PDA

View Full Version : Had the biggest temptation to cut to pixie yesterday.

Sammich
April 24th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Got stopped(That day) by this from my sweet DBF... I can't believe he cares that much!! ^__^ He is on this site as Rannan.
I almost cried with happiness. o_o; Never had ANYONE ever say anything like this to me before. It was a very shockingly cute surprise.... :cheese:
I had to show it off:

Sammy.
*Lemmie just tell you this, regarding cutting your hair.
Rannan: said (12:21):
*Remember, just remember, you THINK this is a good idea now perhaps.
Rannan: said (12:22):
*You're urged to right NOW. XD But think about this. You've been growing your goal length for months upon months, obsessing over it and more-or-less regretting even THINNING out your hair, and now that it's finally starting to look more full you're finally getting quite happy with your hair and it's only gonna get better.
*I personally think doing anything to your hair RIGHT NOW is a horrid idea.
Rannan: said (12:23):
*Maybe down the line to trim the hair out of your eyes, perhaps, but I KNOW your desire to have long hair is stronger than any urge to cut you have now. You best not do it babe, I think you'd really, honestly regret it, and I want to see my lover reach goal length. <3 I think you'll feel so fulfilled when you do.
Rannan: said (12:24):
*Remember what we talked about about long hair? The amount of work and effort into getting it makes it so special? <> Imagine the satisfaction when you do reach it.
*I know that's what you want.
*I know that's what I want.
*I want you to have that sort of satisfaction and happyness.
Rannan: said (12:25):
*If you feel you honestly will not regret cutting your hair, you should do it. BUT, if you feel even the SLIGHTEST TWINGE to not do it, then by God don't. XD I don't want to treat you as if you have no idea what you want and all your desires are just "in the moment", but you just gotta keep perspective on this. <3
Rannan: said (12:26):
*I love you Sammy. :D I just want you happy. I always want you happy. I want to see you reach your length and have no regrets, as you have already regretted cutting your hair many times in the past.
*Now, watch me give out this huge speech when you really just planned the smallest of trims. XD!! >> LOL!
*I love you. XD!

But, I still have this huge urge to cut to pixie. Mainly due to my huge amounts of layers, perhaps I should...? But would I regret it? I don't knoww. @_@ I don't even know if pixie would suit my face shape! :p It's quite round/squarish. LOL! However, I don't know whether I should heed his advice or not... he is true to my personality though, I'd probably cry, but is it worth it to remove so much layering that had thinned out my quite thick hair? To start anew? Plus, I want my virgin hair back! :p I'm so scared of losing length though, hmm. Would I like it? :x

Editted his email out, lolz just in case he doesn't want anyone to add him!

My hair now:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4527&pictureid=70174
The layers make my ends look so thin!

It used to be like:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4527&pictureid=59740

Haven't really got a back pic. >>;
Hey, you can see my dad in the background! *Waves* :p

edit: WOOPS, lied:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4527&pictureid=63288

julliams
April 24th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I have a bunch of layers too. I'm growing to waist and then getting it cut every 3 months until all the layers are gone. It's going to take me about a year to get to waist. You are already there so I would advise cutting every couple of months until your layers catch up. Every month your hair will look thicker and fuller.

But... it's your hair. Whatever you choose will look great. You have really lovely thick hair.

jaine
April 24th, 2010, 05:31 AM
But, I still have this huge urge to cut to pixie. Mainly due to my huge amounts of layers, perhaps I should...? But would I regret it? I don't knoww. @_@ I don't even know if pixie would suit my face shape! :p It's quite round/squarish. LOL! However, I don't know whether I should heed his advice or not... he is true to my personality though, I'd probably cry, but is it worth it to remove so much layering that had thinned out my quite thick hair? To start anew? Plus, I want my virgin hair back! :p I'm so scared of losing length though, hmm. Would I like it? :x

I think your hair is lovely now and would look lovely at pixie length too! But, something to think about ... a pixie cut will also have layers as it grows out. If you really want to get rid of layers, you'll eventually need to cut the hemline as the top layers catch up.

That said, I love layers. :D They add shape and personality. I think your layers look unique and beautiful!

Loreley
April 24th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I've been thinking about cutting my hair back to waist length for ages. My ends are thin and I don't like it. I have layers because of old dye demage, which I S&D a lot. The layers are at my waist or maybe tailbone. But I know I'd regret it immediately if I had cut it.
I want virgin hair without layers with thick ends but want more length too. I decided to do only small trims till I reach my goal and then I'll cut all the growth anyway cause I don't want it longer.

rach
April 24th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I hear your pain on layers :grouphug:

Sammich
April 24th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Aww, guys. Thank you for your replies!
julliams: Thank you so much! ^_^ That made me happy.
jaine: Hey, I'm glad some people like layers here! I hardly ever see anyone who likes layers! :p Thank you muchly, your compliments give me confidence. The thing is, I do love layers, but I just thinned it out waaay too much. >>; All anyone can hear me do is complain here on this site! LOL. I guess you are right... I did recently reach waist length. >_< It's very conflicting in my head! :@ To get it over with and cut it to ALMOST pixie like (With less layers) and then grow it out almost virgin like... or... just keep the layers and keep the length and then maintain it at my goal.
Either way is painful! :p LOL!
Loreley: I have tons of dye damage, I've been dying my hair probably once or twice a year since I was about 10. :x Perhaps that's why my hair isn't as soft as I'd like.
I think I might go with your idea... Hmm.
rach: :( *Grouphug* <3 sigh, when will the torture ever end!? LOL! :p

Rapunzal2Be
April 24th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Personally I love your hair, and I know how it is to cut and then regret. My vote is to stay long, but I think you'd look great with a pixie, too, if that's what you *really, really* want.

KittyLost
April 24th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Don't cut!
At least not yet.
Just wait another month or two and see if you still feel the same.
And if you do then talk about cutting it into a pixie.
Otherwise just keep it long and wait your layers out a little more.
Saves you doing anything you may regret :)

Siava
April 24th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Initiate that 2 week rule! Really, really think about cutting to pixie if you're concerned about your layers. You'll be trimming out layers for at least a year or more if you do cut to pixie and be stuck in the same boat you're in now, but with super short hair. If your goal is length without layers, you can maintain with trims until the layers are gone. Your layers do not look bad at all! Of course, cut to pixie if your heart is set on it, but give it some more thought first to know it's 100&#37; what you want.

p.s. I'm glad your boyfriend was totally honest with you. That speaks volumes about his character.

eta: I don't know if you follow fashion trends, but all of the long haired gals with extensions I see on t.v. have...layers! And you thought nobody liked layers anymore. ;)

cmnt831
April 24th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Aw, Sammich, don't make such a drastic cut. Think about it for at least a month. If you still want to trim then just trim back to BSL. That might make all the difference in how the ends look - especially as the layers on top get longer. You've worked too hard to get to waist and I know how happy you were to finally get there. Just hang in there a bit longer. I think your hair is actually looking really nice. :flower:

noelgirl
April 24th, 2010, 07:36 AM
You are beautiful and have beautiful hair, and that would be true whether it was at pixie or down to the floor. That said, if it's layers you're trying to get rid of, a pixie is exactly what I wouldn't suggest, since it would give you shorter layers at a much more awkward length to grow from. Even the shortest of your layers don't look that short anyway, from what I can tell, so it seems that it would be counter to all of your goals (bluntness and length) to cut that much off. From the looks of it, even a small trim would make a big difference in your hemline, if that's what you choose to prioritize. Your hair looks lovely as it is, though, and you could grow from there easily.

Wanderer09
April 24th, 2010, 08:04 AM
If you want to cut, why not shoulder or APL or so? That's where it looks thickest, based on your pic, and you'd be rid of most of your layers. :)

FrannyG
April 24th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I don't know what you mean by a pixie cut, but traditionally a pixie cut is all about layers, much like a boy's haircut.

I understand your frustration with layers, but honestly, I think your hair is lovely as it is. And if you've ever read any of my posts, you'll know that I am very honest with an OP if he or she really feels that they need a cut.

I'm just not seeing it with your hair though. If you absolutely can't stand the layers, just get an inch or two cut off for starters, but no more cuts with layers!

And whatever you decide, please, please, implement the two-week rule.

As I said before, I think you and your hair look lovely. :blossom:

JenniferNoel
April 24th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I say don't cut. If you do, really, really need to cut, you could go up to APL where most of your thickness appears to be, then you wouldn't really have "short" hair by average standards and it would be less of a shock. But really, your hair looks just fine, and I don't think it's worth it to lose all the length right now.
I say, wait a while longer, and if the layers bother you as much as they do now, then it really is your call.
But like I said. Your hair looks just fine. ;) :grouphug:

loralie
April 24th, 2010, 10:40 AM
What what what!!?!?!

Don't do ittttt! Layers are a pain but you seem to have great progress so if you want to get rid of them just grow and trim, grow and trim!

I think your hair is beautiful, but you know that already ;)
And I love your layers. They're interesting and unique!

Lemur_Catta
April 24th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I agree with the others :D If you want to cut because you don't like your layers, why would you want to have a heavily layered cut, which would be difficult to grow out? If you really want to cut and have short hair, you could try a bob, which is more of a blunt cut and easily to grow if you decide so.
On the other hand, your hair looks pretty and healthy, and if I were you I would not cut, or maybe just 1-2 inches.

spidermom
April 24th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Your hair is growing along very nicely; I'm glad you resisted the cutting urge.

Sunny_side_up
April 24th, 2010, 02:36 PM
What what what!!?!?!

Don't do ittttt! Layers are a pain but you seem to have great progress so if you want to get rid of them just grow and trim, grow and trim!

I think your hair is beautiful, but you know that already ;)
And I love your layers. They're interesting and unique!

Totally agree! little bit off the ends every so often do the job, youll gradually notice it looking fuller, You are cute sammich and i guess any style would suit your face but you have fab length and such a drastic cut may result in you feeling a big loss! I think your layering looks great on you, if you want to get rid of them please do it gradually over a long period of time :D

jera
April 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Before doing something as drastic as cutting from waist to pixie, I'd try a pixie wig first. You may hate it and at least with a wig you can rip it off and get back to yourself pronto. :magic:

While if you actually cut from waist to pixie, it could take several years to grow back if you hate it unless you glue in extensions. I'd rather be on the safe side of this equation. :rolleyes:

little_cherry
April 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Awwww :grouphug:

I think your hair is just so gorgeous they way it is now. I agree that layers are a pain in the butt to grow out (which is why my hair is still at shoulder length), but I know that you'll get there ^_^ I've often fanastised about shaving my hair off because I've lost it by the handfuls every day and now have lots of new growth (I have this thought every day and it sucks)...the thing is, I know I'd totally regret it.

Were here with you every step of the way! *hugs*

Capybara
April 24th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Awh, that's so nice!

The thing about cutting to pixie, if you want to grow it out again there are more layers to deal with, comparable with what you have now.

To tell the truth, I actually think your layers look cute! If you can't stand them, maybe a trim is in order? I used to have layers comparable to yours and grew them out - sometimes I miss them though, they made some styles a lot easier to do!

And remember, it is your hair. If you do decide to cut, and that's what you really want, enjoy it :) But, if you do decide to keep it, enjoy it as well! :flower:

LoversLullaby
April 24th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I hear your pain on layers :grouphug:
As do I. :grouphug: What I would do if I was you is to cut your hair a little bit at a time to get rid of the layers. That way you won't lose length, while losing those darn layers! Because to me it sounds like you don't want to to lose length but want those layers to be gone!
Of course my assumption may totally be wrong! Just do whatever makes you most happy. :D

Deborah
April 24th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I agree that a pixie is too drastic, even if you want to lose the layers. Why not trim off about 2 or 3 inches now, and do 2 or 3 more inches occasionally until the layers are all gone. In this way you can keep your hair long, but still thicken up your hemline. Some like to cut only 1/2 inch at a time, but I think that takes too long, and requires too much patience for one who wants a different look.. I vote for 2 or 3 inches at a time. :)

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

lilravendark
April 24th, 2010, 09:21 PM
what a sweet BF you've made so much progress with your hair and it looks really good on you girl :D

diner
April 25th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I am busy trying to grow out from pixie...don't cut it if you don't like layers. Pixie leaves lots of layers as you grow it out...presently hate my hair as it is thick and bouncing everywhere and because of the layers it is very difficult to do anything with it. I would say, cut pixie because you like it short, not because you are wanting to grow it again.

Debra83
April 25th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Don't Do It!!!!!!!:tmi:

Capybara
April 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I hope that Emichiee doesn't mind me posting this here, but she wrote a really good blog post on thickening up your hemline without losing length:
http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html

Fiferstone
April 25th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I agree, do NOT choose a pixie-cut, which will just mean a bunch of super-short (2 inches long or less) layers all over your head, and several months of in-between awkward-stage awfulness. Instead, if you don't like how thin and whispy your ends are (and I think your ends look fine, by the way), cut 1/2 of your monthly growth amount every 2 months, which is what I think Nightshade did. That way, you get rid of the layers without getting rid of your length and it doesn't feel like you're losing all the progress you've gained.

If you must cut length, go for a blunt cut (leaving everything as long as the thickest layer). It'll be less traumatic in terms of the length you'll lose, and you'll be done with most of the layers, if not all of them.

By all means, institute the 2 week rule (or perhaps the 2 month rule), so as not to do anything drastic on impulse. Impulse is not your friend.

Sammich
April 26th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Oh wow, you guys, sooooo many replies!! O__O This is very encouraging, thank you so muchh! :D Thank you all of you for your compliments and stuff. Awww... Thank you. You LHC people rock. <3 :cheese:
I guess I was incredibly patient to get this length... but to lose it all... Hmm, I have waited 2 years to get to waist length, it would be pretty hard to get back to shoulder again... Ahhgh... It's just I want my virgin hair really badly too, and I was thinking "Hmm, two in one. Layers almost gone and virgin almost full!"
By the way I was thinking more of a bob! I didn't realise till everyone err, yeah... :o Woops, but thank you for discouraging me anyway from getting super short. ^_^ <3
I'm sorry I can't reply to everyone! :o

I hope that Emichiee doesn't mind me posting this here, but she wrote a really good blog post on thickening up your hemline without losing length:
http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html
Aww, thank you very much for that, it seems very helpful. I'll be seeing if I might be trying that later on. (Perhaps around summer, if I don't decide to cut! :) )

I'll think on it. I guess I'll be doing the two week rule, after 2 weeks... you'll see my decision! ;)

vindo
April 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Sammich if it makes you feel any better, I started out with a strongly layered cut just like yours and dyed hair.

I'm glad I brought up the patience to the just grow it out...layers quickly better with little trims and dyed hair can hold up pretty well too...I still got my last bits of dye below waist and they are pretty healthy.

Good lucks whatever you decide! :)

Henrietta
May 9th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Few days ago I wanted to cut to pixie too. I thought that my hair is beautiful, yes, but my face looks awful in a frame of long hair. I mean longer that APL. I told myself "Now you can make some kind of updo, like a fake bob, and have short hair. But when you'll have it short, you won't be able to have it long" and it didn't help, as I needed a change.
And I found a helpful trick: I just made a fake bob, so I looked like I had short hair. After a two days of wearing this updo, when I let my hair down, I thought I love it. And I was proud and happy, because I didn't cut it. Normally, I don't want to cut it, what's more, I want to grow it. But sometimes... I feel strange, I need a change, and instead of, I don't know refurhish my room, I am picking at my hair.