. If I do them VERY SLIGHTLY damp (if too damp they will not dry at all), they hold great the next day.

x0h_bother
April 26th, 2010, 08:54 PM
word on the street is the curly girl method of plopping (or "plunking") works for wavys to encourage the wave. how much natrual wave you have really depends on the success of this method.
(PS) I undertype my hair, so I likely have much more wave than you. I am probably 2c.

manderly
April 27th, 2010, 02:43 AM
It came up in some other thread.... probably the Wavy and Wurly, a while back. Turns out that among the wavies and wurlies, there are at least a small number of us who absolutely can't get it to hold! No idea why. Mine just falls straight back into the pattern it would have if it just air-dried. I get, you know, ten minutes of Manderly waves, and then, blah. Back to regular Flynn-hair.

Well dagnabit! I wonder if I should delete it. I didn't realize at the time that I had an unfair advantage. :mad:

Flynn
April 27th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Well dagnabit! I wonder if I should delete it. I didn't realize at the time that I had an unfair advantage. :mad:

No, no, don't; it did work for a lot of people. For some of us, though, our natural pattern was just too strong, and it won in the end! ;p

Karala
April 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Plopping!!

dropinthebucket
April 28th, 2010, 06:39 AM
um....what is plopping?? curious barely-wavies want to know! :)

Flynn
April 28th, 2010, 05:21 PM
um....what is plopping?? curious barely-wavies want to know! :)

http://www.wikihow.com/Plop-Your-Hair

She leans forward to do it, so her hair is on top of her head. I prefer to lean backward, so it's on the back of my head. I get heaps of tangles if I do it that way, but my hair is just very tangle-prone.

ArienEllariel
April 28th, 2010, 05:48 PM
As soon as finals week is over, I'll have to try some of these ideas. :D Thanks all!