PDA

View Full Version : Supplements

JBO
April 23rd, 2010, 11:12 PM
I began taking biotin about a month ago as well as an all-in-one. Last week I added MSM to my regime.

I was wondering as far as hair growth goes, how long it took people to see the effects of supplements they were taking?

Also, side note, anyone tried silica supplements? Did they improve growth rate at all?

McFearless
May 6th, 2010, 11:36 PM
After 4 weeks passed I began seeing changes from taking biotin daily. My multivitamin took about 2 months.

Flynn
May 6th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Also, side note, anyone tried silica supplements? Did they improve growth rate at all?

Silica may help hair and nail strength, but make sure you're taking (choline-stabilised) orthosilicic acid, rather than just plain silica. (Biosil brand is a well-known one. I haven't found any brand selling it in Australian chemist shops yet...) Your body can't absorb plain ol' silica -- it comes straight out the other end, so you're just wasting your money. >_o

lastnite
May 7th, 2010, 12:29 AM
it takes about 3 months for me to notice the changes. not sure about faster hair growth, but I focus more on less shedding, stronger hair, less splits, shine

Purdy Bear
May 7th, 2010, 02:02 AM
In Kingsleys book The Hair Bible, he says it takes 2 months for any difference and 6 for people to notice.

Personally I think it depends how aware you are of your hairs condition.

emmabovary
May 7th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I just started taking silica, mainly because my nails were splitting :( The product I'm using contains brewer's yeast and extract from Equisetum arvense (common horsetail), containing 16 mg silica whereof 8 mg silicon... Does this sound like a decent silica supplement to you knowledgeables? :) I just got the first cheap thing I saw. It's too early to tell if there's any difference.

dropinthebucket
May 7th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I was taking Silicea brand silica supplements, took it for about four months - didn't notice faster hair growth in that time, and had to stop because it was really an expensive brand. Recently, I started taking MSM - i guess i've been taking it about three weeks - haven't noticed a change in the hair yet, but my nails are growing like crazy.

frizzalot
May 7th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I have been taking a multivitamin (with biotin) for nearly 6months, I haven't noticed any difference in hair growth/texture, but after a week of taking the multivitamin my shedding dropped to about 15 hairs a day. I was shedding sh*t loads, I actually lost a third of my thickness in the space of a week. That was the reason I started taking the multivitamin. Currently on non-wash days my shedding appears to be <5 hairs.

I know for sure that I'm not shedding that much because there isn't much hair on the carpet/in the vacuum cleaner :)