PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying Simplified.

lovelylaura
April 23rd, 2010, 12:51 PM
So. I read all this about clarifying but who what when why where?! How often, with what, why would I need to clarify, when would I need to clarify, and where- whole head or just scalp? Different products for clarifying for different purposes (protein or cone build-up)? What do I do after clarifying?

Thanks Ladies (and Gents)!

Katurday
April 23rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
As far as I know, clarifying is for a buildup on the hair - protein, cones, styling products, what have you. Buildup prevents moisture from penatrating, thus causing dull, waxy and unagreeable hair. Some clarify on schedule, but these people seem to be cone or protein users. Most of us sls-free and cone-free just seem to clarify when our hair starts misbehaving. Some people do the baking soda clarify, some use a specific shampoo, and as for me I use cheap SLS shampoo two to three times.

When I clarify, I rub it all over my hair, down to the tips. The product is built up everywhere so it doesn't make sense to do a scalp only-wash.

princessp
April 23rd, 2010, 01:01 PM
I am new at this, in fact I just bought my first clarifying shampoo today and so I have some of the same questions you do. But anyway, as I understand it clarifying helps rid your hair of any build up from products and environment. I believe it is suggested that one clarifies every 6-8 weeks. I look forward to reading what others have to add.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 23rd, 2010, 01:03 PM
o_o;

okay, i'll try to cover some of those questions: You clarify because products you use builds up on your hair, preventing moisture to enter and making your hair feel "velcro-ey". You can clarify the ends, ends& length or whole hair, depending on where the buildup happens. You simply use a strong detergent like sulfates (sodium laureth sulfate and/or ammonium laureth sulfate, which is harsher than the former) to wash your hair.

That's it :) HTH

spidermom
April 23rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
I usually dilute my shampoo and wash scalp area only, but if I feel I need to clarify, I use the shampoo full strength and massage the suds all the way down the length. I don't have to do this very often, however. Most styling products are water soluble and rinse right out, but there are exceptions, and even oil seems to build up after awhile, making my hair dull and grabby. But like I said, this doesn't happen very often, maybe once in 2-3 months.

chopandchange
April 23rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
You may want to clarify your hair and scalp, or, like me, you may choose to clarify your hair only, because your scalp may be sensitive to the harsh ingredients in shampoos.

Carolyn
April 23rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Clarifying is on an as needed basis, even if you have an "every 6 weeks I clarify" schedule. It's still "as needed". Clarifying is often the first thing to do when you started having hair misbehaving issues. Build up can cause all sorts of problems from velcro ends to dull, lank hair. The purpose of clarifying is to remove the residue that has built up on your hair. Yes it can be harsh. That's why it's recommended to use a rich moisturizing conditioner after a clarifying wash. That puts the moisture back. There are many ways and many products to do this. I prefer a commercial clarifying shampoo. Regular SLS poo doesn't do it for me and I found baking soda to be too harsh and not necessary. I shampoo with the clarifyin shampoo from roots to tips. I don't scrub at my hair but I squeeze the shampoo suds down the length and make sure all my hair is covered with the suds. After the clarifying shampoo I often do a SMT made with something like Biolage Conditioning Balm or the now discontinued Kenra Intensive Emollient Treatment. I like to leave that on at least an hour and often much longer. Sometimes I'll use my heat cap with it. HTH