PDA

View Full Version : Losing Hair!

centurytoolate
May 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
After I lost dh I lost quite a bit of hair. I was starting to think it would all come out! Ever since at the least sign of stress it starts coming out again. I can't imagine there is anything I can do to stop it but its so upsetting to have chunks of hair come out in your hand. : (

lora410
May 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I am sorry to hear about your loss :grouphug: and I strongly suggest you see a doctor because I dont think clumps of hair during stress is normal.

helanek
May 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
i went through a huge stress - also lost somebody close in a tragic way. three years after i have lots of short hair growing back... but i had 2 or 3 bad episodes of shedding. my hair were coming out in hundreds at the time. it should get better but please do take care of yourself.
pm me if you want to talk.

heidi w.
May 6th, 2008, 04:22 PM
It could be a combination of stress and thyroid. In stress it doesn't usually fall out in whole chunks. Yes, lots of hair sheds, but not in whole section chunks or patches. That description is more likely something associated with thyroid. Even a borderline case (on the cusp of a more serious thyroid problem) can cause major havoc with hair and mood, for starters. Weight too.

So go see a doctor. A basic blood screen, such as at an annual ob-gyn appointment, should be able to screen this out.

Also, chronic low iron levels can lead to an increase in shedding.

heidi w.

jissy
May 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I have thyroid disease and chunks sounds about right when I know my levels are off. please go see the dr. get a thyroid panel done. TSH, T3,T4, Thyroid antibodies as well.

centurytoolate
May 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
You would think that after working in a pharmacy for years thyroid might have at least crossed my mind. I will definitely bring it up in my next doctor visit.

bugeyedmonster2
May 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
It could also be diabetes, which has lots of other complications that make hair loss seem small in comparison.

(^_^)/
BEM