PDA

View Full Version : is there a normal shed amount?

geosangel
April 24th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I am getting nervous. Before I came here and learned proper hair care, I would shed enough to have to empty the drain catch twice in the shower for water to flow freely. Once I started doing CO, as well as my hair vitamin rituals daily my shed amount reduced itself to about 1/3 of what it was. This last week, I am back to my pre LHC amount of shed, and I have not changed anything, which has me wondering if there is cause for concern? My hair does not feel or appear thinner, which is good, and I have not changed anything in my routine. I have read people post they only shed 10 to 20 hairs, and others have more. I am missing 1/2 of my thyroid, am on no meds, and levels are normal. Should I be in watch for something or be concerned?

frizzalot
April 24th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I think the average is 50-100 hairs per day.

If you are really concerned, maybe you should see a doctor.

sorry i couldn't be of more help. :blossom:

Ksenia
April 25th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I don't have an answer but I'd like to know too. My shower loss varies dramatically, from 10-15 to 40-50, then daytime loss can be from 20 to so much it makes me want to cry. I have found that it varies based on the condition of my hair pre-shower and what kind of hairstyle I had worn it in. I find that dutch and french braids, as lovely as they are, cause more loss. A hair journal helps keep track of this.

FrannyG
April 25th, 2010, 02:03 PM
The average is 50 to 100 hairs per day. Depending on how much or how little you brush your hair between washes, you may find more hairs ending up in the shower than in your hairbrush.

Also, as your hair gets longer, it can appear that you're shedding more than normal, because the ball of hair with longer hair is bigger.

Additionally, with women the amount you shed in any given day can change due to hormonal cycles. I wouldn't panic just yet.

I hope that helps a little.

jera
April 25th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I think the average is 50-100 hairs per day.

If you are really concerned, maybe you should see a doctor.

sorry i couldn't be of more help. :blossom:

The average is between 50-100 hairs a day. Spot on. I currently lose only 10-15 hairs a day but I take a lot of supplements and am very careful about combing and detangling. Castor oil has help my shedding a lot. :)