PDA

View Full Version : My Mom LIKES split ends!!

SandyStar
April 24th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Wow, now I know my Mom has weird ideas about hair. LOL

I mentioned to my Mom that my hair was pretty healthy because I find so few split ends in it. Then she said that she liked split ends because they make her hair lighter at the ends. Wow. I never thought a person could actually like split ends. LOL

She also said she hated thick hair and that her hair is too thick and takes too long to dry.

LOL She's like the opposite of me.

Has anyone else here heard of someone actually liking split ends? Did they say why they liked them?

MOOBUG
April 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I had a friend when I was much younger who had waist length hair. Sadly it was very badly damaged but her mum wouldnt allow her to cut it. But she loved split ends! She would sit for hours taking each one from the begining of the split and pulling it apart until its tore all the way up the shaft and one side of the split snapped.

Horrifying when you think about it

Lamb
April 24th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Are you sure your Mom wasn't thinking of fairytale ends? (tapered ends) When it comes to hair, there seem to be as many definitions of terms and expressions as there are speakers. ;)

Dani
April 24th, 2010, 08:11 PM
GET OUT *knocks you over*

Sorry, that was my brain's reaction to the title. Heh. To each their own. :D Awesome.

sarah061
April 24th, 2010, 08:29 PM
...She would sit for hours taking each one from the begining of the split and pulling it apart until its tore all the way up the shaft and one side of the split snapped.

Horrifying when you think about it

Omg, I can hardly read that without shuddering! That's terrible!
And SandyStar, I would have thought that if you had a ton of split ends it would make your hair seem thicker... in the sense that it'd be like having twice as many hairs at the ends, haha. No? In any case, I have never heard of anyone saying that before:razz:

Misery
April 24th, 2010, 08:56 PM
When I was complaining to a friend about my split ends she asked me what I was talking about.
After explaining what a split end was, her reaction was "Cool! More hair...."

:rolleyes:

Yozhik
April 24th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I hate to admit that when I was a young teen and didn't know anything about hair care, I also pulled my split ends apart! I didn't like them, though, but it was a form of amusement . . . :o

kelly-j
April 24th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I have honestly never heard about liking their splits:p

Nastasia
April 24th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I haven't heard of that either. Really, though, they can have mine if they want!!

... Now if only the universe actually worked that way. :silly:

Juliannaissance
April 24th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I sometimes like them because I think its fun to snip them off. :P Because then my hair looks less damaged.

Arctic_Mama
April 24th, 2010, 11:23 PM
My mom knew a girl in school who used to sit there during class splitting her split ends further, perhaps to make her hair look more full? My mom has always had very short hair (so no splits, it got cut too frequently) and that used to horrify even HER!

Loreley
April 24th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I've never heard about anyone who liked split ends! :bluesmile

Heidi_234
April 25th, 2010, 04:00 AM
I knew a guy who had long but very thin and fine hair. He was growing it out and one time when I pointed it out that he should trim it a bit because it was splitting, he exclaimed that that's the prettiest way ends could be. :crazyq: I think in his mind he imagined his hair splitting like roots of a tree, more and more into nothingness. Or something like that. Heh.

Oskimosa
April 25th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Maybe she was being facetious :p

swanns
April 25th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Ok, I guess I'm the weird one here. Well, was.

I used to like the look of damaged hair. I would not brush or comb my hair for weeks then when I did I'd just brutally pull the brush through it. I still have a gazillion splits because of it although I haven't been doing it for over two years now. I just could not comprehend what the fuss about split ends was all about because I thought they were nice :D I've also split my splits more, you know, pulled them apart until one side snapped off. I know, I'm a bad LHCer! ;) Oiling, brushing gently and what have you have been huge changes in my haircare routine and not taking care of my hair was in a weird way almost a part of my identity so it's really been a very, very big change.

MOOBUG
April 25th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Omg, I can hardly read that without shuddering! That's terrible!

I kNOW!!! Unsurprisingly she now has a short bob which she has worn for years

Capybara
April 25th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I have a friend who used to try to pull them apart if he saw them on me ..

Horrifying is correct. :eek:

spidermom
April 25th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Yes, my SIL likes split ends because she can tie the end of her braid into a knot and it stays.

ArienEllariel
April 25th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Yes, my SIL likes split ends because she can tie the end of her braid into a knot and it stays.

That makes me shudder... I don't know why.. shudder: