PDA

View Full Version : Okay to Pluck (...eeew)?

Ally<3
April 24th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Hi, so every now and then I get few of those course hairs that stick up on the top of your head that are coarse and sort of wavy. I think I've heard them described as "head pubes" before?

Whenever I see one it annoys me so much that I have to pluck it out! Is there any better way to get rid of them? Do we know what causes them or how to prevent them?

They irk me so much!!

joiekimochi
April 25th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I used to pluck them out too, but my hair's already so thin! I've found head pubes as long as 15 inches long. I plucked one out and put it against my *ahem* for sh17s and giggles and there really wasn't much difference in texture.

Anyway...I don't know how to prevent them. I first found them when I was 14 and I had virgin hair then, so I don't think it's caused by chemical or mechanical damage. It just grows out like that. I've stopped plucking them out because I'm trying to get as much thickness as possible. I also notice that most of them grow out of my twirly crown, which is one of the 'baldest' areas on my head, so plucking them out would probably cause a bald spot there.

julliams
April 25th, 2010, 12:15 AM
If you let them grow, they will weigh down and be more like the rest of your hair. I used to pull mine out all the time too and guess what - another just grows in it's place. I have many wiry hairs like this on my head and I figured it was why my hair is textured the way it is. They have kinks all the way along in random places.

Heidi_234
April 25th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Love your coarsies! :) They give the best shine :laugh:

Seriously, don't pluck them out. They are not alien, they are not really pubic hairs that grow from your head. No eww here. You have hairs of all kind of textures - I bet you can find medium and fine hairs too. It's your head hair, and you're here on these boards because you LOVE your head hair. I personally like to think that the coarser hairs are stronger and more resilient and add to my overall thickness. You can't fight your hair, it always wins. If you can't beat them, join them - that's all I can say. :)

Chrissy
April 25th, 2010, 05:05 AM
That is a disgusting name. :) Yuk!! Just thought I'd chime in with a ewwwww......:P I hope you can learn to ignore them.

Arctic
April 25th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I don't like the term head pubes, and I think it should be forgotten from the LHC vocabullary. These hairs are normal hairs. They are normal variation, I think almost everybody has them. Please don't pull them out. If you can't love them, at least accept them. They also tend to grow back even more wiry if you plug them out, so that should motivate you :) They are just as good hairs as your other hairs.

I have trichotillomania, and these hairs are one of my triggers, so I personally know how tempting it is to pull them out. In fact when my trichotillomania was it's worst last year I did pull them out thinking I'd improve my hair. But you know what, all I did was create a bald spot right in the middle of my crown and thinned my hair considerably. Not an improvement! Now I am learning to live with them and accept them.

They have great shine, like Heidi said, they give lot of body and thickness, and are quite strong too!

One more thing: It might be that you also have trichotillomania, even if it's mild. Mine was mild too for years, but the thing is it can get worse especially in stressful times. I hope you will never learn this the hard way like I did, so PLEASE do not pull them out anymore. Every time you pull one out you will feed the trichotillomania.

Ally<3
April 25th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I used to pluck them out too, but my hair's already so thin! I've found head pubes as long as 15 inches long. I plucked one out and put it against my *ahem* for sh17s and giggles and there really wasn't much difference in texture.

Anyway...I don't know how to prevent them. I first found them when I was 14 and I had virgin hair then, so I don't think it's caused by chemical or mechanical damage. It just grows out like that. I've stopped plucking them out because I'm trying to get as much thickness as possible. I also notice that most of them grow out of my twirly crown, which is one of the 'baldest' areas on my head, so plucking them out would probably cause a bald spot there.

No they can't be caused by damaged because they come straight from the scalp like that! I agree if I were worried bout thinness I wouldn't be plucking anything. :)

Ally<3
April 25th, 2010, 07:14 AM
If you let them grow, they will weigh down and be more like the rest of your hair. I used to pull mine out all the time too and guess what - another just grows in it's place. I have many wirey hairs like this on my head and I figured it was why my hair is textured the way it is. They are so weird and have kinks all the way along in random places.

Yeah I think you're right and just need to let them grow. Hopefully when they're the same length as the rest of my hair I won't need to single them out so much.

Love your coarsies! :) They give the best shine :laugh:

Seriously, don't pluck them out. They are not alien, they are not really pubic hairs that grow from your head. No eww here. You have hairs of all kind of textures - I bet you can find medium and fine hairs too. It's your head hair, and you're here on these boards because you LOVE your head hair. I personally like to think that the coarser hairs are stronger and more resilient and add to my overall thickness. You can't fight your hair, it always wins. If you can't beat them, join them - that's all I can say. :)

I think I single them out because they stick out at the top of my head, especially when it's humid, and look like damage. I will learn to embrace them though!

That is a disgusting name. :) Yuk!! Just thought I'd chime in with a ewwwww......:P I hope you can learn to ignore them.

I agree!

I don't like the term head pubes, and I think it should be forgotten from the LHC vocabullary. These hairs are normal hairs. They are normal variation, I think almost everybody has them. Please don't pull them out. If you can't love them, at least accept them. They also tend to grow back even more wiry if you plug them out, so that should motivate you :) They are just as good hairs as your other hairs.

I have trichotillomania, and these hairs are one of my triggers, so I personally know how tempting it is to pull them out. In fact when my trichotillomania was it's worst last year I did pull them out thinking I'd improve my hair. But you know what, all I did was create a bald spot right in the middle of my crown and thinned my hair considerably. Not an improvement! Now I am learning to live with them and accept them.

They have great shine, like Heidi said, they give lot of body and thickness, and are quite strong too!

One more thing: It might be that you also have trichotillomania, even if it's mild. Mine was mild too for years, but the thing is it can get worse especially in stressful times. I hope you will never learn this the hard way like I did, so PLEASE do not pull them out anymore. Every time you pull one out you will feed the trichotillomania.

There will be no more plucking out let me tell you! I will just have to stop obsessing! :)

sedonia
April 25th, 2010, 07:24 AM
People who have course kinky hair as their predominant hair type probably find this whole thread rather offensive.

Atlantic
April 25th, 2010, 07:36 AM

Hear hear! Everything Arctic said. And I should add, not only are these hairs one of my triggers, they were the trigger when I developed trich. And by the time I finally quit pulling them, the poor hair follicles were so unhappy that they grew in white, so I have a big streak of premature grey now.

So quit pulling them now! :)

Dreams_in_Pink
April 25th, 2010, 07:40 AM
are you sure those are not "baby hairs"?

alwayssmiling
April 25th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Yes, the name is offensive. I'm glad it has been suggested that we erase this term from LHC.

Anyway, I used to pluck them out when I was a teenager. To a point that it became habitual - I am convinced I got more from plucking them out. I then discovered flat irons which made me feel I had a "cure" for them. Now I have damaged and abused my hair in everyway possible I have learned to accept them. When I scrunch dry my hair with a little mousse, they look great. And I agree with all who said they give lots of shine! I am currently wanting to grow them long so they will give my hair a little bounce that it is lacking at the moment.

Edit: I should have also said that my husband didn't even notice mine, until I pointed them out. Maybe we look too closely at our hair and see things others don't.

Coffeebug
April 25th, 2010, 01:02 PM
You definitely need to learn to love them! The vast selection of shades and textures are what makes hair so magical. I have some little sticky-uppy short curly hairs that like waving at people too - I just see them as extra friendly hahaha!

little_cherry
April 25th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I have LOTS of coarse hairs and have fallen in love with them! At first I thought they were damaged hair, but noticed I have them all over my hair line! When I was using coney products, I never noticed them because the cones were concealing them! Now that I'm cone and sulphates free, I notice that they are all around my hair line...actually, I should go and change my stats to m/c because I do have a lot of coarsies.

I've found some really funky shaped hairs..I just love them! I used to pluck them out...but what's the point? Another coarse hair just replaces it and the hair follicle will just end up getting damaged to the point where so much trauma to the area means hair never grow from there again.

Argan oil makes the coarse hairs feel nice. Learn to embrace your coarsies- they're incredibly strong and can handle almost anything!

jaine
April 25th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I pluck mine. I only see one every few months. If I had more of them I would keep them.

I used to have more of them, but recent diet changes had an effect on my hormones. In December of last year I started a dairy-free, grain-free, sugar-free diet (meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruit, nuts). One of the side effects of the new diet was less coarse body hair and head hair.

Unofficial_Rose
April 25th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Can I be the first person to say "Head Pubes" is a genius term and thanks for making me laugh! :rollin:

I occasionally yank mine out too, but mainly I forget about them. So I pull out about one a year. Wonder what makes them all misshapen?

gretchen_hair
April 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Can I be the first person to say "Head Pubes" is a genius term and thanks for making me laugh! :rollin:

I occasionally yank mine out too, but mainly I forget about them. So I pull out about one a year. Wonder what makes them all misshapen?

I disagree with the terminology, along with many other posters. My son is mixed and has coarse,curly hair, I am repulsed that someone would compare his hair to a pube hair and use it in such a derogatory term. I know that no one said that my son has pube hair, but all in all, it had the same effect.

I am offended and disgusted.

Druida
April 25th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I disagree with the terminology, along with many other posters. My son is mixed and has coarse,curly hair, I am repulsed that someone would compare his hair to a pube hair and use it in such a derogatory term. I know that no one said that my son has pube hair, but all in all, it had the same effect.

I am offended and disgusted.

I agree with Gretchen_hair. My hair is rather coarse and curly too. :shrug:

Fractalsofhair
April 25th, 2010, 07:40 PM
My "head pubes" make up a quarter of my head hair or more, especially in the back. They're wavy, and growing in a large number. Yes, they are coarse like pubes, and not straight, but they definitely aren't "afro like"(way too coarse for that to be the case, and not at all as curly.) so I'm not sure how the term is offensive if other people are talking about the same sort of hair, if it is meant as a description of them, since it's rather unlike regular hair textures(Coarse hair seems to be pretty rare in my part of the US, don't know about other parts, and I know outside of my family, I very rarely see coarse and wavy hair. It also looks a lot different when it's grown out as opposed to just a few hairs of about pube length on the top of one's head. ) But then again, if a person wants to compare my hair to their armpit hair etc, I wouldn't be offended, since I like my body hair, and if they feel the same way about their hair, I'd view it as a complement.

I used to think they were just odd, but it's clear to me now they're what my hair texture will become. It's the texture of my cousin's hair, and my brother's hair. Coarse, thick, and black, with a hint of a wave. Hopefully my hair will be shiny without looking greasy! :) They do look nice as they get longer.

LadyMydnytMoon
April 25th, 2010, 08:06 PM
My "head pubes" make up a quarter of my head hair or more, especially in the back. They're wavy, and growing in a large number.

Sounds like my hair too... I used to pluck the ones stick out on the top of my head. back in high school but not anymore. I figured they'd behave eventually if i just leave them alone.

gretchen_hair
April 25th, 2010, 08:55 PM
My "head pubes" make up a quarter of my head hair or more, especially in the back. They're wavy, and growing in a large number. Yes, they are coarse like pubes, and not straight, but they definitely aren't "afro like"(way too coarse for that to be the case, and not at all as curly.) so I'm not sure how the term is offensive if other people are talking about the same sort of hair, if it is meant as a description of them, since it's rather unlike regular hair textures(Coarse hair seems to be pretty rare in my part of the US, don't know about other parts, and I know outside of my family, I very rarely see coarse and wavy hair. It also looks a lot different when it's grown out as opposed to just a few hairs of about pube length on the top of one's head. ) But then again, if a person wants to compare my hair to their armpit hair etc, I wouldn't be offended, since I like my body hair, and if they feel the same way about their hair, I'd view it as a complement.

I used to think they were just odd, but it's clear to me now they're what my hair texture will become. It's the texture of my cousin's hair, and my brother's hair. Coarse, thick, and black, with a hint of a wave. Hopefully my hair will be shiny without looking greasy! :) They do look nice as they get longer.

I find it offensive because many racist people use the description of Pube hair, to describe the type of hair that many Black, Indian, Latino, and people who are non Caucasian have. There are also many white people who have extremely curly and coarse hair and I am quite sure that they would not be pleased at the comparison.

When I was in high school, many of the white kids would say that the black kids were pube heads. It is very racist.

I have stated my disgust and displeasure regarding that phrase but some people insist on saying it over and over and asking why other people are offended.

We have told you why, I am telling you why, it is very racist and offensive.

I am not the only one who has expressed concern and discontent over the phrase, but apparently some people don't care if the terminology bothers others and they continue saying it. It seems like the people who keep saying it, and wondering why it's offensive, are deliberately shoving the same phrase in the faces of the ones who find it offensive, disgusting and racist.

I am appalled that some people are so crude and uncaring, knowing full well that it is bothering many people.

I definately do not like the idea that people are comparing coarse scalp hair, to pubic hair. It really makes me wonder what people are thinking by coming on to a diverse community and making those kind of statements and comparisons. It is rather sad.

Flynn
April 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Odd thing; I've never noticed any short ones on me. They mustn't stick out (thick hair, maybe that has something to do with it?) I have a fair few full-length ones in there, and occasionally I find one that's fine at the end and changes to coarse and black halfway up, or, weirder still, the other way around.

renarok
April 25th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I would suggest to those offended by this type of careless terminology to not read this thread. No one here is trying to offend anyone, get over it. All these posters are referring to hairs growing out of their own heads for goodness sake.

Ivy~Rose
April 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I've found them on my head before, and they were such a novelty that I think I pulled them out on accident just because they were so fun to play with! I would definitely leave them in, though.

Casually, by myself, I would call these hairs and hairs growing from my moles by the term some people take offense to, and not because I'm racist, but because it looks like it belongs on another part of my body! And I giggle. My body cracks me up! It's not to diss anyone's son's hair or their own hair. :soapbox: So I understand the OP and I hope people don't get too offended, but I guess it's good that the title has been changed.

Cirafly24
April 25th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I've never found any particularly coarse hairs on my head, but if I did...I think I'd leave them alone. I'm working on making my hair thicker, so plucking out hairs for any reason seems counterproductive :)

gretchen_hair
April 25th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I would suggest to those offended by this type of careless terminology to not read this thread. No one here is trying to offend anyone, get over it. All these posters are referring to hairs growing out of their own heads for goodness sake.

This is an open thread for all members , who have the proper number of post counts and days of membership required, to read.

It is offensive and I have every right in this world to express my displeasure, with a thread, that keeps saying pube head, knowing full well that it is a racist term.

You do not know the intentions that every poster who has used the term has in mind, on that note, thank you for your suggestion and I will disregard your advice and continue following this thread and voicing my concerns about racist terms on this forum until they are dealt with in a correct manner.

I just realized that the Mane forum is open to anyone reading, even guests. I wanted to make that correction.

I also wanted to add, that peope really should choose their words wisely before posting with such disregard on an open forum.

Nat242
April 25th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I find it offensive because many racist people use the description of Pube hair, to describe the type of hair that many Black, Indian, Latino, and people who are non Caucasian have. There are also many white people who have extremely curly and coarse hair and I am quite sure that they would not be pleased at the comparison.

When I was in high school, many of the white kids would say that the black kids were pube heads. It is very racist.

I have stated my disgust and displeasure regarding that phrase but some people insist on saying it over and over and asking why other people are offended.

I am not the only one who has expressed concern and discontent over the phrase, but apparently some people don't care if the terminology bothers others and they continue saying it. It seems like the people who keep saying it, and wondering why it's offensive, are deliberately shoving the same phrase in the faces of the ones who find it offensive, disgusting and racist.

I am appalled that some people are so crude and uncaring, knowing full well that it is bothering many people.

I definately do not like the idea that people are comparing coarse scalp hair, to pubic hair. It really makes me wonder what people are thinking by coming on to a diverse community and making those kind of statements and comparisons. It is rather sad.

Gretchen_hair - you are not alone in your feelings. I too am very disappointed at the attitude and actions of a number of people in this thread.

Intent doesn't matter all that much. It doesn't matter if a poster didn't intend to be racist or invoke the racist connotations of this term. The fact is that they did, and they were politely informed as to why this term is problematic. The reasonable thing to do at this point would be to apologise and edit one's own posts accordingly.

The fact posters are ignoring the concerns raised by others, or even defending the use of the term, makes me feel a little bit sick. Why is it okay to ignore the voices and experiences of others who are telling you why this term is problematic? Why is this term so precious that it must be defended against the negative experiences of others and retained for your personal use?

Nat242
April 25th, 2010, 09:45 PM

Wow.

Problematic terms often work their way into everyday speech, often without the user fully understanding why the term is problematic. A few posters have explained why people might want to rethink their use of this term, and they've done it politely, and patiently, and without making accusations of intentional racism or prejudice.

Me? I would greatly appreciate it if someone pointed it out if I was using an offensive or oppressive term, so that I wouldn't unknowingly continue to contribute to the marginalisation of a group of people. But if you think it's cool for people to continue on in ignorance, then I guess your method of telling people who have different experiences with a term to 'stop complaining, stop ruining everyone else's fun and just go away' (to paraphrase) is just fine. Seems a bit against the spirit of community the LHC has tried to build, though.

sedonia
April 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM
It doesn't matter if some people here are not trying to offend. They ARE offending through thoughtlessness, and by expressing the opinion that straight hairs are normal and kinky ones are defective, misshapen, damaged, gross, ugly, etc. Likening kinky head hairs to pubic hairs is offensive, and those that are doing it are probably blissfully ignorant and unaware of the body issues that people (especially women) with curly/kinky hair often have from living in a culture that worships straight hair, or just how deep those issues go.

Gypsy
April 25th, 2010, 11:46 PM

Get over the fact that people are offended.
The term is derogatory, whether it was intended or not. If it was not intened to be derogatory, then people expressing their objection is how someone will learn.
Again, get over it.

Gypsy
April 25th, 2010, 11:50 PM

Black hair or "afro hair", as you put it, is not only curly. It can also be coarse with a very hard "z" shaped strand. It stands straight out because it is too coarse to lay down.
Your statement that they are "definitely not" those kinds of hair means you know for a fact how black hair is, when you clearly don't and should probably not be speaking on behalf of people with black textured hair.

Gypsy
April 25th, 2010, 11:52 PM

True dat.
It just goes to show how people really think about other people.

Flynn
April 26th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Black hair or "afro hair", as you put it, is not only curly. It can also be coarse with a very hard "z" shaped strand. It stands straight out because it is too coarse to lay down.
Your statement that they are "definitely not" those kinds of hair means you know for a fact how black hair is, when you clearly don't and should probably not be speaking on behalf of people with black textured hair.

Exactly. For instance, not all "black textured hair" is coarse; fine hair is probably about as common as it is in the rest of the population.

Gypsy
April 26th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Exactly. For instance, not all "black textured hair" is coarse; fine hair is probably about as common as it is in the rest of the population.

Yep.
The hair at the nape of my neck is silky so fine that is feels like infant hair and it has barely any curl in it at all.
Of course that is the area that is pretty uncooperative and won't hold a style or stay in an updo or ponytail.:rolleyes:

Arctic
April 26th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I am very glad we are voicing our opinion of this term. In fact this is the first time I have seen people chiming in and telling how they dislike that. Together we can make efforts to stop using the term in this community.

Mutinous
April 26th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I have to say, I have this discussion about that term very intersting! But perhaps, instead of just reiterating why it is disliked we should come to an alternative and then all of us just us that?

I'm not sure if 'coarse hair' is specific enough.

In answer to the OP, I don't pluck them out, I'm far too lazy for that.

(And on a side note, I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone knew of the contention surrounding the term, not everyone is as active here as everyone else. I certainly hadn't heard of it before.)

Arctic
April 26th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I have to say, I have this discussion about that term very intersting! But perhaps, instead of just reiterating why it is disliked we should come to an alternative and then all of us just us that?

I'm not sure if 'coarse hair' is specific enough.
*snip*

I call mine wiry hairs.

Sisko
April 26th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Why is it okay to ignore the voices and experiences of others who are telling you why this term is problematic? Why is this term so precious that it must be defended against the negative experiences of others and retained for your personal use?

Because there is nothing wrong with pubes. Catering to only those who are bothered by something is also problematic, as I see it, if the term is not explicitly racist. People do not enjoy having their vocabulary restricted.

Regardless, I understand the concern, particularly since the thread title was followed by an 'eeew'. "Wiry hairs", as pointed out above, should be a good compromise.

rach
April 26th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I call mine wiry hairs.

That petty much how i see them. They are thick and make most of the bulk in in the hair due to there texture being space consuming.
All hair has it's awquard stage naturally till it's weighted down , it's when you have a dramatic shed i.e due to hormones then that is defiantly worth a complain about.

I probably experienced about a ¼ shed of hair after my last child and after that shed i have never complained about the natural shedding/spouting hair since. That time was agonizing :o

Heidi_234
April 26th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Interesting, usually when someone starts a thread about wiry hairs at some point someone pops in to mention that Dianyla refers to them as head pubes, so that everybody will have a laugh. Now that it rooted, seems like it's rubbing some people the wrong way (totally understandable! I had a girl in class with very curly short dark coarse mess of a hair - guess what nickname had she got).

I'm sure it wasn't meant to be offensive, but I agree with the posters above - it's not a negative phenomena, it's naturally occuring, it happens to everybody, and rather than alienating with possible unpleasant description we really ebrase it the way it is? I think wiry hairs will do just fine.

btw, to the OP, most of my baby hairs are wiry and stick straight up from my head until they grow out. I like to hold them between two fingers and run from roots to tips because the kinks make them feel funny. :)

Nat242
April 26th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Because there is nothing wrong with pubes. Catering to only those who are bothered by something is also problematic, as I see it, if the term is not explicitly racist. People do not enjoy having their vocabulary restricted.

Regardless, I understand the concern, particularly since the thread title was followed by an 'eeew'. "Wiry hairs", as pointed out above, should be a good compromise.

No, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with pubic hair, but the term is still used as a slur. This means that it is often INTENDED to be insulting when it is used against some POC. Even if it's not meant to be insulting when used by members here, it still carries that connotation for other community members. The only way I can think of to explain this more clearly to you is to use other racial slurs as examples, but I'm not going to do that.

As to catering to only those that are bothered by something...um, huh? You have been informed by several people that this term is frequently wielded as a racist slur against many POC, i.e. it's a term used in a racist way. Suggesting that people might want to rethink their use of a racist term...that's hardly catering to some at the expense of others - assuming you are also bothered by racism. I don't know, I really can't wrap my head around this comment. It's not about trying to restrict anyone's vocabulary, you can use racist slurs until the world ends if you want to, (though perhaps not on the LHC, which is not a "free speech platform") but there are probably people who use the term who are unaware of its racist connotations. These people have now been informed, and they can now consciously choose whether or not to use this racially loaded term. If they're no longer cool with this term, they can think for a few minutes, possibly consult a thesaurus or dictionary, and come up with some alternatives that aren't linked to the ongoing marginalisation of a group of people.

If they're still cool with it, well, I guess there's not much more of a conversation to be had.

Musterion
April 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Would people prefer it if every sentence was policed and checked for words that might offend someone somewhere? It's inevitable and unavoidable (that's not to say it doesn't matter nor should it be ignored). Shouldn't people be allowed to type on and enjoy these forums without wondering whether every other word or term, be they colloquial or not, offend somebody?

Pubes are pubes, everybody has them, why take such offense to it? As someone with "pube head hair" naturally (that I shave off for comfort), I can say that I find the term laughable, because it's really kind of true (in my case :p!).

Sisko
April 26th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Suggesting that people might want to rethink their use of a racist term...that's hardly catering to some at the expense of others - assuming you are also bothered by racism.

Whether or not I'm bothered by racism is irrelevant; the nature of the term is in question here.

Any term can be used as a slur. The word 'slur' itself has dual- purpose - both positive (instrumental) and negative (racist) connotations. The term itself is not racist (in most instances) as much as the intent behind it. Looking at the 'eeew' in the thread title, I can see why the usage was questioned here. If, throughout history, a term has established itself as derogatory and been explicitly used to demote human value, we should certainly strive to avoid it. If not, and it's on the verge, we can perhaps help steer it towards more positive usage and association.

I have seen people referred to as animal names, specifically 'pig', due to their ethnic origin (not colour) and discriminated against on that basis, but such experiences won't make me suggest we ban phrases such as "eat like a pig" from common usage.

Everyone has pubic hair and most people's pubes are rather curly and unruly. It's an all-encompassing term. In fact, I couldn't think of a less racist one.

As for 'POC', *shudder*, you'd be surprised at how many would also find that term offensive. I'm assuming you wanted to illustrate a point, but what I'm getting is that any term can be a racial dig at someone. Some are more established, some less, and some completely harmless. This has clearly done harm to others, I'm not denying that, but hasn't 'pig' also? Yet, it has an acceptable equivalent due to the intent with which it is said. I think it's important to recognise that.

With regards to your comment about the LHC not being a free speech platform, show me one of said platform! :toast:

Anje
April 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I yank mine. I have one or two 4b/C follicles with roughly 1/4 inch wavelength on the top of my head. They're not going to blend with the 1c/F hair. They wouldn't blend with my actual pubes, either, FWIW.

ETA: I wasn't aware of the connotation myself. I assumed that the term compared the occasional oddball hair to that person's own personal nether region hair. I hadn't heard it applied to all the hair on ANY person's head and agree that doing that would be highly offensive without regard to race.

Tap Dancer
April 26th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I pluck mine. I only see one every few months. If I had more of them I would keep them.

Same here.

And, like others, I find that term (which I refuse to type :o) gross and offensive.

Nat242
April 26th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Whether or not I'm bothered by racism is irrelevant; the nature of the term is in question here.

Any term can be used as a slur. The word 'slur' itself has dual- purpose - both positive (instrumental) and negative (racist) connotations. The term itself is not racist (in most instances) as much as the intent behind it. Looking at the 'eeew' in the thread title, I can see why the usage was questioned here. If, throughout history, a term has established itself as derogatory and been explicitly used to demote human value, we should certainly strive to avoid it. If not, and it's on the verge, we can perhaps help steer it towards more positive usage and association.

I have seen people referred to as animal names, specifically 'pig', due to their ethnic origin (not colour) and discriminated against on that basis, but such experiences won't make me suggest we ban phrases such as "eat like a pig" from common usage.

Everyone has pubic hair and most people's pubes are rather curly and unruly. It's an all-encompassing term. In fact, I couldn't think of a less racist one.

As for 'POC', *shudder*, you'd be surprised at how many would also find that term offensive. I'm assuming you wanted to illustrate a point, but what I'm getting is that any term can be a racial dig at someone. Some are more established, some less, and some completely harmless. This has clearly done harm to others, I'm not denying that, but hasn't 'pig' also? Yet, it has an acceptable equivalent due to the intent with which it is said. I think it's important to recognise that.

With regards to your comment about the LHC not being a free speech platform, show me one of said platform! :toast:

I use POC as a way to refer to multiple racial groups who are not white, and I use that particular term because it is the term used on the progressive blogs and blogs discussing racial issues that I peruse. It is generally considered less Other-ing that "non-white." It's a catch-all phrase encompassing all those who do not possess white privilege. However, I am very willing to re-examine my use of this term.

As to the rest of your post - you've been told that it's derogatory, and that it's dehumanising. I don't know what other proof you need. I think you're being obtuse - arguing that the term can't be racist because everyone has pubes? ??? I don't know what is going on there.

You're determined to defend this term, and you're determined to ignore the voices of people who have told you how hurtful it can be and what its connotations are. You believe you know more about this particular manifestation of racism than the people experiencing it. There's nothing more I can say to you.

farewell_nancy
April 27th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I'm not a fan of the concept of PC language. It seems to me it is merely a way of designating what language is and isn't offensive. The truth is bigotry is offensive, red flagging certain words is a sadly superficial attempt to address the real problem. Wouldn't it be better if we simply expected people to be genuinely respectful rather than accepting a facade of respect? All the PC phenomena does is superficially denote certain words as hateful when it was never the words that were the problem. Words don't hate or discriminate. People do. By overemphasizing PC terminology the people that actually are hateful can maintain a facade respect without ever addressing the sentiment that was behind the words.

No one here used the term head pubes with malicious or bigoted intent. On the other hand 80-90&#37; of the time I hear people mention "political correctness" it's accompanied with a derisive tone that implies "I'm obligated to use PC language by this culture otherwise I wouldn't bother" (obviously this doesn't apply to this thread since it has essentially become a conversation on PC terminology). It's good to be sensitive to the possible unintended connotations of our words, but lets not over emphasize every possible interpretation of the word when the usage was clearly not a product of the real problem: bigotry, maliciousness or superiority.

Magicknthenight
May 7th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Hi, so every now and then I get few of those course hairs that stick up on the top of your head that are coarse and sort of wavy

I have these coarse short hairs. I assume their growing out..
Psh I did pick them out before. Not because i disliked them though...i did it because i DID like them.:lol: Haha...yea makes sense right?
Pulling them out because i like them..:wacko:
Well i would find them while feeling around on my head and pull them out so i can look at the shape (They range from straight to wavy).
Also at the waves they sometimes looked/felt different. I found myself amused many times while i was sitting watching TV with one of these hairs. I actually liked feeling them! They are sort of like..bumpy or rougher in some parts. Most of my hair is fine to medium (individual strands varying in thickness i mean) so these coarse ones always intrigued me! Some are really strong and some break easily. Now i try not to pull them out. As much as i wanna learn about them pulling out all that hair can't be a good thing. So when i find one i might feel it and try to pull it in front of my eyes to look (usually their too short :p) and just push it back when something else catches my interest.:smirk:

Gypsy
May 7th, 2010, 04:01 AM
I have these coarse short hairs. I assume their growing out..
Psh I did pick them out before. Not because i disliked them though...i did it because i DID like them.:lol: Haha...yea makes sense right?
Pulling them out because i like them..:wacko:
Well i would find them while feeling around on my head and pull them out so i can look at the shape (They range from straight to wavy).
Also at the waves they sometimes looked/felt different. I found myself amused many times while i was sitting watching TV with one of these hairs. I actually liked feeling them! They are sort of like..bumpy or rougher in some parts. Most of my hair is fine to medium (individual strands varying in thickness i mean) so these coarse ones always intrigued me! Some are really strong and some break easily. Now i try not to pull them out. As much as i wanna learn about them pulling out all that hair can't be a good thing. So when i find one i might feel it and try to pull it in front of my eyes to look (usually their too short :p) and just push it back when something else catches my interest.:smirk:
Try not to pull and try to keep your hands out of your hair.
It's sounding very very very much like the beginning stages of trichotillomania and it is a very distressing condition to deal with.
I have dealt with it for yearrrrrs and it's always just like you described, searching around in my hair for the ones that feel different or out of place or more wirey or more coarse, examining the hairs...
Just try to stop.
Trust me.:(

Tap Dancer
May 7th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I'm not a fan of the concept of PC language.
I'm not a "PC" person. I hate the term and its meaning. I think it's a waste of time to worry about offending others. Now I know I said I found the words in this thread to be offensive and gross and I still mean it. However, the words don't bother me. There are just certain words I'll never say out loud (or type out) because they're not ladylike and I dislike them. Hearing and seeing them doesn't bother me. I think people have to right to say what they want. That's what I meant.

kittylover
May 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I don't ever pluck any hair on my head. It's thinning as it is and I need every strand I can get, LOL.

mamaherrera
September 19th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I found one the other day, a shed one, when I was combing, but it was only 2-3 inches long. So I Hope it came from the hairline, I've never seen one in me, kind of disturbing to find it come out like that and never knew I had some like that! as long as it's normal!

Federica
September 20th, 2014, 08:06 AM
DON'T! That's just new growth! If you pull it out it won't grow and you'll notice a significant thinning in your thickness.
Plus, I think that's gross to call it that way.

DreamSheep
September 20th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Not sure why this has been bumped - but I've never noticed these hairs in short form, and always feel a bit sad when one of these coarse hairs leaves my head - i feel they should be the resilient soldiers in what otherwise is very fine hair! :p
And I don't think they look like pubes either.