PDA

View Full Version : Stop Telling Me To Cut My Hair!

nycstar
April 23rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone!
Ok, I must vent :mad: .
At work today, an esteemed coworker (casually) told me that it was time to trim my hair and maybe even get side bangs. :scissors: I immediately responded by telling her that I choose not to trim/cut my hair for some time until I feel that my shortest layers catch up to the longest ones (hip & tail bone). She said: Oh no!

I was so upset but didn't show my feelings and explained that I wanted to grow out my layers because I regretted getting them in the first place. I'm sure her suggestion came from an innocent place but I'm sick of women suggesting that I cut my hair because THEY prefer shorter, "tradtional" cuts. I notice that men compliment my hair more often than women. However, I must add that while I was in Orlando, a teenager complimented my hair in a nail salon, telling me that I should never cut it & that it was beautiful. :thumbsup:

Happy posting!

doro357
April 23rd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Tell them to shut up, it's none of their business what you do to your hair.

ItalianFlower
April 23rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Your hair is beautiful. :) You do what you want. But I know what you mean... it can really hit a soft spot when people say stuff like that.

hazelnut
April 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Don't you just love people who can't mind their own business?:rolleyes: My grandmother is constantly telling me that I need to straighten my hair and do all this other unnecessary crap to it. And I constantly tell her, "No. I'm trying to grow it out. Not break it off to the point where I don't have any hair at all." But she never gets off my back about it. You just have to tell her that her interest in your hair is appreciated but it's your hair and you can do whatever it is you want to do to it.

oceanwoman111
April 23rd, 2010, 05:38 PM
I don't know why long, lovely hair bothers some people so much? I think they wish they had it ,but for some reason don't so it bothers them to see it on others. Or maybe they are just rude and feel like they can stick their nose where it doesn't belong.:crazyq: When I worked briefly in cosmetics, my female co-workers told me many times to cut my hair into a style. I didn't listen to a word they said. Who wants to look like everyone else?Not me.

lunagoose
April 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
From the provided avatar picture, your hair looks very long and nice, don't cut it if you don't feel that is necessary.

I know it sounds a bit silly, but of lately I've been living by the slogan"if you don't like me, don't look at me", honestly it works for balancing my internal peace!

phistash
April 23rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
I'm also growing out layers, and have had people stop me in the street to tell me that I need to style my hair. Of course, I'm fairly certain that those people work for hair salons and are just trying to get customers. I think that's a questionable method of roping in customers. Insult them, and then expect them to listen to your "professional" advice?
If you are in NY, then I am sure you know these people. They walk up to you and ask who cuts your hair. I love looking at them very sternly and saying, "I cut my own hair, and no, I don't need to fix it."

The thing that gets me is that I am usually well-dressed, so if my hair style isn't layered, and therefore not fashionable, you'd think that these people would get that I am obviously wearing my hair like I do on purpose. Especially since my hair is very healthy.

I saw a girl on the street the other day with waist length hair, all one layer, and she certainly did not look unfashionable. I thought it was beautiful, and I sure most people would agree.

loralie
April 23rd, 2010, 06:19 PM
What I'd say:

"No... but maybe it's about time you shaved your head and got side burns. Just sayin"

:D

(and I have side bangs and layers and love them. But to each their own for crying out loud people. I'd never tell anyone what would be good for them. Sometimes I get so tired of dealing with that crap too)

Alun
April 23rd, 2010, 06:38 PM
What I'd say:

"No... but maybe it's about time you shaved your head and got side burns. Just sayin"

(and I have side bangs and layers and love them. But to each their own for crying out loud people. I'd never tell anyone what would be good for them. Sometimes I get so tired of dealing with that crap too)

ROTFLMAO!

(Extra words just to increase the word count inserted here)

cmnt831
April 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
What I'd say:

I have to remember this next time someone makes a crack about my hair. :lol:

Nycstar, if you're happy with your hair, then no one else's opinion matters. :flower:

Caldonia Sun
April 23rd, 2010, 07:19 PM
She says, looking puzzled, "You know, I tried cutting and it just grew again! Go figure!"

Pear Martini
April 23rd, 2010, 07:43 PM
She has no education on politeness. Ignore her.

Gwri WalltEuryn
April 23rd, 2010, 08:07 PM
I've had that happen to me a lot, especially since I am a guy.

For some reason, I find it extremely offensive, like my hair is a target. Rarely do people go up to others and tell them they need to change clothes, get plastic surgery, etc. so why is my hair so different? So I can look 'presentable' in their terms, for their satisfaction? Heck no! I already look presentable the way I am.

When one of my uncles or older balding men say 'You need to get a haircut' I turn and say 'And you need some Rogaine!' and that usually shuts them up. I've even had an older woman with short gray hair say 'Oh I thought you were a girl!', so I told her that if she is going to assume someone's gender by the length of hair, then she is a man. (culturally speaking in my location). Yeah, I can get pretty harsh. :o

BlueMuse
April 23rd, 2010, 10:41 PM
I just think that some people don't put any real value on hair. It's just an accessory, and like any accessory they might say "oh, I'm not sure that pink necklace is really you" or in my husband's case "your blue clip in extensions are kinda creeping me out". (And to be fair, I do know that he doesn't like out of the normal spectrum hair colors.) They seem to forget that unlike necklaces and clip-in's, several feet of hair just can't come and go overnight.

I guess I'm just lucky that everyone seems to love my hair. My neighbor was just recently telling me how psyched she was that her hair was getting longer and she couldn't wait until it was nice and long like mine and she could wear fun hair sticks like I have.

Gumball
April 23rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
What I'd say:

Hahaha. That cracked me up. I can imagine them looking at us like we were crazy. :lol:

noelgirl
April 23rd, 2010, 11:20 PM
I'm also growing out layers, and have had people stop me in the street to tell me that I need to style my hair. Of course, I'm fairly certain that those people work for hair salons and are just trying to get customers. I think that's a questionable method of roping in customers. Insult them, and then expect them to listen to your "professional" advice?
If you are in NY, then I am sure you know these people. They walk up to you and ask who cuts your hair. I love looking at them very sternly and saying, "I cut my own hair, and no, I don't need to fix it."

We have those people in Chicago! Annoys me too. To be fair, I work in retail, on commission, so I get that they're trying to make a sale and really ought to be a bit more sympathetic, but I would never go about it by insulting people. We're big on compliments where I work (extra points for sincere ones!). But I run into them on my way into work, and usually do my best person-in-a-hurry impression (and sometimes it's not an act, thank you CTA). But the lead-in line is always "Can I ask you a question about your hair?". Which I love if only because it sets up the response "I don't really like talking about my hair" (along the lines of "I don't really like talking about my flair"). Can't overuse that one, but it's fun every once in a while.

Arctic_Mama
April 23rd, 2010, 11:54 PM
If it comes from an innocent place I'd be sure to give an innocent, gentle answer. If it is repeated, belligerent, or snarky, I struggle to not answer in kind!

VitaR86
April 24th, 2010, 12:48 AM
What I'd say:

Best come back ....EVER!!!!

And ditto on the side bangs and layers. I personally love having my long layers.

She says, looking puzzled, "You know, I tried cutting and it just grew again! Go figure!"

Also a good comeback. I need to remember this and loralie's.

julliams
April 24th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Tell her she should grow hers!

Heavenly Locks
April 24th, 2010, 01:28 AM
"Oh, I'm sorry...I couldn't hear you over the sound of me minding my own business."

:rolleyes:

JCFantasy23
April 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Hi everyone!
Ok, I must vent :mad: .
At work today, an esteemed coworker (casually) told me that it was time to trim my hair and maybe even get side bangs. :scissors: I immediately responded by telling her that I choose not to trim/cut my hair for some time until I feel that my shortest layers catch up to the longest ones (hip & tail bone). She said: Oh no!

I was so upset but didn't show my feelings and explained that I wanted to grow out my layers because I regretted getting them in the first place. I'm sure her suggestion came from an innocent place but I'm sick of women suggesting that I cut my hair because THEY prefer shorter, "tradtional" cuts. I notice that men compliment my hair more often than women. However, I must add that while I was in Orlando, a teenager complimented my hair in a nail salon, telling me that I should never cut it & that it was beautiful. :thumbsup:

Happy posting!

It seems to bother women much more than men, like they don't want to have it or else think others shouldn't, so it really seems to irk them. I've very rarely found men that prefer the shorter hair on women, though, and they seem more bothered by women chopping all their hair off, although they usually don't tell them that to their faces like women do.

What's even stranger is if you have women friends or co-workers and get a cut that they don't care for, thy almost never say anything so they don't come across and rude and hurting your feelings. :confused: They have no hesitation with telling you you'd look better with short hair, what the hell?

nycstar
April 24th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I just read everyone's comment. Thanks for the advice.
Julliams: I actually did mention that she should grow her hair... she has tight curls and it suits her well... but she just acted like long hair was such an archaic concept. Other people always compliment my hair but there's always some woman that seems to have a problem with it.

Crystal520
April 24th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Aww! I'm sorry hun! Your hair is beautiful and it's your hair, not her's! Tell her to shove it!

nycstar
April 24th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Aww! I'm sorry hun! Your hair is beautiful and it's your hair, not her's! Tell her to shove it!

haha.. sounds like a plan!

Amraann
April 24th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I so would not even let it phase me.
Some women just are jealous.

They do not have what it takes to grow their hair so they feel that no one else should either.
Also some women have some odd ideas about who should or should not have long hair.
Like anyone over the age of 20 should not have long hair.

TheLuckyLurker
April 24th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Well, if it was me, I'd look her in the eye and say "But if I did that, I'd look just like you" and then walk away and leave her standing there with her mouth hanging open. Then again, I don't have to see her at work every day either, so maybe not such a good idea...

spidermom
April 24th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I think that people get confused. Just because we are each entitled to an opinion doesn't mean we should voice it. I'm sorry your coworker criticized your hair; that's not nice.

nycstar
April 24th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I so would not even let it phase me.
Some women just are jealous.

They do not have what it takes to grow their hair so they feel that no one else should either.
Also some women have some odd ideas about who should or should not have long hair.
Like anyone over the age of 20 should not have long hair.

hmmm your comment got me thinking... she's 27 (the girl that said this to me) and I'm in my 30s but I've been told that I look young for my age.

Peter
April 24th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I used to get comments like that all the time because I'm male. At least a couple of times a week, one of my close friends or family members would say something about how my hair looked bad or that I should cut it (or both!). It used to upset me a lot and I was really bothered by it, but I don't really care anymore. I guess people just don't like it when you're different.

josette
April 24th, 2010, 11:03 PM
i know how you feel last year i started beauty school(totaly hated it^_^)but still made it through, but while i was there a girl asked if she could put layers in my hair i said yes because i had them before and liked them. she ended up cutting off 5 inches off :( so i am in the process of not only growing out the layers but also the rest of it it's almost back to it's orignal.

VitaR86
April 25th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I used to get comments like that all the time because I'm male. At least a couple of times a week, one of my close friends or family members would say something about how my hair looked bad or that I should cut it (or both!). It used to upset me a lot and I was really bothered by it, but I don't really care anymore. I guess people just don't like it when you're different.
My husband got crap from his boss about his hair and it was only to his chin. Maybe shoulders if it was straight. Guys seem to have it worse

Arriens
April 25th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Guys seem to have it worseFor some odd reason, it pretty much stopped since they reached bsl. :D

Sarahmoon
April 25th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Men compliment your beautiful hair and women tell you to cut it? Heh, good chance they're jealous. Just tell them it's YOUR hair and you prefer if they don't bring it up again.

nycstar
April 25th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Well, if it was me, I'd look her in the eye and say "But if I did that, I'd look just like you" and then walk away and leave her standing there with her mouth hanging open. Then again, I don't have to see her at work every day either, so maybe not such a good idea...

Oh that's such a good comeback!! But I'll reserve it for someone I don't have to see at work. hahaha :) thanks!

nycstar
April 25th, 2010, 07:09 AM
i know how you feel last year i started beauty school(totaly hated it^_^)but still made it through, but while i was there a girl asked if she could put layers in my hair i said yes because i had them before and liked them. she ended up cutting off 5 inches off :( so i am in the process of not only growing out the layers but also the rest of it it's almost back to it's orignal.

hmm I understand that feeling well. I don't know why I did it in the first place. Is is boredom? I did this years back also--I had lovely all one-length hair and cut layers into it (thankfully long layers both time so the back was always really long). You'll get there soon. My hair is growing, I can tell. In a year we'll be smiling again!:cheese:

Aurielle
May 2nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
This has happened to me as well. Only, not with layers exactly.
Right now, I have most of my length a dyed blonde color on top that was done over a year ago with natural brown roots that are about shoulder length for the most part. I aim to get my hair so that it is as least below BSL, ideally waist length after I trim off the damaged, dyed-blonde part.
Girls in my classes find this "mission" a horror; something that should never be done. I've often overheard girls whispering that they wish they could just chop it off in to a pixie cut, an improvement in their eyes. "Couldn't you at least just dye or bleach the roots?" they ask when I tell them I refuse to chop it off.
I have only ever recieved one compliment regarding my current hair from a girl my age; she said she had thought it was a purposefully-dyed, duo-tone look and said that she wanted to get her hair done to look like my transition hair color!
(I have also recieved compliments from my grandmother's friends, mostly regarding how "long and soft" my hair is, although it is no match for the hair I have seen lurking about on here.)
Boys, however, ask me how long I will be growing my hair and end the conversation saying my "mission" is "cool," as opposed to chiding me for not chemically dying the rest or straightening it out any more the way girls do. :D Hooray for boys!
It's interesting, to say the least.

turtlelover
May 2nd, 2010, 09:04 PM
I don't really care if people think I should cut my hair or not. Just today, a male friend told me I look better w/ short hair. As long as I don't have a hairdresser inflicting their opinion on me, I don't really care what other people would prefer I do w/ my hair. It is all a matter of opinion! Of course, if someone would nag me about things constantly, that might be grounds for re-evaluating my friendship w/ them, but honestly, I can blow off a few comments about what I should or shouldn't do w/ my hair.

Lielananna
May 2nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
I have a female friend of mine that used to ask me all the time if I ever was going to do something with my hair, i.e. dye/put in highlights. My response to those kind of questions is that I love the natural highlights in my hair and I'd lose them if I dyed it :).

My mom kinda jokes every once in a while that I'll change my mind about growing my hair to the floor (knee now) once I have kids in the next year or so, but I think that's because she didn't know all the hairstyles I've learned to do when she had hip length hair and so had to chop it off when she had kids so it wouldn't get in the way constantly. My usual response to her is a look or a deliberate pause over the phone :p and she remembers that I know a ton of styles to put it back in...and I'm learning more as I browse these forums.

Kirsty
May 2nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
From your avatar, your hair looks gorgeous.
Your hair is yours. :)
Truth be known, she's probably jealous.

Don't let it keep you down for too long... Just keep the postive comments in mind, instead.

"I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am not your expectations
I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am a soul that lives within" ~ India.Arie

If you're happy with it (and you should be, like I said it's gorgeous!) that's all that matters.

jackiesjottings
May 3rd, 2010, 02:57 AM
I had this in a now long ago previous job. One day I replied by saying, politely but firmly "I have my hair long because I want my hair long and because I like my hair long so no. I haven't thought any more about cutting it". Response.. "well as long as you are happy with it how it is" and the subject was never mentioned again.

I would never dream of telling another person what they should do with any aspect of their appearance but sadly there are a lot of people out there who don't feel the same :(

tarn
May 3rd, 2010, 05:56 AM
So sorry she said that to you. For some people it just seems to be all about the latest trend which will be out in a year or two anyway.
Your hair is gorgeous!

Maverick494
May 3rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
When I was 11, I had my hair at classic length. Until my classmates kept harassing me about it and I had it cut to a sharp bob. Does anyone know the movie: the Professional? Well, I kinda looked like Mathilda. When I got older I regretted it, ofcourse.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that you shouldn't let others influence you. Right now I have my hair halfway down my back and people start complaining again. Especially the bitchy ones. They can be quite persistant. When I've had enough of it, I tell them:

"Look, I'm not telling you what to do with your appearance, now am I? Because if I would be like that, I'd tell you that those Uggs look horrible, and those skinny jeans are not really flattering on your figure either. But it's not really my business, so you can pretend you didn't hear that and then we'll both go on our merry way."

Sure, you don't make friends that way, but heck, my friends don't talk to me like that.

Guys seem to have it worse

Yeah, they do. I have a guy friend who has layered hair with the longest layer about shoulderlength. I love it, but everyone tells him he should cut it.

In2wishin
May 3rd, 2010, 08:38 AM
I have a mother who is a retired gym teacher and has had short hair all her life. She made me keep mine in a "pixie" cut until I got old enough to make my own decisions (junior high). I have had shoulder-to just below shoulder length until about 5 years ago when I let my hair grow.

Mom once told me I need to get my hair cut short because "women my age with long hair look like witches" and that I need to go to a salon to have it thinned as well as cut. She still bugs me about it but I think she may finally be resigned to the fact that she has a "witch" daughter who fequently gets compliments on her hair right in front of mom. That is the best answer for her....

Das Siechtum
May 3rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Hihi. That reminds me of something that happened to me last Judo session. I was practising with a boy (about 18) and braid sometimes got in the way. He asked: "Don't you want to cut your hair?" And I said: "No. Because I like long hair." He: "Well, you gotta respect that." :-)

Maverick494
May 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
When I was 11, I had my hair at classic length. Until my classmates kept harassing me about it and I had it cut to a sharp bob. Does anyone know the movie: the Professional? Well, I kinda looked like Mathilda. When I got older I regretted it, ofcourse.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that you shouldn't let others influence you. Right now I have my hair halfway down my back and people start complaining again. Especially the bitchy ones. They can be quite persistant. When I've had enough of it, I tell them:

"Look, I'm not telling you what to do with your appearance, now am I? Because if I would be like that, I'd tell you that those Uggs look horrible, and those skinny jeans are not really flattering on your figure either. But it's not really my business, so you can pretend you didn't hear that and then we'll both go on our merry way."

Sure, you don't make friends that way, but heck, my friends don't talk to me like that.

Guys seem to have it worse

Yeah, they do. I have a guy friend who has layered hair with the longest layer about shoulderlength. I love it, but everyone tells him he should cut it.

growing2shine
May 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
I hate when people says what I should and shouldn't do. And I also hate when my best friend asks if she may dye my hair. She has very short and dry hair and she can't understand that I want long healthy hair :(

nycstar
May 5th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I have a mother who is a retired gym teacher and has had short hair all her life. She made me keep mine in a "pixie" cut until I got old enough to make my own decisions (junior high). I have had shoulder-to just below shoulder length until about 5 years ago when I let my hair grow.

Mom once told me I need to get my hair cut short because "women my age with long hair look like witches" and that I need to go to a salon to have it thinned as well as cut. She still bugs me about it but I think she may finally be resigned to the fact that she has a "witch" daughter who fequently gets compliments on her hair right in front of mom. That is the best answer for her....

I lovedd your post!!!! Don't you love it when you get compliments about your hair in front of the very same people that have said negative things??!! (sorry it was mom though)... but sometimes mom's are like that.

marzipanthecat
May 5th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Sigh.

People really can't keep their opinions about long hair to themselves! I don't think most people even mean to be so rude, they just don't think. (Me? I'm like, "If I look like a pile of vomit on the carpet then it's because I want to!" - Although I have to say the vast majority of comments I get on my hair are very nice and kind!)

Kitteh
June 18th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Brenda714
June 18th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I think when people say such things they are insanely jealous. Your hair is gorgeous, wow!

klcqtee
June 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM
The thing that gets me is that I am usually well-dressed, so if my hair style isn't layered, and therefore not fashionable, you'd think that these people would get that I am obviously wearing my hair like I do on purpose. Especially since my hair is very healthy.

That made me laugh. Healthy hair isn't fashionable! If it were, people wouldn't get their hair bleached, dyed, razor layered, re-dyed, permed, straightend, blow-fried, the list goes on. (No offense intended to anyone how partakes in these things.)

OP: I'm sure your coworker was offering some friendly advice, but it's your hair. Sure, growing out layers can be a less joyous experience, and it can be a problem when styling. Keep up what you're doing. Your hair is beautiful, do what makes you happy.

jane53
June 18th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I have a friend who constantly tells me to cut my hair.

What really annoys me, though, are the total strangers who come up and tell me two totally contradictory things:

1. "Your hair is so beautiful! It is so healthy and its length is amazing!

2. "Don't you think, at your age, you should have shorter hair?"

They say these two things in the same breath.

Pandora.
June 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I hate it so much when people boss you about over YOUR hair!
I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and say DO NOT cut your hair unless you feel you have to, it's too beautiful to just snip at! :)

Kome
June 18th, 2010, 10:28 AM
My answer to this is always JEALOUSY. People are jealous. I always got more good comments than bad when I was younger with long hair. The bad comments were always from the "uppity" people, the ones who thought they were better than everyone else. Seems to me... they are just jealous and too insecure to do with their hair what they really want to!

slythwolf
June 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM
My sister is always telling me to cut my hair. Long hair is not "in style", and of course that's the only thing that matters. She is the kind of person who has to look exactly like the pictures in magazines, never mind that the women in those pictures don't even look like that. And she is the kind of person who can't stand it that I am unlike her in any way. I have always thought that kind of attitude comes from insecurity: if someone chooses differently than her, she sees it as an attack on her choices, basically as projection of her own fears that she isn't good enough.

She and my mom occasionally gang up on me and talk about how pretty I would be if I cut my hair to around shoulder length and had highlights put in. (Which is weird to me because as a teenager I was never allowed to dye my hair...) I just don't engage with it anymore, basically. I change the subject. They know I don't want to hear it.

Dreams_in_Pink
June 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM
She said: Oh no!

It's so funny that how others are growing hair depresses people! :D She should find something better to feel upset about!

May
June 18th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I think some people think that people who grow long, all one length hair just don't know better or are unaware of current hairstyles or hairstyle possibilities. Sometimes long blended layers can give movement to the hair and sometimes people can look better with bangs...that being said I don't think people should go around offering hair advice (or any advice really) without being asked for it though. It's somewhat rude.

kira33
June 18th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Boy, I sure can relate! My sister is a hair stylist and both she and my mother are very into appearance and what the media deems socially acceptable when it comes to hair and fashion, so they are always suggesting that I cut my hair so I can appear "normal".

slythwolf
June 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM
they are always suggesting that I cut my hair so I can appear "normal".

Yeah, this is basically what my mom & sister are up to with me as well. The thing is, I don't want to look "normal"--I like to stand out! I have some social anxiety and usually feel like everyone is staring at me, but if I can control why they're staring, I don't feel anxious about it anymore.

Charlotte:)
June 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Oh my gosh, that is so annoying!

PiroskaCicu
June 18th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Your hair is so beautiful and especially without layers! It will look so thick and amazing. I am doing the same thing as you. I don't want any layers :).

Don't listen to people...it is not their business how you dress , why should it be their business how you wear your hair?

jasper
June 19th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Heh. i thought of this thread because I just read this on an advice about hair cuts web page: Long hair generally means below the shoulders. Women who generally shouldn't go long are super-short people (you'll forever look age 12) and women with long, narrow faces. Women who look fabulous in long cuts tend to be thin and have oval or square faces. That said, anyone with hair below their breasts is committing a huge beauty faux pas and as their friend, you might gently encourage them to see a stylist.

So, basically, it is every friend's duty to tell us to cut our hair. :cheese:

Mexibeach
June 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I've had that happen and mine was only BSL. I can't figure out why anyone else cares how long my hair is....... and now that it's short, no one is gushing about how wonderful it looks. Go figure!

embee
June 19th, 2010, 11:24 AM
(snip) The thing is, I don't want to look "normal"--I like to stand out! I have some social anxiety and usually feel like everyone is staring at me, but if I can control why they're staring, I don't feel anxious about it anymore.

This is me! :) I have long hair and always wear it up in a bun, so that's not why people stare at me. Most of the time I wear shirts with a snake picture on them, and people do stare at that. Heh. I can deal with it. But if (I feel like) they're staring for no "real" reason, I get very antsy.

Social anxiety/shyness is a big pain, always has been. I sure would like to get past it, but now I'm old and it *still* has not faded. Bummer.

In truth I'd prefer to be invisible, but haven't figured out how to do that yet! :D

chopandchange
June 19th, 2010, 11:59 AM
anyone with hair below their breasts is committing a huge beauty faux pas

What an enlightening webpage - not.

I hate it when people state their own opinions as if they were fact, but the way this one is worded just makes it even more stupid. Whoever wrote that is not a very good writer.

It sounds as though the writer is envisaging a person who has body hair sprouting out from underneath their breasts, in which case we'd probably all agree that it's a "huge beauty faux pas," and they ought to shave or wax it off! Ha ha ha!

I think (and it's my opinion, not fact) that anyone whose long hair reaches below their breasts and covers them would look great naked. I can't wait till my hair is long enough to cover not only my breasts but also my rear end. I think it will be incredibly sensual, beautiful, and alluring to stand naked and yet still be covered by my own hair.

Katurday
June 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM
One time a girl told me to get highlights in my henna'd hair and to get layers. I looked at her, paused and said "NO."
Then I turned around again.

Her hair is fried and bleach blond, and doesn't grow much anymore. Go figure.

jasper
June 19th, 2010, 12:30 PM
It sounds as though the writer is envisaging a person who has body hair sprouting out from underneath their breasts, in which case we'd probably all agree that it's a "huge beauty faux pas," and they ought to shave or wax it off! Ha ha ha!

I had the same thought. :rolleyes:

It is also funny that it is supposed to be a "beauty" faux pas, as opposed to a fashion faux pas. This writer is passing judgement on something much bigger than someone who is just writing about what is trendy.