PDA

View Full Version : Longer-than-bsl hairstyle question

gink001
April 23rd, 2010, 04:55 PM
Hi everyone, this is just a curiousity thing for me as I'm a way off yet :) but I was wondering, are there any hairstyles that can only be done with very long hair? I know that many styles are easy to do from about bsl on with slight variations, I'm just curious if there are any styles that require lots more length (everyday type styles)? Hope this was clear!

rhosyn_du
April 23rd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Some of it depends on the thickness of your hair. I've got just-past-waist-length hair right on the border between ii and iii, and there still a bunch of styles my hair isn't long enough for. Like, I can't quite do a log roll or an orchid bun, and while I can get my hair into a figure-8, it will only hold for about an hour.

Merewen
April 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Yes, there are styles that require much longer hair. The only one coming to me off the top of my head is hair taping, since that's the one I'm saddest I can't do yet.

BlueMuse
April 23rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
I've found that the elaborateness of braids can be increased with greater length. I can get all crazy and braid braids into other braids and then other braids still without it looking weird now. It's kind of fun. Also, sailor moon buns with crazy long tails.

Longlocks3
April 23rd, 2010, 10:17 PM
I wasn't a member here when I was BSL but I do tons of different fun stuff everyday! I love to rope braid. I love to do hair taping. I love Dutch braids. I think those styles are all perfectly acceptable as everyday wear. And I believe those are all styles that are doable at BSL.

gink001
April 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'm enjoying all the styles I've learned from LHC so far, and have more to look forward to. Never heard of hair taping, off to look it up...

Lemur_Catta
April 24th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Yes, there are styles that require much longer hair. The only one coming to me off the top of my head is hair taping, since that's the one I'm saddest I can't do yet.

Actually, hair taping can be done on not-so-long hair, if you use two braids instead of one. It needs pretty long hair anyway, like waist or more, but if you wanted to do it with one braid you would need tailbone or maybe classic!
I think it is prettier with one braid, because it looks thicker, but right now I can only do it with two :(

Alcenaia
April 24th, 2010, 12:18 PM
A lot of Princess Leia's styles can be done with hair beyond BSL, although they're not really everyday styles.

Tiara braids require two braids that you can wrap around the circumference of your head. Heidi braids require two braids that can be wrapped over the head between your ears. I used to wear Heidi braids fairly often; now I wear tiara braids.

Happy growing! :flower:

chopandchange
April 24th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Chinese buns!

I think I could actually do one successfully at the length I am now (waist) if it weren't for my layers. That, and the fact that my hair is so heavy and thick that the sheer weight of it makes it unravel on itself. You need your hair to be long enough that you are able to wrap it around and around and around, so it does need quite long hair (or at least hair thinner than mine, that won't be as heavy and therefore won't unravel itself).

I can't wait till it's longer and I can do one, because it's one of the few styles that stays put for me without falling out, and also feels comfortable.

ETA: I've just noticed Longlocks3 is demonstrating a rather smashing example of what looks like a ropebraided Chinese bun in her siggy pic.

Envious? Me? Em...yes!

Sarahmoon
April 24th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I think you need longer than bsl hair to do a Celtic knot, but not sure.

freckles
April 25th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I have hair between BSL and waist and I can't wait until a bunnytail looks good on me. I can just about do it at this length, but the 'tail' part is ridiculously short. I can't do a crown braid yet either. Those are the two I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are lots more.

fisher2
April 25th, 2010, 07:17 AM
i didnt have a hairtye so i found out i can actually wrap my hair over my hand and tie a overhand knot into it to keep it loosely back for heavy wind times im out walking soo a hairknot? i couldnt do it 3 months ago it was hard now but hey

Merewen
April 25th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Hmm, I'm almost waist stretched and have tried two braids for hair taping, but they just don't seem to quite meet in the middle yet. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong?