PDA

View Full Version : Forking around

Pixna
April 25th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Last time on Have Bun, Will Travel, Pixna was exploring the world of flat buns that can be held with a single hair stick. She has now ventured into the Forked-Up World of hair forks, and is venturing into the jungle, stalking The Great Flat Bun with a single fork.

Are there any fellow travelers who can help steer Pixna in the direction of the most secure bun that will acquiesce to the advances of a fork? Any worthwhile suggestions will be featured in an upcoming episode of Have Bun, Will Travel, so please don't hold back. What are your favorite buns to stick a fork in?

Gem
April 25th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Cinnamon buns!
Oh, we're talking about hair, right.
Still cinnamon buns :D
I also have one fork that's perfect for a figure eight, but that's not very flat.

Pixna
April 25th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Mmmm, Cinnamon Buns -- Pixna like Cinnamon Buns. :D (I feel like the Cookie Monster saying that!)

Thanks, Gem! What are some other good ones?

little_acorn
April 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM
If you have the length the Artemis bun looks huge, so can a simle Nautilus

Pixna
April 25th, 2010, 12:33 PM
If you have the length the Artemis bun looks huge, so can a simle Nautilus

I can do an "adapted" Nautilus but I haven't tried the Artemis yet -- I'll look into that. I don't know if this was a typo or whether you meant something else, but what is a "simle" Nautilus?

Addy
April 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I don't know if this was a typo or whether you meant something else, but what is a "simle" Nautilus?

Perhaps she meant "simple" Nautilus? Hmmmm... That's what I'm thinkin.

Superfine
April 25th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Please help me find instructions for some buns on this site. I haven't been able to find Summer Flower Bun, Cheater's Split Bun, and Ballet Bun (Pencil Bun). Is this the correct place to ask? Thanks for any Help.
Superfine

Pixna
April 25th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Superfine, here is a link to the Pencil Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34). I can't help you with the other ones. You might want to start a new thread for updos for people at your current length.

Pixna
April 25th, 2010, 01:06 PM

That makes perfect sense. Thanks, Addy and Little Acorn!

Superfine
April 25th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Thank you, Pixna. I found the Summer Flower & Cheater's Split bun under "Hairstyling". I just had to look! My almost APL length is working well with all sorts of updos. It is just so slippy & fine, but I'm enjoying it. All thanks to all of you & your great hair-care advice. My hair has never been in better condition, despite my age. Thanks!
Superfine

Yozhik
April 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Pixna, it seems like we're approximately at the same length :)
I like to do a plain cinnabun secured with a hairband, then kind of pull it apart (deconstructing the cinnabun, if you will ;)), so it looks poofier -- this also makes it lie flatter. I then secure the remaining faux-large bun with a fork! Presto -- a forked, deconstructed wildebeast of the cinnabun genus :D

Excuse my silliness, and I hope that helps :silly:

Pixna
April 25th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Presto -- a forked, deconstructed wildebeast of the cinnabun genus :D

Excellent suggestion, Yozhik!! This sounds like a species worth stalking -- thank you!! :redgrin:

Kristin
April 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I usually do a cinnabun or lazy wrap. Those are pretty much the only ones I know and can do with my layers. :(

EDIT: Obviously, I do braided buns, too. (See avatar.)

rags
April 25th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I'm pretty sure your hair isn't long enough yet, but a Vortex bun lies very flat indeed. Hmm, what about an orchid bun? http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40856 (sorry, I've absolutely no idea how to make that into a one word link)

Or a split bun?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=159 I don't know if you can do that one yet at your thickness. I can do it if that helps.

Basically, I'm trying to think of buns I never do because they look too little on me! They would then be "flat" for you! :D Both of those hold very well with a fork, though!

countryhopper
April 25th, 2010, 11:27 PM
If you can't do a normal split bun yet, try a cheater's split bun: Just make a ponytail, but don't pull all the way through on the last pull-through. You'll now have a chignon looking thing. split this in half, weave a fork (or stick) in the center to hold it open.

I'm not even at APL yet, I I can do this easily! I think even those with barely-shoulder length could do it!

Pixna
April 26th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Thanks, Kristin, Rags, and Countryhopper!

Kristin, the Lazy Wrap Bun works like a charm with a fork. It's almost like it was made for it. So far, this is my favorite fork bun.

Rags, thank you for the suggestions and links! I'm going to have to practice the Orchid Bun, as I can actually understand these instructions (they seem left-handed!) -- I just have to get it "into my hands," so to speak. I'm not sure if I can do the Split Bun yet -- my hair is either too thick or not the right length yet. It's another one I'm going to have to keep practicing. Thanks again!!

Countryhopper, I avoid elastics, so the Cheater's Bun isn't for me. I've got enough length now to do "real" buns -- my challenge is figuring out which ones will work best with my thickness and length and are well suited for forks.

little_acorn
April 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM

Yup I am the typo queen - simple Nautilus is what I meant

restourceful
April 26th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Dog gone it, Pixna, I haven't even caught up on the single stick buns yet and you are totally causing me to need to to buy a fork! *sigh* I guess I'll be hanging out on the swap board...again! You enabler, you.;)

MommaJ
April 26th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Where do you get all those pretty hair sticks and forks? I have seen a ton across this board and must get one, or ten, lol. Are there posters here that make and sell them?

Pixna
April 27th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Dog gone it, Pixna, I haven't even caught up on the single stick buns yet and you are totally causing me to need to to buy a fork! *sigh* I guess I'll be hanging out on the swap board...again! You enabler, you.;)

I live to enable you, Restourceful!!! :smirk: Now, let me know what you purchase, please!! :gabigrin:

Where do you get all those pretty hair sticks and forks? I have seen a ton across this board and must get one, or ten, lol. Are there posters here that make and sell them?

I buy my sticks and forks on Etsy.com. Take a look around -- there are tons of artists. It all depends on what your taste is and what your pocketbook can handle. :D

restourceful
April 27th, 2010, 07:09 AM
MommaJ, you can also find linkys in some people's signature lines that will take you to their etsy store (or other online store) from which they sell their own wares. LHC rules prohibit hawking in threads, but makers can have a link in their siggy. It's nice that you'd like to do business with one of our own!:D

oceanwoman111
April 28th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Hey Pixna, I've never been able to fork myself. My hair just doesn't seem to hold one for very long. Maybe if I could find the right style fork it would work. Anyway, this title cracked me up. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. :)

Pixna
April 29th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Hey Pixna, I've never been able to fork myself. My hair just doesn't seem to hold one for very long. Maybe if I could find the right style fork it would work. Anyway, this title cracked me up. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. :)

That was the intent, Oceanwoman! :gabigrin: Glad I could make you smile. I used to have problems with forks, much more so than I have currently. I think it's the bun, even more than the fork, that makes the difference. With the right bun style (one that's secure without being TOO secure), almost any fork can hold it. That said, the type of fork, shape, length, and number of prongs can make or break a bun (well, not literally break it). Perhaps you could try a few different types of buns and forks to find the right combination for you. Forking oneself isn't too challenging with the right tools! :smirk:

restourceful
April 30th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Well, Pixna, I've gotten myself forked! Since you have enabled me I took advantage of the pretty 60th St. fork paper put on the swap board. Thanks again, fellow partner in buns. You are the Queen of Sticking a Fork in it. :queen:

I just tried the orchid bun with a single stick and I can actually do that one, even with all the lengths from my layers. :happydance: Yay! A new bun in my arsenal. What would I do without you? I may follow your lead and start a thread asking for buns with long layers since you have so much success with your bun threads!

Pixna
April 30th, 2010, 07:21 AM
That's great, Restourceful! I'm glad to know I was successful in tempting you! :bigtongue: I saw Paper's fork on the Swap Board and the colors suit your hair perfectly -- excellent choice!! The 60th Street forks are incredibly well made and smooth and they hold hair up like glue.

Ooo, a thread for buns with long layers sounds like a terrific idea. Go for it!! And congrats on your success with the Orchid Bun! :cheer:

PadmeAmidala
April 30th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I love the Nautilus bun; with a stick, I always need two or three scroos to make it hold. With a fork, it holds just perfect.

Pixna
April 30th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks, PadmeAmidala! I don't quite have enough length yet for a true Nautilus -- I kind of adapt it -- but I will definitely give it whirl! Thanks again!

restourceful
April 30th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Pixna, how do you adapt the nautilus?

Pixna
May 1st, 2010, 05:29 AM
Pixna, how do you adapt the nautilus?

It's kind of hard to explain, Restourceful. I basically start like a Pencil Bun -- folding the hair down and over (rather than up and over) two or three fingers and then twisting it once. Then I use that "circle" to place over the twisted "knot" in the center and stick the hair stick or fork through the openings on the left and right of the "knot," as you would with a Nautilus.

I'm sure that's about as clear as mud. :cool: Unfortunately, it's probably the best description I can come up with. If you can figure out what I'm saying and give this a try, please let me know how it works for you! :)

Stevy
May 1st, 2010, 08:29 AM
I like the double loop knot bun - I find it holds really well with a two- or three-prong fork.

http://pics.livejournal.com/ankaret/pic/000t81ta/s640x480

Pixna
May 1st, 2010, 08:41 AM
Stevy, that is SUCH a gorgeous fork. Who is the maker? Wanna swap? :D

How do you do a double loop knot bun? I'm not sure if I would have the length yet to do it, but I'd like to give it a try. Oddly, it looks like my adapted Nautilus bun somewhat.

Stevy
May 1st, 2010, 09:17 AM
Hi, Pixna! I just went off looking for double loop knot bun instructions and it turns out that what I've done there is actually EvaSimone's Stay Put Bun - there's a thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33284) and a YouTube tutorial here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6GoMSR-W48). I think you're right that it's similar to your adapted Nautilus - it's another one that starts with a loop of hair folded down and over your hand.

And thank you! It's one of my favourite forks - it's a three-prong Graydog Topo in 'Southwest' dymondwood.

Pixna
May 1st, 2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks so much, Stevy! I don't have quite enough hair yet to do the Stay Put Bun, but it's a good one to keep in my file for when my hair gets longer. I appreciate the links a lot!!!

That fork is truly stunning. If you ever want to rehome it, give me a call, please!! :gabigrin: