PDA

View Full Version : Are Braids Outdated?

countryhopper
April 23rd, 2010, 06:38 AM
Don't get me wrong... I love braids and often wear them myself. In fact, today I wore a diagonal french braid. But...

...I can't help remembering wearing them in the 90s. With 90s clothes. Couple that with the fact that braids are not that common where I live.

Does anyone else feel this way? How do you "modernize" your braids to avoid looking like you're stuck in a time warp?

morecowbell
April 23rd, 2010, 07:00 AM
I don't think so at all! Braids are timeless, and especially now, with all of the 'boho' trends going on, I'm seeing them everywhere. :)

Check out this link:
http://www.bellasugar.com/Eight-Different-Ways-Wear-Trendy-Braids-3063728?page=0,0,2

I love Isla Fisher's cascade/fairytale braid! :D

marikamt
April 23rd, 2010, 07:06 AM
Braids are definitely 'in'....... I live in a college town and you see them everywhere, especially the boho thing like morecowbell said.

Just don't wear the giant 90's bow with it :D

Loreley
April 23rd, 2010, 07:13 AM
I think they are fashionable now, especially side-braids. :)

chopandchange
April 23rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
I think braiding is a technique that's been used in just about every culture, civilisation, and century.

I assume that, since you are asking this question at all, you are a person who cares about fitting in with the current trends and looking just like everyone else. It sounds like you're worried people will think you are stuck in an 80's or 90's timewarp.

Personally, I couldn't care less about following whatever the current fashion may be! Start your own fashion; that's what I say! :D

countryhopper
April 23rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the link, morecowbell! It looks like there are lots of headband-y braids now. And the braids that incorporate all the hair are much looser than the 90s braids that were very snug and neatly done.

Hmm. Note to self: try doing more messy braids.

Side note: Did it look like Isla Fisher's braid was a reversed lace braid? Or a large cornrow? I can't tell...

Maddy25
April 23rd, 2010, 07:25 AM
I know what you are saying, I remember a lot of low braids in the 90's, straight down the back, but I still think they are beautiful :D

moominhapa
April 23rd, 2010, 07:26 AM
I definitely think they're in. Especially accent braids or a headband braid of some kind, and side braids too. A regular french braid is maybe not quite as trendy, but I still wear them, and I don't think they look too outdated unless you're wearing a huge velveteen scrunchie or something. :)

moominhapa
April 23rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
T
Side note: Did it look like Isla Fisher's braid was a reversed lace braid? Or a large cornrow? I can't tell...

I think it's a fairytale braid. See here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VtZ2ps-yrg

morecowbell
Thanks for the link, morecowbell! It looks like there are lots of headband-y braids now. And the braids that incorporate all the hair are much looser than the 90s braids that were very snug and neatly done.

Hmm. Note to self: try doing more messy braids.

You're very welcome! :D
I've been messing around with messy braids, too, and I love em!

It looks to me like a fairytale braid, did a google image search, and that's what it looks most like to me... I'd love to learn how to do that! :)

morecowbell
I think it's a fairytale braid. See here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VtZ2ps-yrg

Hehe, beat me to it! :laugh:

Masara
April 23rd, 2010, 07:37 AM
I remember wearing a lot of French braids in the 80s and 90s. I don't know if it was because they were fashionable, or because I just happened to like them. I know one of the reasons was that very few people around me knew how to do them, so tit was a good way to show off a bit.

I still do them, I still get complimented on them and I still like them, so I'm going to keep on doing them. But then, even when I try (not that I've tried for a long while), I never manage to look fashionable; I don't think it's something I can do :p

minkstole
April 23rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
I don´t think they ever go out of style.
Braids are a great way to overcome some of those inbetween stages (growing out bangs, etc).

spidermom
April 23rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
I've noticed a lot of braids this year - on the runway, on celebrities, and on me. I'm "in" for once, and I don't even need a hair-piece to accomplish it.

joiekimochi
April 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
Braids are sooooo hot right now, just like that damn Hansel.

PineappleJello
April 23rd, 2010, 09:17 AM
I think even french braids are still kind of 'in'. Girls at my school always wore them (2 years ago).

sibiryachka
April 23rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
I've noticed a lot of braids this year - on the runway, on celebrities, and on me. I'm "in" for once, and I don't even need a hair-piece to accomplish it.

It slays me that my "Meh, it'll do for a trip to the grocery store" look is now the in thing. Just goes to show you that everything comes back around eventually! :D
It's also working out well for me just now, as the growing-out layers are at an insanely awkward stage where *nothing* confines them for long. Messy braids are pretty much the only braids on the menu these days.

Gumball
April 23rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
Braids are very versatile. You can do them vertically, diagonally, more than one, wear them down, put them up, etc. If you feel like they're outdated, then do something with them that you can't seem to put a date to. I wear a braid basically daily, and it's usually bunned up, and I don't feel dated at all. :D

Armelle
April 23rd, 2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I kinda think that the one big french braid is rather 90's. Especially with big poofy bangs. :D I think though that people would braid their hair and clip it close to the nape of the neck because their hair wasn't actually all that long. I agree with the above posters who've said that softer braids look good now.

lovelylaura
April 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
NOOO!! LOL I have been wearing braids all the time lately and people are giving SO many compliments and asking to learn how!

Today I parted my hair sideways (on the left in the front ending more towards the right in the back) french braided both sections back for kind of a half-up style but then threw it all up in a twisted bun. Looks awesome! Even got a male compliment! Took not even 15 minutes.

Idun
April 23rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
I think it depends where you are in the world. I donīt remember french braids beeing fashionable in the 90īs at all. I do however remember them from the 80īs. And the Bo Derek braids ofcourse. (I googled the film and shockingly it was from 1979!) Where I live young women still do a lot of the small accent braids at the moment. Women past 30 mostly have too short hair to braid.

Xandergrammy
April 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
I have no problem with being stuck in a time warp, but I don't think braids ever go out of fashion.

Angela_Rose
April 23rd, 2010, 01:06 PM
I rememmmmmber, doin' the Time Warp...

Ahem. Sorry about that. I love my braids! Beyond the fact that I'm not exactly up on the latest trends, nor am I a fashionista, braids are a really practical and lovely way to keep my hair out of my eyes. I've had all sorts of braids- crown, lace, French, Dutch, multi-stranded (including that insane eleven strander from Pennsic!), accent, you name it- and they're wonderful.

Maddy25
April 23rd, 2010, 01:32 PM
I rememmmmmber, doin' the Time Warp...

Ahem. Sorry about that. I love my braids! Beyond the fact that I'm not exactly up on the latest trends, nor am I a fashionista, braids are a really practical and lovely way to keep my hair out of my eyes. I've had all sorts of braids- crown, lace, French, Dutch, multi-stranded (including that insane eleven strander from Pennsic!), accent, you name it- and they're wonderful.

Now that song is stuck in my head :p

Oskimosa
April 23rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
A braid is VERY out of fashion in my area. Incorporating small ones can be in, but most of the stuff you see in magazines or on runways takes ages to get translated to everyday styles, and you just end up looking out of it or frumpy to people who don't "get" it. Lucky for me, braids are extremely uncomfortable, so I don't do them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel like I have to look like everyone else. I don't think anyone here has problems wearing their hair outside of the social norm or needs approval from others to do so ;) And that's awesome. Braids look outdated to me so I don't care for them. My non-name-brand hippie fringed purses, however... you'll have to pry those from my cold, dead fingers.

abbatabba1137
April 23rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
I agree with everyone here! Braids are timeless, and whenever worn, will guarantee compliments and stares! I challenged myself to wear some-sort of braid everyday of the last year, and boy did I get 'Ooo's' and 'Aahh's'.....

Angela_Rose
April 23rd, 2010, 02:10 PM
Now that song is stuck in my head :p

You're welcome.
Sing it with me, now!

FrannyG
April 23rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Actually braids are more popular in the culture than they have been for a long time. Having said that, I believe that braids never, ever go out of style. They've been around for millenia for a reason. :)

KBG
April 23rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
I think braiding is a technique that's been used in just about every culture, civilisation, and century.

I assume that, since you are asking this question at all, you are a person who cares about fitting in with the current trends and looking just like everyone else. It sounds like you're worried people will think you are stuck in an 80's or 90's timewarp.

Personally, I couldn't care less about following whatever the current fashion may be! Start your own fashion; that's what I say! :D

:agree: So true! Braids are amazingly classic!

RedStripe
April 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Also check out this article:
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/fashion/the_braidy_bunch_NVQfhl8kfMf0V7oTZXPSUI#ixzz0lpkWh PVf

Pallas
April 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Pfff... Eversince I played Tomb Raider, with the heroine wearing a long braid, I've loved braids and as Tomb Raider got more popular, the braid became more popular too. At least, that's what I've noticed in my environment.

Anyway, aside from that little tidbit of my appreciation for braids, any braid can always look as modern or oldschool as you like. If you do wear to 90s gear... yeah, you will look pretty flashback-ish XD But you can put flowers in it or whatever you want and if it goes with your outfit, the braid should adapt to the rest of the look, and not the other way around.

If that makes sense?

Otherwise, it shouldn't matter if other people think it's strange if you like it yourself.

Pallas
April 23rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Angela_Rose! OMG now I HAVE to watch that movie again XD

Ughhhh that song will be in my head for about 8 months now no matter what I try XD

BUT it's the most genius movie ever made and it's weirdness is pretty much a peek into my mind, so that's okay 8D

Sheltie_Momma
April 23rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
What is still, relentlessly, in-style here in the northern suburbs of Houston for the mid 30's aged Mom type woman is a bob that is shorter in back than in front with big chunky streaks of color and a deep side part. I think I'll stick with braids thank you very much.

RecklessCharlie
April 23rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
Braids are timeless.

david
April 23rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
Well in the UK plaits/braids are "the" style of the moment, with every magazine etc you pick up saying so. In fact the other week there was even a big article in a paper suggesting various braided styles. Everyone seems to be wearing their hair in side braid at the minute. I also got a girl come up to me to tell me how cool my french plait was asking if i done it myself etc...which I suppose being a guy you dont see many guys with their hair in a french plait. :lol:

So I would say in the UK plaits/braids are definately not outdated. If they arent in style where you are they will be soon. Besides you can always be the one that starts the trend in your area.

Quixii
April 23rd, 2010, 03:50 PM
Oh no, braids are big right now. They're in a lot of teen magazines and whatnot, and I see them all the time in school.
Besides from the fact that I just like them in general. :)

eternallyverdan
April 23rd, 2010, 04:08 PM
I'd say it depends on the braid. I'm not a fashion guru, but in my opinion certain kinds of braids are pretty fashionable right now, mainly loose, messy braids with a lot of volume and smaller accent braids on loose hair. When I want to look fashionable, I have two main types of braids; either I do a small horizontal french braid across my hairline like a headband, or I do a deep side part, fluff up the top of my hair, and do a loose braid to one side.

It all depends on what you like, though. I think all kinds of braids look lovely, and what kind of braid you wear depends on what you want it to do for your hair and what image you want to present to the world.

countryhopper
April 24th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I think I have to agree about snug french braids with the scrunchie on the end and pouf hairsprayed bangs can look pretty dated (I LIKE to wear snug french braids, minus the scrunchie and bangs, though!)

I'll have to try the fairytale braids... I relly like how they look!

I wish my hair was a bit longer, though, when I braid the length it doesn't look as nice as a long braid you can toss over your shoulder.

Fethenwen
April 24th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Braids are definitely in :cheese: I have seen so many braids lately on the streets, I also wear my hair often in a braid.

CrisDee
April 24th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Haha, in the Misread Thread Titles category, I thought this said "Are Brains Outdated?"!

Guess it's cos I live in New Jersey, and so often the answer appears to be yes...

:laugh:

Karala
April 24th, 2010, 07:26 AM
LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAAAAAIN!!

...erm. To be honest, the single braid down the back look, especially with a french braid, does look kinda outdated to me. Doesn't necessarily mean I feel I need to conform to modern trend; just that I'm not a fan of the look associated to the time era that single braids down the back evoke to me. For instance, I love the 70's look and I love to wear it, and I really don't care if it's in fashion or not according to magazines and all.

I do love side braids though, and wear them pretty often!

rags
April 24th, 2010, 08:44 AM
My daughter is very much into fashion, and she informs me that braids are most defintely "in" right now. Just not the kind I wear! :p (most often a single dutch or French braid tightly braided down the back. I do skip the scrunchie and the huge bangs though! :D) I really don't have enough hair (thickness) to look good with two braids or a side braid. :shrug: Good thing for me that I don't care what's in style or not!

princessp
April 24th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Honestly, I don't worry about it at all. I like braids so I wear them. I don't care if they are in style or not.

Dani
April 24th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I'm crazy about braids of any sort, and agree that they are totally classic. I've seen a ton of different braided styles around Arlington in the last year. Lots of french/dutch accent braids in updos, etc.

One style I saw last year that was just absolutely, drop-dead gorgeous was on this short cute girl (I'm short and cute too, but she was even shorter ;) I only say this because her very long hair was especially stunning and noticeable because of her size), and she had med-dark blonde, obviously natural hair that must have been between hip- and classic-length, because she had a loose french braid that went down her back and ended with a tie off that left 6 inches or so of hair "loose" at the end. She had started the french braid at about neck length and it was loose and amazing from there. It was laid back and natural-looking, and was just about the most GORGEOUS style I've ever seen in real life. I just had to post about it to give the idea to other long haired babes here. :D It was fantastic, and I never see that particular style anywhere, irl or online. That was a huge inspiration for me, and I am -so- going there. ;)

Gem
April 24th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Maybe it's a location thing, because to me a single, neat French braid isn't dated - it's a basic style, like a ponytail. Most of the girls I graduated with (in 2003) would wear a French braid occasionally.
To me, side braids look dated, but I still wear them because it's easier when I'm carrying DD on my back.

girloctopus
April 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM
What is still, relentlessly, in-style here in the northern suburbs of Houston for the mid 30's aged Mom type woman is a bob that is shorter in back than in front with big chunky streaks of color and a deep side part. I think I'll stick with braids thank you very much.

Wow. I truly dislike that cut.

Anyway, I don't think braids are outdated! I see tons of people with them around now, especially as an accent french going into a ponytail. I like it :)

DARKMARTIAN
April 24th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Even just the ACT of braiding is employed in many things.. Such as the making of actual rope and bundling together tension cabling for bridges and such, and in many other applications as well. It beautifies and makes things stronger..

...nahhh.....it'll never be outdated....;)

angelthadiva
April 24th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Maybe it's a regional/cultural thing :shrug: some sort of a braid is one of my "go to" style. Thursday and Friday this week, I wore my hair in twin English Braids with a cute bucket style hat. As a college "kid" I'm surrounded by a lot of girls who wear the Lauren Conrad side braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-pL1wh0Gs8)style. I've actually seen the style worn by just about every ethnicity; as our campus is quite diverse.

I wear cable and hawser braids sometimes and am often asked how to do them. I *think*, and going by some newer LHCers some people actually don't know *how* to braid, so I'm not sure that it is outdated, necessarily...Braiding well does take some skill and lots of practice that sadly a lot of people just haven't taken the time to master or perhaps have gotten frustrated with their results...I actually think braiding is a lost art in some parts.

I think it probably took me over 2 years to learn how to French braid especially on myself. I just couldn't get my fingers to do what I needed them to do on the back of my head!! At my current length; I can't get a Dutch braid to look right; my tension is all off. :(

superficial
April 24th, 2010, 11:40 AM
braids are never outdated imo

Yozhik
April 24th, 2010, 01:04 PM
You all have convinced me to wear a braided updo for the wedding I'm going to today! Braids are definitely in :)

angelthadiva
April 24th, 2010, 02:12 PM
You all have convinced me to wear a braided updo for the wedding I'm going to today! Braids are definitely in :)

Not to shamelessly promote *my* style, but if you go to the articles section and look for the Formal Brookie Updo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=34); I've done that several times and have had nothing but compliments on it. The LHCer Teazle has a stunning rendition of the style completely :thud: worthy!

ETA: I've just noticed that since I moved my photos around on photobucket the links for the step-by-step are broken now and the only photo that remains is the end result. :wail: I did include narration as well, but the photos help those who learn visually. I doubt I will have time anytime this week to redo this, I may do a youtube video for it. If I do, I will link that ;)

Ivy~Rose
April 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM
My take: Braids make me look even younger than I am, which is bad for me! I'm in a new job, fresh out of college, younger than everyone else, and a single braid down my back makes me look like a child--but two braids is much worse! I'm trying to prove that I'm knowledgeable and worth paying here!

There were girls in high school and college who could pull the one and two braids off looking super cute and hip, but their hair was no longer than APL--that's how it didn't look little-kid-y. Because of my length, I look (in my area) juvenile. Most women I see around here (northern Utah) rock the terrible Kate Gosselin hairdo (still!), long hair looks out of place anyway.

I do wear a rope braid from time to time, or an English braid tucked up at my nape and barrette-ed, but I don't like to wear a braid down. I play with my hair too much when it's not up :D

ETA: angelthadiva, I can't access that page :( can you post a picture of it?

angelthadiva
April 24th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Here is a picture of the end result.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd9/angelthadiva/Tutorials/100_0707.jpg

Underlig
April 24th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Ivy~Rose; try a side braid perhaps? I usually wear a half messy side fishtail braid if I wear braids. Something like this maybe? http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TSrjIzau_10/S2rYSUEfJRI/AAAAAAAABS4/YtiMSWlfZ2w/s320/Diane-Kruger_braid.jpg

And no, braids are definitely not outdated.

Ivy~Rose
April 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM
angelthadiva, that 'do is amazing! I will definitely try that :D

wilddaisies
April 24th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Braids are very stylish! I always admire braids in other peoples hair and have gotten quite a few compliments when I wear them. :)

wilddaisies
April 24th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Oh, and this thread is so neat! I love looking at all these braid ideas!

angelthadiva, that is gorgeous!

Yozhik
April 24th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Angelthadiva, thank you so much for the link to your tutorial article -- the updo is gorgeous!

Now I feel bad that I didn't check LHC again before I left . . . I looked over the instructions, though, and I'm having trouble visualizing :(
I'd love to see a youtube tutorial, though, if you ever get the chance :)

What I ended up doing was a French braid half-up leading into a bun -- I thought it looked pretty good, although the bun had a lot of pieces poking out because I'm not yet all one length . . .

I'll put it up in my album, if you want to see!

angelthadiva
April 24th, 2010, 10:27 PM
angelthadiva, that 'do is amazing! I will definitely try that :D

Oh, and this thread is so neat! I love looking at all these braid ideas!

angelthadiva, that is gorgeous!

Angelthadiva, thank you so much for the link to your tutorial article -- the updo is gorgeous!

Now I feel bad that I didn't check LHC again before I left . . . I looked over the instructions, though, and I'm having trouble visualizing :(
I'd love to see a youtube tutorial, though, if you ever get the chance :)

What I ended up doing was a French braid half-up leading into a bun -- I thought it looked pretty good, although the bun had a lot of pieces poking out because I'm not yet all one length . . .

I'll put it up in my album, if you want to see!

Thank you, thank you! This is my last weekend before finals, soooooo I poked around in photobucket to see if I kept the old tutorial, lucky for ya'll I did...I updated the article section and will try to load the pictures up to youtube...I've never done this with photos, so we shall see... :D

Formal Brookie Updo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=34)

Formal Brookie Updo Picture Tutorial (http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd9/angelthadiva/Tutorials/?action=view&current=946ba76f.pbw)

Yozhik
April 24th, 2010, 11:03 PM
That was awesome, and very instructive! Thank you :)

I wasn't understanding what to section off after the first crown section, but the photos completely explain it.

Is that your daughter? She has beautiful hair!

angelthadiva
April 24th, 2010, 11:55 PM
That was awesome, and very instructive! Thank you :)

I wasn't understanding what to section off after the first crown section, but the photos completely explain it.

Is that your daughter? She has beautiful hair!

I'm glad it helped. I'm a visual learner too; and monkey see; monkey do too ;)

Yes, that's DD from a few years ago. Her hair is just about TBL now. I have an album of her updos in my profile. She is very patient when I'm doing her hair :)

countryhopper
April 25th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Angelthadiva I LOVE that style! Not sure if it will work with my current length yet, but I'll kepp it in mind for the future! It looks easy but elegant!

aef231
April 25th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I'd say it depends on the braid. I'm not a fashion guru, but in my opinion certain kinds of braids are pretty fashionable right now, mainly loose, messy braids with a lot of volume and smaller accent braids on loose hair. When I want to look fashionable, I have two main types of braids; either I do a small horizontal french braid across my hairline like a headband, or I do a deep side part, fluff up the top of my hair, and do a loose braid to one side.

It all depends on what you like, though. I think all kinds of braids look lovely, and what kind of braid you wear depends on what you want it to do for your hair and what image you want to present to the world.

Agreed. I've been seeing a lot of the slightly messy, relaxed looking braids around. Also the braids that go off to the side, that sort of thing. Here's a couple of examples:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/loose%20braid/bdavies_photos/365-loose-side-braid-hot-long-ha-2.png

http://www.hairstylestalk.com/images/emilie-de-ravin1.jpg

file:///Users/dianne/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TSrjIzau_10/SLu8BjbXDwI/AAAAAAAAA0w/h6GZg7S5nnY/s200/JessicaBraids+2.jpg

http://hairstyleschat.com/tag/loose-ends

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nOqd_R3_SCg/Ss9cO_uUKII/AAAAAAAAAKQ/l0rO5Ob4LxY/s400/braids_01.jpg

http://primped2.hcdn1.net/images/uploads/daily_scrub/09_celebs/drew-barrymore-elegant-braided-hairstyle.jpg

Oskimosa
April 25th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Ugh, aint that the truth... some fashions just ought not be followed.

angelthadiva
April 25th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Angelthadiva I LOVE that style! Not sure if it will work with my current length yet, but I'll kepp it in mind for the future! It looks easy but elegant!

Thank you! I've wore it myself to two weddings and nobody believed I did it myself :D If DD8 is in another wedding; this will be the style :)

oceanwoman111
April 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Braids are sooooo hot right now, just like that damn Hansel.

LOL! Had to chime in. Hansel, so hot right now, Hansel.

I like braids and I think they are timeless ,but I have yet to wear a braid out dancing or during a show. I think it's because I don't like wearing my hair totally pulled off my face bc I don't like my nose. So it's hard for me to feel pretty with my hair all pulled back.

Miss Misha
April 25th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I'm a side braider because I have to see what I'm doing, LOL. Also, this is my go-to style when traveling because it doesn't require a security-unfriendly hair toy. (nothing quite like getting wanded for wearing one's hair neatly, KWIM?)

Since I'm growing out bangs, I'm trying the side braids to keep the little hairs in place until they're long enough to integrate with the rest of my hair.

Angelthdiva, though I'm only between APL and BSL, I'm sooooo trying that three braid wrap thing-y you linked to for my next fancy party or if I have enough time one morning before work (yeah, right....).

countryhopper
April 25th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Oh! another one I like is a herringbone braid. If you know how to do a frnech braid, you can easily do a herringbone. they look so complicated and intricate!

Angeletti
April 26th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I think braids are always great whether they are out of date or in style. I don't know what I'd do without some sort of french braid because they are awesome for working out! here are a few styles I have played around with...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/lacebraid.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/fairy.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/5strand.jpg

curlylocks85
April 26th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I think braids are always great whether they are out of date or in style. I don't know what I'd do without some sort of french braid because they are awesome for working out! here are a few styles I have played around with...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/lacebraid.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/fairy.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/5strand.jpg

Stunning! Do you have a tutorial of the Braid down your back?

Angeletti
April 26th, 2010, 12:46 PM
here is the video I found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz7FlauLlDE

it was my first time doing a five strand braid on myself but it looks nice once you get the technique down

wilddaisies
April 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Angeletti, the first picture with all your hair up is beautiful! :)

Angela_Rose
April 26th, 2010, 02:03 PM
All I know is that this is the coolest braid ever and I don't give a flip if braids are in style or not. So there! :cheese:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=735&pictureid=50655

Angela_Rose
April 26th, 2010, 02:04 PM
All I know is that this is the coolest braid ever and I don't give a flip if braids are in style or not. So there! :cheese:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=735&pictureid=50655

Ach. Forgot about my not being able to post photos from here.

This is the coolest braid ever. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=735&pictureid=50655)

2peasinapod
April 26th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I remember the thread about that braid! Amazing! :thud:

Capybara
April 26th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Some types of braids seem to be quite common nowadays :) I've gotten a lot of compliments on herringbone braids, I think those are coming back..

And wow, Angela_Rose!!

MommaJ
April 26th, 2010, 06:01 PM
How do you combat the arm fatigue when braiding your own hair? I get halfway done and my arms feel like they're falling off!

angelthadiva
April 26th, 2010, 07:03 PM
How do you combat the arm fatigue when braiding your own hair? I get halfway done and my arms feel like they're falling off!

Practice, practice, practice. Also; when you are braiding down at about shoulder length, flip your hair forward (this takes practice too) then finish braiding down the length.

christinemariep
April 26th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I agree that braids are a classic style and therefore do not go out of style. :)

curlylocks85
April 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
here is the video I found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz7FlauLlDE

it was my first time doing a five strand braid on myself but it looks nice once you get the technique down

Thanks Angeletti!

countryhopper
April 26th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Angelea rose, that 11 strand braid is AMAZING!! :thud: I can do a 5 strand, but I'd need another 4 hands to do an 11 strand...

Angeletti, PLEASE post instructions for the braided updo and fairytail braids in the article section! They are gorgeous!! :thud: :thud: Pretty, pretty, PLEASE??!! :D

TXbarbie
April 26th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Definitely in - that girl from The Hills would wear them all the time. Lauren Conrad or something?

Anyways I think she started a trend because a lot of sorority girls here will wear them to class :) You don't really see it downtown at night or anything though!

Angela_Rose
April 27th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the compliments on the eleven strand, everyone. I may have her do it again at Pennsic this summer.

Angeletti
April 27th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Angelea rose, that 11 strand braid is AMAZING!! :thud: I can do a 5 strand, but I'd need another 4 hands to do an 11 strand...

Angeletti, PLEASE post instructions for the braided updo and fairytail braids in the article section! They are gorgeous!! :thud: :thud: Pretty, pretty, PLEASE??!! :D
I just went to youtube and typed in fairytale braid and a couple good turorials are on there, and as for the updo that was one of my boredom let's do my hair moments, I started with a lace braid in the front and wrapped it around my head then just pony tailed and braided the back and pinned it up

countryhopper
April 27th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I just went to youtube and typed in fairytale braid and a couple good turorials are on there, and as for the updo that was one of my boredom let's do my hair moments, I started with a lace braid in the front and wrapped it around my head then just pony tailed and braided the back and pinned it up

Sounds easy! I'm sure you make it sound easier said than done :D

Unfortunately, I can't access youtube and many other video sites, that's why I was hoping there would be an article on this site explaining the directions :(

hmmm
May 1st, 2010, 10:13 AM
Haha, it's funny... here, all the 'in' kids only ever wear their hair open, in a pony tail, or in a half-up. Everyone else with long hair wears a single 3-strand braid. :D

Then again, when I cut my hair very short, I got some pretty rude comments, so where I live isn't exactly a nice place where everybody is all tolerant of everything you do with your hair. It's just, well, none of their business.

Amelia
May 1st, 2010, 10:21 AM
Last tuesday I went to get my first pot of coconut oil, and on my way to the shop saw three ladies/girls with braids. They seem to be everywhere I look. They seem very 'in' around here.

I hadn't braided my hair since I was a kid, and now I've been braiding my hair a lot+ putting it up to protrect the hair.

florenonite
May 1st, 2010, 10:59 AM
Braids are definitely in. Not all braids, necessarily, but single French braids and accent braids I've seen quite a lot on students around here, with all sorts of clothing. Oh, and single braids to the side. The ones I haven't seen much of are twin braids or single English braids down the back. Other French-style braids (5-strand or rope in-braided ones, for instance), I'm sure would still look fashionable; I've had compliments on a 5-strand braid recently.

ButterCream
May 1st, 2010, 12:18 PM
I envy people (in a good way that is;)) that has enough hair to make pretty braids!
In style or not? ...whatever, I don`t care, I think it is pretty anyway...:p