PDA

View Full Version : Who has East Asian hair?

sapphire-o
May 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'm just curious who here has East Asian hair. You know, China, Japan, Korea. I'm sure it would include many Southeast Asian countries, too, though I'm not entirely sure about the hair type of the people there. It would definitely not include South Asian countries like India. Indian hair seem to have a very different texture. If you're mixed and your hair looks and acts like East Asian hair that would count, too. :)

Sometimes I feel like my hair tips are not applicable to most people here because of my hair type. And you can't see that from my stats - 2a/M/ii is probably one of the most common types here. :) I found that there's so much difference between my DH's hair (typical Northern European hair) and mine, usually products and tools that work well for us are the complete opposite.

So, who else has E. Asian hair? Let's hear your routine, tips and hair concerns. Even if you have nothing to say about your hair, just say I'm here so I know I'm not alone. Statistically speaking, about 1/4 of the world population should have East Asian hair, right? :D

Snowblood
May 7th, 2008, 12:28 AM
You are surely not alone. ;)

My hair is fairly straight and not as thick as yours, sapphire-o. Though itīs quite resistive, so that I only have a few splits. My problem is that it tends to be stringy, I have to wash more often (about every 3-4 days).

Elle
May 7th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Hello Sapphire-o! I'm here! :waving: My hairtype is a bit different from you, but I'm sure your hair tips are applicable all across the board. I have other non-Asian hairtype twins that share similar results with products that I do. Chelles2kids comes to mind. :grin: I've found that I can use almost all of the same products that my hairtwin, Hairstorm, uses with similar results, but even then she can occasionally use oils where I can't. Both Hairstorm and I are Japanese. :)

ajr
May 7th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Just chiming in because this is an interest of mine. My mom is mainly Malay with some Chinese and Thai added and my dad's from Georgia with a lot of Northern European background. It's so odd how different their hair is. My dads is so much softer it's almost clothlike in texture when you compare it with my mom's hair which is like touching slippery wire.

Jae6
May 7th, 2008, 01:12 AM
i'm islander/filipino, but when i was little i had asian straight super thick type C hair...oh man, and it was jet black/blue-black! i only have 1/4th of that left, and it's underneath, which is kinda fun because when i wear my hair wavy it trips people out when i pull it half up because underneath is still straight and black (it's 1b, btw). also sucks because trying to curl it to match the rest of my head is...not fun.

my hair still behaves asian-like in the sense that it can take a good beating from heat styling and whatnot, but because my skin needs TLC, my hair gets it, too, so no sulfates and no 'cones for me. my hair is also perpetually thirsty...

around here it's hard to find people w/ coarse hair that's also wavy, but when i do, i keep an eye on them because usually their recs work for me, too.

so what kind of suggestions/tips do you have, sapphire? =)

meichigo
May 7th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I don't, but my half-Japanese boyfriend sure does. If anyone wants to give me any tips to pass onto him, I would greatly appreciate it!

We need to find him a good shampoo; his hair is really thick and a lot of shampoos tend to make random strands go all wonky and weirdly curly... I pull out the really weird ones and go "inbo, inbo!" (pubic hairs...) Additionally, when I pull them out I can see a lot of strange variation in thickness along the length, where it will be visibly thinner in one place (but not just the ends, it's in the middle).

Does anyone here know about what I'm describing??

sapphire-o
May 7th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Yay I found some of you! :D I know there are more, though. As for tips, not sure. I think E. Asian hair is very resistant to damage, but it's resistant to styling, too. The slip makes updos much more difficult. Not to mention the stubborness. I found that sometimes sore scalp is caused purely by my hair trying to pull away from being pinned down. Of course the biggest perk is detangling is easy. I don't worry about it even if I don't comb my hair at all between washes. Great hair for rock musicians. :D

My hair is not picky about what I use to wash it, but my scalp is very picky. I experimented with all sorts of stuff since joining and it didn't like any of them, until I switched to shampoo bar only last summer. I think it did like some Indian herbs, too, but they're messier than shampoo bars.

I have no experience with dry hair. I think oiling should help, but I'll let more experienced people give advices. :)

Mechigo, sounds like your BF has mixed hair types. I don't think shampoo can change that. Maybe some can make them lie flat nicely, but they probably won't go away.

meichigo
May 7th, 2008, 11:24 AM
It's weird, because it's just a few random hairs. Some days it's worse than others, and it seems like most of the shampoo we have at my house seems to aggravate it. I don't know. His sister has really nice hair, and I'm not sure if it's because she takes much better care of hers or if he got the short end of the genetic stick.

Morticia
May 8th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Hey, I just saw this thread. I'm bumping it since I know there are more of us here.

(I started a thread like this when I was new here, and back then, there were only about 4 of us, and we all had different hairtypes. :))

Saoirse
May 8th, 2008, 01:49 PM
My father is Chinese, hence my naturally straight hair. (My mother is white.) I have had a hard time with strand thickness though -- I seem to have a combination of F, M and C hairs. My hairs are also sometimes thicker and thinner at various points along the shaft. :)

Cichelle
May 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM
My daughter does! Her hair looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/Aislinn/xiahairmay08.jpg

Sorry it's a bit blurry...plus excuse the boxes, we are in the middle of getting ready to sell our place/move.

Biggest problem I'm having these days with my daughter's hair is tangles on the ends especially. Her hair is long enough that it gets into everything. I'd like to keep it up, but virtually nothing stays in her hair. It just slips right out. We are letting her bangs grow out so it's headband city...and even those like to slip right out. But I always tell her that her hair is beautiful, because it is!

Bonny
May 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Me! :waving:

Well, I'm of East Asian origin (mom and dad from China), but I'm not sure my hair is typical. I always wanted the stereotypical straight sleek hair but since adolescence, it's seemed to have a mind of its own. And ever since I hit middle age, it's gotten wavy! :confused:

Texture: it's coarse and wiry. I have lots of crinkly hairs, especially the white ones. It tends to be dry.

My hair's also fairly bendy - that is, it takes a curl easily. Too easily - it gets ponytail dents that don't go away for quite a while. I suppose this will be a good thing when it's long enough to bun... I like the idea of bun waves. :)

I seem to be the only one of my sisters to have the wavy hair. They all seem to have 1b/c hair.

Morticia
May 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
My brother and I have extremely different hairtypes, but we both have extremely bad reactions to SLS. I wash and condition everyday and henna every month. Beyond that, the only product that I've used faithfully is Moonchaser's Sweet Success Oil.

vindo
May 9th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I am part Japanese and part White. My looks are definetly more on the white side but my hair has this very sleek, straight look to it .
I have an oily hairtype btw...dry is something I have not experienced yet.
My hair is dark brown, depending on the light it looks darker sometimes and my henna makes it shine lighter actually.:)
Overall it is a solid M (0.06-0.07mm) but both my parents have rather M hair I would say so it does not surprise me.
People tend to think I have F hair btw., its also really soft...so thats even more confusing.
My hair does not hold updos well, especially when it was shorter.
It seems to be really resiliant towards hairdye, I had to 'torture' it for nine years monthly until it gave up and started showing damage..I also really dont have many splits at all..
Ok..now which of my hairs qualities are asian? :shrug:

Solitude
May 9th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I guess I count. I forgot what those letters and numbers mean. Let's see what I put on the profile long ago.

Pilgrim
May 9th, 2008, 10:58 PM
My daughter does! Her hair looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/Aislinn/xiahairmay08.jpg

Sorry it's a bit blurry...plus excuse the boxes, we are in the middle of getting ready to sell our place/move.

Biggest problem I'm having these days with my daughter's hair is tangles on the ends especially. Her hair is long enough that it gets into everything. I'd like to keep it up, but virtually nothing stays in her hair. It just slips right out. We are letting her bangs grow out so it's headband city...and even those like to slip right out. But I always tell her that her hair is beautiful, because it is!

Cichelle, your DD's hair is beautiful! It looks very thick. She reminds me of my DD (from China) from the back. Her hair is 1a/F/ii. It gets tangly on the ends too and as it has gotten longer I almost always braid it to keep it from getting so tangled and in the way. Her hair is really slippery too.

Here's a pic from last fall:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/jeson/keelinsim.jpg

You can't tell from the picture, but her hair has a definite reddish cast, especially in the sunlight.

daeana
May 9th, 2008, 11:30 PM
ooh, me. both of my parents are chinese. i pretty much have stereotypical east asian hair: slippery, straight, coarse. it's naturally lighter than typical, though. it also doesn't curl, and doesn't tangle easily.

flapjack
May 10th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I'm 1/4 chinese uzbeki, 1/2 russian and 1/4 french so I have the typical east asian texture with the color from the russian side (brown, red and blonde). It absolutely does not curl or wave, it is very strong, I've never seen a split end on my head (knock on wood!!!!) and so on and so forth. Only... it's not black. I also have the lovely stereotypical "asian" eyelashes that point downward. Fortunately, they are long. Unfortunately, they stab me in the eyes frequently.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/theironflapjack/glub.jpg

Kinks from my hairtie is as wavy as it gets.

Jae6
May 10th, 2008, 03:32 AM
hey bonny, i have a chinese friend who has 2cCiii hair, so you're definitely not alone (and her mom and aunts all have the same hair). it's interesting because my hair isn't as wavy as hers, but my 2c's spiral and hers doesn't at all, but her waves are tight and very pronounced.

cichelle: have you tried braiding her hair and just stopping 3-4" from the ends? i had to do that when i was little because my hair was SO slippery. definitely check out goody's anti-slip line (i think that's what it's called). i wish they had that line back when i was younger. =T

zift
May 10th, 2008, 05:56 AM
East Asian hair is always the one I desired so much and didn't have. I'm glad you didn't name it "Asian hair" because I'm west Asian and I have totally different structure than east Asian hair. It's coarse,dark and thick but totally away from being slippery and straight. I still have a fantasy to wake up one day and find myself with this sleek and silky hair like you guys but that just ain't happening:lol:

Katurday
May 10th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I am pretty much 100% Caucasian for the last 4 generations or so, but apparently, I have Asian, Persian, Black and Gypsy in me. Needless to say, my hair is a very clothy-slippery wire, its pretty dark in color, it has little wave but is mostly straight and I haven't seen splits or many signs of damage at all.

I love my hair, and I can use my Asian friend's haircare products much better than my Caucasian friend's haircare products, interestingly enough. =]

SweetPea88
May 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Well my mother is from South Korea and my father is half French and half Lebanese. Not something you hear every day right?

My hair is black with a tint of reddish brown in the summertime and sunlight. Growing up it was black and stick straight for awhile (maybe until age 6-7?) and then began to take on a life of it's own and became rather wavy and poofy. For the past 7 or so years it has remained rather wavy (2a-2c) and is very strong/resilient. It's a mix of medium and coarse strands, but I'm now experiencing some very coarse baby hairs growing in.

Cichelle
May 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
Cichelle, your DD's hair is beautiful! It looks very thick. She reminds me of my DD (from China) from the back. Her hair is 1a/F/ii. It gets tangly on the ends too and as it has gotten longer I almost always braid it to keep it from getting so tangled and in the way. Her hair is really slippery too.

Here's a pic from last fall:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/jeson/keelinsim.jpg

You can't tell from the picture, but her hair has a definite reddish cast, especially in the sunlight.

wow, I'll bet it's stunning in the sunlight! My daughter is from China, too. I'm going to try braiding her hair....if it will stay!!!

Cichelle
May 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
hey bonny, i have a chinese friend who has 2cCiii hair, so you're definitely not alone (and her mom and aunts all have the same hair). it's interesting because my hair isn't as wavy as hers, but my 2c's spiral and hers doesn't at all, but her waves are tight and very pronounced.

cichelle: have you tried braiding her hair and just stopping 3-4" from the ends? i had to do that when i was little because my hair was SO slippery. definitely check out goody's anti-slip line (i think that's what it's called). i wish they had that line back when i was younger. =T

I want to try that line of hair accessories for her. I was just looking for them at Target, but the selection was poor. I hope they work, though!

fatmoogas
May 25th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I think East Asian hair is beautiful.

flapjack
May 28th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Lame question time... what do you do with some updos and dealing with your hair slipping out of them? Are there tricks to making this work better? I can do braided updos fine, but I've been experimenting more with twisting lately and with the weight plus the slip, I can barely turn my head without it falling out. And ballet class is a joke. I've tried 30 million bobby pins and I've already nailed classmates in the stomach with pins flying everywhere after some turns. Grumble!