PDA

View Full Version : CO vs shampooing: shedding

masa_inn
April 25th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I always shed globs of hair while co-washing. I thought the reason for this was the fact that I don't brush between washes (I'm curly) so I just shed the amount that should have been shedded between washes.

I had to shampoo yesterday to get rid of cones and, to my huge surprise, I saw a great decrease of shedded hair. Looked like I shed about a half of the usual amount.

Anyone with a similar experience?

I cannot figure out why it happened. Maybe I massage my scalp too rough when co-washing? Do I need to improve my CO technique? My scalp loves CO and positively hates shampoo, but seeing "dead squirrel tail" on my shower floor every time I CO is unnerving.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I noticed the same thing. when i use some kind of shampoo, i shed less. That can be because of too much massaging, as it helps to loosen the already-dead follicles.

chopandchange
April 25th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I shed most with coney CO, second most with non-coney CO, and least with shampoo.

I don't use shampoo any more on my scalp though, so I'm just saying that from memory!

masa_inn
April 25th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I shed most with coney CO, second most with non-coney CO, and least with shampoo.

I don't use shampoo any more on my scalp though, so I'm just saying that from memory!

May I ask what you use to clean your scalp now?

I really want to reduce shedding; yet I have to keep the scalp happy, too.

chopandchange
April 25th, 2010, 08:15 AM
May I ask what you use to clean your scalp now?

I really want to reduce shedding; yet I have to keep the scalp happy, too.

Coney conditioner.

Yes, it causes the most shedding for me, but it's the thing my scalp is happiest with, and I have quite thick hair so can afford to lose a few more extra hairs.

It's not like it causes major shedding; just more than cone-free. If I use cone-free I get a more itchy and flaky scalp.

I suppose I could buy an SLS-free shampoo and use that, but they tend to be rather expensive and don't lather up well, in my experience, so you have to use loads to make sure you get some all over.

I can't use SLS on my scalp any more because it causes a severe burning sensation that is quite frightening.

spidermom
April 25th, 2010, 10:00 AM
You could try diluting your shampoo if it's irritating. I've been using the CWC method with diluted shampoo for at least 4 years now, and I don't shed much when I wash my hair - maybe 10-20 hairs.

Mamakash
April 25th, 2010, 12:45 PM
When I started co washing, I noticed I lost less hair, not more. Sure, you lose a small snarl of hair when you comb out, but it was nothing compared to combing conditioner through after washing with shampoo. I left so much hair in the towels after drying off . . . it ended up in the washing machine or lint screen of the drier. Not to mention when I snaked the drain a few months ago.:shocked:

masa_inn
April 25th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Not to mention when I snaked the drain a few months ago.:shocked:
Oh yes, that was SCARY. Halloween-worthy scary.

chopandchange
April 25th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I have one of those filters that fits over the plughole to prevent hairs blocking the drain.

Kaijah
April 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I shed more with cowashing, too. When I CWC, I shed maybe 5-15 hairs in the shower, and finger comb out probably 5 more while drying. With cowashing, I shed 30-40 in the shower, and still finger comb out 5 or so more while drying. Either method I use, I don't seem to lose a lot between washes - one or two when I detangle in the morning - so it's not like it balances out with how much I lose later.

I'm not sure why that is. I massage a lot when I use shampoo (I use a small amount of various sls free shampoos, so I make sure to massage a lot to break up anything on my scalp) and I generally still end up getting conditioner on my scalp hair when I use the second heavy condish. Heck, my scalp and scalp hair seem to LIKE conditioner and oiling, so I have no idea why it sheds so much if I wash with CO.

I've tried roughly a billiondy different brands for washing conditioner, and my hair seems to be moody with all of them. So I just CWC, and I don't really see a difference in the actual quality of my hair/scalp between that and when I tried CO.

skarab
April 25th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I have always lost far far more hair when detangling with conditioner in (whether as co-wash or when conditioning after shampooing). I've always used conditioner very sporadically because of this. It just freaks me out too much.

ravenreed
April 25th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I shed much more from shampooing than CO washing. I used to have a little brillo pad every time I shampooed. Once I started CO washing, I'd lose maybe 3-4 hairs in the shower. Go figure.

chopandchange
April 25th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I used to have a little brillo pad every time I shampooed.

I misunderstood what you meant, and was about to reply in disbelief:

You used to use a brillo pad to wash your hair????!!!!

Then I realised. :o

ravenreed
April 25th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Ah, I should have been more clear. :D

I misunderstood what you meant, and was about to reply in disbelief:

You used to use a brillo pad to wash your hair????!!!!

Then I realised. :o

Ash
April 25th, 2010, 04:57 PM
My hair fell out in small clumps when I was CO washing with a chemical conditioner (Suave.) That made me quit and go back to CWC. I am trying CO 6 days of the week with Giovanni conditioner now and I don't notice any difference in shedding then to my 1 day of CWC. This may be because the ingredients in the Giovanni shampoo and conditioner are very similar. I also scrub my scalp about the same amount with both washing styles.

chopandchange
April 25th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Ah, I should have been more clear. :D

No, not at all! It was me. I am rather slow to pick up on jokes and metaphors in conversation and written speech, because my brain is wired in such a way that I always take things literally when I process what people are saying to me. :o

Capybara
April 25th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm not a curly so this might not apply to you, but I've found that when I switch up my routine (changing shampoos/changing washing methods/trying a new DT) my shedding pattern changes noticeably for a few days, and then it "settles in," back to normal. It may be a temporary reaction? Give it a few tries. Your hair may adjust.

HTH :flower:

boomtownrat
April 25th, 2010, 05:20 PM
At first I was shedding less with CO, but gradually it got worse than it was with SLS shampoo. Last night I used Suave Professionals Rosemary-Mint shampoo and conditioner and shed much less than I was regularly losing with CO (ick, sorry if I sound like a commercial). Other than that, my hair and scalp seemed to like CO a little better than anything I tried before.

The reason I gave up CO was that I recently I got a lot of dyed hair cut off because I'm going with my natural silver for good. It's a shorter bob that needs styling products that don't wash out with CO. Eventually, once my hair is all virgin, I want to grow it longer and try CO again... but then, if this Rosemary-Mint stuff works and I continue to lose less hair, I might just stick with it.

Arctic_Mama
April 25th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I think I shed about the same amount regardless. Because I wear my hair up all day I have what looks like massive sheds daily, because they are all coming out at once, as opposed to falling out throughout the day.

I think I am gentler on my scalp when I use diluted shampoo than when I just use conditioner, as I tend to scrub harder to cleanse. But I lose a small animal, regardless. Whether it is in the comb afterward or on my finger during the process, I shed about the same overall.

My scalp seems happier with a gentle shampoo, so I'm going with it. My dermatitis really flared during my CO years.

misspriss
April 25th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I have always noticed a lot of shedding, I CO. But I have recently noticed much less shedding. I don't know why, and I wish I knew how long ago it started being less. I think it was a few months after I got of the BC pill, and I also got a lot of new growth around that time....which gives me a great halo now :)

masa_inn
April 25th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Guys, I'm sorry, but search wouldn't work for abbreviations, so I cannot find a thread about CWC. Could someone please help a slow me? Thank you so much in advance!

Flynn
April 25th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I have one of those filters that fits over the plughole to prevent hairs blocking the drain.

I just have a regular kitchen sink-strainer, hahaha. I don't shed excessively, but DBF sure does,

misspriss
April 25th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I have two filters on my bathtub drain! One tiny one that goes down inside it, you have it get it out with tweezers. It's the size of the drainpipe and has rather large holes. Then I have a little funny one that is rubber and has little spikes all over it that catch hair. I have to clean it out every time I shower, or SO complains because it won't drain as fast.

ArienEllariel
April 26th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Weird. I noticed a dramatic decrease in shedding when I switched to CO. Now I really don't shed at all.

chopandchange
April 26th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I just have a regular kitchen sink-strainer, hahaha. I don't shed excessively, but DBF sure does,

I think that's what mine is, too. I don't know what it's called, but it's just a round metal grille that fits over the plughole and acts as a strainer. They're really cheap.

3azza
April 26th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I noticed less shedding with CO. However, i noticed that with CO hair is more slippery, so the hairs i shed just slip away as i detangle, where as with shampoo, they stay wurled in my hair locks and give the impression of less shedding, but eventually they fall apart later on through the day.