PDA

View Full Version : How to make long hair look short?

Vela
April 25th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I have three mini probs, first is I need to make my TB length hair look super short and what can I use to temporarily make it pinkred, and my friend needs to make her hair a dark reddish colour. (She's going as Magenta and I'm going as Colombia from Rocky Horror) Colombia wears a top hat so I could hide some of my hair under there I think.

(Wow I haven't posted here in forever! :o :p )

Flynn
April 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Easiest way: a wig.

To get your hair underneath, I personally find the easiest way is to make several flat 3-strand braids distributed around your head, and pin them evenly down, so they are flat and tidy against your head. Put a wig-cap over the top, and then the wig.

Aleria
April 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Buy a wig? Sorry, I'm a cosplayer, so when I need to do a hairstyle for a character, that's what we do. You can check out local places, or online at Cosworx, Amphigory or Ebay (making sure you check feedback)

Vela
April 25th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks, never worn a wig so this could be interesting! lol
Still, what should my friend do for her hair. (which is quite dark BTW) Her hair is poofy and the right length, so she doesn't have a problem there.

Olde Soul
April 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM
You might try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B347qKB9Kag
Might not be quite short enough for Columbia but it would at least be shorter.

As for color, I'd go with the temporary spray-on color, you can get it at most party stores.

Aleria
April 25th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Spray on colour usually doesn't look that good, if your friend is willing to put up with the colour for a few months, I'd suggest manic panic over her natural colour, but leave it in for a really long time.

Purdy Bear
April 26th, 2010, 02:51 AM
You can do a Bob updo that looks pretty convincing. There are tutorials how on You tube, but heres how Iv done it:

Take the hair back into a very low pony tail, and loosely english braid from where you want the bob to start. You then coil up the braided end up and under the rest of the hair and pin securely at the nape of the neck. If you need to, pin the sides.

With practice this can look pretty good!

Wigs can be brought pretty cheaply on Ebay (well they can in the Uk). You will need to get a hair cap/cover, so that you can tuck in your own hair, and then place the wig on top. Most of the wigs (check for it), have small tags at the back so you can size them to your own head. The inside of some wigs are quite harsh so thats why you need to cover your own.

Synthetic wigs are pretty good, although they do make you itch if you have sensitive skin. I have a real hair wig as well as synthetic and the real one is much softer on my facial skin.

There are some brilliant You Tube Videos on how to choose a wig, and its care.

They come in every colour and length. If you can try going to a shop just to try some on.