PDA

View Full Version : HAIRSPRAY....how "BAD" is it really?

redneckprincess
April 25th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Is it actually damaging to the hair? Or is it just not good for the hairs?
I am admitidly the ex-hairspray queen, but quit using it once I started hovering around in here over a year ago and learning all the wonderful hair care LHC has to offer. I have only used it once in the past 18 months or so.
As many of you know I will be preforming in the musical 1776 for the next 3 weekends including every day this week for FULL dress rehursal...anyways I have to slick my bangs back (without clips and pins) in ordre to look more like the MALE character I am playing...last week at dress rehursal, I tried AVG--didnt work without the clips and pins, I even tried my daughters spray gel...still didn't work so well...so my last resort is hairspray...so I wonder will I be damaging my hair by doing this? I won't brush or comb once it dries untill I can condition it every couple shows/days

Or does anyone have a healthier/safer suggestion...
TIA

Capybara
April 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Brylcreem :D

spidermom
April 25th, 2010, 11:21 AM
A few days won't hurt. It's the frequent hair sprayers who have something to worry about.

Pamper your hair with a moisture treatment when it's over.

Rapunzal2Be
April 25th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Just my thoughts, but I think the damage comes from the hairspray "glueing" strands together and then if you try to comb or brush through them you "rip" them apart, and may take part of the cuticle of the hair with it.

I don't think your use of hairspray for these performances and rehearsals is going to be that damaging, especially if once you have sprayed you don't use a comb or brush on your hair, and maybe rinse well in the shower, douse with conditioner, then rinse again before manipulating the hair when you are ready to wash.

redneckprincess
April 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Brylcreem :D

?????????

A few days won't hurt. It's the frequent hair sprayers who have something to worry about.

Pamper your hair with a moisture treatment when it's over.

That's good to hear!! :) and trust me, I can't wait for the treatment I will be giving my hair the day after the final preformance..:)

sweet*things
April 25th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I don't know if Brylcreem is the answer, I think it has mineral oil in it and might be hard to remove, but a heavy oiling would't be a bad thing to keep it slicked back. Unless you need a "dry" look for the part.

Break a leg! :D

spidermom
April 25th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Oh, and as Rapunzel said, don't try to comb or brush until the hairspray is rinsed/washed out.

Tonks
April 25th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I thought I read some members suggesting the use of aloe vera gel as a sort of homemade gel. I've never tried it, so I don't know how firm the hold is, but it's an idea :)

jaine
April 25th, 2010, 12:15 PM
How about a hard hold gel to slick your hair back? I do that all the time with no ill effects.

rach
April 25th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Just my thoughts, but I think the damage comes from the hairspray "glueing" strands together and then if you try to comb or brush through them you "rip" them apart, and may take part of the cuticle of the hair with it.

I don't think your use of hairspray for these performances and rehearsals is going to be that damaging, especially if once you have sprayed you don't use a comb or brush on your hair, and maybe rinse well in the shower, douse with conditioner, then rinse again before manipulating the hair when you are ready to wash.

I used to hairspray allot too. And i found it drying, maybe it was the coating which i did maybe. And agreed the combing/brushing out mush have cause some damage.

Water and BBB has done wonders to get me well away from the hairspray habit and it's cheaper without hairspray too :thumbsup:

Tresses
April 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I use hairspray every day. If I didn't, I'd look like a Q-tip! Granted, I don't use enough to do something like slick back bangs as the OP needs, but my hair doesn't suffer for it.

redneckprincess, you're probably going to need a styling gel and hairspray, but I think you'll be fine with the extra pampering you're planning. Break a leg! :grin:

Flynn
April 25th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I thought I read some members suggesting the use of aloe vera gel as a sort of homemade gel. I've never tried it, so I don't know how firm the hold is, but it's an idea :)

That's what she's talking about when she says "AVG". It's short for aloe vera gel.

countryhopper
April 25th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I have also read that you can make a gel out of ground flax seeds. I've never tried it though, so I'm not sure how strong the hold would be.

jera
April 26th, 2010, 12:25 AM
There's a salon near where I live that uses a product made from potato starch in a spray form to hold hair like hair spray. After negative experiences with hairspray in the past, I don't touch spray now so I've never used their product, but it sounds like a natural possibility. Potato starch would have some hold for sure.

Good luck with your role BTW.:D

countryhopper
April 26th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Now, I'm really stretching it here :D , but if you really want an all natural hold, what about something like honey? or oil? It would slick the hair back and you would be giving it a treatment at the same time!

redneckprincess
April 26th, 2010, 07:06 AM
That and the potato one sound interesting and I'd love to know if they work...but as we are so close, I need something tried and true...I practiced with the aloe Vera gel, but I think my bangs need something stronger...thanks for all your input

Now, I'm really stretching it here :D , but if you really want an all natural hold, what about something like honey? or oil? It would slick the hair back and you would be giving it a treatment at the same time!

Maddy25
April 26th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I use this as gel, it isnt a very firm hold but it works for smoothing my baby hairs :)