PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal shedding!

deviantkitten
April 25th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Hello all!
Lately, I have been experiencing more shedding than normal when I comb. A little background info-
I have switched my shampoo to a solid shampoo, but have kept the same conditioner- the shedding started before I switched, so I am sure this is not the culprit
I wash and condition every 4-5 days. I have been doing this for allot longer than the shedding
I oil my length from the ears down the night before I wash- again, I have been oiling much longer than I have experienced the shedding, and I don't oil my scalp, just the length, so I don't think this is the culprit either
I wear my hair up every day for the last 45 days or so- I make sure the style is not too tight, or too loose, just secure enough to stay.....and again, my shedding has only gotten worse for the last couple of weeks
I don't use any heat, chemicals, or styling products of any kind- I can't remember the last time I have used any of these. It has probably been a few years
I comb only on dry or oiled hair- this is when all my shedding happened....but have been doing this for a cpl months now with increased shedding only in the last cpl weeks
No change to my diet, am currently not taking any vitamins, supplements, or medications

So, I am wondering- for those of you who wear their hair up every day- do you think I am just loosing the hairs I would be loosing if I were to have my hair down?
Do ppl shed more during changing of the seasons?

I have never really "kept track" of my shedding rate- but yeah the last couple weeks it has been really bad!!! I am not losing it in clumps, but these last cpl weeks whenever I comb I am loosing waaaaaaayyyy more than I have noticed before. And nothing has changed except my shampoo, which I didn't switch until after the shedding had started. Please tell me I am not crazy!!! LOL. I am hoping this is just seasonal, or the result of wearing my hair up every day- loosing hairs that aren't naturally being shed if I were to wear my hair down.
I know everyone sheds, and it is normal to shed up to 100 hairs a day. In truth, I am not collecting and counting my shed hairs, but I am just shedding.......so......much!

Fiferstone
April 25th, 2010, 06:14 PM
People do indeed experience the spring shed of the winter coat that other mammals experience. My cats and I are busily creating an army of dust-and-fur bunnies.

I think it's the fact that winter's ending and spring is beginning, myself.

deviantkitten
April 26th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks, Fiferstone.
Any one else with input?

jeanniet
April 26th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I shed more in spring and fall. Hasn't started yet (we've had a cool spring), but around May/June I'll be losing considerably more hair. Try giving it a month and see if it slacks off. :)

deviantkitten
April 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I shed more in spring and fall. Hasn't started yet (we've had a cool spring), but around May/June I'll be losing considerably more hair. Try giving it a month and see if it slacks off. :)

Thanks Jeanniet!
I thought as much, but I never really payed attention to seasonal shedding, so I hope, and think, it is just that. Kinda freaks me out, but it is all part of the cycle. Let's just hope it doesn't last long!

beez1717
April 26th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Heh. I've been having less shedding then usual. Must be because i'm in California. I wish I had the 4 seasons instead of "hot" and "40 at night is FREEZING"
the people here are weird and put on gloves and scarfs at that temperature!

clichepithet
April 26th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I've entered my spring shed too. :( Not too long after I thought I was done with my postpartum shed. And I do wear my hair "up" in some fashion more often than not. So... not much help there other than I feel ya.

ArienEllariel
April 26th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Heh. I've been having less shedding then usual. Must be because i'm in California. I wish I had the 4 seasons instead of "hot" and "40 at night is FREEZING"

Ugh. I can relate. I live in the south so we have two seasons: Summer and Spring/Fall-ish. During the latter, most residents of my state bundle up in coats, hats, and scarves when it's barely 45-50 degrees. Personally I can't wait until I can move somewhere northerly. I hate the sticky sweaty summers and long for the cooler weather that never seems to stick around for long. While I sit around enjoying cool/"cold" weather, my neighbors turn their heat up and act like it's snowing outside.. which is a laugh because it doesn't snow here. :rolleyes:

jeanniet
April 26th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Lol, I *am* in CA, but north of SF. Average summer low is 48 degrees. Not hot here!

Tovah
April 26th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I was going to start a similar thread.
Over the past . I'm shedding more and more. I put it up in a loose braid or twist it with a scrunchie head band when I oil it before I go to sleep. I would write more but it appers that the sleep meds are kicking in and I'm nodding between sentences. I wear it up every day and use a ficccare, but alternatd with a loose schrunchie.

slleepppsnsppooooozxes.................