PDA

View Full Version : Frizzy/Puffy Hair

ammorgan
May 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I feel like I have frizzy or puffy hair. I don't know if its just because its thick, or if its truly frizzy. I can wash it and leave it down and it waves and to me it ends up looking poofy, I don't think it looks very good. It seems to frizz/puff no matter whether I air dry or use a blow drier.

Anybody else feel like they have the same problem? I think last time I typed my hair it was a 2A

jojo
May 6th, 2008, 07:15 PM
sounds like my hair! i like aloe vera gel which i put on my hair after coconut oil when wet, calms it down a lot and brings the curl out, my hair funny enough went frizzier when i used to hair dryer!

Curlsgirl
May 6th, 2008, 07:30 PM
My hair does this if I touch it while it is drying. I have found that the right products make a difference though too. Also, it is MUCH better now that is is longer. What length is yours? If it is above BSL it may get better as it gets longer. Coconut oil is my best friend along with a good leave-in, no brushing and gentle handling while wet especially but also when dry. Some 2a people might be able to help you better. If you like cones, Sunsilk anti-poof conditioner used to be my HG while my hair was shorter too. It was the only thing that made much difference then. It doesn't FEEL that great but it really helps the "poof".

KaeleyAnne
May 6th, 2008, 07:51 PM
My hair is somewhere around 2a and gets really frizzy and poofy as well. I've recently been trying conditioner-only washes (followed by a vinegar rinse) and coconut oil as a leave-in (both on damp and dry hair - I think it might work better on me when I apply the oil on damp hair). I'm still experimenting, but my hair seems to like what I'm doing. Using a comb instead of a brush also seems to be helping.

I've also found that washing my hair in the evening, letting it air dry, and then wearing it in a bun overnight helps tame the frizzies the next day. This was something that I did before I started experimenting with CO and oil, and it definitely helped.

tmmycat
May 6th, 2008, 07:56 PM
hmm, what is your current hair care routine? maybe it would help to take a step down the "ladder" of hair-washing harshness ... if you are shampooing every day try shampooing less often ... if you are shampooing infrequently try conditioner-only ... if you are using CO try WO ... etc.

my hair used to be puffy and huge and frizzy ... and for me the problem was shampoo drying my hair out. When I switched to CO it fixed 100% of the volume problem completely and fixed 80% of the frizz, and also made my hair a lot shinier which was a nice bonus. right now I am trying WO ... I might end up liking that even better because I have even less frizz. I still get thickness-related volume but not puffy-frizz-volume.

n3m3sis42
May 6th, 2008, 08:03 PM
With my hair, frizz seems to happen when it's too dry. I've found that washing more than a couple of times a week induces frizz.

Also, I really believe that either SLS or cones cause frizz for me. I've had much less frizz since I gave them up, but I don't know which one of them my hair doesn't like. It could be both, but I guess it doesn't matter too much since so far, my hair doesn't seem to *need* one if I don't use the other. :)

ammorgan
May 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I don't wash it every day, every few days when it gets greasy and nasty. If I wash my hair and then go to bed its like my hair looks like I never washed it to start with. My hair is probably a little bit longer than my shoulders. I do know that when my hair is longer its not as wavy. When I had my hair cut shorter (from BSL to about shoulders) the woman told me you know you have waves in here? They're going to show up more now that your hair is short. Well yep they definitely do.

I've left it to air dry (and not brushed or combed it), I've brushed or combed it while its wet, seems like I get the same results.

RavennaNight
May 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM
My hair is notoriously frizzy when its humid out or when its too dry. I've noticed a substantial difference since I've been oiling with coconut & jojoba oils. I'm a conehead, though. My conditioner has em. I'm not daring enough to wean myself off the cones yet. I fear the pouf will follow. :p

icydove
May 7th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I've left it to air dry (and not brushed or combed it), I've brushed or combed it while its wet, seems like I get the same results.

It may be better if you don't brush your hair, ever. Brushing my hair just turns it into a big, frizzy mess.

I'm not sure what your length goals are, if you have any, but the weight of longer hair can help tame unruly wavies.

You might also play around with some oils and butters to see if you can find anything that works for your hair. I find shea butter particularly great for fighting frizz.

soleluna
May 7th, 2008, 06:20 AM
try not brushing, damp bunning and shea butter as a leave in on ends. Oh, touch as little as possible, comb only when damp or before putting it up in a do.

ETA: check my blog for the routine I use, if you want!

tmmycat
May 7th, 2008, 06:24 AM
If you are currently shampooing every few days and still see puffiness and dryness, I think a no-silicone, no-shampoo, conditioner-only routine would be a logical thing to try. I think you would see good results with it.

buying another thing to put *in* your hair is fun :) but I like to approach the problem from a different angle: what am I removing too much of from my hair, and how can I keep what I need in there.

the scalp produces the best moisturizing oil ever. and hair in its natural state without silicone buildup, soaks it up and loves it. natural moisture is a good thing. I try to only remove extra sebum, not all of it.

spidermom
May 7th, 2008, 08:10 AM
My hair gets very fluffy as well. I use gel, either aloe vera gel or styling gel, currently Giovanni, which I like a lot. I get better results if I start with wet hands, rub about a quarter-size dollop of gel between them, then run my fingers through the ends of my hair, finishing by smoothing my palms over the surface. Then it's very important that I don't touch my hair again until I'm ready to put it up.

Oh, and I use oils, too - olive or coconut - applied to freshly washed, damp hair, also to the ends when I comb out at night before braiding or putting into a top-of-head sleep bun.

paper
May 7th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I found that using a Horn Comb helps alot with frizzys.

Ursula
May 7th, 2008, 08:23 AM
What is your current wash routine and products? It's hard to give advice if we don't know where you are starting from.

In general, for wavies, lots of moisture will help calm down frizz. If you're doing a SC routine, maybe try CWC instead, or if you're on CWC, maybe try alternating with COs. You might also try some of the leave-in moisturizing conditioners designed for curlies.

There is considerable discussion of frizz issues on the "wavy women" thread, you might try browsing it for ideas.

ruthietoothie
May 7th, 2008, 08:29 AM
My whole life I have had "puffy" hair. I always hated it. But when I started the "Curly Girl" routine, it lessened. When I switched to NW/SO, it completely dissappeared! Then I really missed my puffy hair! Now I am back to Water Only, and the puffiness is back somewhat...I am glad! My hair looks too thin w/out the puffiness. It's makes my hair look thicker than it really is (it actually is pretty thin and fine).

embrace the puffiness!:cheese::cool:

Here's a (bad) pic of what my puffy hair looked like (when I didn't blow-dry it straight...even then it would puff back up, but it was straighter, even though still puffy...) This pic was taken about 6 years ago, long before i found LHC! I haven't actually used a hair dryer in over a year now!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2178/2473866242_04a23409e4_m.jpg

KajiKodomo
May 7th, 2008, 08:36 AM
My hair puffs up after a wash, but then calms down after a few days. I have been told by a hairdresser that my hair is extremely dry. It stays pretty oily at the roots, though, so CWC works pretty well for me, followed by oil when it's mostly dry.

Babyfine
May 7th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I embrace my halo of frizz, too as it gives me some volume!!(I'm an "i")
I also use Aloe Vera gel- and coconut oil- but the oil only from the ears down as
my hair gets weighed down and looks greasy very fast.
My hair has been frizzier than usual lately but we've had very humid weather and also I just colored my hair -so I need to get a good deep treatment on, as dry hair contributes to major frizz for me.

Anje
May 7th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I can get some of that, especially with the newer, shorter hairs.

I'll echo many other people in asking specifically how you wash your hair, what products you use, etc, as changing those around may make a big difference. Shampoo can definitely result in more voluminous hair, but also much more fluffy, frizzy hair.

If you switch to a routine like CWC (condition [the length] + wash/shampoo [the scalp only], followed by conditioning everything) or CO (conditioner only -- you'll find lots of instructions and tricks for this if you search around), you may notice a significant reduction in frizz. Leave-in products, like a little regular conditioner or aloe gel, may also help. More non-typical methods like WO (water only -- literally!) or NW (no water, even, but most people go to this after WO) will probably result in even less, but not everyone is willing to try something like that.

maskedrose
May 7th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Like everyone else has already said, a detailed account of your routine would be helpful.

For me, I've found that a routine of CO followed by a leave in of 2 drops jojoba oil mixed with a little aloe gel has been an absolute godsend when it comes to the puffiness of my hair. It will always have lots of body, which I like, but at least with my routine now I get lots of beautiful, shiny, loose ringlets instead of a frizzy mass :)

Good luck in your experimenting!

Tangles
May 7th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Try to stop using cones in your regular conditioner, but you can use cones in your leave-in, especially if it's a rainy day out. I used my cone leave-in today because my hair is short and frizzes VERY easily at this length.

ammorgan
May 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I was using the generic Aussie shampoo from Sally's Beauty Supply but just ran out. The first bottle I grabbed the other day when I realized I was out of shampoo was Suave humectant shampoo. And every once in a while I condition with the Aussie Moist if I feel that my hair is really tangled.

If I just shampoo my hair I get it all wet and apply it from root to end, sometimes I do it twice if its been a bit since I washed it (sometimes when I wash it it still feels greasy so I shampoo it again) and then if I condition I do it after I shampoo and only condition from my ears down.

florenonite
May 7th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I was using the generic Aussie shampoo from Sally's Beauty Supply but just ran out. The first bottle I grabbed the other day when I realized I was out of shampoo was Suave humectant shampoo. And every once in a while I condition with the Aussie Moist if I feel that my hair is really tangled.

If I just shampoo my hair I get it all wet and apply it from root to end, sometimes I do it twice if its been a bit since I washed it (sometimes when I wash it it still feels greasy so I shampoo it again) and then if I condition I do it after I shampoo and only condition from my ears down.

It looks like your hair's frizzy because it lacks moisture. Try only applying the shampoo to your roots and conditioning every wash. You could also try what's known as CWC, that is, applying conditioner to the length, shampooing the scalp (without rinsing out the conditioner), rinsing it all out, then reconditioning the length as usual.

maskedrose
May 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM
This doesn't work for everyone, but maybe try CO for awhile and see how you like it? You say that your hair feels oily even after you wash it, so perhaps the constant stripping of your hair by shampoos is making it produce more and more oil in order to compensate. I would suggest reading up on CO and trying it for a couple weeks - it may take awhile for your scalp to re-adjust and produce less oil. Just make sure to apply a whole lot of conditioner (I use a couple huge handfuls of cheapie Suave tropical coconut) and rinse, rinse, rinse. For me, CO gets out even the heaviest of oil deep treatments, and just might be the ticket for making your hair happy :)

soleluna
May 7th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I used to have the same problem: hair getting oily. I washed every day, sometimes with shampooing twice. After switching to a gentler routine, the frizz stopped, and I can wash every 2-3 days. Check my blog for the routine!

Boudicca
May 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM
What about twisting it and then bunning it, or plaiting it - while it's wet? I have frizzy/puffy hair too, and it's the only thing that tames it.

lookingglass
May 7th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I CO, oil, condition, aloe, damp bun, henna, SMT...everything. 2nd day hair is always frizzy. It's just my hair texture. I live with it, and work with it. It is a crazy, big ol' head of glorious hair. I can control it, but only for a moment! I give it what it needs, and most of what it needs is: acceptance.

Katze
May 8th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Another frizzy/puffy here.

I didn't read every response, but wanted to pose a couple of questions:

1) is your hair, or part of your hair, damaged? Chemically or heat treated hair seems (at least mine does) to react very differently to moisture. While my length is relatively smooth in the virgin bits, the colored, damaged ends can't ever seem to get enough moisture. Misting, leave-in conditioner, and gel help, but don't fix the problem.

2) are you washing your hair too much? This can make it get dry and - poof - frizz! Rather than switching your entire routine to CO, WO, or NW, what about alternating Co or WO washes with whatever it is you do normally? WO washing doesn't get my hair as clean as long as sulfate shampoos do, but it really controls the frizz.

3) hair gel. Some people here swear by aloe, but the only kind I've ever been able to find is very watery and does NOTHING for my hair. Instead, after washing, or mornings if my ends are looking frizzy and wiry, I mix a bit of hair gel with a bit of leave in (Goth Rosary) conditioner and this helps them behave and hang better.

4) 'cones. Yes, I know many people think of them as the devil incarnate, but occasional coney washes/conditionings might help make your hair smoother and more manageable. If you are using shampoo anyway, buildup probably won't be a huge problem.

ammorgan
May 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I don't remember the last day I washed, but my hair is getting oily now and it seems to be laying down. Maybe its just that first day after a wash that it puffs up.

I could stand my hair laying down like it is now but it feels greasy and nasty to me :(

soleluna
May 8th, 2008, 04:08 PM
did you try any of our tips? did any work for you?

ammorgan
May 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I haven't washed again yet, think I'm going to try CO. And thats conditioning all of it right? Even the scalp?

EDIT: Found this after doing some searching. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18

Anje
May 8th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Yes, it's conditioning all of it. However, there's a bit of a technique to it to ensure that hair gets well-cleaned this way. Here are two links:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1046

soleluna
May 8th, 2008, 04:31 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18

i haven't had much luck with it. but if you feel like trying it, please do and let us know!! did you have a look at my routine? you could try diluting shampoo first, or oiling..

anyway, if you do CO, make sure to choose the right conditioner!

ETA: we cross posted ;)

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I feel like I have frizzy or puffy hair. I don't know if its just because its thick, or if its truly frizzy. I can wash it and leave it down and it waves and to me it ends up looking poofy, I don't think it looks very good. It seems to frizz/puff no matter whether I air dry or use a blow drier.

Anybody else feel like they have the same problem? I think last time I typed my hair it was a 2A

My hair has been frizzing a bit lately, particularly when I put it up. So it sticks out. Aloe vera helps a tiny bit when I remember to use it, same with jojoba oil, i would say t would be the same with coconut oil, but I haven't had any in a long time, so I'm not sure how it would be now.

Paniscus
May 9th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I CO, oil, condition, aloe, damp bun, henna, SMT...everything. 2nd day hair is always frizzy. It's just my hair texture. I live with it, and work with it. It is a crazy, big ol' head of glorious hair. I can control it, but only for a moment! I give it what it needs, and most of what it needs is: acceptance.

Exactly! Thank you for this post! I know *some* damaged hair tends to be frizzy, but I honestly believe some *normal, healthy* hair is frizzy as well. I've done everything under the sun, but no matter what I do, if it's going to frizz, it frizzes. One routine may work once, but it's never consistent. I just accept that I'm going to have frizzy days and cherish the days that my hair seems smoother. Like you said, lookingglass, I think it's just my texture.

As long as we are taking good care of our hair and doing the best for our bodies overall, acceptance is crucial. And besides, when did this "Frizzy equals bad" thing start anyway? I've said it before, I'm waiting for the day that frizzy hair is vogue. :D

ammorgan
May 9th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I did a CO wash this afternoon. Just kept rinsing my hair out, then got out, left it to air dry and brushing it every once in a while and it's laying flatter, but I still have my waves. It's soft and shiny too.

tmmycat
May 10th, 2008, 05:40 AM
that's great! glad you had success with your first CO wash.

When I started CO I needed one more shampoo at the 2-week point to get rid of silicone buildup left over from my previous routine ... but then it was all smooth sailing and my hair is much happier with CO.