PDA

View Full Version : Dance concert hair

XJawbreaker
April 23rd, 2010, 10:07 AM
This entire week I have been at tech/dress for my college's Student Dance Works concert which is tonight and tomorrow. I'm required to wear my hair slicked back in a low bun. I have been using aloe gel instead of hairspray, and MAN can I tell the difference in my hair's condition!
This is the first time I've used aloe gel for a dance concert, so I'm really excited that I wont have to super baby my hair to recover from all the hairspray! Though it is still a little dry on the ends because I have no choice other than to use bobby pins to keep my bun in. I have so many layers that it just looks messy without them.
I know there are other dancers on LHC! I'd like to hear about your experiences with recital and concert hair. Even if you're not a dancer and you've had to put your hair up in a tight bun for some occasion, I'd like to hear about it! :)

Stephichan
April 23rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
My hair's too short now for many styles, but before I cut it I would always wear a braid or medium bun for dance class. I liked french braids because they contained my bangs better than buns. Buns were okay, but since I couldn't really secure them with hairsticks, I had to try to do what I could with elastics and scrunchies. I'm not in "real" dance classes at the moment, so the instructors don't really care about the hair.

glass in bloom
April 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM
I usually wear a hairstick bun to class. But lately I've been going to a class with a whole lot of floorwork, so the only thing that will stay in is a Dutch Crown.

When I was in high school in recitals and things, I always used TONS of hairspray. But now that I'm out in the real world, I don't really wear anything like that for my shows. My hair stays up pretty well on its own, and flyaways I handle with carefully placed pins. But then again, the super slicked look isn't all that common in Modern, so a lot of the choreographers I work for prefer it like that so that it looks more natural.

blendedchaitea
April 23rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
In our dance troupe we do half-up half-down for shows. Whenever I watch our videos I see my hair go EVERYWHERE. x_x I'd prefer to wear it all up in a bun, but whatever the choreographer says goes.

I don't mind using the hairspray so much. Aloe gel and my hair don't get along, so I just bobby pin and mousse and spray the crap out my hair, and treat it nicely once the show's over. Besides, it's fun getting all primped together before the show. ^-^