PDA

View Full Version : I need a hug :(

LittleOrca
April 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
So I am sure some of your regulars have noticed I have not been around much. Grad school and a new project (will talk about it in my blog later) has kept my busy. While grad school has kept me busy and stressed me out, that is not why I need a hug.

:( My hair is so thin now. :(

I lost probably 1/4 to 1/3 the thickness of my ponytail thanks to my surgery. For almost 3 weeks straight I was combing (gently) out close to 100 hairs a day or more (I know 100 is average for a person, but my average was more like 20 or below.) Just a 30 minutes ago, I probably combed out between 50-75 hairs.

I have been babying my hair like crazy. I put moisture into it, I have upped my protein intake and pills for hair health (biotin, selenium, herbal pills, etc), oiled it and left it alone for a few days, kept it in my satin cap at night, I even gave up swimming for the time being so I would not have to use the harsh shampoos on it to get the chemicals out and it's still thinning.

"Look forward to the halos!" or "Think of all the baby hairs!" isn't really helping me to be comfortable with this. I am so frustrated part of me wants to just shave it all off, but I know that (1) wont solve anything and (2) will erase the year and a half I have been growing out my virgin hair. I was going to cut off the dyed part eventually when my virgin hair was longer (only about 8.5 inches at the moment, might cut off the dye when virgin hair is at about 42 [where I am now.. or was before this shed]) but it's not worth it to me right now.

Summer is coming and I know I will wear my hair up most of the time anyways because of the heat, but it's like a disgusting scar that you have on your body. You may be able to cover it with clothes, but you know its there. And, I will admit it, I do like to wear my hair down occasionally just for the "Oooh" factor I get from some people. (Low self-esteem, my hair actually boosts it for me.) I just really needed a place to cry to and no one in my life outside this computer would understand, except maybe my fiancé and mother, but they have heard me cry enough I don't want to be a burden.

The only positive I can think of right now is that I do have a lot of hair toys so no matter what I am wearing I will have a hair toy for it. Eight ficcares, countless hair sticks both store bought and home made, hair forks, a snood, bun covers, scarves, slides, barettes and hair screws. I feel guilty for being sad when I look at my options and how well my buns can still hide how thin my hair has become and that just adds to my misery.

Does anyone have any advice?

Here are some pictures of my hair's condition. They are both from about 10 minutes ago. You can really see my virgin hair now too.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Length%20Shots/IMG_3141-1.jpg.....http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Length%20Shots/IMG_3142-1.jpg

Also, on an unrelated side note, it's been 1 month since my birthday and my stupid new MP3 Player isn't here yet that we ordered!

Demetrue
April 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
If it's any consolation, your hair still looks thicker than a lot of people's. It feels thin to you because you are used to super thick hair, but your hair still appears thicker than average.

NiAosSi
April 23rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
Aw, :grouphug: I really have no advice other than keep babying it for the time being and hopefully once your weight stabilizes your hair will, too. :flower:

little_acorn
April 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Firstly don't be so hard on yourself Orca - you've been through a tough time lately. Your hair to me still looks like beautiful mermaid hair and is still thicker than most. I would suggest carrying on with what you are doing already (babying, putting it up) and trying to focus on something else. Once the rest of your life has calmed down some it really won't seem nearly to bad to you. Personally, I would love to have your mermaid hair :flower:

BattahZ
April 23rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
I don't really have any advice either, but (((hugs)))!!! I haven't seen pics of your hair's previous condition, but it looks pretty thick and lovely to me.

TiaKitty
April 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
I did notice you weren't here... but I didn't know why. I hope you are feeling better after your surgery.

I have to say, those photies of your hair really are lovely. You must be feeling the shed more than it is showing, because it still looks luxurious to me!

Just keep dancing and swimming and doing things that get your heart rate up and the blood flowing to the scalp, and you'll be doing the best you can. The vitamins and tender care will surely help, too!

frizzalot
April 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
I can't say anything about the thickness of your hair from the picture but the condition of your hair looks lovely :)

:flower:
:grouphug:

restourceful
April 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
LittleOrca, I just looked at your length pictures in your album and, to me, it doesn't look that much thinner. But I know you are seeing the hairs coming out and you can feel the difference in thickness. I don't have any answers for you either, but I wanted you to know I think it still looks very beautiful! I hope you are able to find a way to not stress about it as well as all the other things that have stressed you. I'm sending good unstressed tress thoughts your way! :grouphug:

LittleOrca
April 23rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks everyone.

I think restourceful has it right. Most people I guess wont see the difference, but I can feel it, I can see it in the trashcan or when I am cleaning up. Maybe there is hope to wear it down once a month. Thank you for your support.

Quixii
April 23rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
I was wondering where you were! I was worried it was because of your hair. :(
I'm sorry it feels bad, but it still looks lovely. <3 Maybe you'll get one of those wonderful summer growth spurts which will add some thickness in a couple months. :)

halo_tightens
April 23rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
If it's any consolation, your hair still looks thicker than a lot of people's. It feels thin to you because you are used to super thick hair, but your hair still appears thicker than average.

I agree.

I completely understand being sad at the loss of so much hair. To someone who didn't know, though, your hair would only draw a second glance because of its beauty-- not thinness.

Take good care of yourself! :grouphug:

julya
April 23rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
When I lost a bunch of hair from a medication, I was really sad about it, for a long time. It helped me to try different updos, that hid the thinning areas. I lost a lot of hair from my temples, so pulling my hair straight back looked really bad on me, but doing a part looked better. And I avoided doing braids, they really highlight hairloss, in my opinion.

I started collecting my shed hair into little piles on my dresser, combining all the sheds from the week into a plastic bag. Then I'd compare each week's worth of sheds to see if the piles were shrinking, and eventually they did. I never had the patience to actually count sheds myself.

Take care of yourself, and you hair looks lovely to me in the photos.

serious
April 23rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm so sorry you are going through this thinning thing, but have to agree with others-
your hair is still thicker then most and I'm sure no one will notice the difference, you have such a beautiful hair !

janeytilllie
April 23rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about the stress with your hair :grouphug:

Your hair looks beautiful in the photos :flower:

Keep babying your hair and looking after yourself.
Take care :grouphug:

little_cherry
April 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Aww, sweetie :grouphug:

Your hair still looks very beautiful!

chopandchange
April 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Oh, poor Little Orca!

I can see how much your hair means to you and I know it must be making you very sad. I'm so sorry.

I hope it gets thicker again soon. :flower:

loralie
April 23rd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Awww, I've always thought your hair is absolutely gorgeous, it looks just beautiful in those pictures. Don't get too down... mine is thinner than that normally!! Time heals everything. It will get thicker. I'm sorry for whatever you've been through and I hope you recover soon! :blossom:

nycstar
April 23rd, 2010, 04:26 PM
So I am sure some of your regulars have noticed I have not been around much. Grad school and a new project (will talk about it in my blog later) has kept my busy. While grad school has kept me busy and stressed me out, that is not why I need a hug.

:( My hair is so thin now. :(

I lost probably 1/4 to 1/3 the thickness of my ponytail thanks to my surgery. For almost 3 weeks straight I was combing (gently) out close to 100 hairs a day or more (I know 100 is average for a person, but my average was more like 20 or below.) Just a 30 minutes ago, I probably combed out between 50-75 hairs.

I have been babying my hair like crazy. I put moisture into it, I have upped my protein intake and pills for hair health (biotin, selenium, herbal pills, etc), oiled it and left it alone for a few days, kept it in my satin cap at night, I even gave up swimming for the time being so I would not have to use the harsh shampoos on it to get the chemicals out and it's still thinning.

"Look forward to the halos!" or "Think of all the baby hairs!" isn't really helping me to be comfortable with this. I am so frustrated part of me wants to just shave it all off, but I know that (1) wont solve anything and (2) will erase the year and a half I have been growing out my virgin hair. I was going to cut off the dyed part eventually when my virgin hair was longer (only about 8.5 inches at the moment, might cut off the dye when virgin hair is at about 42 [where I am now.. or was before this shed]) but it's not worth it to me right now.

Summer is coming and I know I will wear my hair up most of the time anyways because of the heat, but it's like a disgusting scar that you have on your body. You may be able to cover it with clothes, but you know its there. And, I will admit it, I do like to wear my hair down occasionally just for the "Oooh" factor I get from some people. (Low self-esteem, my hair actually boosts it for me.) I just really needed a place to cry to and no one in my life outside this computer would understand, except maybe my fiancé and mother, but they have heard me cry enough I don't want to be a burden.

The only positive I can think of right now is that I do have a lot of hair toys so no matter what I am wearing I will have a hair toy for it. Eight ficcares, countless hair sticks both store bought and home made, hair forks, a snood, bun covers, scarves, slides, barettes and hair screws. I feel guilty for being sad when I look at my options and how well my buns can still hide how thin my hair has become and that just adds to my misery.

Does anyone have any advice?

Here are some pictures of my hair's condition. They are both from about 10 minutes ago. You can really see my virgin hair now too.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Length%20Shots/IMG_3141-1.jpg.....http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Length%20Shots/IMG_3142-1.jpg

Also, on an unrelated side note, it's been 1 month since my birthday and my stupid new MP3 Player isn't here yet that we ordered!

Hi ((((HUGS))))...
I think your hair looks thick and lovely. I totally understand you about school. I'm starting my graduate program in September and am remembering what it was like as an undergrad and post graduate student. I'm sending positive energy your way! Do NOT cut your hair. As you stress level decreases... your ummmph in your hair will return--and mind you, that ummmph is in your head because your hair is beautiful in that photo.

gink001
April 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hi, I haven't seen your hair before, so my eyes are fresh :) and I think your hair is gorgeous! My first thought certainly wasn't (OMG is her hair thin!)...honestly, it wasn't my second, third, or any thought. It may feel thinner because you are used to it thicker, but it certainly doesn't *look* thin by any means!

Schefflera
April 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
Your hair now looks much thicker than mine has ever been, and it looks very pretty.

I'm sorry you're distressed, though.

maxzeen
April 23rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
Oh LittleOrca, Your hair looks wonderful! It doesn't look thin at all. It looks healthy and thick. Don't be so hard on yourself because you are just going to stress yourself out more. Try and look at the more positive side of things -- you've got amazing wavy hair, your on your way to virgin hair, and your hair looks super healthy and shiny. So please don't be sad. There is always a positive that is greater than the negative. :flower:

Lamb
April 23rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
:grouphug: :grouphug:
Your waves are adorable, like the wind-rippled surface of the sea! :)
Do make time to relax every day. Grad school is teh pits sometimes. Just lying down for 10 minutes has saved my sanity many a time.

az_sweetie01
April 23rd, 2010, 05:28 PM
:grouphug: Like someone else said, the appearance is as lovely as ever but, I understand that it feels different and it's disheartening to see so much hair come out. I hope that things level off soon for you and good luck with school!

sarah061
April 23rd, 2010, 06:10 PM
I've missed seeing your insightful posts around here Little Orca! I'm sorry you're going through this :( You take such excellent care of your hair - I'm sure it'll thicken up again in no time. I agree with Lamb; make sure you take some time each day for relaxation. That always makes me feel happier and healthier in general and stress can be stress can be so hard on a body.

linda g
April 23rd, 2010, 06:50 PM

I'm so sorry the shedding is making you feel bad :( Your hair is still so pretty and shiny, though.

rusika1
April 23rd, 2010, 06:50 PM
I can sympathize having gone though a big shed last summer...

But you know what? Your hair still looks great; go ahead and wear it down once in a while. I promise you other people will still be impressed!

And don't waste your shed hair--save it to make a rat!

RavennaNight
April 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
:grouphug: I think your hair still looks great! Don't sweat it too much. Seriously, I don't see thinness at all. Fairytale ends? Yes. But as I recall you always had those and it is part of your look. The shedding will pass. Don't forget the surgery you had put your body through a big stress.

manderly
April 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
LittleOrca, if it's any consolation at this point, think of how THICK your hair will look against your body as it gets slimmer! :D

The thinner longhairs look like they have oodles more hair that we heavier girls. Soon your hair will completely cover your back and you'll be drowning in it!!

(I hope that makes you feel better, it was in no way meant to be derogatory to heavier members, so please no one take it that way)

redneckprincess
April 23rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
I think your hair is beautiful (and I PROMISE I'm not "just saying that") I would give just about anything to have your hair "as is" though I personally would trim back to waist. But only because as of now that's as long as I want to go...

saskia_madding
April 23rd, 2010, 08:32 PM
:hugs: I have nothing original to add, but I'm thinking of you and hoping you're well!

GlassEyes
April 23rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
:( I'm sorry you're upset, LittleOrca. If it helps...I can't see a visual difference in your hair at all. Still looks thick as anything.

I know that doesn't help the loss in circumference, but at least you can wear it down and not worry about it looking thin, if that makes any sense.

frodolaughs
April 23rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
I was going to comment earlier today, but then I lost the thread--I thought it was a blog entry. Your hair still looks absolutely gorgeous--it looks like it's something from one of my favorite illustrated fairytale books. I know it doesn't feel that way to you, since you can tell the difference, but I hope you'll feel better about it soon.

You're going through a lot--school stresses alone are enough to wreak havoc on my hair and skin, so I can really imagine that piling on post-surgery stresses has to make things much, much worse. Your body is really going through a lot right now, even if you're well past your 'official' recovery time. It takes time to adjust, and you will--please don't despair.

I'm sending hugs and good wishes your way.

K_Angel
April 23rd, 2010, 10:45 PM

LittleOrca
April 23rd, 2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks everyone. I bought myself a scarf today to add to my hair-toy collection to give it some extra protection, especially days I am feeling more self-conscious. I also got some more hair food... aka deep treatment products for later. I'm trying to relax too. :)

JamieLeigh
April 24th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Your hair is so beautiful. I think yours looks a lot thicker than mine does (mainly because I think your circ was larger than mine to start with), and I've lost a lot of hair lately too. :(

I would just keep going with what you've been doing - if it's inner-body related than nothing you do on the outside, like trimming or changing a hair routine, will make the condition lessen. :grouphug: If I had that many hair toys, I'd be in heaven!! :D

Aditi
April 24th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Just yesterday i was wondering how come i don't see your posts anymore :(
I am sorry for your hair and i am glad you are trying to relax, stress will only make things worse for you :)

Purdy Bear
April 24th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Im so sorry your having to go through this. As an Alopecian I know exactly how you feel. When your hair isnt well, it really gets one down, there is however a lot you can do.

If you havent done so, I would go see your Doctor so you can cross of any of the usual suspects (ie anaemia, thyroid problems etc), since you dont usually loose 100 hairs a day, something is going on.

I think your stress levels may also be a suspect, you may wish to introduce things that help you relax really well. I meditate on having healthy hair, and Iv found it really helps my psychology as well as my body.

Iv found doing hot compresses helps hair growth. I dont have much scalp hair, so I dont know how it would affect the hair. I use a hand hot wet flannel on the head until the water goes cooler (dunk flannel in the water, ring out well and place on the head), obviously you dont use boiling water. I do this twice a day followed by a massage of the scalp.

Iv also found Balayam (nail rubbing) to be very good, how it works I dont know, but it seems too.

Also Iv got a noticeable change with eatting spinach, yoghurt, meat, swiss chard, avocado, apples and oats, so you may wish to up your diet with those. I suspect its the iron and the Biotin.

I hope this is of help.

jackiesjottings
April 24th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Lots of *hugs* :((

Loreley
April 24th, 2010, 05:53 AM

Calista
April 24th, 2010, 06:05 AM
I&#180;m sorry you feel down, LittleOrca. I can imagine it must be very frustrating losing your hair like that. Like many others, I can&#180;t see any thinning, either. Maybe that is because your hair was so thick to begin with, or maybe it is because while there&#180;s less of your hair there&#180;s less of the rest of you as well, and in proportion your hair looks the same. I mean come on, you look great in those pics! :thumbsup:

chopandchange
April 24th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Edit: Ooops please ignore.

Pixna
April 24th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Your hair still looks beautiful, Little Orca. I can't really tell the difference, even though I know you can. Hang in there -- the thickness you are used to will return. In the meantime, take this opportunity to baby your hair and baby yourself. You deserve some extra-special lovin' and hugs!! :grouphug:

vanity_acefake
April 24th, 2010, 08:01 AM
LittleOrca, your hair still looks gorgeous, long, healthy and beautiful. I'm sorry you are having a hard time and you are shedding more than usual. Hopefully the shedding will stop soon. Sending you happy thoughts.

rags
April 24th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I honestly can't see any difference, LittleOrca, though I know you can feel it! (been there , done that). Your hair still looks wonderfully thick and beautiful! It's thicker there than mine has ever been, and I wear mine down in public, so fear not! The only looks you are going to get are ones of admiration for your lovely mermaid locks!

Beansidhe
April 24th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I don't really have any advice, but if it's any consolation...you have *amazing* hair! I'm new here and you are one of my biggest hair inspirations! I can sympathize with how traumatic it can be to lose that much hair, I lost about 1/3 to 1/2 my hair after preganancy a few years ago. It's not an easy thing to go through, especially if you feel like your long hair is your best physical asset. Really though, the pictures you just took of your hair are beautiful. It's still much thicker than a lot of people could ever hope for, and it truly looks like it's right out of a fairytale! :)

Stephichan
April 24th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Your hair is still gorgeous, thinner or no. I've had problems lately with stress-related shedding, but I ended up taking the plunge and cutting (my hair was nowhere near as long as yours is, though.)

If you don't mind my asking, why are you taking selenium? I ask, because the vast majority of people don't need to take it at all, and in fact, it's actually very toxic. It may be hurting you rather than helping you in this case.

My biochemistry professor last semester told us this: "I was in the store, and saw supplements for selenium. Now, your body does need some, but it usually gets to us in diet. Too much selenium is toxic. Next thing you know, they'll be telling us that we need Mercury supplements."

sibylla
April 24th, 2010, 11:17 AM
:kitten::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:many hugs from little me!

Your hair looks lovely.Go easy on yourself.You had surgery my God you need healing time,so does your hair.If you feel depressed in general I would suggest you get help from a professional.I have someone to talk to every fort night about my self esteem amongst other things as I don´t want to bother my BF and friends to much.
Lighten up beautiful.Pamper yourself!
Much love!

spidermom
April 24th, 2010, 11:25 AM
You can definitely wear your hair down; it looks good. I know it must be distressing to see it getting thinner, but remember - a lot of people right here at LHC have much thinner hair than you do even now. You're blessed; appreciate it. Hugs.

LittleOrca
April 24th, 2010, 12:32 PM
If you don't mind my asking, why are you taking selenium?

I was told by my surgeon to take it. The vast majority of my nutritional needs (vitamins, minerals, etc) don't come to me from food now as much as they had in the past so I am taking a lot more pills than I have before. I'm probably eating less than half of the typical American diet (minus the burgers and other 'American' foods that I cannot have anymore and don't miss too much anyways) so just about everything has to come from pills except the protein which comes from whey drinks and other protein drinks to make sure I get at least 120 grams of just protein a day.